PDA

View Full Version : 6/2 Daily Dime - Good stuff on Pops adjustment

Phil Hellmuth
06-02-2005, 03:11 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/dailydime?page=dailydime-050601

The most ingenious trick the Spurs used to keep the Suns from playing at their usual breakneck tempo: switching on the Suns' pick-and-roll plays in the third quarter.

Maybe you noticed how many times Steve Nash found himself guarded by Tim Duncan or Robert Horry on the perimeter, or how many times Amare Stoudemire found Tony Parker or Manu Ginobili attempting to check him in the post. Most sound-principled defenses don't switch because it creates easy opportunities for a quick guard to drive or pull up on a slower big man and a forward or center to back down a puny opposing guard.

The Spurs did switch, though, for long stretches of the game, and it was bait the Suns couldn't help themselves from taking. Time and again, they found themselves with a mismatch, spaced the floor and allowed Nash or Stoudemire to go to work.

The problem: it burned time, dragged the overall tempo, and lulled the Suns into playing a style that didn't get their crowd going or the Spurs tired.

"That did it," said Suns assistant coach Alvin Gentry. "Every time we saw a mismatch, we'd back the ball out and pound it trying to take advantage. That slowed us down as much as anything. It was truly smart on Pop's part."

The third quarter, of course, is the only period the Spurs outscored the Suns, taking an eight-point lead they never relinquished.

Sense
06-02-2005, 03:48 AM
Pop was always right...

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-02-2005, 03:58 AM
I don't see that Fire Pop character around tonight.

Solid D
06-02-2005, 04:07 AM
It initially looked to me like a matchup zone (man-principles, playing an area), but in actuality (after looking at replay of 2nd half), it was a switching D that also allowed the Spurs some leeway or flexibility on cross-matches in their transition defense. This way, the Spurs didn't have to scramble so much when they got back. The Suns only had 5 official fast break points in the second half.

JMarkJohns
06-02-2005, 04:13 AM
I'll be completely honest. While I picked San Antonio in 6 games even if the Suns had a healthy JJ, I still would have liked to see just how much better the Spurs are vs. the real Suns, if nothing else, so I know what it will take to reach that level.

With JJ missing the first two, I still have no real idea just how much better the Spurs are than the Suns. I guess, 2-1, but that's not helping me. My guess, is the Suns lose in six, probably splitting the first two in Phoenix, rather than dropping both.

Damn the Suns NEED Sean May. He's the rebounding beast and big body that the Suns lack. He loses 10 pounds, he'd be more than capable of running with Phoenix for 20+ minutes per.

EDIT: And by the way, this isn't meant as a slight towards the Spurs or the series. You play and win with who ya got, not who ya don't. I'm merely speaking as a guage for the future. It's hard to get a real measure with JJ missing the first two games.

smeagol
06-02-2005, 05:02 AM
Pop coached this game to perfection.

But people, he makes mistakes. He has made them in the past. Stop getting so upset when somebody points it out. The man is human, he is not infallible.

Dingle Barry
06-02-2005, 05:47 AM
I'll be completely honest. While I picked San Antonio in 6 games even if the Suns had a healthy JJ, I still would have liked to see just how much better the Spurs are vs. the real Suns, if nothing else, so I know what it will take to reach that level.

With JJ missing the first two, I still have no real idea just how much better the Spurs are than the Suns. I guess, 2-1, but that's not helping me. My guess, is the Suns lose in six, probably splitting the first two in Phoenix, rather than dropping both.

Damn the Suns NEED Sean May. He's the rebounding beast and big body that the Suns lack. He loses 10 pounds, he'd be more than capable of running with Phoenix for 20+ minutes per.

EDIT: And by the way, this isn't meant as a slight towards the Spurs or the series. You play and win with who ya got, not who ya don't. I'm merely speaking as a guage for the future. It's hard to get a real measure with JJ missing the first two games.

Whatever helps you sleep at night

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2005, 08:00 AM
I don't see that Fire Pop character around tonight.

You know what's funny? A lot of the stuff I criticized Pop about in game 4 (not using timeouts to stem Phoenix runs, using Beno more, going with the hot hand on offense instead of forcing it to certain people, etc.), he did in game 5.

There's a whole other thread where I called out Pop, notice you haven't shown yourself there.

Vashner
06-02-2005, 08:04 AM
I said earlier this year, to myself, that if Pop get's us TOO the finals..
not even winning. That I would forgive him for trading Malik.

Pop your forgiven for trading Malik now! You SLY DOG!

ChumpDumper
06-02-2005, 08:20 AM
I'll be completely honest. While I picked San Antonio in 6 games even if the Suns had a healthy JJ, I still would have liked to see just how much better the Spurs are vs. the real Suns, if nothing else, so I know what it will take to reach that level.By the same token, I would've liked to see how Devin Brown would've played in this series. He's no Johnson, but you can bet he would've logged significant time in this series that seems tailor-made for his talents.

FromWayDowntown
06-02-2005, 09:15 AM
By the same token, I would've liked to see how Devin Brown would've played in this series. He's no Johnson, but you can bet he would've logged significant time in this series that seems tailor-made for his talents.

Agreed. I don't sense that Suns fans appreciate the dynamic that Devin brings to this team when healthy. I think they assume that Devin isn't a big name, so he couldn't make a big difference.

Had Devin been healthy, the Suns would have had a much, much more difficult time hiding Nash on the defensive end in Games 3, 4, and 5. Nash was able to play on the weak side of the floor, hanging out with Bowen and Barry -- who combined to play well (in the whole) in Games 4 and 5. But if Devin is healthy, Pop could have played Parker, Manu, and Devin together; Nash couldn't guard Manu or Devin (who is far more offensively-dynamic than either Bowen or Barry), and would have been forced onto Parker again. Tony was almost dominant when he had Nash defending him and I'd think that would have continued had the Spurs been able to force that matchup. Pop could have played Devin in place of Bowen without losing much on the defensive end, too, which would have been huge.

CaptainLate
06-02-2005, 09:21 AM
I said earlier this year, to myself, that if Pop get's us TOO the finals..
not even winning. That I would forgive him for trading Malik.

Pop your forgiven for trading Malik now! You SLY DOG!

Wait till we have Nazr for a whole training camp and the regular season. I think Rasho gets traded for a future 1st Rounder or a young SF -- unless we think Scola is going to be our SF.

SpursChampsIII
06-02-2005, 09:30 AM

That's a fair post. I don't think it would have changed the outcome at all. I thought Jim Jackson was playing at about the same level as Joe could have in the first two games. Besides that, the Spurs were missing Devin Brown, who is a very capable scorer off the bench and a good defender to boot. I never thought the Spurs could sweep the Suns, but I don't think any other team in the NBA could have gone into Phoenix and taken 3 straight. Suns had a fantastic year, but the will have to gear their team toward beating the Spurs, because that's who they will have to go through the next few years. Funny, Spurs had to do the same for the Lakers.

wildbill2u
06-02-2005, 09:34 AM
By the same token, I would've liked to see how Devin Brown would've played in this series. He's no Johnson, but you can bet he would've logged significant time in this series that seems tailor-made for his talents.

I agree that this series couldn't have been better for Devin's talents. That being said, I didn't think he'd heal his injury and would've left him off the playoff roster in favor of Wilks. Even that small amount of time a few games ago apparently gave him some trouble with his back.

Do you think he'll be well enough to give some minutes in the Finals or is he just gonna pick up information along with the splinters?

boutons
06-02-2005, 10:16 AM
"apparently gave him some trouble with his back."

who says?

GoSpurs21
06-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Pop coached this game to perfection.

But people, he makes mistakes. He has made them in the past. Stop getting so upset when somebody points it out. The man is human, he is not infallible.So are the players, especially our 3 stars...I just wish people would remember that.