PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want to face in the finals??

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-02-2005, 04:00 AM
and why?

Chief
06-02-2005, 04:07 AM
I picked the heat because although Phoenix and Miami don't have the same exactly style of play. I believe if you let Shaq and Wade go, and just contain the others, You'll Win.

Just like we let Nash and Amare (I know we didn't exactly "let them") go off, and we contained everyone else.

Sense
06-02-2005, 04:11 AM
The Pistons...as bad as I want to beat shaq in the finals... I think that beating Detroit will be sweeter.

Showing them who the better defensive team is and knocking them out can be great.

I think we will get the respect we deserve and it will show that last year was a fluke..and that..fisher's shot made a difference in champions.

slayermin
06-02-2005, 05:04 AM
The refs will allow Shaq to do whatever he wants in the Finals. Also, I am worried about Horry reverting back to "trying too hard" against his former Faker buddy.

But I really want to see the last two champions go at it.

Rick Von Braun
06-02-2005, 05:31 AM
Both teams are tough.

I think it will be easier for the Spurs to play against the Heat. It would be very sweet to defeat Shaq's team as well.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-02-2005, 05:41 AM
Both teams are tough.

I think it will be easier for the Spurs to play against the Heat. It would be very sweet to defeat Shaq's team as well.

Whoever wins.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-02-2005, 05:48 AM
I want to see the heat, just because I think it'd be funner to watch, and a spurs vs. pistons series, would have terrible tv ratings, no matter how good a series it would turn out to be.

WalterBenitez
06-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Miami, why? they are not Champs, so they don't have the experience (well Shak is there), and mainly because Pistons is a balanced team, is like to play against you, or try fight against yourself (in front of the mirror)

SouthernFried
06-02-2005, 06:49 AM
I wanna see the best teams in the playoffs. Whoever wins the Eastern Conference will be the best team in the East...so, I don't care who it is.

But, if Miami wins...the media orgy over Shaq and Wade will be a little sickening to see.

err...go detroit

ambchang
06-02-2005, 07:01 AM
The Pistons will probably match up against the Spurs the best, but there is nothing better than beating the champion to be the champion.
Also, the Spurs have gone through the toughest possible matchups, and they might as well keep the trend going.
The Nuggets were supposed to be the toughest 1st round match up, and there were a lot of talks as to how the Nuggets are going to go deep in the playoffs. Then the Sonics, a team that matches up with the Spurs perfectly. And then the Suns, the best regular season team featuring an offense nobody can stop.

smackdaddy11
06-02-2005, 07:06 AM
Nobody plays Tim Duncan beter one on one that Rasheed Wallace. He did it in Portland and has done it with Detroit. Shaq's defense on the pick and roll is horrific. Give me the Heat.

Old School Chic
06-02-2005, 07:10 AM
Both teams are good, but I don't mind watching Shaq get beat like the good old days when he was a Laker.

BronxCowboy
06-02-2005, 07:40 AM
I don't want to see the Heat in the finals because if we do, we'll keep hearing about how Shaq and Wade are the new Shaq and Kobe forever. It already makes me sick.

myhc
06-02-2005, 07:43 AM
I picked the Heat. Shaq and Wade will get theirs but if we limit the rest of the team, we can beat them. Detroit has the Wallace boys to neutralize Tim.

ObiwanGinobili
06-02-2005, 07:43 AM
I had to vote pistons cause it would be like the good and dark sides of the force coming together for an epic battle. Hopefully a'la Return of the Jedi and not Empire Strikes Back.

(pistons= dark jedi, spurs = good jedi)

CaptainLate
06-02-2005, 07:45 AM
and why?

I want to beat Shaq Daddy again for Ring #3 (and prevent him from getting Ring #4). But I also wouldn't mind sweeping the imposter "champs" from last year and give the coach who ticked off DRob a nice send off to his new job in Cleveland. hehehe

Regardless, we get to rest for the winner of the "toe-to-toe" knock down drag out fight we all hope goes down to Game 7. And this year we need the break.

Dre_7
06-02-2005, 07:46 AM
I have said from the start of the season that it will be SA v DET in the finals. I still think DET will win the series against MIA, but I would rather face the heat. I think the Spurs have a better chance of beating the Heat then the Pistons. But either way, I think Spurs win it all!

If SA plays MIA it will be Spurs in 5 or 6
If SA plays DET it will be Spurs in 6 or 7

Go Spurs!!!

CaptainLate
06-02-2005, 07:51 AM
I want to see the heat, just because I think it'd be funner to watch, and a spurs vs. pistons series, would have terrible tv ratings, no matter how good a series it would turn out to be.

Good point. I also think a vs. Miami series gives Rasho more PT. He does a "decent" job of making Shaq work. I don't know Nazr's past vs. Shaq but I'd like Rasho to get a ring while playing (vice a Willis-Ferry-Smith type bench warming champion) before we trade him in the off-season.

ObiwanGinobili
06-02-2005, 08:02 AM
vice a Willis-Ferry-Smith type bench warming champion)

viz a vi? or however you spellit .. or vice like miami vice city ?

Jimcs50
06-02-2005, 08:03 AM
It does not matter. I think for publicity's sake, the Heat would be better. More people will tune in and see just how great the Spurs really are in the Heat-Spurs Finals. Miami-SA would be a great entertaining series, like this last one and more people will watch it for the entertainment value.

Detroit will make the Spurs look ugly and will make the casual new fan to vomit and turn away from the game. The Spurs would win, but the score would be 85-80 or worse each game. Pop will want to play Larry Brown's ugly defense at all costs game instead of maximizing his talent that he has and play some open court up tempo bball every now and then.

So please for all that is sacred, let us not send basketball back 2 yrs to another Nets-Spurs total uglyfest where everyone I knew, could not stand to watch 5 mins of it without being turned off.

sanman53
06-02-2005, 08:05 AM
I think the media would like to see Miami vs Spurs. Troit and Spurs would not draw a lot of ratings. The final score of every game would be like 60-67. I would like to see that. After watching Suns play, not sure if I like that whole "run and gun" playing. All they like to do is dunk. I like to see some set plays and ESPECIALLY defense. I think Troit and Spurs would be an AMAZING finals, Spurs would win in 5. But Media would like Heat to be there, so we will see!

GO SPURS GO!!! (From WV)

Vashner
06-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Shaq... payback... Heat is what I want...

Pistons is what we are gonna get (prediction vs. desire).

beirmeistr
06-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Detroit. I agree that Miami is more exciting but I get tired of Shaquille getting special treatment from the refs.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-02-2005, 08:19 AM
The Heat. The Spurs have the bodies and the defensive know-how to at least slow Shaq down, and then the Spurs can let Wade do a Steve Nash impression. Turn him into a scorer and don't let him get Eddie Jones and Dooling and all the others I can't think of into the mix. I wouldn't mind seeing a Pistons series either as I actually enjoy watching those 72-68 victories in the playoffs, but frankly I think the Pistons don't have their heads screwed on straight for whatever reason.

CosmicCowboy
06-02-2005, 08:33 AM
I want to see us matchup with the Heat simply because I think we have the better advantage there despite Shaq...Big Ben and Sheed tend to neutralize Duncan and can make it difficult for Tony and Manu to penetrate...I know the Spurs are looking forward to getting back to playing "Spurs basketball" after this Phoenix series but they have proven they can push the ball and thats exactly what they need to do against Miami...the way to beat Shaq and Mourning is to make them run the floor...when Shaq gets tired he gets sloppy on defense and tends to make lazy arm fouls instead of working to get position...and you have to get Shaq in the position of making obvious fouls that the refs can't not call...

nkdlunch
06-02-2005, 09:04 AM
I wanna dethrone the champs! :devil

waly.mg
06-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Miami

Bruce Bowen can stop Dwane Wade, if BB can stop him the series is over, if not we have another chances yet

GopherSA
06-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Bring on Miami!

I want to see the Spurs take down Shaq (again), shut Wade up and win without having to play in New Falluja, Michigan (aka Detroit).

easjer
06-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Hmmm. As much as I yearn for the defensive matchup of a Spurs/Pistons grind it out series, and as much as I want to prove beyond all doubt we are the champs by taking it straight back from them, I'd rather see Miami.

I want Miami because they are containable - they are more traditional and we know how to stop them. I think it's better matchups for us, and it's not like Haslem will be stopping Timmy D like Sheed.

On the other hand . . . my bridesmaid in my upcoming wedding is a huge D Wade fan (she's a marquette alum), and is seriously rooting for the Heat right now (can't blame her too much, she lives in Wisconsin, it's not like she has many options). I don't know if we'll stay friends if we play the Heat . . . lol.

FustinJelux
06-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Detroit scares me. They match up with perfectly and have depth. We will do the Heat like we did the 03 Lakers.

The Pistons can throw the Wallace brothers at Tim, and Rasheed guards him great as people have said.

Plus Chauncey Billups is exactly the kind of big, strong point guard that gives Tony Parker trouble (like Marbury).

Then they can put Tayshaun Prince, an outstanding defender, on Manu.

I'm scared of Detroit. They have too many weapons on offense and on defense.

I want to beat Shaq again.

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 09:25 AM
The more interesting series is Miami vs. San Antonio. Rasheed might be able to match up well against Duncan but our favorable matchups like Bowen vs. Hamilton, Duncan vs Rasheed Wallace defensively, and Billups vs. Parker. Detroit will have major problems setting up their offense against a great defense in San Antonio. Miami has some mismatches that is close to impossible to shut down. Miami is tougher because they shoot the highest percentage in the league at a slower pace.
Spurs in 6 vs. Detroit
Spurs in 7 vs. Miami

MadDog73
06-02-2005, 09:27 AM
I think the Suns have set us up well for the Heat. Amare + Nash > Wade + Jones.

That said, Heat have a deeper bench, and can be more physical on defense.

But the Pistons scare me even more.

I kinda hope the Heat win, but it would be sweet to face the defending Champions.

duncan_21
06-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Heat, because we match up better with them. I think we can stop 2 players easier then 5. Wade has been getting alot of hype because det had prince covering him the first 3 games. Since wade is much quicker then prince, wade schooled him in game 2 and 3.

In game 4 they put rip hamilton/hunter on him and contained him. I think the spurs can do the same with bowen/manu/barry. Plus shaq isn't 100%.

I wouldn't want det because they are so good defensively and can keep manu/parker from going into the lane. The think that scares me the most about det is that wallace can guard td better then anyone else in the nba.

TwoHandJam
06-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Heat, because we match up better with them. I think we can stop 2 players easier then 5. Wade has been getting alot of hype because det had prince covering him the first 3 games. Since wade is much quicker then prince, wade schooled him in game 2 and 3.

In game 4 they put rip hamilton/hunter on him and contained him. I think the spurs can do the same with bowen/manu/barry. Plus shaq isn't 100%.

I wouldn't want det because they are so good defensively and can keep manu/parker from going into the lane. The think that scares me the most about det is that wallace can guard td better then anyone else in the nba.Well said. I concur.

fonzy16
06-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Heat - i want spurs to shut Shaq's mouth!

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-02-2005, 10:53 AM
I think the Spurs match up better with Miami. Detroit would be tougher, but I think the Spurs can take either team.

shelshor
06-02-2005, 11:19 AM
heat
too good an opportunity to beat shackle
and i would never pass up a chance to stick it to pat riley
and make the media eat crow after beating the sickening hype they're gonna slather on shackle and wade
spurs in 5, tho i would rather it go 6 so the clincher would be at sbc

2centsworth
06-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Since the spurs have had so much success against shaq why not the heat?

FearDaFro
06-02-2005, 11:48 AM
I think we will get the respect we deserve and it will show that last year was a fluke..and that..fisher's shot made a difference in champions.

You didn't lose respect when fisher's shot went in, you lost it when you showed up for game 6 and folded like lawn chairs.

And any spurs fan that calls someone ELSE's championship a fluke is a complete idiot.

Personally, you should root for Miami if you want the easy way out.

3 Ring Timmy
06-02-2005, 12:01 PM
The team with hardly any finals experience,is Miami.It would be nice to beat another team that had a great turn around from last season,like the Suns.But,turn arounds from a team that sucked the year before means lack of finals experience.Plus anytime we have the chance to take down a Shaq team is sweet.><>

kskonn
06-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Detroit just because they are the defending champ.

nkdlunch
06-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Detroit just because they are the defending champ.

Exactly, let's not be pussies and pick the Heat. Plus in reality we will face Detroit, so let's get used to it.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-02-2005, 12:07 PM
I want to see us matchup with the Heat simply because I think we have the better advantage there despite Shaq...Big Ben and Sheed tend to neutralize Duncan and can make it difficult for Tony and Manu to penetrate...I know the Spurs are looking forward to getting back to playing "Spurs basketball" after this Phoenix series but they have proven they can push the ball and thats exactly what they need to do against Miami...the way to beat Shaq and Mourning is to make them run the floor...when Shaq gets tired he gets sloppy on defense and tends to make lazy arm fouls instead of working to get position...and you have to get Shaq in the position of making obvious fouls that the refs can't not call...

Excellent post. I voted Pistons, but you changed my mind.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-02-2005, 12:09 PM
You didn't lose respect when fisher's shot went in, you lost it when you showed up for game 6 and folded like lawn chairs.

And any spurs fan that calls someone ELSE's championship a fluke is a complete idiot.

Personally, you should root for Miami if you want the easy way out.

Dang, I had no idea that Pistons fans might have the dreaded asterisk syndrome.

kskonn
06-02-2005, 12:26 PM
I will be honest i agree, A championship is a championship, wether or not we got screwed on the fisher shot or not it counted. We had a choice, win game 6 and take it home for game 7 or do what we did and lose in game six. Detroit had nothing to do with that. Except the fact that they swept the lakers we lost to.

I really think any team that wins a ring deserves thier props, I will never say that Detroit winning was a fluke.

Bring on Detroit, the defending champ, lets play them it is the only way.

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Miami is very similar to LAL. Detroit is supposed to matchup well with Miami. Miami scares me because of how great Wade has been in the playoffs. I could see us slowing down Detroit because of our team defense. It is much harder for us to shutdown down superstars. See Lakers teams. I want to play Detroit meaning Shaq loses.

2centsworth
06-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Detroit a fluke, give me a break. They earned their stripes, but still rather face them than snaq.

3 Ring Timmy
06-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Exactly, let's not be pussies and pick the Heat. Plus in reality we will face Detroit, so let's get used to it.

Both these teams are very good,so picking one or the other doesnt mean that we would be weak.Match ups do matter,if the Patriots were`nt that good,then the Colts might have won the Superbowl.If SV didnt have to play SLC for the state championship the last 2 times,they very well would have 2 state titles.ALL i care about is winning the world championship period.I will love to see the weaker match-up period,if thier is one.

GoSpurs21
06-02-2005, 01:28 PM
the Heat because the ratings will be better and there's nothing like beating Snaq

MiNuS
06-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Pistons

bring on the best from the EAST!
As we post they are tied up 2-2 in their series.Both teams are very similar.

Lets beat the Champs! It's only fair.

Besides do we want to see Shaq again in the Finals?This would be his 5th appearance in his carreer.I wouldn't mind either.He has played in the finals against Jordan and now would play against Duncan.Ginobili has that in his mind.

FearDaFro
06-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Pistons

bring on the best from the EAST!
As we post they are tied up 2-2 in their series.Both teams are very similar.

Lets beat the Champs! It's only fair.

Besides do we want to see Shaq again in the Finals?This would be his 5th appearance in his carreer.I wouldn't mind either.He has played in the finals against Jordan and now would play against Duncan.Ginobili has that in his mind.

...actually, he's already been to the finals 5 times (95, 00, 01, 02, 04)

And Shaq never played against Jordan in the finals. I don't know where you get your info from.

BillsCarnage
06-02-2005, 02:28 PM
The Spurs will have a better chance against the Pistons. The Pistons/Spurs D is pretty close with the Pistons probably having a slight edge. But if the Spurs can run like they did agains the Suns they shoud win the series.

Miami on the other hand is like the Suns except with defense and a force in the middle. They can score at will and shut down the paint. I'd think the Heat would win that series in 7.

samikeyp
06-02-2005, 02:32 PM
IMO, Miami. Shaq isn't healthy and the Spurs have Rasho, Massenburg and Nazr to throw at him. You can put Manu or Bowen on Wade. After that, you have to have one of Miami's role players and bench step up and the Spurs are better at both. Detroit has more weapons and better defense.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-02-2005, 02:34 PM
I am impressed by my fellow spurs fans

I totally want to see the Heat. To be the best, you have to beat the best, and Shaq is the fucking best.

I want HEAT!!!!

FearDaFro
06-02-2005, 02:37 PM
I am impressed by my fellow spurs fans

I totally want to see the Heat. To be the best, you have to beat the best, and Shaq is the fucking best.

I want HEAT!!!!

Funny, didn't know this was a 1-on1 contest....

Cant_Be_Faded
06-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Funny, didn't know this was a 1-on1 contest....

Funny, I've never heard of Detroit.

FearDaFro
06-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Funny, I've never heard of Detroit.

Maybe you should have watched the finals last year.

trevcourt
06-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Pistons.

Beating the defending champs would be sweeter than beating the Heat. (Though seeing Shaq eat it would be nice.)

50 cent
06-02-2005, 03:01 PM
We match up much better with the Heat.

PG: Billups is much bigger than Tony and could post up on him all day long as well as get physical with him on D.

G: Manu and Prince would be a good matchup - I just don't like Prince's wingspan and ability to D up on Manu

G: Bowen would do a great job on RIP, but he wouldn't shut him down.

F: Rasheed likes to play from the top of the key and at the 3 point line which would draw Duncan out of the paint and I don't like that idea.

C: Ben is not that great on offense but he is a better rebounder than Nazr.

The Spurs bench is superior to both teams, but I think the Heat would be a much easier draw because Bowen and Manu could wear on Wade and we have plenty of big bodies to foul Shaq.

Having said that, I think the Pistons is who we will play.

TNT21
06-02-2005, 04:59 PM
I voted for Detroit because to be the man, you have to beat the man! Whooooooo!

Xolotl
06-02-2005, 05:06 PM
:lol good choice of words Ric

T Park
06-02-2005, 08:37 PM
IMO, its silly to ask this, but what the hell nothing else to do??

Its a toss up IMO either way.

Maybe Miami, cause they are not as tough defensively as Detroit.

Kori Ellis
06-02-2005, 08:39 PM
I merged your thread into this one, TPark.