PDA

View Full Version : Spurs one of 5 teams using camera system for advanced metrics

Rummpd
03-06-2011, 07:33 AM
http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/03/04/boundless-potential-with-nbas-advanced-metrics/

Interesting read on SI/CNN that highlights Spurs as a team ahead of the curve in looking at advanced statst (did not clip entire article but here are some interesting points):

Think about how cool (and overwhelming) it would be to able to answer almost any question you could imagine about the NBA. If you could find out, for instance, Kevin Durant’s shooting percentage from the left baseline on shots he takes after dribbling the ball with his left hand at least twice.

We’re getting there, as was made clear during a presentation by Sandy Weil today at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. Weil charted a whole bunch of stuff based on data generated from high-tech cameras, with three-dimensional capabilities, a company called STATS, LLC has installed at a handful of NBA arenas this season. The cameras capture an image 25 times per second and record every event on the court and the location of all the key elements involved — the 10 players, the ball, the referees, etc.

The potential is enormous. A few key bullet points before I get into the meat of the findings:

• Weil’s data was based on cameras installed at three arenas, but Brian Kopp, a vice-president at STATS, told me the cameras are currently in place at five arenas — San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City and Golden State.

San Antonio players, for instance, shoot 60 percent after receiving passes from Tim Duncan. That’s a very high number, Kopp said, and it’s not entirely unexpected, given how much attention Duncan still draws in the post and on pick-and-rolls. But it’s a higher number than the comparable figure for most point guards....

The bulk of Weil’s work focused on how field-goal percentage changes when shooters are guarded closely. Not surprisingly, field-goal percentage drops the closer the primary defender gets to the shooter, and it drops even more the closer a second defender gets to the shooter. Overall, tight defense drops shooting percentage by about 12 percentage points. That’s huge. A tightly contested layup produces about the same amount of points per shot attempt as a wide-open 19-footer, Weil said.

• The other finding that has major implications for your favorite team: Catch-and-shoot attempts are much more efficient than other types of shots when you control for distance and the presence of a defender. A player’s shooting percentage jumps significantly when the last thing he does before the a shot is the act of catching a pass — and not the act of dribbling.

But if you catch a pass and hold the ball for about 2.25 seconds, whatever advantage you gained from catching the pass disappears. This makes sense, since holding the ball gives your defender a chance to catch up to you and prepare to defend your next move.

San Antonio (and Mavs/Thunder/GS/Rockets) are ahead of the curve in using advanced metrics and cameras and other teams including the Celtics are working to catch up.

greyforest
03-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Best FO. Houston doesn't surprise me; they've always been about metrics, as I learned from Battier. Dallas either, since Cuban just copies the Spurs and throws money at anything that he can.

Timmy the PG is one of the best passing bigmen in the league. His court awareness is off the chart.

Em-City
03-06-2011, 07:45 AM
This reminds me.... I read somewhere that Manu likes to go left. If other teams knew this, all they'd have to do is stop him from going left and one of our best offensive players would instantly be shut down!!!

eric365
03-06-2011, 08:02 AM
This reminds me.... I read somewhere that Manu likes to go left. If other teams knew this, all they'd have to do is stop him from going left and one of our best offensive players would instantly be shut down!!!

Every teams know that Manu want to go left.
Even the announcers say it.

That's why Manu is so good. Everyone knows it but he still succeed to go left !

buttsR4rebounding
03-06-2011, 08:04 AM
I can see Pop's defensive rules get even more complicated...force him to his left and the double team comes from a 38 degree angle after 1.4 dribbles by his left hand or 1.8 dribbles by his right...:reading

DocDoc
03-06-2011, 08:22 AM
"Take this nugget: Kopp took me aside after the presentation and showed me data on the field-goal percentage of players who shoot after receiving passes from specific teammates. San Antonio players, for instance, shoot 60 percent after receiving passes from Tim Duncan. That’s a very high number, Kopp said, and it’s not entirely unexpected, given how much attention Duncan still draws in the post and on pick-and-rolls. But it’s a higher number than the comparable figure for most point guards."

polandprzem
03-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Now then Po said what the hell we gonna change our offensive repertoire.
Forcing turnovers and quick shooting without any hesitation. The prime exampe are those treys where Hill running to his spot getting the ball and firing immediately

OrEmuN
03-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Every teams know that Manu want to go left.
Even the announcers say it.

That's why Manu is so good. Everyone knows it but he still succeed to go left !

Not only that. I rem in the Battier article, it was also mentioned that no matter left or right, Manu is equally efficient. Hence, that's why Manu is so hard to guard.

TIMMYD!
03-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Not only that. I rem in the Battier article, it was also mentioned that no matter left or right, Manu is equally efficient. Hence, that's why Manu is so hard to guard.

Was about to post the same thing. Analysts say he always goes left but the stats don't.

DirkISaCocLuvinPuSSy
03-06-2011, 12:44 PM
CIA pop! Spurs r a Mason sponsored team beware! lol j/k. I always wonder why pro teams don't have a super team of geeks braking down the statistics. Good to see that the Spurs r truly a organization about winning.

eric365
03-07-2011, 04:16 AM
Was about to post the same thing. Analysts say he always goes left but the stats don't.

Interresting. Maybe the efficiency stat is the same because the other team will give him the right more easily and then he has an easier shot to make.

He definitely seems better left when watching the game

Anyway it's not a secret that camera system could find and ruin Manu's game :lol

PM5K
03-07-2011, 05:05 AM
Interesting that three teams in Texas are using it, I thought for sure they had an office here or something but I didn't see one on their website.

temujin
03-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Truely amazing stuff.

The shot percentage drops as the defender is closer to the shooter.

If you shoot in rythm on a catch and shoot, the percentage is higher than when shooting after not having the foggiest idea of what to do with the ball.
Or after a zillions dribbles.

Hard to predict THAT!

E-RockWill
03-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Truely amazing stuff.

The shot percentage drops as the defender is closer to the shooter.

If you shoot in rythm on a catch and shoot, the percentage is higher than when shooting after not having the foggiest idea of what to do with the ball.
Or after a zillions dribbles.

Hard to predict THAT!

Fixed it for ya!
Too funny....

John Basedow
03-07-2011, 11:18 AM
What a classy system

wildbill2u
03-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Astounding news. Players normally go to their dominant hand. Since most players are righties, defenders are used to playing to the dominant right side. This gives them 'muscle memory' on defending right-handers.

It may be the reason that most players have a hard time defending against lefties. They are simply geared by 'muscle memory' to defend to the offensive players right side and wind up a fraction of a second too late in defending left-handers.

Think about the edge in other sports for lefties because opponents are so used to playing against righties. In competitive tennis, right-hand players are used to playing to their opponents left--but they wind up sending shots into the strong hand instead.
Your mind wants to change, but the muscles memory often takes over.