PDA

View Full Version : Potential solution to Tim's struggles

TDfan2007
03-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Heading into the money stretch of the season the Spurs have a significant dilemma. Do they keep playing at the Suns-esque pace they've been playing, or do they try and slow the offense down a bit and get Tim some touches in order to gear up for the playoff run?

I'm going to have to go with getting Tim more touches. Tim is a rhythm player and needs to put up more than 10-12 shots a night in order to be effective. Tim's lack of rhythm also has a lot to do with his minutes. He plays for about 8-9 minutes in the 1st quarter, then doesn't see the court again until about the 5 or 6-minute mark of the 2nd quarter. That's a huge chunk of time in between periods of activity. Since Tim is pretty much a screen setter in the last minute of the 2nd half, he only has about 4 minutes in the 2nd quarter to get back into the flow of things.

I think Tim needs to start playing more. He's been given plenty of rest this season and the Spurs need to cash in sooner rather than later. He is not 2007 Tim, and can't just flip the switch anymore come playoff time. I know a lot of fans think he can, mainly because we've all been spoiled, but it won't happen. To finish the season Tim needs to be playing 32 mpg and attempting 14-15 shots a game, with more touches coming in the post so he can get comfortable down there.

The Spurs desperately need a reliable (not dominant, just reliable) Tim Duncan in the post in order to be successful in the playoffs and compete for a title. Slowly increasing his load for this last part of the season will go a long way in making sure he's primed for the playoffs.

Spurs7794
03-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Completely agree. Throughout Tim's career, he gets into slumps but is able to shoot his way out of them. This year, he doesn't get the touches to do it. I think atleast when its just him and one or none of the other big 3, we should run the offense through him. WHY THE HELL SHOULD WE RUN OUR OFFENSE FOR GEORGE HILL AND GARY NEAL (no matter how well they play)?

Capt Bringdown
03-06-2011, 05:57 PM
This is just not a good matchup for him at this point in his career. And slowing down the game plays right into the Lakers hands.

m33p0
03-06-2011, 06:02 PM
eh? you're worried about one regular season loss to a contender?

TDfan2007
03-06-2011, 07:07 PM
eh? you're worried about one regular season loss to a contender?

No, just 3 subpar games from our star big man in a potential WCF matchup. Tim's problems against LA are the same as his problems against other top teams with even halfway serviceable bigs. This is a legit concern. The Spurs' current pace won't give us a championship. Halfcourt execution kills in the playoffs, not jacking up 3's and step-backs.

xellos88330
03-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Most of Tim's post moves this season have been with moves across the middle. He needs to switch it up and start making moves baseline where he can use the glass to soften his shot. Him moving across the middle isn't really a good idea when the help defense is a long center.

20beastie45
03-06-2011, 07:25 PM
All for half court execution....That style dominates 4th quarter's in playoff games. What happened to Timmy's runners and sealing his defender deep before he gets the ball?? I want to see Tim get more touches earlier in games. He's a smart player. He can see how there defending him and get a feel for how his individual defender is playing him. Then adjust accordingly..

Spurs serious weakness is Defensive Rebounding. 10 Offensive Rebounds for the Lakers in the 1st Q.

dbreiden83080
03-06-2011, 07:30 PM
He can play more in the 1st round with a 1/8 series. By round 2 hopefully he is feeling in rythm. Rest as much as possible until then..

duncan228
03-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Duncan post-game.

(On if he’s eager to get back on the court after a loss like this) “Yeah, I definitely want to get back out there. Even the time we were down so much, I wanted to get back out there just to try get a rhythm and to see the ball go in the hole, but we’ll have practice tomorrow and we’ll use that and then we’ll get back to the game on Wednesday.”

GrandeDavid
03-06-2011, 07:36 PM
He can play more in the 1st round with a 1/8 series. By round 2 hopefully he is feeling in rythm. Rest as much as possible until then..

I agree. He's been doing this so long, he'll have a rhythm by the second round (yes, I'm assuming the Spurs win their first round series). Plus Tim knows the bigs he'll be facing very well. I think that being fresh is the key. He has one more monster playoff run in the tank.

G-Dawgg
03-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Duncan's problem is he now settles for too many jumpers, turn-around jumpers, etc... he's gotta get on the post and back in for closer shots at the rim, or try to draw fouls.

m33p0
03-06-2011, 08:02 PM
No, just 3 subpar games from our star big man in a potential WCF matchup. Tim's problems against LA are the same as his problems against other top teams with even halfway serviceable bigs. This is a legit concern. The Spurs' current pace won't give us a championship. Halfcourt execution kills in the playoffs, not jacking up 3's and step-backs.
exactly. until then, i'm content. if Tim still has it in him to dominate a series, i want to keep it a secret until it's time to show them our hand.

Srupsog
03-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Duncan's problem is he now settles for too many jumpers, turn-around jumpers, etc... he's gotta get on the post and back in for closer shots at the rim, or try to draw fouls.

Absolutely right. It's Pop that wants him to take more jumpshots.

DieHardSpursFan1537
03-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Yes, he needs more minutes, and he needs to shoot more. They'll need him desperately in the playoffs.

mexicanjunior
03-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Spurs serious weakness is Defensive Rebounding. 10 Offensive Rebounds for the Lakers in the 1st Q.

+10000

If they don't find a way to address this in the playoffs, they will be just be fodder for the Lakers or Mavs....

Spurs7794
03-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Tim has to be assertive. Even if its not in the post, he passes up jumpshots and hesitates when he's open SO MUCH. That kills his rhythm. I hate when he passes up easy shots to get Dejaun Blair going. FUCK THAT. Tim needs to realize that his offense is MUCH more important than the other role players.

Budkin
03-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Man I remember when Timmy used to dominate the Lakers, even when they had Shaq. Sad to watch him struggle now.

Spurs7794
03-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Man I remember when Timmy used to dominate the Lakers, even when they had Shaq. Sad to watch him struggle now.

Last yaer against Bynum, the first game he has 25 and around 14. (no gasol). Last game of the season series, he had like 24 and 11 against Gasol. (no Bynum). Now it is a big deal when both are in versus just one but I don't think Tim has dropped off so bad that he can't even reach his season average in THREE GAMES COMBINED. He needs to be assertive and we need to start going to him in the post. I seriously cringe when i hear other commentators saying "oh they are saving Tim for the playoffs! They can still go down to him in crunch time!" That is bullshit...TIm is not a machine, he needs to get his damn rhythm and get more touches. He can't just turn on the switch.

G-Dawgg
03-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Sad to say but Tim in the post, used to be money in the bank.. Now I tend to cringe everytime they throw him the ball in the post..wtf happened? Has he fallen off THAT badly?