PDA

View Full Version : Home Brewing

Sense
03-07-2011, 01:45 AM
So I'm obviously a huge fan of beer... and I've been getting more and more interested in brewing some... I know a few of you guys have to have done this or are doing this right now...

What do you guys recommend to start off?

I keep hearing Coopers is the way to start.. and I really want to buy it, but I hate that it only comes with Lager... and I'm not a big fan of regular lager...

I also want to experiment off the bat.. to get something different and I'm not quite sure how I could do that..

Any suggestions?

dimsah
03-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Try a kit like Mr. Beer. It comes with a lager recipe but you can buy ingredients and recipes for many different kinds from their website.

Mine turned out pretty good after about 5-6 months of fermenting.

dimsah
03-07-2011, 08:24 AM
.double post.

Drachen
03-07-2011, 09:15 AM
So I'm obviously a huge fan of beer... and I've been getting more and more interested in brewing some... I know a few of you guys have to have done this or are doing this right now...

What do you guys recommend to start off?

I keep hearing Coopers is the way to start.. and I really want to buy it, but I hate that it only comes with Lager... and I'm not a big fan of regular lager...

I also want to experiment off the bat.. to get something different and I'm not quite sure how I could do that..

Any suggestions?

I have wanted to do this too and I pass a brew store on bandera near my house twice a day.. Sucks. I am just hoping that some random father's day that I will get one.

Also, I bet if you ask scott he could help you out with this.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-07-2011, 09:59 AM
I've wanted to do this but I just dont have the patience. I'd give it a week, tops, then I'd want it. Yes, call me Veruca. I want it nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

balli
03-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Lager is not a good starting point. Unless you have an entire refrigerator to devote to it.

I have a cheap kit. Used it twice in ten years, but I had fun both times. Surprised myself with the quality of the beer.

leemajors
03-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Check out some of the starter kits on www.austinhomebrew.com, and avoid Mr Beer like the plague. Balli is right, to do a lager you will need a fridge with temp control. Ales are much easier since there is no lagering involved. Sanitize, sanitize, and sanitize again is the rule.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Sanitize, sanitize, and sanitize again is the rule.

And that's the other thing. Any little thing will just ruin the whole batch. A buddy of mine made a batch and it all got ruined cuz something got in it.

Drachen
03-07-2011, 11:23 AM
support your local microbrewers you jerks

I do, but I also would like to support the most local and most micro-brew.:lol

mrsmaalox
03-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Interesting hobby. My husband started out with a Mr. Beer I gave him for Christmas about 10 yrs ago, then a neighbor gave him one he'd never used, I found another at a garage sale etc. He did fine with that for a while, until he met a real homebrewer here in our neighborhood who was more advanced and taught him a lot.

Then after Katrina he helped the guy rescue an entire brewpubs equipment and set up quite an operation in his garage. But that guy was military so when he relocated so did the brewery :( So on his own my hubby started to collect and set up his own brewery. He has a dedicated freezer and refrigerator, he has burners and cookers and scales and bottles and whatnot, and brews 5 gallons at a time.

Right now he's building a big 10 gallon, computer controlled system; a home made "Brewmaster" system that is almost ready. He's a member of 2 homebrew clubs and they have "meetings" to sample/critique each others brew. That's where he's learned the most, but in the beginning it was just reading every homebrewing book he could find. Have you searched Youtube? I was amazed to see how much advice with demonstrations are available for every skill level. Have fun :toast

edit: The system I called "Brewmaster" is actually a "BrewMagic" :)

TDMVPDPOY
03-07-2011, 11:31 AM
i heard reuse the water back into the loop mechanism is what alot of breweries do....

im in vietnam now, just had russian beer, lets say its fkn sweet as.....they should just stick to vodka instead of brewing beer....

The Reckoning
03-07-2011, 11:35 AM
bunch of fuckin hopsters on this board

Sense
03-07-2011, 12:03 PM

I do.... but I think I've been drinking too much good beer that I just need something different...

Sense
03-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Lager is not a good starting point. Unless you have an entire refrigerator to devote to it.

I have a cheap kit. Used it twice in ten years, but I had fun both times. Surprised myself with the quality of the beer.

Yeah I've heard... but I believe Coopers Kit comes with a Lager.. I'm not entirely sure if you need to refrigerate Coopers Lager.. I didn't see anything on a certain youtube video with it.. but I still don't like Lagers too much..

Sense
03-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Try a kit like Mr. Beer. It comes with a lager recipe but you can buy ingredients and recipes for many different kinds from their website.

Mine turned out pretty good after about 5-6 months of fermenting.

5-6 months of fermenting?

Wow... wtf

dimsah
03-07-2011, 02:50 PM

Wow... wtf

Yeah, 3 months in the keg and another 2-3 in bottle before refigeration.

It really turned out pretty well for my first time.

Sense
03-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah, 3 months in the keg and another 2-3 in bottle before refigeration.

It really turned out pretty well for my first time.

Wow... I know it's possible to do that, but it's usually just weeks..

mouse
03-07-2011, 09:04 PM

Funny how people are free to make beer at home and share it with their neighbors but If I buy a cow and give my neighbor milk I could go to jail breaking an FDA regulation?

mouse
03-07-2011, 09:45 PM
we don't have a cow.

we have a bull

:lmao

But seriously how fucked up are the laws?

You ever notice there aren't any private groceries stores that sell fruits or vegetables?

If you were to grow some tomatoes at home and sold them, the ATF will kick down your door and seize your home.
watch a film called end of liberty.

G5zPhhNUakc

gOups0dfdwM

baseline bum
03-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Wow... I know it's possible to do that, but it's usually just weeks..

Don't you want it bottled for a couple of months for the carbonation?

leemajors
03-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Don't you want it bottled for a couple of months for the carbonation?

Carbonation is usually two-three weeks. Lager yeast ferments better at lower temps, but you have to let it sit for a few months.

Sense
03-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Carbonation is usually two-three weeks. Lager yeast ferments better at lower temps, but you have to let it sit for a few months.

This is why I'm surprised, if it was his first batch, he must've done a good brew for it to have needed that much time..

mouse
03-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Lager yeast ferments better at lower temps, but you have to let it sit for a few months.

So if old fermented beer is what people really want why have the "born on" date?

sonnytris
03-07-2011, 11:46 PM
I worked in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and it was illigal to drink or possess any thing with alcohol....What a trip BUT the company had a book that was called the Blue Flame and it had all the info needed to make what ever your little heart diesired or could stand to drink. In the old days you could check out a STILL from the company wharehouse and turn it back in whenever you left the country . I just remenber that the Brits always make the best booze . Beer was kinda like everone made it, bragged about it and then shared it and normally no one could wiat till that the THE EXACT DATE to drink it ?
Is this Country Great or What

Wild Cobra
03-08-2011, 02:21 AM

Wow... wtf
Ice lager maybe?

Wild Cobra
03-08-2011, 02:23 AM
I've done my share of brewing. Easiest way is to use extracts, but they aren't as satisfying to make. The key issue is cleanliness as you brew. I don't brew any more because there are great micro brews that save me the time. The only think I will brew now is mead.

dimsah
03-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Honestly don't remember what kind it was now. It was a several years ago.
I tried another batch after that and didn't let it sit as long and it turned out pretty bad.

The carbonation wasn't as good as the prior batch either.

Wild Cobra
03-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Honestly don't remember what kind it was now. It was a several years ago.
I tried another batch after that and didn't let it sit as long and it turned out pretty bad.

The carbonation wasn't as good as the prior batch either.
It should only wake a few weeks at most to brew a beer. If it tasted bad, it was probably contaminated. Everything needs to be started as sterilized, and caution not to expose it to anything as it cools, and to always keep it sealed. Always use an airlock.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/product_images/q/dbairlock__48033_zoom.jpg (http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Double-Bubble-Airlock.html)

Sense
03-08-2011, 10:38 PM
bump for a Scott post :P