PDA

View Full Version : Van Gundy rips Stern

SinBAD
03-08-2011, 02:39 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-magic-vangundydefendshoward

Props to van gundy to be the forst coach who says something about this dictatorship the NBA has been in for the past 20+ year.All coaches should rebel.NBA could be much better if he listened.A lot of rules need to be changed especially this tech rule which is stupid.

I dont understand why stern gets to stay for this long but the president of Fifa or Uefa has to go through elections.Where r the elections?This is not the middle east!

rayjayjohnson
03-08-2011, 02:43 AM
FIFA and UEFA have elections in name only, FIFA is a million times worse than the NBA

Pelicans78
03-08-2011, 02:46 AM
Stern's time has come. The NBA definitely needs a change. Just not a good product overall. No excuse for so many teams changing cities under his watch.

rayjayjohnson
03-08-2011, 02:50 AM
Not a good product? This is the best season in years. And as an international fan, no sport has embraced the Internet like the NBA

Pelicans78
03-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Not a good product? This is the best season in years. And as an international fan, no sport has embraced the Internet like the NBA

The sport is doing better internationally than in the states.

Pelicans78
03-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Also, League Pass Broadband sucks.

rayjayjohnson
03-08-2011, 02:57 AM
International league pass is great

Pelicans78
03-08-2011, 03:05 AM
Dude, you can't blame Katrina on Stern. You tried that with Bush already... get over it.

Ever have anything new in your arsenal?

Obstructed_View
03-08-2011, 03:10 AM
The Magic should petition the league to have any after-the-whistle shots by Dwight Howard not count as baskets if they go in. That would fix the problem, and then nobody would feel the need to foul him so hard. I suppose that would be far easier than having Dwight start hitting his free throws so he's not such a foul target.

Showing restraint is admirable and all, but Dwight's getting technicals for arguing and throwing his elbows around. It's sort of like a murderer asking for leniency because he didn't rape his victim first.

rapliketp
03-08-2011, 03:16 AM

LPB International uses different software. Different company handles it I think. Far superior to the domestic product. NBA should just give the contract to the people running the international site.

BRHornet45
03-08-2011, 03:19 AM
sons REAL TALK ... Stern needs and deserves a vicious ass whipping and I'm sure that behind closed doors most NBA coaches would agree.

lefty
03-08-2011, 08:54 AM
:lmao

lefty
03-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Fuck VG

In 2008, his brother said that some games were rigged and the refs told him this and that...

Then during the NBA Finals broadcast, he stated he never said those things :lmao

I wouldnt be surprised if he backs down from his comments once again, like Jeff did

silverblk mystix
03-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Fuck VG

In 2008, his brother said that some games were rigged and the refs told him this and that...

Then during the NBA Finals broadcast, he stated he never said those things :lmao

I wouldnt be surprised if he backs down from his comments once again, like Jeff did

This alone should tell you that something is rotten in Denmark

Stern should be ousted during this summer/CBA issue...

Start new and while we're at it...get rid of any ref that has been in the league over 10 years...those guys need a beating just like Stern...

The Van Gundy's know this shit is wrong...but Stan saw how Jeff has been blackballed from coaching another team and will probably chill a bit...

Blake
03-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Charlie Sheen thinks Van Gundy is winning

DMX7
03-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Wow, using FIFA as a paradigm is like using Charlie Sheen as a babysitter.

JamStone
03-08-2011, 01:58 PM
If you're going to flex and call yourself Superman, don't be a bitch when you get fouled hard or late. You're Superman. Just take it like a man. Don't need to swing your elbows at little Jimmy Olsens.

SVG is defending his franchise superstar like he's supposed to. He does seem a little disingenuous but that's fine. Without Dwight, he's got nothing. He has to defend him. The shots at Stern are amusing but I don't really make much of it. I think it's just an angle to defend his guy.

Thompson
03-08-2011, 03:10 PM

It's stupid that they black out NBAtv games. They also black out Spurs FSSW games in my area, even though FSSW only shows the Mavericks where I live.

ChumpDumper
03-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Howard is being suspended because he whined so much early in the season. It's not like he didn't know he had these techs -- unless you're saying he doesn't know how to count.

tlongII
03-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I like the Tech rule! :lol

Cane
03-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Not quite as entertaining as Mark Cuban or Phil Jackson's remarks to the media but at least SVG can rant. Good move to back up your franchise player although I don't think anyone really wins when you whine to the public about the league but D12, SVG, and the Magic have been doing this for the past several years. They genuinely feel like they're being persecuted and treated unfairly. :whine

But what about small bench guys like Chris Quinn? They're the ones that truly get abused as opposed to superstar phenoms :cry

-Oy5F9FpyXI

^ How would Dwight and SVG react if Shaq does that to Dwight??? :downspin:

Jt.ONE
03-08-2011, 04:25 PM
^

that shit was hilarious when i first saw that :lol

Bill_Brasky
03-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Dwight is such a cry baby. If you wanna be the most dominant center in the league(and he is), you need to be ready to accept what comes along with that. That includes getting fouled a lot when you're around the basket, ESPECIALLY if you're a piss poor free throw shooter.

4>0rings
03-08-2011, 05:03 PM
FIFA and UEFA have elections in name only, FIFA is a million times worse than the NBA
Exactly, they are a shit ton more corrupt than anyone in the NBA management.

Jacob1983
03-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Van Gundy is 100 percent right. Stern is the dictator of the NBA. If you oppose him or his minions, be prepared to pay. I also thinks it's a joke how a lot of the talking heads in sports will not comment on Stern's dictatorship and will never say it's possible that the NBA could be rigged or manipulated a certain way.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Van Gundy is 100 percent right. Stern is the dictator of the NBA. If you oppose him or his minions, be prepared to pay. I also thinks it's a joke how a lot of the talking heads in sports will not comment on Stern's dictatorship and will never say it's possible that the NBA could be rigged or manipulated a certain way.

By that rationale, I think it's interesting that the talking heads in sports will not comment on Stern being a space lizard bent on destruction of all life on Earth and will never say it's possible that the NBA could be filled with his army of alien minions.

*gasp* We both said "minions"!!!11!!!! Coincidence???

ElNono
03-08-2011, 10:58 PM
I agree that Dwight knew he needed to tone it down, so he's not without fault...

But I agree with VG that the whole "fines for public critiques" is the worst of the worst authoritarian, intolerant bullshit out there.

Good luck getting rid of that shark though...

Jacob1983
03-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I just get tired of it. I've come to the conclusion that those talking heads could be on Stern's payroll so they might be getting paid to shut the fuck up about it. However, it's a big fuckin' joke. The NBA will be a better when Stern is not running it.

cesare borgia
03-08-2011, 11:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-magic-vangundydefendshoward

Props to van gundy to be the forst coach who says something about this dictatorship the NBA has been in for the past 20+ year.All coaches should rebel.NBA could be much better if he listened.A lot of rules need to be changed especially this tech rule which is stupid.

I dont understand why stern gets to stay for this long but the president of Fifa or Uefa has to go through elections.Where r the elections?This is not the middle east!

What did u expected? Communism is Jewish!:lol

duncan228
03-10-2011, 06:17 PM
David Stern sends not so subtle message to Stan Van Gundy (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/10/david-stern-sends-not-so-subtle-message-to-stan-van-gundy/)
Kurt Helin

Stan Van Gundy called NBA Commissioner David Stern a dictator (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/08/stan-van-gundy-defends-dwight-howard-invites-fine-from-stern/). In so many words. He said Stern does not allow a diversity of opinions or people to express their thoughts.

Stern is not amused.

Hence his comments on ESPN Radio’s Colin Cowherd show Thursday (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=theherd).

“I would just render a guess that we’re not going to be hearing from him for the rest of the season…

“Oh, I have whatever influence the (league) bylaws and constitution give me, and they’re substantial, but I have a feeling that some modicum of self restraint will cause Stan and the team for which he works to rein in his abhorrent behavior.”

Of course, that comment really makes Van Gundy’s original point better than Van Gundy could.

You know Van Gundy will have a response. He’ll try not to. He may even make it a few days. But at some point, in a moment of frustration, it will slip. Then Van Gundy will write a big check.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/10/david-stern-sends-not-so-subtle-message-to-stan-van-gundy/

Cane
03-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Interview with Stern and some comments on SVG:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd=1#/podcenter/?callsign=ESPNRADIO&########=1&id=6201374

Sportscasters talk about HCA, superstar calls, etc. JVG is almost like a media puppet for the Magic, Dwight, and SVG since he seems to always rant about the officials and Dwight. The whining from the Magic organization has gotten pretty old tbh. Sportswriters have a field day with officials and controversy in general.

Dwight feels like he's being persecuted...how about send some specific examples of those uncalled flagrant fouls instead of looking like a bunch of whiners. And when you're a Superman phenom and the best big in the NBA....hell yes you're going to get fouled hard otherwise it'll be easy And-1's all day. Especially if you suck at FT's and have a limited offensive game. Not to mention that Dwight probably injures and KO's the most players out of anyone else in the league.

Jacob1983
03-10-2011, 07:04 PM
It's rare for NBA talking heads to speak about Stern's dictatorship and/or how the league is manipulated toward superstars. I hear announcers on TNT all the time talking about how refs reward players for their effort when they get foul. They mention how that if a ref sees a player giving a lot of effort toward making a foul look good, they're gonna get two free throw attempts. That's bullshit if you ask me. Just because a player flops, he gets rewarded? And yes I know guys on the Mavs do it. Dirk does it a lot. If you get fouled, you get free throw attempts. You shouldn't be rewarded because you "sold" the foul. You should get free throw attempts because someone fuckin fouled you.

Around the Horn talked about this today and they basically gave props to Stern for being so scary and powerful. Pathetic.

duncan228
03-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Stern silences Magic’s Stan Van Gundy (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-stern-vangundy)
By Antonio Gonzalez

NBA Commissioner David Stern might have finally muzzled Magic coach Stan Van Gundy.

At least for now, anyway.

Van Gundy said Friday that he was told he can’t comment anymore in the escalating rhetoric with Stern that included personal jabs from both sides. Asked who told him to refrain from more remarks, Van Gundy responded, “I’ve been told I can’t comment.”

The back-and-forth chatter began earlier this week when Van Gundy was defending Dwight Howard after the Magic’s All-Star center picked up an automatic suspension for reaching 16 technical fouls.

“This is the system David Stern and his minions like,” Van Gundy said. “So that’s the system you have. … I certainly can’t have an opinion because David Stern, like a lot of leaders we’ve seen in this world lately, don’t really tolerate other people’s opinion or free speech or anything. So I’m not really allowed to have an opinion. So it’s up to him.”

Stern, who fined Van Gundy $35,000 in January for criticizing officials, shot back Thursday that he wouldn’t fine Van Gundy again but would speak to Magic ownership to quiet its always opinionated coach.

“It didn’t bother me personally. I see somebody whose team isn’t performing, whose star player was suspended, who seems to be fraying.” Stern said on ESPN Radio. “I would render a guess,” Stern added, “that we won’t be hearing from him for the rest of the season. When he stops and reads what he said and realizes what he did, he will say no more.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-stern-vangundy

LkrFan
03-12-2011, 01:23 AM
This alone should tell you that something is rotten in Denmark

Stern should be ousted during this summer/CBA issue...

Start new and while we're at it...get rid of any ref that has been in the league over 10 years...those guys need a beating just like Stern...

The Van Gundy's know this shit is wrong...but Stan saw how Jeff has been blackballed from coaching another team and will probably chill a bit...
This is truth.com here. Don't just oust Stern - get rid of his minions as well. The NBA should hire the same refs that work the Olympics and players should be subject to the same doping laws as Olympians. That way LBJ and his HGH taking, steroid abusing, big nosed, non-clutch ass could finally get caught for PEDs. :hat

Jacob1983
03-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Stern muzzling Van Gundy just shows how much of a power hungry dick he is.

poop
03-12-2011, 03:57 PM
it seems like there is more balanced competition in the NFL...in the NBA certain franchises have ENORMOUS inherent advantages over the rest....all the stars, free agents, big trades, favorable officiating etc...are concentrated in a few big markets while the rest of the league has to try to polish turds and find lucky diamonds in the rough just to try to compete

Basketballgirl25
03-12-2011, 04:06 PM
well I know the NBA is bad when I'm just hoping Cuban or Jackson will say something lol

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
03-12-2011, 04:14 PM
You never know. Van Gundy may really need to get on Stern's ass about something in the near future. I hope he speaks his mind and ignores the "gag order" imposed on him.

Kyle Orton
03-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Stern needs to go, the NBA has been rigged every year the last 20 years besides 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007 :cry:cry:cry.

Ashy Larry
03-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Stern needs to go, the NBA has been rigged every year the last 20 years besides 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007 :cry:cry:cry.

those were classy years :toast

greyforest
03-12-2011, 05:38 PM
“It didn’t bother me personally. I see somebody whose team isn’t performing, whose star player was suspended, who seems to be fraying.” Stern said on ESPN Radio. “I would render a guess,” Stern added, “that we won’t be hearing from him for the rest of the season. When he stops and reads what he said and realizes what he did, he will say no more.”

Stern is such a piece of shit, and has confirmed everything VG said.

It's no secret the NBA's officiating is not open to discussion.

DPG21920
03-12-2011, 05:56 PM

Just goes to show you how great those Spurs teams were.

Kyle Orton
03-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Just goes to show you how great those Spurs teams were.
:tu

HarlemHeat37
03-12-2011, 08:31 PM
:lol I always find it humorous that the majority of NBA fans genuinely believe that eliminating David Stern would solve all of the NBA's problems..

Jacob1983
03-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Who likes David Stern? I mean seriously, how many NBA fans can honestly say they like David Stern and think he's done a good job as the boss of the NBA? I bet the percentage of NBA fans that likes Stern is very small. Stern is a dictator and the NBA will be a better place when he's not running it. Stern needs to stop with trying to expand the NBA around the world and try to help teams not get contracted. Make the competition a little more balanced.

Spur_Fanatic
03-13-2011, 12:14 AM
I like him. The NBA is not a democracy. It's a business.
It's the owners that elected Stern. And why not? He is fighting for them.

If Stern is the best man possible to run this little shop of horrors, so be it.

SVG is just whining because Howard is so stupid he gets called for technicals.
The rules have been pretty clear for years now, get a certain amount of techs, you get suspended.

SVG acting like the league has it against Orlando. lol.

Giuseppe
03-13-2011, 06:08 AM
The NBA is not a democracy. It's a business.

That's it, and that's all.

greyforest
03-13-2011, 07:47 AM

The NBA is supposed to be a sport, with objective, unbiased officiating.

It's not.

Trimble87
03-13-2011, 08:04 AM

If Stern is the best man possible to run this little shop of horrors, so be it.

SVG is just whining because Howard is so stupid he gets called for technicals.
The rules have been pretty clear for years now, get a certain amount of techs, you get suspended.

SVG acting like the league has it against Orlando. lol.

I don't buy into any of the conspiracy theories regarding the NBA, so I completely agree with this. Stern was elected by the owners and has a 1 year contract that is renewed every year. If at any time the teams feel he is not doing a good job they can end his contract.

I think SVG had a point about some of the hits Howard takes, but whining to the media is not the way to handle it. Stan is a windbag and a terrible coach, having the best big man in the game and letting Arenas,Hedo,Richardson and Nelson fire threes over and over is hard to watch as a fan of the game... The league will be better when he inevitably gets fired.

Giuseppe
03-13-2011, 10:17 AM
The NBA is supposed to be a sport, with objective, unbiased officiating.

It's not.

Exactly. Like the other guy said, it's a "business." Like McDonald's, or, Ford.

ChuckD
03-13-2011, 12:12 PM
I just get tired of it. I've come to the conclusion that those talking heads could be on Stern's payroll so they might be getting paid to shut the fuck up about it. However, it's a big fuckin' joke. The NBA will be a better when Stern is not running it.

Actually, before he took over, it was a drug infested league that was so popular, the Finals weren't even showed live, they were broadcast on tape delay. I don't like many of his tactics, but to say that Stern has been anything short of fantastic for the NBA is the worst kind of nonsense.

Stern's biggest mistake is that of many powerful people: pride. He's been right so many times, he thinks he can't be wrong. He's also been so successful that he's almost a victim of his own success. That kind of roll cannot go on forever, and things are fraying around the edges, so he over-controls situations.

MannyIsGod
03-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Actually, before he took over, it was a drug infested league that was so popular, the Finals weren't even showed live, they were broadcast on tape delay. I don't like many of his tactics, but to say that Stern has been anything short of fantastic for the NBA is the worst kind of nonsense.

Stern's biggest mistake is that of many powerful people: pride. He's been right so many times, he thinks he can't be wrong. He's also been so successful that he's almost a victim of his own success. That kind of roll cannot go on forever, and things are fraying around the edges, so he over-controls situations.

Most of that success is WAY in the past.

Indazone
03-13-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't buy into any of the conspiracy theories regarding the NBA, so I completely agree with this. Stern was elected by the owners and has a 1 year contract that is renewed every year. If at any time the teams feel he is not doing a good job they can end his contract.

I think SVG had a point about some of the hits Howard takes, but whining to the media is not the way to handle it. Stan is a windbag and a terrible coach, having the best big man in the game and letting Arenas,Hedo,Richardson and Nelson fire threes over and over is hard to watch as a fan of the game... The league will be better when he inevitably gets fired.

lol now you know how I felt watching the Rockets under JVG. I wanted to tear my eyes out watching those pathetic offensive schemes of his.

Indazone
03-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Mark Cuban pays Stern lots of homage money every year for the right to open his mouth and rant. LOL

Giuseppe
03-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Cuban was incensed at a few of those late calls last night. The refs were tardy on the calls at least 3 times. I was even uncomfortable. But, they only showed Cuban as part of the overall picture going into TO's rather than him in isolation. Wonder why.

Spur_Fanatic
03-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Exactly. Like the other guy said, it's a "business." Like McDonald's, or, Ford.

STFU, commie. :rollin :p:

The "NBA" is not a sport.
It's a business.

"Basketball" is a sport.

It's not the same thing.

poop
03-13-2011, 05:19 PM
someone photoshop Stern's face onto the Emperor from Star Wars

greyforest
03-13-2011, 09:13 PM
STFU, commie. :rollin :p:

The "NBA" is not a sport.
It's a business.

"Basketball" is a sport.

It's not the same thing.

Exactly.

We all agree.

NBA : Basketball :: WWE : Wrestling

The "sport" angle starts to mean less when the almighty dollar comes in to the picture.

ChuckD
03-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Most of that success is WAY in the past.

That's a pretty generic statement. Yes, the NBA isn't at it's peak, but what business is, post 2008? On a ten scale for professional sports, the NBA was probably a 4 when he took over, has been up to 9 during Bird Magic Jordan mania, and is probably still a 6.5 or a 7.

Nathan89
03-13-2011, 10:16 PM

Conspiracy or not, the league has terrible officiating and for Stern not to fix this issue makes him a awful commissioner.

IronMexican
03-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Exactly.

We all agree.

NBA : Basketball :: WWE : Wrestling

The "sport" angle starts to mean less when the almighty dollar comes in to the picture.

If you believe this, why do you continue to watch it? That's pretty dumb.

ALVAREZ6
03-13-2011, 10:30 PM

For me, only because of these Spurs. Once they're done (Tim, Manu, Pop more specifically), I hope I never watch another NBA game again. Maybe a couple of game 7s or Finals games from time to time, but other than that...laaaaater.

Jacob1983
03-13-2011, 11:17 PM
I gotta give props to Spurs fans for admitting that the NBA may be fixed/rigged/manipulated or is fixed/rigged/manipulated.

Spur_Fanatic
03-14-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm with Alvarez, the moment Tim and Manu are gone, I'll resume my football addiction.

Jacob1983
03-14-2011, 01:59 AM
LMAO @ no football. People gonna get skinny again.

greyforest
03-14-2011, 02:44 AM

Well it's only partially to WWE, as I've said in the past. The officiating can only steer the games so much.

I watch because the Spurs are a great team, despite the retarded league they play in, and they are my city's only major league sports franchise.

Remember when Stern said his dream finals matchup was the Lakers vs. the Lakers? Watch the dunk "contest" from this year to see what the league is slowly headed towards.