PDA

View Full Version : The Memphis Grizzlies...

lefty
03-08-2011, 08:55 AM
...are beating good teams

WTF?

djohn2oo8
03-08-2011, 09:25 AM
They are a good team

djohn2oo8
03-08-2011, 09:37 AM
It's almost that time, djohn. Will you man up?

You should ask yourself that first then get back to me:downspin:

ohmwrecker
03-08-2011, 10:03 AM
The only thing I would enjoy more than a Spurs Championship is seeing the Lakers' JV squad beat them in the first round.

Venti Quattro
03-08-2011, 10:12 AM
The only thing I would enjoy more than a Spurs Championship is seeing the Lakers' JV squad beat them in the first round.

You can start praying for next year because the JV team has no shitball's chance this year.

ohmwrecker
03-08-2011, 10:33 AM
You can start praying for next year because the JV team has no shitball's chance this year.

I'm not praying for it. I would just enjoy it and I'm always up for a miracle.

Season series is 2-2 :stirpot:

Mike D
03-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Memphis has some toughness inside with ZBo, Gasol, and Gay.

Throwing Tony Allen in the starting lineup has been good to make sure there is a "defense first" personality on the floor. He also sticks to shooting close to the basket, thus preventing long rebounds and potential fast breaks going the other way.

Pelicans78
03-08-2011, 11:07 AM
I could see Memphis winning a couple of games in the first round. They're physical and athletic.

Nick Manning
03-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Memphis has a bright future if they can hold on to most of their key players (they've already signed Conley and Gay). They should still shop around OJ Mayo too. The Grizz have beaten:

Mavericks (x3)
Lakers (x2)
Spurs
Heat
Magic
Thunder (x2)

Both losses in San Antonio went down to the wire and they had an OT loss vs. Boston earlier in the year too.

They are getting better and better and will be a nightmare first round matchup ala OKC last year

Indazone
03-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Now they have defensive glue guy Shane Battier. Maybe they pull it all together now. Could be a nightmare this playoff season.

djohn2oo8
03-08-2011, 11:23 AM
I know it's a challenge for, but man up. No playoffs for Rockets, you have to go away... forever.:lmao

No problem, all I have to do is not log in. You, on the other hand, would have to find an actual place of residence, because your creditors get confused when you repeatedly list spurstalk.com as your physical address

RedsLakers24
03-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Who got better with the trade (gasol, garnett) the Grizz or the Wolves???

lefty
03-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Who got better with the trade (gasol, garnett) the Grizz or the Wolves???
Wolves

With no other legit big, Kevin Love is stat padding

The Gemini Method
03-08-2011, 01:00 PM
It brings tears to my eyes to see the Lakers JV team doing this well. Soon, we'll reap the benefits of it once again. I assure you all...

BoricuaCJA
03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
It brings tears to my eyes to see the Lakers JV team doing this well. Soon, we'll reap the benefits of it once again. I assure you all...
:depressed

jjktkk
03-08-2011, 03:10 PM
They are need of a good coach.

If you really paid attention, youd realize that Memphis does have a good coach. You need to get out of the tanning bed and watch some NBA basketball. :lol

JamStone
03-08-2011, 03:34 PM
If they make the playoffs, they get swept in the first round... unless it's the Lakers, then they'll lose in 7 games.

Killakobe81
03-08-2011, 03:49 PM
If they make the playoffs, they get swept in the first round... unless it's the Lakers, then they'll lose in 7 games.

LOL are you serious or are you in troll mode?

1. who is "Sweeping" them? Lakers maybe, but I doubt them or anyone else is "sweeping" the Grizz. They have two high caliber perimeter defenders: Allen and Battier.

2. they have a speedy pass first PG (tough for lakers good matchup with Parker)

3. They have a legit high scoring all-star (when Gay returns)

4. They have size and rebounding (Gasol and ZBo)

5. They have athletes: Allen, Gay, OJ and even Conley (for his size)

Mavs dont want them in round one neither do spurs ...Battier was a GREAT pickup for them.

WeNeedLength
03-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Memphis is for real this year *Last time we said that????? Possibly when Pau was there but they still got swept.* San Antonio sure as hell doesn't want to see them in the first round but I actually see them climbing the standings to 6 or 7th seed with Denver and New Orleans likely dropping a spot or two. The playoffs are going to be exciting as usual in the West.

P.S. It's a breath of fresh air talking basketball without trolls.:toast However they might see this comment and decide to trash this thread. Ah wellz...

crc21209
03-08-2011, 04:05 PM
They are gonna be a tough out for anyone who gets them in the 1st round....

JamStone
03-08-2011, 04:07 PM
That was a serious post. Memphis is playing well. But they're not anywhere close to any of the top 4 teams in the Western Conference. But that's not why the Lakers wouldn't sweep them. This version of the Lakers just doesn't do that. Just look at the Houston series a couple years ago, even after Yao went down. Lakers are just dumbasses when it comes to putting away inferior teams in the playoffs. Spurs and Mavs should sweep Memphis in a series. I tend to think the Thunder would too. But maybe the Grizz win 1 or 2 games against them. They have played them well I guess.

Conley has played pretty well this year. I personally don't think he's all that good. Marc Gasol is hot and cold. Gay is solid but if you watched him at UConn, the guy disappears in big games, or at least doesn't take over like a star player should. Lol seems like they've had their recent impressive wins without Rudy. Zack Randolph is probably the one guy that gives them a chance because of his awkward and uncanny way to put up big numbers down low against bigger and more athletic bigs. The rest of the team to me is ehh.

They have had a couple nice wins, but the Spurs win was without Tony Parker and I think the Mavs win was more of a fluke than anything. The Hornets beat them basically without David West. And Denver beat them after the trade before the Knicks players got there. Grizzlies are like the Pacers or Bobcats in a way, that they're able to get some big wins against some of the elite teams in the league, but put them in a playoff series, their true colors will show. Hell, the Pistons as bad as they are have wins against Boston, Dallas, and Orlando. I think people tend to look at wins against elite teams and if an average or bad team has more than one they're automatically a scary team to face in the playoffs. I don't buy that at all. Memphis has some nice pieces. They'd probably get swept in the first round unless the team they face aren't very motivated and let them win a game.

Killakobe81
03-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Memphis is for real this year *Last time we said that????? Possibly when Pau was there but they still got swept.* San Antonio sure as hell doesn't want to see them in the first round but I actually see them climbing the standings to 6 or 7th seed with Denver and New Orleans likely dropping a spot or two. The playoffs are going to be exciting as usual in the West.

P.S. It's a breath of fresh air talking basketball without trolls.:toast However they might see this comment and decide to trash this thread. Ah wellz...

I would say there is a chance they move all the way up to 6 but I doubt it. not because they are not capapble but the Gay injury andI also expect these teams to beat up on each other so it will be hard to seperate fromteh field. Muy guess it will stay fluid until the end.

And I dont exclude the Lakers from the club of teams that may not want to see the Grizz. Doubt Grizz could win, but not many teams have their combination of size, speed AND defenders. I think Lakers and spurs kill them with execution biut any team that tries to outrun or gun them may find them tough to beat.

WeNeedLength
03-08-2011, 04:10 PM
That was a serious post. Memphis is playing well. But they're not anywhere close to any of the top 4 teams in the Western Conference. But that's not why the Lakers wouldn't sweep them. This version of the Lakers just doesn't do that. Just look at the Houston series a couple years ago, even after Yao went down. Lakers are just dumbasses when it comes to putting away inferior teams in the playoffs. Spurs and Mavs should sweep Memphis in a series. I tend to think the Thunder would too. But maybe the Grizz win 1 or 2 games against them. They have played them well I guess.

Conley has played pretty well this year. I personally don't think he's all that good. Marc Gasol is hot and cold. Gay is solid but if you watched him at UConn, the guy disappears in big games, or at least doesn't take over like a star player should. Lol seems like they've had their recent impressive wins without Rudy. Zack Randolph is probably the one guy that gives them a chance because of his awkward and uncanny way to put up big numbers down low against bigger and more athletic bigs. The rest of the team to me is ehh.

They have had a couple nice wins, but the Spurs win was without Tony Parker and I think the Mavs win was more of a fluke than anything. The Hornets beat them basically without David West. And Denver beat them after the trade before the Knicks players got there. Grizzlies are like the Pacers or Bobcats in a way, that they're able to get some big wins against some of the elite teams in the league, but put them in a playoff series, their true colors will show. Hell, the Pistons as bad as they are have wins against Boston, Dallas, and Orlando. I think people tend to look at wins against elite teams and if an average or bad team has more than one they're automatically a scary team to face in the playoffs. I don't buy that at all. Memphis has some nice pieces. They'd probably get swept in the first round unless the team they face aren't very motivated and let them win a game.

The same can be said for any team. They have great interior presence and rebounding which is what is needed to compete with the elite teams. Their perimeter players are where the difference will be made to combat the backcourts of the top west teams.

Killakobe81
03-08-2011, 04:15 PM

I think that and I may be wrong (but I doubt it ...LOL) but when you can throw two defenders like battier and allen at say Manu and Tony or durant and Westbrook or Dirk and Terry I just see them being a tough out period. I just think it's tough to say that they cant at least get 1 game ...when teams weaker than this current Grizz team have won a game in the playoffs. I dont see them pushing any of the top 4 to 7 games but 5 or 6 I would say is more likely than a sweep TBH. But some of that depends like you said on Gay stepping up, because their biggest weakness is lack of a top shelf superstar ...Not a huge fan of Conley but if ZBO and Gay and Mayo are scoring how much do you need from Conley?

hater
03-08-2011, 04:16 PM
there are not going to be any sweeps in the 1st round in the West.

With the exception of whoever plays New Orleans.

JamStone
03-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Fair enough. We'll see. (in response to weneedlength)

JamStone
03-08-2011, 04:22 PM
I haven't watched enough of Houston this season or Memphis since Battier was traded. Is Battier still that good of a defender? Tony Allen is overrated as a defender. He's a hack that got away with a lot of shit when he played on the Celtics. He bites on pump fakes. It's just that he's very physical. I think Westbrook would destroy Tony Allen. Even in the last two losses to Memphis, Westbrook averaged 24 points on 50% shooting. And again, Rudy Gay hasn't even played in the recent impressive wins Memphis has had. They might be a better team without Gay.

Would it appease the Memphis bandwagon if I said the Memphis would lose in 5 games against any of the top 4 teams, instead of saying they'd get swept?

Jt.ONE
03-08-2011, 04:26 PM
gotta love our JV team man :cheer

Killakobe81
03-08-2011, 04:28 PM
I haven't watched enough of Houston this season or Memphis since Battier was traded. Is Battier still that good of a defender? Tony Allen is overrated as a defender. He's a hack that got away with a lot of shit when he played on the Celtics. He bites on pump fakes. It's just that he's very physical. I think Westbrook would destroy Tony Allen. Even in the last two losses to Memphis, Westbrook averaged 24 points on 50% shooting. And again, Rudy Gay hasn't even played in the recent impressive wins Memphis has had. They might be a better team without Gay.

Of course Battier has lost a step ...it would be hard not to he was never a truly gifted athlete anyway. But he is still a good defender and very smart. Tony you are correct got away with a lot in Boston ... but I think to say he is JUST a hack is unfair. Yes, he is overly aggressive and bites on head fakes ...but at least he gives you the effort and as you said is EXTREMELY physical. I think he has the tools and the willingness to be a much better defender, problem is he doesnt play smart. I could see him playing up on Russ instead of playing off a half-a-step because his bball IQ is not very high and he seems like the "macho" type ...
But I still think they can win ONE game ...

JamStone
03-08-2011, 04:34 PM
If the point you're trying to argue is that Memphis is capable of winning "one game" in a playoff series against the top 4 teams in the West instead of getting swept, I think you're arguing in vain. Still means they're outmatched against those top teams, which is the point I'm trying to get across. I can concede they "could" win "one game" against the top 4 teams in a playoff series. To me, that's not saying much. I'll even go so far as saying they could be very competitive against Oklahoma City. I think the Spurs, Lakers, and Mavs are a class above the rest of the teams in the West. And those are the teams I was directing my initial comment about.

Mugen
03-08-2011, 04:37 PM
i think DAL/SA/LA all take MEM out in 5. But it'll be a physical 5 games that will all be close.

Conley always go off against the Lakers, like most quick PGs who can score at all and every Memphis scrub goes off against the Spurs (Arthur, Young, Allen, etc.)

They're an athletic and physical squad who rebounds very well but i'd still rather see them than a team like Portland or even New Orleans.

IMO, easiest 1st round matchup will still be Denver.

mikeschy55
03-08-2011, 04:49 PM
They're definitely a team on the rise... they could use a big man, but I see them making a splash the next couple of years.

cobbler
03-08-2011, 04:56 PM
sooooo... 3 years after "the gift" the Grizz have gone from a 15-50 cellar dwellar record at this stage of the season to 36-29 playoff position and all of you are talkiing about their bright future and a possible 1st round upset. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Greg Oden
03-08-2011, 05:00 PM
sooooo... 3 years after "the gift" the Grizz have gone from a 15-50 cellar dwellar record at this stage of the season to 36-29 playoff position and all of you are talkiing about their bright future and a possible 1st round upset. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

yeah Javaris Crittenton is leading this charge.

cobbler
03-08-2011, 05:02 PM
yeah Javaris Crittenton is leading this charge.

Filler... nothing more. Are you denying that the Grizz have improved since the trade and that said trade had anything to do with it?

Greg Oden
03-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Filler

rofl revising history. neat.

cobbler
03-08-2011, 05:06 PM
rofl revising history. neat.

Are you sayihg Critt was a key component? He simply wasn't. Kwame's expiring was and nothing you say changes that or the fact that with that expiring and Marc they have turned their team around. Nice try. Many of us pointed all this out at the time but it was often unheard of or laughed at due to the excessive whining going on. Who's laughing now? :lmao

Greg Oden
03-08-2011, 05:09 PM
they sure weren't trading because Pau's overweight little brother was some stud. But it's always funny to see you get so defensive. Is that a setback for all handicaps?

hater
03-08-2011, 05:10 PM
It was collusion 2 years ago and is collusion today.

cobbler
03-08-2011, 05:13 PM
they sure weren't trading because Pau's overweight little brother was some stud. But it's always funny to see you get so defensive. Is that a setback for all handicaps?

I'll consider this your surrender.

Not defensive at all... just pointing out the obvious that I pointed out 3 years ago. I certainly didn't expect a moron like yourself to come up with anything substancial other than getting personal. Par for the course.

cobbler
03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
It was collusion 2 years ago and is collusion today.

Proof?

Trade worked out GREAT for both parties involved. Pau was on the block well over a year and it is doccumented. End of story.

Mugen
03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Yea, cuz that was the best deal MEM could get for Pau Gasol...:rolleyes

cobbler
03-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Yea, cuz that was the best deal MEM could get for Pau Gasol...:rolleyes

Looks like it turned out pretty well for them now didn't it? They wanted the highest expiring to play with. Kwame was the highest. They played with it and now all you are here talking about their bright future.

Go figure...

Greg Oden
03-08-2011, 05:18 PM
so exactly where is Marc Gasol on the list of the Grizzlies' best players?

Greg Oden
03-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I'll consider this your surrender.

Not defensive at all... just pointing out the obvious that I pointed out 3 years ago. I certainly didn't expect a moron like yourself to come up with anything substancial other than getting personal. Par for the course.

defensive, as usual.

cobbler
03-08-2011, 05:23 PM
so exactly where is Marc Gasol on the list of the Grizzlies' best players?

Could care less. Is he an important component in their team and its rising success? Any answer other than yes is pure BS and you know it. Have a wonderful day!

Greg Oden
03-08-2011, 05:24 PM
:yield

Kyle Orton
03-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Are you sayihg Critt was a key component?

At the time of the trade, Lakerfan was saying that involving Crittenton is what made it a fair trade. There was no mention of Marc Gasol from lakerfan till he debuted in the NBA and played well. It's not like yallz were calling it from the get go Gasol would be a good NBA center (which he is, and in hindsight it was a good trade, but at the time Lakerfan's argument was Crittenton's upside).

Kyle Orton
03-08-2011, 05:35 PM
And both sides are guilty of revising history. Lakerfan is guilty of saying they always knew Crittenton sucked and they knew Marc Gasol was the main component of the deal. The collusion krew is guilty of acting like the Grizzlies traded the double double machine Pau is today who defends the pick and roll extremely well and is maybe the NBA's most well rounded big man on offense. At the time of the trade, Gasol had yet to have a season where he averaged double double (or win a playoff game), he was a really soft and lazy defender who other teams made an effort to pick on, and his jumper was such that you didn't have to guard him outside of 5 feet. My guess is the Grizzlies would have never traded today's Pau Gasol for that package as season ticket holders in Memphis wouldn't have been fed up with him the way they were.

cobbler
03-08-2011, 05:52 PM
At the time of the trade, Lakerfan was saying that involving Crittenton is what made it a fair trade. There was no mention of Marc Gasol from lakerfan till he debuted in the NBA and played well. It's not like yallz were calling it from the get go Gasol would be a good NBA center (which he is, and in hindsight it was a good trade, but at the time Lakerfan's argument was Crittenton's upside).

No doubt Critt was over valued and Marc undervalued by many. However, there were several of us who stood our ground when you were all laughing and I said we will see when it's all said and done. Alanon was one who shared my opinion on Marc. Whatever happened to him?

Anyway, All is said and done and it was a great trade for all involved. Collusion smollusion... just crybaby tears to me.

Kyle Orton
03-08-2011, 05:55 PM
The opinion that "it was a good trade for both sides" and Allanon's opinion are two different things. Whether it was by accident or by events unrelated to the Pau trade, the Grizzlies have improved since the trade so you can obv. say the trade helped them. Allanon saying "Marc Gasol > Pau Gasol" and that the Pau trade was bad for LA is simply retarded.

cobbler
03-08-2011, 05:59 PM
The opinion that "it was a good trade for both sides" and Allanon's opinion are two different things. Whether it was by accident or by events unrelated to the Pau trade, the Grizzlies have improved since the trade so you can obv. say the trade helped them. Allanon saying "Marc Gasol > Pau Gasol" and that the Pau trade was bad for LA is simply retarded.

Yes of course he went way overbaord... that's a given. When all is said and done... after the fact... the trade was not nearly as lopsided as everyone lambasted and still to this day do even when presented the current state of the teams. It was a great trade for both teams. Just as some of us said then. Nothing less, nothing more. Pure and simple...

Kyle Orton
03-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Agreed. It was a team w/ a superstar who got complacent and lazy and had no interest in trying hard during his team's rebuilding process, so they traded him well below full value to a team that was interested and in "win now" mode that would light a fire under him. No different than a situation such as when Philly traded Barkley to any team willing to give them remote value.

lefty
03-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Bump

They got destroyed by the Heat

Which confirms they only beat good teams