PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Rasho, it was nice!!

CaptainLate
06-02-2005, 10:20 AM
With a full training camp with Tim, Nazr is the future center. Rasho ends up being a stop-gap measure post-DRob era. Mgmt will dump Rasho's contract to some team needing a competent center -- and there are PLENTY out there -- before he gets too old.

Got to give Spurs Mgmt props for their farsightedness. I think they traded Malik knowing that if Nazr worked out they'd trade Rasho. Thanks, Isiah (Thomas). LMAO

Question is, will Rasho be traded in the offseason or will the Spurs wait till the 2006 trading deadline -- assuming there is a 2006 -- to see which team gives us the best deal.

SWC Bonfire
06-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I doubt any trade will take place before the new CBA is in place.

kskonn
06-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Rasho for Shawn Marion? Man that would be awesome.

I really don't get the feeling they are going to trade rasho. he makes a great back up, and he knows the system inside and out.

I bet we will be singing his praises in the finals when he plays agains the bigs from the east. He will come up big in the finals.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
06-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Don't be so hasty. I know it's fashionable to dump on Rasho, and Mohammed has been huge for us in the playoffs so far. BUT I suspect the reason Rasho didn't play vs. Phoenix has more to do with the matchups and his lack of foot speed (e..g. getting back in transition) than anything else. He'll play against either Miami or Detroit, and don't be surprised if he comes up with some nice defensive plays/board work.

I know it pains the Spurs fans to admit this, but Nesterovic is a perfectly serviceable center for this ballclub. Not saying he should start over Mohammed, but who's to say he can't come off the bench next year, especially if Horry retires? You can't teach big, as they say, and decent 7 footers aren't in high supply. Sure, if somebody takes his contract, you might move him for other parts, but is there another Zeke Thomas out there?

Bottom line is, people need to get off the Rasho sucks/Nazr is the best line.
When the Admiral left, it created a huge void in the middle, and it probably takes TWO to fill it.

kginsa
06-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Don't be so hasty. I know it's fashionable to dump on Rasho, and Mohammed has been huge for us in the playoffs so far. BUT I suspect the reason Rasho didn't play vs. Phoenix has more to do with the matchups and his lack of foot speed (e..g. getting back in transition) than anything else. He'll play against either Miami or Detroit, and don't be surprised if he comes up with some nice defensive plays/board work.

I know it pains the Spurs fans to admit this, but Nesterovic is a perfectly serviceable center for this ballclub. Not saying he should start over Mohammed, but who's to say he can't come off the bench next year, especially if Horry retires? You can't teach big, as they say, and decent 7 footers aren't in high supply. Sure, if somebody takes his contract, you might move him for other parts, but is there another Zeke Thomas out there?

When the Admiral left, it created a huge void in the middle, and it probably takes TWO to fill it.

TwoHandJam
06-02-2005, 10:45 AM
I agree Rasho makes a capable backup but I don't think the Spurs can afford his salary as backup. When Parker's contract kicks in next year and we use our MLE to get Scola or others, plus trying to extend Nazr.... I don't think Holt is going to pony up for the kind of payroll that will put us in lux tax territory.

kginsa
06-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks Ghost.....I couldn't have said it better. Many will be surprised (or pissed off) to see Rasho remain in San Antonio for the entire 05-06 season....I don't think the Spurs have ANY INTENTION of trading him....You are an eloquent writer and there is nothing left to say....Rasho "ain't" goin' nowhere....

samikeyp
06-02-2005, 10:49 AM
*counting the minutes until RashoFan and Angel Luv unleash fury upon this thread*

:lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Rasho is staying put as long as the Shaq is in this league. Nazr is much too prone to foul trouble for the Spurs to not want to keep a top notch back up around.

SWC Bonfire
06-02-2005, 11:10 AM
There is something to be said about not allowing Rasho to go elsewhere, into enemy hands so to speak.

I like Rasho and he gets bagged on WAY too much. But other clubs will probably see his value since there is such a shortage of big men and the Spurs might get an offer they can't refuse.

GoSpurs21
06-02-2005, 11:17 AM
even though Rasho is a great backup center, the Spurs cant afford to pay a backup center 7M a year. Rasho will be traded.

MasterYoda
06-02-2005, 11:20 AM
prove his worth in the finals, he must.

when over the season is, clear will all things be...

but no doubt, lack balls, rasho does. :(

MannyIsGod
06-02-2005, 11:22 AM
I told you all last night, it's only a matter of time until the trade Rasho for a dozen Krispy Kreme threads pop up.

SWC Bonfire
06-02-2005, 11:22 AM
even though Rasho is a great backup center, the Spurs cant afford to pay a backup center 7M a year. Rasho will be traded.

I agree, that creates a problem on the salary expectations of Nazr, as well. Let's not write Rasho off yet, his ankle may be hurting him more than the Spurs let on.

angel_luv
06-02-2005, 11:29 AM
*counting the minutes until RashoFan and Angel Luv unleash fury upon this thread*

Need I say more?

Okay, I will...

Sami, I hope you didn't have to count higher than ten minutes...would hate for you to have had to take your shoes off. :lol J/K

angel_luv
06-02-2005, 11:31 AM
I told you all last night, it's only a matter of time until the trade Rasho for a dozen Krispy Kreme threads pop up.

I don't know which bugs me more Mannny, this thread or that you were right,
LOL!

3 Ring Timmy
06-02-2005, 11:45 AM
All I can really say,is that Pop,and the rest of the suits have proven to make the right moves.So whatever they decide,will be the right decision.><>

samikeyp
06-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Sami, I hope you didn't have to count higher than ten minutes...would hate for you to have had to take your shoes off.

*note to self....no longer have Angel_luv's back in pro-Rasho arguments*

spur219
06-02-2005, 11:48 AM
I do see the Spurs trying to trade Rasho in the offseason for either a long agile center or PF such as Tyson Chandler either that or a long SF.

ladiesman
06-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks Ghost.....I couldn't have said it better. Many will be surprised (or pissed off) to see Rasho remain in San Antonio for the entire 05-06 season....I don't think the Spurs have ANY INTENTION of trading him....You are an eloquent writer and there is nothing left to say....Rasho "ain't" goin' nowhere....
And that is the sad part.....

SLOVENIAN 8
06-02-2005, 12:21 PM
We will see how wallace will eat Nazr alive....

angel_luv
06-02-2005, 12:23 PM
*note to self....no longer have Angel_luv's back in pro-Rasho arguments*

Rasho is going to kill me. You are the second fan I have cost him this week.

My apologies oh gracious one. Great shoes! Great feet! :lol

samikeyp
06-02-2005, 12:26 PM

As a Spurs fan...you don't want this.

Its ok Angel...I am still Rasho's fan as well as yours. :)

spurschick
06-02-2005, 12:28 PM
I can't believe that people are discussing trades - WE JUST WON THE WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS!!! Can we at least get the trophy before we start selling off the TEAM who got us here?!

ladiesman
06-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Nice !!! I'm pretty sure you are hoping for this to happen....

RASHO IS A PUSSY... DEAL WITH IT !!!!

angel_luv
06-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Its ok Angel...I am still Rasho's fan as well as yours. :)

( Angel blushes) Thanks very much. Back at you! = )

SLOVENIAN 8
06-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Nice !!! I'm pretty sure you are hoping for this to happen....

RASHO IS A PUSSY... DEAL WITH IT !!!!

I really hopin that Spurs win NBA finals so Beno and Rasho will came back with rings!!!! :smokin
And Rasho will start in first 5 in next round, you will see

angel_luv
06-02-2005, 12:33 PM
I can't believe that people are discussing trades - WE JUST WON THE WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS!!! Can we at least get the trophy before we start selling off the TEAM who got us here?!

Exellent point.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2005, 12:34 PM
I said it a couple of weeks ago...

Extend Nazr this summer
Sign Scola

Trade Rasho for a long SF.

Game over, NBA.

ladiesman
06-02-2005, 12:38 PM
And Rasho will start in first 5 in next round, you will see

I will bet you my $600 plus vBookie $$$ that you are wrong !! :smokin

EasilyAmused
06-02-2005, 12:40 PM
I don't want Rasho to go :depressed

SLOVENIAN 8
06-02-2005, 12:42 PM
I will bet you my $600 plus vBookie $$$ that you are wrong !! :smokin
ok :smokin

ladiesman
06-02-2005, 12:52 PM
ok :smokin

If you don't wimp out, .... He has to start the first 5 games of the next round... starting on thursday.... Something tells me you are lets just say....

ChumpDumper
06-02-2005, 12:53 PM
You can't bet vBookie money that way

ladiesman
06-02-2005, 12:54 PM
He will still be owned by his STUPID ASS prediction though......

ChumpDumper
06-02-2005, 01:02 PM
It's not too farfetched -- players generally aren't supposed to lose their strating positions due to injury and the Suns' small ball was not a matchup for Rasho. Then again, Pop usually changes things only when he has to. We'll certainly see more of him regardless.

ladiesman
06-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Agree with you Chump, but he won't start. That is my point.

GrandeDavid
06-02-2005, 01:08 PM

Amen, sister! Its not like the Spurs are even in the top half of the league in payroll. They have a nice, deep roster. Don't fvck wit it.

easjer
06-02-2005, 01:18 PM

Precisely.

Again, a big part of the reason we traded Malik was because of the need for a true size back up center. We have enough PF backups. We need a true center back-up. Rasho will stay.

Besides, he adds the stronger defense to Nazr's quickness. Having both and having the luxury of switching them out is worth the money.

Further, the need for another SF is not so prevalent, and we would do fine this summer or next to pick up a 2nd round or non drafted college player to train up under Bruce Bowen to be a good defender - easier to come across than a true center (as evidenced by the persistant trade Rasho argument that so many teams need one).

So yeah, I don't expect Rasho will be leaving, particularly as it appears the CBA will extend the cap room.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-02-2005, 01:33 PM

...and let's not forget how much we'll need Rasho during Ramadan next season.

GrandeDavid
06-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I don't want Rasho to go because I'd miss all the cool Slovenians who hang around here...although we've still got the young stud Beno Udrih!

bigbendbruisebrother
06-02-2005, 02:06 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050602/capt.pna13506020431.spurs_suns_pna135.jpg
Rasho for Shawn Marion? Man that would be awesome.

I really don't get the feeling they are going to trade rasho. he makes a great back up, and he knows the system inside and out.

I bet we will be singing his praises in the finals when he plays agains the bigs from the east. He will come up big in the finals.

Oh MAN! I'm gettin' traded for Rasho! WTF!!!

bigzak25
06-02-2005, 02:30 PM
rasho will not take all this trade talk well....

http://www.shrani.si/pics/bscap0033850.jpg

ReverendRob
06-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Ladiesman. I believe that Slov8 meant that he was going to start in the next round, as in be part of the first five players, not start the first five games. Why would he assume there would be five games and if there was a sixth, would Rasho not start? No faith in a sweep?

Especially if we play Miami, it's not inconceivable that Pop might want to start Rasho (who plays decent defense against Shaq) for extra height and better knowledge of our system to counter Shaq, and then use Nazr to counter Zo's quickness. I'm not saying it's going to happen but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-02-2005, 04:22 PM
I don't want Rasho to go because I'd miss all the cool Slovenians who hang around here...although we've still got the young stud Beno Udrih!

So true! What would this board be without Slomo and the gang?

Sense
06-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Heh...many people thought that trading malik was gay..

Well we got a starting center in return...

I don't think Malik would've ever started.

SWC Bonfire
06-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Especially if we play Miami, it's not inconceivable that Pop might want to start Rasho (who plays decent defense against Shaq) for extra height and better knowledge of our system to counter Shaq, and then use Nazr to counter Zo's quickness. I'm not saying it's going to happen but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I would love to see that, simply because it would cause Steven A. Smith's head to explode on national television and we'd be done with him once and for all.

ladiesman
06-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Ladiesman. I believe that Slov8 meant that he was going to start in the next round

And he wont.

As a side note, I saw Stephen A. comming out of the elevators at the Palms in Vegas last September, and I could not help myself.... "RASHO NESTEROVIC !!!!!" I exclaimed, and he just looked at me and smiled.... You see, eventhough he is a puss, I still got my boys back, not like Slov who is wishing for Nazr gets torched for his boy to get some minutes.....

RashoFan
06-02-2005, 09:13 PM

SpursChick has a good point.
We shall see soon enough which team we will face in the Finals. I have FAITH that Rasho will be all up on either Wallace or Shaq. He will defend against the their "Bigs" and open up a can of "Slovenia Whup Ass"

spurschick
06-02-2005, 09:37 PM
We shall see soon enough which team we will face in the Finals. I have FAITH that Rasho will be all up on either Wallace or Shaq. He will defend against the their "Bigs" and open up a can of "Slovenia Whup Ass"

If we play Miami, we will definitely need Rasho to help with Shaq.

milkyway21
06-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Rasho is not playing lately due to his late season injury and Nazr emergence as a threat at center.

But i hope he stays as a Spur next season. After two seasons as a Spur he has become a threat as a defender, though not a scorer. I DON'T WANT HIM TO GUARD DUNCAN, do you?

That's one reason we signed Horry bec. he really guards Tim well as a Laker.

angel_luv
06-02-2005, 10:27 PM
But i hope he stays as a Spur next season. After two seasons as a Spur he has become a threat as a defender, though not a scorer. I DON'T WANT HIM TO GUARD DUNCAN, do you?

That's one reason we signed Horry bec. he really guards Tim well as a Laker.

I'll back any reason that convinces Pop and CO. to keep my baby here with me. I love my 'Sho.

SequSpur
06-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Rasho is not very good.

No offense.

angel_luv
06-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Pop must not agree with you. Why else would he go to the effort to recruit Rasho and bring him here.

Pop's vote trumps the rest!

wildbill2u
06-02-2005, 10:58 PM
We've seen how important capable backups are this year, especially at the big positions. If Rasho gets 7M that's probably too much for a backup, but they'' have to go out and find someone to replace him. Scola is too small and not a proven NBA player yet.

But Pop and the FO will pull another rabbit out of their Euro berets. :-)

SLOVENIAN 8
06-03-2005, 02:28 AM
I believe that Slov8 meant that he was going to start in the next round, as in be part of the first five players, not start the first five games.

true..

johnny00
06-03-2005, 07:12 AM
Rasho is not very good.

No offense.

ManuTastic
06-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Strange as it sounds, Rasho is a luxury item: a 7-foot backup with moderate skills on a team that already has two better centers. Nazr is obviously better, but if Spurs face Miami we'll all be happy to have Rasho, even as cannon fodder. It's a great situation (ok, maybe not for Rasho).
IF Nazr stays, and IF SA can't afford to have Rasho also, then you really have to think about trading him to address the aging Horry/Bowen situation (who was a monster against Phx).
Shawn Marion? OMG. Can you imagine how freaking unstoppable a backcourt of Tony, Manu and Matrix would be?? </end wet dream>

boutons
06-03-2005, 08:38 AM
"Why else would he go to the effort to recruit Rasho and bring him here."

Pop is very good about not trashing any invididual player in public (excluding the side-line face-to-face rants), and has only said good things about Rasho on the Pop show, but I really wonder if what Rasho has contributed is what Pop was expecting?
I don't think Rasho's lack of PT in the playoffs is due only to his ankle or matchups.

xcoriate
06-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Rasho for Shawn Marion?

Rasho for LeBron ???

Yeah! STFU