PDA

View Full Version : "White" version of Hendrix?

TheManFromAcme
03-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Was surfing youtube being a boring day and all and ran into this.
Of course there will never be another Jimi Hendrix but I think this kid has got something here. Playing one of my favorite jams of Hendrix.

What do you all think?

z5LJT509tEU

Chris
03-08-2011, 07:54 PM
SRV is the only person I've ever seen that could be considered a white Hendrix.

Chomag
03-08-2011, 08:35 PM
He is Talented I'll give him that. but he is just copying a tune that has been already made. Most people that are good with that instrument can do that.

I'm not near qualified to judge him of course but to compare someone just playing an instrument to Hindrix doesnt really say much. I would love to hear his own stuff if he has anything though.

CosmicCowboy
03-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Check out Robin Trower if you are looking for a white Hendrix.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-09-2011, 10:05 AM
SRV is the only person I've ever seen that could be considered a white Hendrix.

I've said it before here and in person that Stevie did Jimi better than Jimi. I'll say that and stand by that til the day I die.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Check out Robin Trower if you are looking for a white Hendrix.

He's good. Don't know if you knew or went but he was in SA about a month or so ago. I think he was at Sam's.

TheManFromAcme
03-09-2011, 10:37 AM
He is Talented I'll give him that. but he is just copying a tune that has been already made. Most people that are good with that instrument can do that.

I'm not near qualified to judge him of course but to compare someone just playing an instrument to Hindrix doesnt really say much. I would love to hear his own stuff if he has anything though.

I agree with your post. I don't know diddly-squat about how to play. I just listen and enjoy.

I still think the kid has talent but like others stated already, SRV is the closet thing we had. Silly of me to forget....:(

Halberto
03-09-2011, 02:01 PM
I've said it before here and in person that Stevie did Jimi better than Jimi. I'll say that and stand by that til the day I die.

I can understand why you think that, but really what does that say about Stevie? Essentially, SRV borrowed from Hendrix and created a more complex blues spin of it. It's amazing and I think SRV is technically the most gifted guitarist I've ever seen, but in the end there would be no SRV without Jimi. Jimi's originality, skill and ability to maintain a steady melody is what separates him from the rest. The man took a Bob Dylan song and made it even more moving...

Greg Oden
03-09-2011, 02:08 PM
I think SRV is technically the most gifted guitarist I've ever seen,

what?

SRV is as good as anybody ever, but technicality isn't the reason.

Condemned 2 HelLA
03-09-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm of the opinion that this guy does a damn good version of Hendrix:

R_7Wh0iYr6g

Halberto
03-09-2011, 02:55 PM
what?

SRV is as good as anybody ever, but technicality isn't the reason.

What I mean by technically is that he can use every technique in the book and play it cleaner than anyone. (please dont dissext rhis, its just an opinion)