PDA

View Full Version : Spurs ahead of the curve dealing with concussions

GSH
03-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Some people wondered why Gary Neal was out so long with his head injury. It looks like the Spurs were just getting out in front of the league on dealing with concussions. Next season, that kind of long evaluation period might be mandatory.

From NBA .com: NBA mulling league-wide formal concussion policy

The NBA is consulting with an independent neurologist and may establish a league-wide policy for handling concussions by next season, The Associated Press has learned.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank confirmed the discussions Tuesday.

"The NBA Team Physicians Society has been studying the issue of concussion management for several years and each team follows its own treatment and return-to-play protocols," he said. "In addition, the league is working with a consulting neurologist concerning the possible adoption of a league-wide protocol."

Read the rest here - http://www.nba.com/2011/news/03/08/nba-concussions.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

My favorite comment was from Keyon Dooling, a vice president of the NBA players' union executive committee.

"Our brain is our most powerful muscle, and if you've got anything off-kilter with that, it can be problematic," Dooling said.

Nice one, Kenyon. I can see why the players elected you to represent them. I'm making mental preparations for a lockout.

boutons_deux
03-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Keyon laying out the science.

gospursgojas
03-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Kenyon Dooling is VP of Players union exec whatever? Sweet. Wondered what happened to that guy. I remember him and RayRay fighting in the front row.

Libri
03-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Kenyon Dooling is VP of Players union exec whatever? Sweet. Wondered what happened to that guy. I remember him and RayRay fighting in the front row.

He did a pretty good job this season of filling in when Brandon Jennings was hurt. He has returned to his back up role.

greyforest
03-08-2011, 11:38 PM
our brain is our most powerful muscle....

except that's not true, because it's not a muscle.

the most powerful muscle is the heart.

EricB
03-08-2011, 11:42 PM
our brain is our most powerful muscle....

except that's not true, because it's not a muscle.

the most powerful muscle is the heart.

"Muscle? Germans?"

"Forget it he's rolling"

chazley
03-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Actually, our strongest muscle is your tongue.

But I digress.

GSH
03-09-2011, 01:00 AM
"Muscle? Germans?"

"Forget it he's rolling"

You made me laugh. Any Animal House reference is a good Animal House reference.

Yeah, that pretty much captures the look on my face as I read that quote. It was sort of like reading a mix of Bluto and Dan Quayle. And he's on the union's executive committee? Seriously...we really are doomed to a lockout.

Bluto: "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"

Dan Quayle: "What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2011, 01:58 AM
wasnt doolin the guy who throw a elbow into KGs grill

he gets my vote

gospursgojas
03-09-2011, 01:58 AM
Actually, our strongest muscle is your tongue.

But I digress.

I was just gonna post this.

In relative terms.

gospursgojas
03-09-2011, 01:59 AM
wasnt doolin the guy who throw a elbow into KGs grill

he gets my vote

Naw...you're thinking of Antony Peeler.