PDA

View Full Version : Peter King's Muslim hearings: A key moment in an angry conversation

George Gervin's Afro
03-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Peter King's Muslim hearings: A key moment in an angry conversation

By David A. Fahrenthold and Michelle Boorstein
Wednesday, March 9, 2011; 11:37 AM

It won't be on the official agenda. It might not even be asked out loud. But it may be the most important question during a congressional hearing Thursday on homegrown Islamic terrorists.

Even in the tense months after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, public discussions of Islamic extremists were usually accompanied by a careful disclaimer that a peaceful religion had been hijacked.

But fueled by the Fort Hood massacre, controversy over a proposed Islamic center near Ground Zero and a series of high-profile arrests of home-grown terrorists, conservatives in particular have grown increasingly bold in criticizing Islam itself. They have objected to mosques, banned sharia law, attacked passages in the Koran.

On Thursday, the discussion about Muslims' place - and Muslims' obligations - in American society will move to Capitol Hill. The hearing, called by Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.), could be a key moment in one of the country's angriest conversations.

"You can say things, about this particular religion, which you cannot say about any other religion in the United States of America," said Akbar Ahmed, a professor at American University.

Ahmed said the hearings could either encourage, or defuse, a growing sense of suspicion aimed at Muslims: "We were blind to it. And now that it's surfaced, and it's out there, I think we're at a very dangerous moment in America history," he said. "It's like a boil, and it needs to be pricked."

King's hearing will start Thursday morning in the high-arched, chandeliered hearing room of the House Committee on Homeland Security. The title is "The Extent of Radicalization in the American Muslim Community and that Community's Response."

It's not the first time Congress has tackled the subject of homegrown terror. Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) held 14 such hearings between 2006 and 2009, and former Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif.) held six in the House.

Public opinion about Muslims hasn't changed much during the past decade; 43 percent of Americans view Muslims negatively, according to a recent Time poll.

What's different now is the tone of the discussion - in Congress, and across the country.

In Lieberman's hearings, most witnesses preceded their comments by saying that the problem was not Islam itself. That was an echo of what former president George W. Bush said just days after Sept. 11, 2001, when he went to a District mosque and declared "Islam is peace." That remark and others that followed had the effect of constraining criticism, particularly from the right.

But now King has opened the door for less restrained commentary with his own incendiary comments about American Muslims and their mosques. King has said that there are "too many mosques in the country" and he has alleged that nearly all of them are run by radical extremists.

On Tuesday, King told Fox News that "I will not back down whatsoever" in the face of criticism that he is demonizing American Muslims.

"The threat analysis is that the danger comes from this small segment within the Muslim-American community," King said. "And unfortunately, not enough leaders in the Muslim community are willing to face up to that, as is evidenced by their irresponsible conduct over the last several months."
Around the country, the discussion about Muslims and terrorism has grown harsher over the past 18 months. It began when a Muslim Army doctor killed 13 people in a shooting rampage at Fort Hood, Texas, in 2009. A Muslim immigrant from Pakistan, Faisal Shahzad, was convicted of an attempted car bombing in Times Square in May 2010. Both said they were driven by their concept of Islam.

Then, last summer, a proposal for an Islamic community center near Ground Zero stirred bitter opposition. The pastor of a tiny church in Florida garnered international attention when he threatened to burn a pile of Korans on the anniversary of Sept. 11.

Oklahoma changed its constitution to "protect" it from Islamic religious law, known as sharia.

This month, hundreds of protesters gathered outside a fundraiser for an Islamic group in Yorba Linda, Calif., to voice their objections to two speakers at the event. Both men, the protesters said, had been sympathetic to radical causes in the past.

Afterward, the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a controversial advocacy group, released a video clip that showed protesters shouting "USA! USA!" as women in headscarves filed by. In another, a man yelled, "Muhammad was a pervert!"

Now, at this tense moment, King's hearing will attempt to characterize millions of American Muslims in the space of a few hours. The House's Republican leadership has signaled support and the hearings have been hailed by an increasingly vocal cadre of conservatives.

Lieberman, in a phone interview this week, said the questions King is raising about cooperation with law enforcement "are important ones, and real ones."

Frank J. Cilluffo, director of the Homeland Security Policy Institute at George Washington University and a former special assistant to President George W. Bush, also said the hearings were worthwhile.

"From my perspective, there is an opportunity to be able to discuss in an open kind of way: Who is being radicalized? Why? What potential indicators are [there]? How can communities be better prepared to police themselves?" Cilluffo said.

But the list of King's witnesses makes it appear that a full answer to these questions is unlikely to come Thursday.

Two of those testifying have deeply personal stories about radicalization in America.One saw his son - a Muslim convert - arrested for a shooting that killed one U.S. soldier at a recruiting station in Arkansas. Another, a Somali American, had a nephew turn radical: He left to join Islamic militants in Somalia, and was killed there.

Another witness will be Zuhdi Jasser, an Muslim doctor from Arizona, who has offered a critique of the Muslim community from within. Jasser has said Muslim Americans should alter what he calls a "culture of separatism," and a feeling of victimhood and persecution.

King did not invite the leaders of any of the country's large Muslim organizations. And, despite his questions about Muslims' cooperation with investigators, he did not call anyone from law enforcement.

Democrats on the committee have called Leroy Baca, the sheriff of Los Angeles County. In the past, Baca has praised Muslim groups in his area for their help. Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn), one of two Muslim members of Congress, also will testify.

In a sense, Muslim activists say, the day's most important witness might be King himself. His questions, and his tone, could become signposts for others about how Islam is viewed by those in power.

"The danger is, people who already have a negative view of Muslims or Islam will use this as a verification that they are correct in their views," said Robert Marro, who heads the government relations committee at ADAMS, a prominent Sterling mosque. "People think: If they're holding hearings, these people must be guilty. There must be fire if there is smoke."

Hedieh Mirahmadi, a Muslim activist who works to promote moderate Islam, said she also saw a chance for a useful dialogue that might reveal lessons for both Muslims and other Americans.

"It depends on what happens," Mirahmadi said. "If it's truly inquisitive, if it's a sincere desire to find out the information on what is going wrong in the community, to me that's not a problem."

"The threat analysis is that the danger comes from this small segment within the Muslim-American community," King said. "And unfortunately, not enough leaders in the Muslim community are willing to face up to that, as is evidenced by their irresponsible conduct over the last several months."

This statement is a key indicator on where these hearings are going.

King:
"Why aren't you denouncing terrorism?"

Withness: " We have"

King: " Not enough to satisfy America"
"Why don't you face up to the irresponsible conduct?"

Witness: " Why do we have to own up for other peole's actions?"

King: "Because you're a muslim"

King might be the biggest douche bag in the House..

boutons_deux
03-09-2011, 01:06 PM
"biggest douche bag in the House."

Only a member of group Biggest Douches in The House.

Joe McCarthy, unless the Repugs have rehabilitated him, is smiling up on King.

Then there's that other douche King from Iowa.

Then there's all the TX bubba-repping douchebags.

What We Have Here Is DoucheBag Fatigue.

George Gervin's Afro
03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
"I have no choice, I have to hold these hearings, these hearings are absolutely essential," said King. "There are elements in that community that are being radicalized, and I believe that the leadership, the leaders of that community, do not face up to that reality. Too many cases are not cooperative, not willing to speak out and condemn this type of radicalization that is going on," he insisted.

really douche bag? define the outrage that you expect to see..

RandomGuy
03-09-2011, 01:57 PM
This statement is a key indicator on where these hearings are going.

King:"Why aren't you denouncing terrorism?"
Witness: " We have"
King: " Not enough to satisfy America"
"Why don't you face up to the irresponsible conduct?"
Witness: " Why do we have to own up for other people's actions?"
King: "Because you're a muslim"

King might be the biggest douche bag in the House..

Is there any doubt that this is Macarthyism redux? Really?

Given the overall level of xenophobia exibited here and elsewhere by "good" Christians.

DarrinS
03-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Is there any doubt that this is Macarthyism redux? Really?

Oh please.

boutons_deux
03-09-2011, 04:25 PM
King lies. yawn

Law enforcement says nearly all of their leads on suspect US Muslims comes from the Muslim community.

Seeing a hyper-powerful, super-dangerous, murderous Muslim under every bed, scapegoating an entire religion, is very definitely a repeat of the scare-mongering and hate exploitation of McCarhyism.

RandomGuy
03-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Oh please.

Are you now, or have you ever been, a Muslim?

DarrinS
03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Liberal Reality

QdbUwlM4bK4

REALITY Reality

jKNyKV8BEXE

RandomGuy
03-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Oh please.

Perhaps you will accuse Democrats of being soft on, or in league with Muslims?

DarrinS
03-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Perhaps you will accuse Democrats of being soft on, or in league with Muslims?

They have more important things to do, like creating a new tone of civility and cracking down on the use of military metaphors in our political speech. I don't know what they plan on doing with the word "campaign".

z0sa
03-09-2011, 04:43 PM
The devout do not scare me. The devoutly hateful do. Thus, as much as Muslim extremism scares me, so does this Islamic hatemongering.

I think the McCarthy parallel is a bit chilling, though its impact was exponentially larger than anything these hearings could ever be.

boutons_deux
03-09-2011, 05:05 PM
"Muslim extremism scares me"

You have many times chance of being murdered by American than by a Muslim terrorist.

Marcus Bryant
03-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Considering the scale of 9/11 and subsequent wars, the degree of anti-Islamic activity, including violence within the US has been relatively small. A major reason, IMO, is that there are relatively few actual Muslims in the country. Most wouldn't know what to do if they met an actual Muslim. They'd probably be shocked to find out that they don't have six arms and don't bite.

These hearings are a self serving spectacle, especially given King's support of the IRA.

Marcus Bryant
03-09-2011, 06:27 PM
this is not to say that such radicalism does not exist, but rather that the way to deal with actual national security threats is for those to be identified through standard law enforcement methods rather than attempting to ratchet up the rhetoric.

Marcus Bryant
03-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Almost a decade later some are still trying to cash in on the bloody shirt of 9/11.

Oh, and where's Rudy?

RandomGuy
03-09-2011, 07:26 PM
"Muslim extremism scares me"

You have many times chance of being murdered by American than by a Muslim terrorist.

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

Since 2001, 369,000 Americans have died in car crashes.

boutons_deux
03-10-2011, 07:55 AM
As King Targets Muslims, There Have Been Almost Twice As Many Plots Since 9/11 From Non-Muslim Terrorists

Anti-Government/Anti-Tax Extremists: There have been 36 plots by right-wing extremists since 9/11. These attacks include Joseph Stack’s suicide attack on a Texas IRS building and Joshua Cartwright, who became enraged after the election of Barack Obama and “believed that the US Government was conspiring against him.”

KKK/NeoNazi/White Supremacist: There have been 27 plots by white supremacists since 9/11. These attacks include a 2004 letter bombing of the Arizona Office of Diversity and Dialogue that injured three employees.

Unknown/Miscellaneous: There were five attacks that federal crime officials did not categorize.

Christian Extremists/Anti-Abortion: There were three attacks by anti-abortion extremists and Christian extremists. The killing of abortion provider George Tiller is the most prominent of these attacks.

Black Supremacist Cults: There were two plots by black supremacist cults.

Jewish Extremists: There were two plots by Jewish extremists. The most prominent of these was a plot by Robert Goldstein to attack a local Islamic center with home made C4 and other explosives.

Extreme Anti-Immigrant: There were two plots by anti-immigrant extremists. One of these was the attack by Shawn Forde, who murdered a Queens deli clerk and was motivated by racist and anti-immigrant feelings.

Anti-Jewish: There was one plot by an anti-Semitic extremist. Norman Leboon made anti-Semitic threats against Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA).

Anarchist: There was a single plot by an anarchist. Joseph D. Konopka “wreaked havoc in 13 counties by setting fires, disrupting radio and television broadcasts, disabling an air traffic control system, selling counterfeit software, and damaging the computer system of an Internet service provider.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/09/king-muslims-plots-terrorists/

=============

So many terrorist attacks, so few Peter Kings. :(

DarrinS
03-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Considering the scale of 9/11 and subsequent wars, the degree of anti-Islamic activity, including violence within the US has been relatively small. A major reason, IMO, is that there are relatively few actual Muslims in the country. Most wouldn't know what to do if they met an actual Muslim. They'd probably be shocked to find out that they don't have six arms and don't bite.

You really think that violent crimes against Muslims in the US are exceedingly rare, just because there are so few of them?

Some were expecting a anti-Islamic backlash immediately after 9/11 and it never happened. I wonder why? According to you, they just couldn't find any.

boutons_deux
03-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I read there are 6M Muslims in UCA.

That's 3x BecKKK's current viewers.

ElNono
03-10-2011, 08:49 AM

These hearings are a self serving spectacle, especially given King's support of the IRA.

:lol

DarrinS
03-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Back in 2009, there was a Senate Homeland Security comittee hearing on US-Mexico border violence. It was titled "Southern Border Violence: Homeland Security Threats, Vulnerabilities and Responsibilities."

Didn't raise many eyebrows. Why weren't Mexican-Americans outraged? As many have pointed out, I'm probably more likely to be killed in my car today than get beheaded by some member of a Mexican drug cartel -- well, unless I go to Falcon Lake.

George Gervin's Afro
03-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Back in 2009, there was a Senate Homeland Security comittee hearing on US-Mexico border violence. It was titled "Southern Border Violence: Homeland Security Threats, Vulnerabilities and Responsibilities."

Didn't raise many eyebrows. Why weren't Mexican-Americans outraged? As many have pointed out, I'm probably more likely to be killed in my car today than get beheaded by some member of a Mexican drug cartel -- well, unless I go to Falcon Lake.

wow darrins missed the boat yet again..I'm shocked:rolleyes

hater
03-10-2011, 09:46 AM

dumb

DarrinS
03-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Are the hearings on Islam? or radical Islam?

DarrinS
03-10-2011, 10:43 AM
In 1995 they had hearings on "Militias in the US". No witch hunt.

George Gervin's Afro
03-10-2011, 10:53 AM
In 1995 they had hearings on "Militias in the US". No witch hunt.

Rep. Peter T. King, R-N.Y., told radio talk host Sean Hannity in an interview Monday no American Muslim leaders are cooperating in the war on terror.

"I would say, you could say that 80-85 percent of mosques in this country are controlled by Islamic fundamentalists," he said. "Those who are in control. The average Muslim, no, they are loyal, but they don't work, they don't come forward, they don't tell the police … ."

In the interview with Hannity, King criticized a mosque in Westbury, N.Y., which he accused of failing to adequately condemn terrorism.

Hannity asked King to confirm he was saying 85 percent of mosques in America are "ruled by the extremists."

"Yes," he replied, "and I can get you the documentation on that from experts in the field. Talk to a Steve Emerson, talk to a [Daniel] Pipes, talk to any of those. They will tell you. It's a real issue … . I'll stand by that number of 85 percent. This is an enemy living amongst us."

King said while most American Muslims are loyal to this country, "They won't turn in their own. They won't tell what's going on in the mosques. They won't come forward and cooperate with the police."

DarrinS
03-10-2011, 11:18 AM
GGA,

Do you have data that contradicts those statements?

George Gervin's Afro
03-10-2011, 11:21 AM
GGA,

Shouldn't the person/person who support the statements be the one to provide the data to back it up? I am calling on those who support those statements to back them up..

Or is this one of those " prove you don't have them' deals?

RandomGuy
03-10-2011, 01:17 PM
GGA,

Not his burden of proof.

The claim is that of the congressman, who is, almost certainly, pulling that figure out of his ass.

RandomGuy
03-10-2011, 01:20 PM
GGA,

"Darrin has sex with goats."

"Do you have data that contradicts that statement?"

"Well, no."

"See there you go, it is a perfectly reasonable statement."

:lmao

RandomGuy
03-10-2011, 01:22 PM
The average Muslim, no, they are loyal, but they don't work, they don't come forward, they don't tell the police … ."

GGA,

But back on point:

"It's perfectly legitimate to investigate radicalism," says Bruce Hoffman, a terrorism expert at Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service. "There has been an increase in people drawn to these movements, and there has been a rapidity to their radicalization — though their numbers remain infinitesimal."

For his part, Lieberman has noted an acceleration of domestic incidents: Of 46 cases of "attempted homegrown Islamist terrorism" in the U.S. between 2001 and December 2009, he says, 13 occurred in 2009.

But the "community dimension" of King's hearing — formally titled "The Extent of Radicalization in the American Muslim Community and that Community's Response" — makes Hoffman, and others, uncomfortable.

That aspect of the hearings, Hoffman says, "might not be warranted by the facts."

The facts may argue the opposite, suggests expert Christopher Hewitt, author of Understanding Terrorism in America.

Hewitt, who tracks domestic terrorism plots, says most of the people who have been caught "have been caught by people in the mosques dropping a dime."

"I'm not sure what King thinks his shtick is going to be — who's he beating up?" says Hewitt, who, like Hoffman, has no argument with the congressman's efforts to look at the "real danger from Islamic extremists."

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/10/134374186/king-hearings-revisit-radical-muslim-question

boutons_deux
03-10-2011, 01:23 PM
FACT CHECK: Peter King Incorrectly Claims There Were No Neo-Nazi Terror Plots In The Past Two Years

KING: There is no equivalency of threat between Al Qaeda and neo-Nazis, environmental extremists, and other isolated madmen. [...] Indeed, by the Justice Department’s own record, not one terror-related case in the last two years involved neo-Nazis, environmental extremists, or anti-war groups.

Justin Vieira, 29, of 101 Bogle St., also is accused of threatening neighbors with a rifle. [...] Vieira is charged with kidnapping, assault with a dangerous weapon, bomb threat, disturbing the peace while armed, assault and battery and resisting arrest. [...] Lt. David A. Gouveia said officers Jon Rose, James Donovan and Sgt. Roger Lafleur responded to the area of 101 Bogle St. at about 12:40 a.m. for a report of a man wearing camouflage clothing and waving a rifle. “The male was involved in a domestic incident with his girlfriend and was now threatening neighbors with the rifle,” Gouveia said. [...] “Vieira hung a Nazi flag out the window, started barricading the doors, shouted ‘Heil Hitler’ and turned off the lights,” Gouveia said.

Veiera’s threatened terror plot joins those by four other Neo-Nazis or Neo-Nazi sympathizers since September 2009.

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/10/peter-king-lies-nazi/

========

Repugs NEVER pass up a chance to LIE.

King comes from blue-collar district, the NY equivalent of TX's bubba districts. This hearing, 10 years after 9/11, is his vengeance on behalf of his district that lost and knew those who were lost on 9/11. King is pandering to hate and vengeance, and upping his rep as a badass.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Are the hearings on Islam? or radical Islam?It's about regular Muslims.

I want to know why you aren't coming forward and telling law enforcement everything we know you have to know about white supremacist and Christian terrorist plots, Darrin.

The nation demands an explanation.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Justin Vieira, 29, of 101 Bogle St., also is accused of threatening neighbors with a rifle. [...] Vieira is charged with kidnapping, assault with a dangerous weapon, bomb threat, disturbing the peace while armed, assault and battery and resisting arrest. [...] Lt. David A. Gouveia said officers Jon Rose, James Donovan and Sgt. Roger Lafleur responded to the area of 101 Bogle St. at about 12:40 a.m. for a report of a man wearing camouflage clothing and waving a rifle. “The male was involved in a domestic incident with his girlfriend and was now threatening neighbors with the rifle,” Gouveia said. [...] “Vieira hung a Nazi flag out the window, started barricading the doors, shouted ‘Heil Hitler’ and turned off the lights,” Gouveia said.

Veiera’s threatened terror plot joins those by four other Neo-Nazis or Neo-Nazi sympathizers since September 2009.And Darrin did nothing to warn us about any of them or bring the terrorists to justice.

It is clear Darrin hates America.

Stringer_Bell
03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
KING: There is no equivalency of threat between Al Qaeda and neo-Nazis, environmental extremists, and other isolated madmen.

He's right tho. We can spot neo-Nazis and crazy Liberals with ease, but those sneaky Islamofascists can be anywhere at any time. If we stop to ask them if they have a bomb in their satchel, that's called "racial profiling." It's a lose-lose situation for the security apparatus.

Also, neo-Nazis use guns and go after government targets and black people...known targets. Muslims want to kill everyone, everywhere, and use bombs (not just guns). Bigger threat? You tell me, Americaland!

FuzzyLumpkins
03-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Peter King born 1944 is a baby boomer.

DarrinS
03-10-2011, 04:34 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51005.html

Peter King's hearings are not the first. In fact, there have been 22 other hearings on radicalization of American Muslims in the last five years.

For chumpy's benefit, the title of this one is “The Extent of Radicalization in the American Muslim Community and that Community’s Response”.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2011, 06:26 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51005.html

Peter King's hearings are not the first. In fact, there have been 22 other hearings on radicalization of American Muslims in the last five years.

For chumpy's benefit, the title of this one is “The Extent of Radicalization in the American Muslim Community and that Community’s Response”.So it's about normal Muslims like I said.

You still have yet to answer why you don't snitch on the neo-nazis, Darrin. You should be hauled before Congress, traitor.

DarrinS
03-10-2011, 07:34 PM
So it's about normal Muslims like I said.

You still have yet to answer why you don't snitch on the neo-nazis, Darrin. You should be hauled before Congress, traitor.

I don't congregate with nazis.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't congregate with nazis.Perfunctory denials aren't going to help you, traitor.

Marcus Bryant
03-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Peter King's Secret Terrorism-Loving History (http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/peter-kings-secret-terrorism-loving-history)

Mr. King's support for the IRA was unequivocal. In 1982, for instance, he told a pro-IRA rally in Nassau County: "We must pledge ourselves to support those brave men and women who this very moment are carrying forth the struggle against British imperialism in the streets of Belfast and Derry."

ChumpDumper
03-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Peter King's Secret Terrorism-Loving History (http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/peter-kings-secret-terrorism-loving-history)Those are the good terrorists.

Marcus Bryant
03-10-2011, 07:48 PM
By the mid-1980s, the authorities on both sides of the Atlantic were openly hostile to Mr. King. On one occasion, a judge threw him out of a Belfast courtroom during the murder trial of IRA men because, in the judge's view, "he was an obvious collaborator with the IRA." When he attended other trials, the police singled him out for thorough body searches.

RandomGuy
03-11-2011, 10:12 AM
http://media.economist.com/images/images-magazine/2011/03/12/us/20110312_usd000.jpg

RandomGuy
03-11-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't congregate with nazis.

You have yet to denounce them, why is that? Do you sympathize with their cause?

RandomGuy
03-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Economist's take on the subject.

It is indeed hard to find much to like in Mr King. The representative for Long Island has approached this most sensitive of subjects with the delicacy of a steamroller, plus an overactive imagination and a generous dollop of prejudice. To be clear: he may not be prejudiced against America’s Muslims (the “overwhelming majority” are “outstanding Americans”, he says) but he long ago prejudged the question his own hearings are supposed to answer, being already firmly of the view that the country’s Muslims are doing too little to counter radicalisation within their ranks. He is the author of a novel, “Vale of Tears”, in which a heroic version of his thinly disguised self busts a home-grown al-Qaeda cell at a Long Island Islamic centre. His own attitude to terrorism, though, is conveniently elastic. In the 1980s this Irish-American Catholic sympathised strongly with the Irish Republican Army, going so far as to compare Gerry Adams, the leader of Sinn Fein, the terrorist group’s political wing, to George Washington.

Beyond these objections to his person, prejudices and past, most of the available evidence suggests that Mr King’s central thesis is overblown, if not flat wrong. Muslim co-operation with the authorities is not perfect, but by most accounts—including those of Robert Mueller, the director of the FBI, and Eric Holder, the attorney-general—the community has in general worked hard to expose terrorist plots in its midst. In one prominent case last year, for instance, five men from northern Virginia who had travelled to Pakistan in search of jihad were convicted after their families tipped off the FBI. The Triangle Centre on Terrorism and Homeland Security, a research group affiliated with Duke University and the University of North Carolina, reported recently that 48 of the 120 Muslims suspected of plotting terror attacks in America since the felling of the twin towers in 2001 were turned in by fellow Muslims.

DarrinS
03-11-2011, 11:01 AM
You have yet to denounce them, why is that? Do you sympathize with their cause?

If there was such a thing as moderate Nazis, and I was one of them, this question that you and ChumpDipshit keep bringing up might be valid.

DarrinS
03-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Bottom line, it's not the subject matter (there have been 22 other hearings on radicalization of American Muslims in the last five years), but WHO is holding them.

Winehole23
03-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Ok then. Who held the other 22 hearings and what did they say?

Winehole23
03-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Did they pull statistics from thin air like Peter King?

Winehole23
03-11-2011, 11:22 AM
(who is having the hearing can make a big, big difference wholly apart from political affiliation)

DarrinS
03-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Ok then. Who held the other 22 hearings and what did they say?

Exactly

Winehole23
03-11-2011, 12:07 PM
So you know dick-all too but thought it well to twit the rest of us for our ignorance.

Classic.

George Gervin's Afro
03-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Exactly

Did any of them claim that 85% of mosques were breeding grounds?

I am not sure if you stupid or just playing stupid but it's obvious to most rational people that King is the last person who should be holding these meetings. He is already on record as to how he feels bout muslim organizations..

so which is it darrins?

ChumpDumper
03-11-2011, 12:23 PM
If there was such a thing as moderate Nazis, and I was one of them, this question that you and ChumpDipshit keep bringing up might be valid.You proved exactly what a moderate Nazi is by not denouncing them and refusing to them in to the authorities.

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
King is providing an excellent example of how the GOP manages to start with an advantage of the natural conservatism of Americans and make itself unattractive.

DarrinS
03-11-2011, 01:09 PM
I love how a libnut from A-Mess-NBC starts off an interview...

"You and I are both white...", WTF?

He has a great response to her question that leaves her dumbfounded.

qtWYINzmiCU

ChumpDumper
03-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Whatever, Nazi traitor.

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 02:00 PM
The GOP goes from Mr. Republican, Robert Taft, opposing the internment of citizens of Japanese descent during wartime to Mr. King.

RandomGuy
03-11-2011, 02:03 PM
If there was such a thing as moderate Nazis, and I was one of them, this question that you and ChumpDipshit keep bringing up might be valid.

Yet this is still not refuting Nazis or Neo-Nazis.

Are you or are you not a member of the neo-nazi movement?

I can only conclude by your continued evasiveness that you have something to hide.

RandomGuy
03-11-2011, 02:04 PM
The average Muslim, no, they are loyal, but they don't work, they don't come forward, they don't tell the police … ."

GGA,

But back on point:

"It's perfectly legitimate to investigate radicalism," says Bruce Hoffman, a terrorism expert at Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service. "There has been an increase in people drawn to these movements, and there has been a rapidity to their radicalization — though their numbers remain infinitesimal."

For his part, Lieberman has noted an acceleration of domestic incidents: Of 46 cases of "attempted homegrown Islamist terrorism" in the U.S. between 2001 and December 2009, he says, 13 occurred in 2009.

But the "community dimension" of King's hearing — formally titled "The Extent of Radicalization in the American Muslim Community and that Community's Response" — makes Hoffman, and others, uncomfortable.

That aspect of the hearings, Hoffman says, "might not be warranted by the facts."

The facts may argue the opposite, suggests expert Christopher Hewitt, author of Understanding Terrorism in America.

Hewitt, who tracks domestic terrorism plots, says most of the people who have been caught "have been caught by people in the mosques dropping a dime."

"I'm not sure what King thinks his shtick is going to be — who's he beating up?" says Hewitt, who, like Hoffman, has no argument with the congressman's efforts to look at the "real danger from Islamic extremists."

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/10/134374186/king-hearings-revisit-radical-muslim-question

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 02:11 PM
King is obviously playing to his constituent's fears in his red-state, rural, Southern district.

Spawn
03-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Yet this is still not refuting Nazis or Neo-Nazis.

Are you or are you not a member of the neo-nazi movement?

I can only conclude by your continued evasiveness that you have something to hide.

Where are the moderate white people at?

DarrinS
03-11-2011, 03:56 PM
The GOP goes from Mr. Republican, Robert Taft, opposing the internment of citizens of Japanese descent during wartime to Mr. King.

Is King advocating the internment of Muslim-Americans?

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 04:02 PM
No. He's just advocating stirring up prejudice to benefit himself.

Not to mention that here we are, almost ten years after 9-11, and we're still searching for the Islamic bogeyman.

RandomGuy
03-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Is King advocating the internment of Muslim-Americans?

But many neo-nazi's are advocating that and worse.

The fact that conservatives in this country 85% won't condemn the neo-nazi movement when they advocate gassing muslims, jews, and "darkies" says volumes.

Frankly, I don't think you do enough to disavow such criminal, terroristic behavior.

Since you can't deny that you are a neo-nazi, I can only conclude that if you knew about some neo-nazi plot you would not bother telling the police.

That seems to be a direct threat to our security, quite frankly.

DarrinS
03-11-2011, 04:09 PM

Not to mention that here we are, almost ten years after 9-11, and we're still searching for the Islamic bogeyman.

Where was all of this outrage during the last 22 hearings on radical islam in the past 5 years?

DarrinS
03-11-2011, 04:16 PM

Perhaps.

People that listen to the chatter may disagree with you.

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Fear the chatter. Spend 25% of the federal budget, 5% of GDP, and abridge civil liberties and give rent a cops at the airport the green light to stick their hand in your crotch because of the chatter.

DarrinS
03-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Fear the chatter. Spend 25% of the federal budget, 5% of GDP, and abridge civil liberties and give rent a cops at the airport the green light to stick their hand in your crotch because of the chatter.

Just because our strategy borders on incompetence doesn't mean the threats aren't real.

RandomGuy
03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Where was all of this outrage during the last 22 hearings on radical islam in the past 5 years?

Where was all your outrage when neo-nazis are beating people to death, and killing people in robberies to finance weapons purchases?

Do you know of any of those plots? Would you admit it even if you did?

Please answer the question for the committee.

DarrinS
03-11-2011, 05:24 PM
And this years' academy award for best actor goes to......

Keith Ellison at the 13:00 mark.

GHMuCByalTo

RandomGuy
03-11-2011, 05:35 PM

Perhaps because those other hearings weren't obviously ideologically driven bullshit by people who have obviously made up their minds long before hand?

Might they have *gasp* actually been to simply find out information, rather than make a slilted point?

:dramaquee

Do you have any data that contradicts those statements?

RandomGuy
03-11-2011, 05:37 PM

The average Muslim, no, they are loyal, but they don't work, they don't come forward, they don't tell the police … ." The facts may argue the opposite, suggests expert Christopher Hewitt, author of Understanding Terrorism in America.

ChumpDumper
03-11-2011, 07:05 PM
And this years' academy award for best actor goes to......

Keith Ellison at the 13:00 mark.

GHMuCByalToHe's a Muslim, so you think he wants to kill you.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Bill Maher is probably the last person I would side with on anything, but........
mVTK_XffAvk