PDA

View Full Version : interesting stats about team efficiency in clutch situations

stretch
03-09-2011, 01:46 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/357ndoo.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/35aqglz.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/1255kc0.jpg

good lord i didnt realize how awful Chicago actually was late in close games, while the Mavs and Magic blow all other teams away in such situations.

stretch
03-09-2011, 01:47 PM
and in case someone is nerding around, yes, i got these stats from another forum (dallas-mavs.com), thought they would be of interest, and posted them here.

eat fuck

tlongII
03-09-2011, 01:49 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/357ndoo.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/35aqglz.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/1255kc0.jpg

good lord i didnt realize how awful Chicago actually was late in close games, while the Mavs and Magic blow all other teams away in such situations.

Chicago wins with defense. They have the best defensive team in the league. I'm surprised at how good the Blazers look.

stretch
03-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Chicago wins with defense. They have the best defensive team in the league. I'm surprised at how good the Blazers look.

their defense sucks ass in the clutch according to these stats.

in these, you want offensive efficiency to be a high number, and defensive efficiency to be a low number. i think people are misunderstanding them.

stretch
03-09-2011, 01:59 PM
i believe they are measured in points scored per 48 minutes of clutch time, and points allowed per 48 minutes of clutch time

Greg Oden
03-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Chicago and Dallas both don't have many great offensive options that can create in the late game situations. Which is even more credit to how fuckin great Dirk is :cry

midnightpulp
03-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Not surprised Dallas is so good. Dirk is the best late game player in the league.

monosylab1k
03-09-2011, 02:03 PM
can't be right, we can't get a stop in crunch time.

are you fuckin retarded? The Mavs get tons of stops in crunch time this year.

They can't get a stop when they're up 20 in the 3rd quarter, and constantly let teams back into the game. Then in crunch time they get the stops they need.

Greg Oden
03-09-2011, 02:05 PM
:cry

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1119/dal_a_nowitzki_324.jpg

midnightpulp
03-09-2011, 02:07 PM
And the Lakers are middle of the pack offensively. Not surprised at that, either. Anyone who's followed the "Mamba's" clutch time stats on 82games.com over the past few years wouldn't be.

:cry But he's the best closer in the league.

stretch
03-09-2011, 02:11 PM
can't be right, we can't get a stop in crunch time. i think you've got it backwards

no because if you pull up ratings for the entire league, that would mean Washington, Minny, and Detroit are the three best defensive teams in the clutch. No way thats correct.

i think Mavs fans just think that because at times the Mavs have trouble blowing leads or getting late stops, that no other teams have them, but actually the Spurs statistically are just as bad about blowing leads and getting late stops.

also, these ratings I pulled up were for the elite teams when facing each other. The Mavs ratings here SIGNIFICANTLY change when its rated against the entire league, thus showing proof that they have an issue of simply playing down to bad competition, while stepping it up quite a bit when playing elite teams. Some of that also has to do with minutes management, because the Mavs play their starters significantly less against shit teams, while they play more against elite teams (and will definitely be playing more in the playoffs). Don't take for granted the fact that Dirk and Marion are averaging the 2nd least minutes per game for their careers, Kidd is averaging his lowest ever, Chandler is averaging 5-8 less than he did during his healthy New Orleans years, and Terry is having one of his lower MPG averages as well. These are likely going to be the 5 on the floor the most, especially when closing games.

midnightpulp
03-09-2011, 02:12 PM
people confuse having a big enough ego/confidence to take a lot of last minute shots and hit some/miss more with actually hitting clutch time shots at a high rate.

"Hey, Lakerfan. Did you know Kobe shoots 28% on game winners?"

"So! He has the confidence to take them!"

stretch
03-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Not surprised Dallas is so good. Dirk is the best late game player in the league.

This year especially, I cant think of anyone else who seems to raise the level of his teams play in crunchtime games than Dirk. He is without question having the best season of his career. It's amazing to think that he is arguably a significantly better basketball player now, than he was during his MVP or Finals seasons.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-09-2011, 02:13 PM
These things don't hold up in the playoffs and are rendered useless.

But don't let that reality interfere with the celebration of stats from fanboys with no perspective on the game...

stretch
03-09-2011, 02:14 PM
maybe its the PTSD making me a nervous wreck during crunch time but it seems like we can't ever box out or get a stop

I think its just been the last two games where it really seemed that way, but Memphis was just getting all kinds of bullshit shots to fall and rebounds falling right in their laps, and against Minny, as soon as Dirk went back in the game, the Mavs pounded the shit out of them on both ends.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-09-2011, 02:14 PM
:lol @ 82games.com

j.dizzle
03-09-2011, 02:15 PM
:lol Dallas
:lol Orlando
:lol Playoffs

midnightpulp

stretch
are you fuckin retarded? The Mavs get tons of stops in crunch time this year.

They can't get a stop when they're up 20 in the 3rd quarter, and constantly let teams back into the game. Then in crunch time they get the stops they need.

pretty much sums it up.

Greg Oden
03-09-2011, 02:17 PM
This year especially, I cant think of anyone else who seems to raise the level of his teams play in crunchtime games than Dirk. He is without question having the best season of his career. It's amazing to think that he is arguably a significantly better basketball player now, than he was during his MVP or Finals seasons.

I get what you're saying but that would be a little more easier to believe if he wasn't averaging six and a half rebs.

stretch
03-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Chicago and Dallas both don't have many great offensive options that can create in the late game situations. Which is even more credit to how fuckin great Dirk is :cry

Chicago's offense pretty much is everyone stands around and watches Rose, kinda what Dallas has done the past couple years with Dirk. This year though, their offense has significantly more motion and plays that help get the ball in the paint to draw defenses out of their comfort zone and get higher percentage shots for all the role players. Dallas may not have a great #2 option, but they have a number of guys who still find ways to score points through this system. It has definitely helped in taking pressure off of Dirk, and is a big reason why he has been so ridiculously efficient this season.

One of the biggest reasons they are able to do this now is because they actually have a pair of centers who are at least competent offensively.

stretch
03-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Just gotta hope that the combo of Roddy/Terry can consistently produce points. The Mavs go as far as these guys take them.

DPG21920
03-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Dirk is a great player, but he literally does nothing but score. His rebounding and defense have regressed significantly. Spurs (by these stats) are very solid on both ends. Although they don't match the top 2 in offense they look to be #3 there and are better defensively than the top 2 offensive teams.

stretch
03-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Dirk is a great player, but he literally does nothing but score. His rebounding and defense have regressed significantly. Spurs (by these stats) are very solid on both ends. Although they don't match the top 2 in offense they look to be #3 there and are better defensively than the top 2 offensive teams.

lol bosh > amare

you have zero credibility for the rest of your posting days my nigga

stretch
03-09-2011, 03:04 PM

and according to these stats, they are better both offensively and defensively than the spurs

you fucking fail

lol getting teabagged by BUMP in basketball

badfish22
03-09-2011, 03:10 PM
lol defense regressed significantly.

His rebounding has been pretty bad though.

jjktkk
03-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Intersting stats. It will really be interesting how those stats will change after after say the 1st round of the playoffs are complete.

badfish22
03-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Saw this list too:

TS % from all players scoring 20 PPG+
1. Nowitzki 62.5 %
2. Howard 61.8 %
3. Martin 60.8 %
4. Love 59.6 %
5. Durant 58.7 %
6. Gordon 58.4 %
7. James 58.3 %
8. Williams 57.7 %
9. Wade 57.4 %
10. Amare 57.4 %
11. Granger 55.8 %
12. Bryant 55.4 %
13. Griffen 55.2 %
14. Aldridge 54.9 %
15. Anthony 54.7 %
16. Westbrook 53.9 %
17. Randolph 53.9 %
18 Ellis 53.5 %
19 Rose 53.5 %
20. Bargani 53.4 %

Beau
03-09-2011, 04:25 PM
So according to these stats, Dallas is the worst defensive team in every category?

Beau
03-09-2011, 04:27 PM
lol bosh > amare

you have zero credibility for the rest of your posting days my nigga

Bosh should be better than Amar'e, the difference is between the ears and legs...

stretch
03-09-2011, 04:33 PM
So according to these stats, Dallas is the worst defensive team in every category?

incorrect. learn to read a fucking graph, dumbshit.

Beau
03-09-2011, 04:42 PM
incorrect. learn to read a fucking graph, dumbshit.

I trying to learn, asshole. I asked a question. SMGDH

They're either the worst or best by these graphics. If it's fewest points per possession in clutch time, than having the smallest red bar would mean Dallas is the best. But I didn't know what the ratings were based on or where the graph originated.

Edit: 5th against the Top-8.

alchemist
03-09-2011, 04:47 PM
so, no excuses?

Cry Havoc
03-09-2011, 04:57 PM
no because if you pull up ratings for the entire league, that would mean Washington, Minny, and Detroit are the three best defensive teams in the clutch. No way thats correct.

So the Bulls have the worst playoff defense in the league? Uhhh.....

stretch
03-09-2011, 05:09 PM
I trying to learn, asshole. I asked a question. SMGDH

They're either the worst or best by these graphics. If it's fewest points per possession in clutch time, than having the smallest red bar would mean Dallas is the best. But I didn't know what the ratings were based on or where the graph originated.

Edit: 5th against the Top-8.

Maybe if you read the fucking thread, you would have seen exactly what they meant, you goddamn retard.

LnGrrrR
03-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Maybe if you read the fucking thread, you would have seen exactly what they meant, you goddamn retard.

:lol

stretch
03-09-2011, 05:12 PM
So the Bulls have the worst playoff defense in the league? Uhhh.....

Likely a lot of it has to do with how crappy their offense is outside of Rose. Rose still pretty much has one trick, and thats driving and finishing. That can be taken away when needed, and suddenly he has no jumper to fall on, and his teammates are pretty much useless on offense. Also if I recall, they have one of the worst turnover rates in "crunch time" situations, so that likely leads to a lot of easy buckets for the opposing team.

stretch
03-09-2011, 05:16 PM
so, no excuses?

Personally, and other Mavs fans may not agree with me, I feel that the only team that it would be somewhat acceptable for the Mavs to lose to in the West is the Lakers (barring anymore major injuries). If they lose to any other team (Spurs included), it would be completely unacceptable to me.

tlongII
03-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Personally, and other Mavs fans may not agree with me, I feel that the only team that it would be somewhat acceptable for the Mavs to lose to in the West is the Lakers (barring anymore major injuries). If they lose to any other team (Spurs included), it would be completely unacceptable to me.

So you're going to kill yourself?

stretch
03-09-2011, 05:26 PM
So you're going to kill yourself?

yes

Beau
03-09-2011, 05:46 PM

tl;dr

stretch
03-09-2011, 06:19 PM
im a stupidshit

Beau
03-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm not very courteous or considerate. I'm actually quite rude.