dSmR8-KMIw0

This didn't help:

fltlnt4j35k

Bartleby
03-09-2011, 10:33 PM
:corn:

Yonivore
03-09-2011, 10:37 PM
I hear O'Keefe has hidden video of the type of meeting with PBS officials.

Nbadan
03-09-2011, 10:38 PM
heavily edited no doubt....

Yonivore
03-09-2011, 10:50 PM
heavily edited no doubt....
That was the charge on the NPR tape so, O'Keefe posted the entire 2 hour video -- unedited -- on the Project Veritas website.

Go take a look (http://www.theprojectveritas.org/).

They aren't CBS.

Nbadan
03-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Seen it.....Schiller exposes the tea-party for what it is....a bunch of xenophobic hate-mongers.....the really funny part is wing-nut's reaction to Schiller.....

Yonivore
03-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Seen it.....Schiller exposes the tea-party for what it is....a bunch of xenophobic hate-mongers.....the really funny part is wing-nut's reaction to Schiller.....
So, you undermine your own "heavily edited no doubt..." comment but still advance it anyway?

Actually, the funny part is NPR's reaction to Schiller. Unemployment.

Nbadan
03-09-2011, 11:34 PM
I hear O'Keefe has hidden video of the type of meeting with PBS officials.

Do you ever read anything but wing=nut news?

James O'Keefe's race problem
A photo of the righty stuntman at a white-nationalist confab illustrates a career marked by racial resentment

Now an activist organization that monitors hate groups has produced a photo of O'Keefe at a 2006 conference on "Race and Conservatism" that featured leading white nationalists. The photo, first published Jan. 30 on the Web site of the anti-racism group One People's Project, shows O’Keefe at the gathering, which was so controversial even the ultra-right Leadership Institute, which employed O'Keefe at the time, withdrew its backing. O'Keefe's fellow young conservative provocateur Marcus Epstein organized the event, which gave anti-Semites, professional racists and proponents of Aryanism an opportunity to share their grievances and plans to make inroads in the GOP.

Salon (http://www.salon.com/news/james_okeefe/index.html?story=/news/feature/2010/02/03/james_okeefe_white_nationalists)

Why is Yoni pimping edited videos from known racists?

Yonivore
03-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Why is Yoni pimping edited videos from known racists?
Uh, the video has been posted unedited and, whatever O'Keefe's past (of which I have no knowledge and am not about to take Salon's word on) I think NPR's lack of defense for Schiller speaks volumes.

Keep trying to shift the conversation, Dan.

Yonivore
03-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Since we're on the topic of media transparency, it seems the rest of the legacy media could learn a thing or two from O'Keefe...

We Call On the MSM to Adopt the ‘Rose/O’Keefe Standard of Journalistic Transparency’ (http://bigjournalism.com/jjmnolte/2011/03/09/we-call-on-the-msm-to-adopt-the-james-okeefe-standard-of-journalistic-excellence/)

With their most recent undercover video investigations, independent journalists James O'Keefe and Lila Rose have set a new standard of transparency in the field of journalism -- a standard I call on all media outlets -- print, online, and broadcast -- to adopt and to institute immediately. Within hours of releasing what the AP called "heavily edited" video footage of a high-powered NPR executive's troubling statements with respect to the Tea Party, conservatives, and Jewish control of the media, Mr. O'Keefe then released to the public the full, unedited two-hour video of the entire conversation. Another New Media pioneer, Lila Rose, also released the full video of her undercover investigation of Planned Parenthood.

While the biased AP apparently only whips out the term "heavily edited" when the institutional left is under fire, it's difficult to disagree with them on principle, especially when we live in a world where on a daily basis the network nightly news programs, Jon Stewart's "Daily Show," MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, and every facet of the MSM broadcast and publishing world release reports no less "heavily edited" than Rosa and O'Keefe's initial video releasse. However, unlike Rose and O'Keefe, the mainstream media never allows the public to view the full, unedited material in order to judge the full context for ourselves.
This can and must end today. ...

Because Mr. O'Keefe and Ms. Rose have led the way in journalistic transparency and taken the first step, as a show of good faith from the MSM in accepting this offer, we call on Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric to release every frame of video involving their 2008 interviews with then Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin.

It won't happen but, that it doesn't only erodes the mainstream media's credibility more and more...

balli
03-09-2011, 11:45 PM
There are a lot of things these so called conservatives do that they deserve to rot in hell for. Least of which include going after PBS and NPR.

I'm sorry you sheep fucking FOX News addicts can't deal with actual reporting or reality. You bags of feces won't dodge your eventual come-uppins. And good luck anyway. Neither network needs their hands tied by the pennies we each give them each year. So be careful what you wish for.

http://i.imgur.com/RWfN2.jpg

Yonivore
03-09-2011, 11:47 PM
There are a lot of things these so called conservatives do that they deserve to rot in hell for. Least of which include going after PBS and NPR.

I'm sorry you sheep fucking FOX News addicts can't deal with actual reporting or reality. You bags of feces won't dodge your eventual come-uppins.

So, at a dollar and three cents per American, I'm sure you can band together a bunch of like-minded individuals and make up for the federal funding I hope is yanked from NPR and PBS.

balli
03-09-2011, 11:48 PM
So, at a dollar and three cents per American, I'm sure you can band together a bunch of like-minded individuals and make up for the federal funding I hope is yanked from NPR and PBS.
I hope you rot in hell for being excrement. You will. And,

Neither network needs their hands tied by the pennies we each give them each year. So be careful what you wish for.

Yonivore
03-09-2011, 11:51 PM
I hope you rot in hell for being excrement. You will. And,
Some of that "new civility?"

Neither network needs their hands tied by the pennies we each give them each year. So be careful what you wish for.
Yeah, I understood that NPR idiot saying they didn't need the $90 Million either. I am careful and I do wish we'd yank federal funding for public broadcasting. Let it survive on your money, not mine.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-09-2011, 11:54 PM
pimping edited videos from known racists?

Go take a look (http://www.theprojectveritas.org/).
pssssssssst. you're supposed to click "Go take a look". Not here but ^^^^^^ up there where it says "Go take a look". PM me if you need any further instructions

Spurminator
03-09-2011, 11:55 PM
NPR and PBS would be fine, financially, without Government funding.

The unfortunate thing is that without that funding, they will no longer have incentive to remain relatively politically centrist and will likely gravitate closer to being the far-left liberal bastions that conservatives who don't watch or listen to NPR/PBS are told to believe they are.

But the "marketplace" has spoken, I suppose, and we like our news to soothe our personal bias.

Spurminator
03-09-2011, 11:55 PM
dupe

Yonivore
03-10-2011, 12:04 AM

The unfortunate thing is that without that funding, they will no longer have incentive to remain relatively politically centrist and will likely gravitate closer to being the far-left liberal bastions that conservatives who don't watch or listen to NPR/PBS are told to believe they are.

But the "marketplace" has spoken, I suppose, and we like our news to soothe our personal bias.
Without my money, they can be whatever they want. I don't consume their product now -- even though I pay for the programming.

balli
03-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Without my money, they can be whatever they want. I don't consume their product now -- even though I pay for the programming.

That's because you're an idiot and a piece of shit who prefers the snake oil of Fox Propaganda Co. Hardly means your loser ass shouldn't be paying to keep better people than yourself entertained and truly informed. It might be, probably is, the only good thing you do for this world.

Spurminator
03-10-2011, 12:14 AM

You directly benefit from a reasonable, intellectual and educated public, however dwindling that part of the population may be.

baseline bum
03-10-2011, 12:15 AM
I just hope PBS doesn't sell out and become a piece of shit reality-show network like Discovery and The Learning Channel have become. That would leave the BBC as the only worthwhile network in the English-speaking world.

Nbadan
03-10-2011, 12:20 AM
....NPR is under attack because it hasn't conformed to wing-nut expectations.....(intimidation)..... the way the corporate M$M has...so it must be destroyed...

Nbadan
03-10-2011, 12:21 AM
I just hope PBS doesn't sell out and become a piece of shit reality-show network like Discovery and The Learning Channel have become. That would leave the BBC as the only worthwhile network in the English-speaking world.

Seen the History Channel lately? It might as well be edited by James OKeefe

U N W A T C H A B L E

Yonivore
03-10-2011, 12:31 AM
....NPR is under attack because it hasn't conformed to wing-nut expectations.....(intimidation)..... the way the corporate M$M has...so it must be destroyed...
I'd settle for de-funded; I'm sure they can handle their own destruction.

Yonivore
03-10-2011, 12:32 AM
You directly benefit from a reasonable, intellectual and educated public, however dwindling that part of the population may be.
So, we can close the schools and just watch PBS?

Besides, if they serve that great a purpose, I'm sure there are private citizens that will be glad to make up for the lost federal funding.

Say! Why don't you pledge to pay my portion.

Capt Bringdown
03-10-2011, 12:33 AM

Why don't US cable viewers get better access to International news sources?
In Thailand, I get:
Al Jazeera English
CNN
BBC World
Fox (LOL)
Deutsche-Welle World (daily news and other programming in English)
NHK-World (Japan) almost 100% programming in English
Arirang (Korea) Rougly 80% news and programming in English
TVMonde (France) daily News in English

Al Jazeera is outstanding, followed by NHK-World IMO.

Yonivore
03-10-2011, 12:33 AM
That's because you're an idiot and a piece of shit who prefers the snake oil of Fox Propaganda Co. Hardly means your loser ass shouldn't be paying to keep better people than yourself entertained and truly informed. It might be, probably is, the only good thing you do for this world.
:lmao

Spurminator
03-10-2011, 12:43 AM
So, we can close the schools and just watch PBS?

Besides, if they serve that great a purpose, I'm sure there are private citizens that will be glad to make up for the lost federal funding.

Say! Why don't you pledge to pay my portion.

I've already said they will be fine without federal funding and I'm sure I already donate enough for your share and many others'.

That said, I think the governments of developed countries should allocate some portion of their budgets towards sources of art and information for its people, and I think we could probably build a few less tanks and guns in order to free up those funds.

P.S. You forgot the question mark at the end. Clearly you didn't watch enough Sesame Street as a child.

Stringer_Bell
03-10-2011, 02:08 AM
I've probably listened to more Rush/Hannity shows than anything on NPR, it's waste as far as I can tell. I do love PBS tho (Rich Steves' Europe and the cooking shows are great), but I'm glad that bitch at NPR got canned - bummer she didn't leave when she shit-canned Juan Williams.

Actually, if PBS wants to keep its funding they need to bring back "Where in the world is Carmen San Diego" and "Wishbone" (with the original cast). DO IT MOTHERFUCKERS!

George Gervin's Afro
03-10-2011, 10:05 AM
So we have conservatives supporting a liar in O'keefe..yet they criticize dems and Obama for lying..

mmm k

cheguevara
03-10-2011, 10:11 AM
I was involved with PBS in the past. They have adequate infrastructure and they knew this was coming for the last 10 years+.

I'm not sure if they have a backup plan but if they smart, they do.

jacobdrj
03-10-2011, 10:23 AM
I don't understand the controversy here. I read a couple of articles on this, neither made sense to me. I watched the video, hoping that it would shed light on the situation, and the video didn't help either.

Why did the CEO of NPR step down?

All I know from reading 2 articles and watching that video is:

There is an executive at NPR named Vivian Schiller. She has stepped down.

There is a guy named O'Keefe who videoed some guy named Ron Schiller. Apparently he said something that got Vivian (no relation) to step down.

Ron apparently doesn't want money from the government. This is somehow bad.

Can someone PLEASE connect the dots for me.

Wild Cobra
03-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Let the marketplace speak.

Marcus Bryant
03-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Any outlet that holds out Bill Moyers as some kind of reasonable journalist is a fraud.

Marcus Bryant
03-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Further, if PBS and NPR are that popular then their management should have no problem operating without federal funding. Gone are the days when the government was expected to provide need to have services rather than nice to have services for upper middle class audiences, I suppose.

ManuBalboa
03-10-2011, 12:05 PM

I'm sorry you sheep fucking FOX News addicts can't deal with actual reporting or reality. You bags of feces won't dodge your eventual come-uppins. And good luck anyway. Neither network needs their hands tied by the pennies we each give them each year. So be careful what you wish for.

tmfd;dr

Too much fucking debt; did not read.

Stringer_Bell
03-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Let the marketplace speak.

I don't think NPR would be successful in a normalized market. Old white people only listen to radio, whereas educated/cultured inviduals watch television...so advertisers have no incentive to put money into NPR's anti-gun, anti-racist, anti-tax cut agenda.

Actually, letting the market speak isn't such a bad idea, buddy!

LnGrrrR
03-10-2011, 12:46 PM
dSmR8-KMIw0

This didn't help:

fltlnt4j35k

I thought you were against being PC? He's just saying what he thinks. Why do you hate liberty/freedom?

Wild Cobra
03-10-2011, 02:08 PM
I thought you were against being PC? He's just saying what he thinks. Why do you hate liberty/freedom?
I don't care if he says what he thinks. Just do it at a job that doesn't use tax payer dollars, else be fair and equal.

We conservatives are fed up with NPR's left leaning.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2011, 02:42 PM
I don't care if he says what he thinks. Just do it at a job that doesn't use tax payer dollars, else be fair and equal.

We conservatives are fed up with NPR's left leaning.:lol

Examples, please.

CosmicCowboy
03-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Is public radio even relevant anymore with the availability of the internet?

ChumpDumper
03-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Is public radio even relevant anymore with the availability of the internet?Is talk radio?

CosmicCowboy
03-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Is talk radio?

Sure, when they support themselves by selling ads. You don't like them, you change the channel.

CosmicCowboy
03-10-2011, 02:49 PM
So whose interests do NPR serve?

ChumpDumper
03-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Sure, when they support themselves by selling ads. You don't like them, you change the channel.I think NPR could do the same.

So whose interests do NPR serve?Those who listen to it.

I'm not against dropping the funding. It would be worth having conservatives finally stop whining about it. As it is, it's just another distraction from real problems.

Marcus Bryant
03-10-2011, 07:25 PM
The middle class doesn't want its taxes to increase nor its entitlement payments to be reduced, so we have NPR, PBS, and foreign aid to fall under the budget axe such that politicians can be seen as fiscally conservative.

We could make some headway on the deficit by taking a look at the Pentagon's budget, but we have a hysteria to defend ourselves from.

Yonivore
03-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Project Veritas: NPR Planned to Accept Donation from Muslim Brotherhood Front Group and Hide Origins From Government (http://biggovernment.com/publius/2011/03/10/project-veritas-npr-planned-to-accept-donation-from-muslim-brotherhood-front-group-and-hide-origins-from-government/)

It never really was about what the NPR executives said at the cafe -- bad as it was -- but, instead, about who they were willing to meet with, what they were willing to accept from a terrorist-related group, and how they were willing to hide that fact.

P64rmpnT32U

Yonivore
03-10-2011, 08:28 PM
The middle class doesn't want its taxes to increase nor its entitlement payments to be reduced, so we have NPR, PBS, and foreign aid to fall under the budget axe such that politicians can be seen as fiscally conservative.

We could make some headway on the deficit by taking a look at the Pentagon's budget, but we have a hysteria to defend ourselves from.
The only way to get back to fiscal sanity is to cut entitlements. Period.

Spurminator
03-10-2011, 08:30 PM
biggovernment.com :lol

Yonivore
03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
biggovernment.com :lol
Are you claiming the tapes are fabricated?

NPR :lmao

Spurminator
03-10-2011, 08:42 PM
It's an amusing site name that clearly panders to dumb people. I don't have an opinion on the tapes. Didn't watch them.

Yonivore
03-10-2011, 08:57 PM
It's an amusing site name that clearly panders to dumb people. I don't have an opinion on the tapes. Didn't watch them.
So, you choose to remain dumb so you can maintain your opinion of the source. Got it.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2011, 09:00 PM
lol secret Muslim public radio

ChumpDumper
03-10-2011, 09:00 PM
lol "veritas"

Marcus Bryant
03-10-2011, 10:10 PM
The only way to get back to fiscal sanity is to cut entitlements. Period.

The last time the GOP had a majority in the Congress and the presidency, it pushed through the largest entitlement program increase since the 60s.

So we have .0000098% of the federal budget under the axe now.

Big Bird, welfare queen.

Or, Democrats, defenders of channel 9.

:jack

Yonivore
03-10-2011, 10:59 PM
It's the entitlements...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/DonaldDouglas/defense-entitlement-spending-600.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/DonaldDouglas/US_Federal_Spending_-_FY_2007-1.png

Spurminator
03-10-2011, 11:10 PM
So, you choose to remain dumb so you can maintain your opinion of the source. Got it.

The source has had no bearing on my choice not to watch the tapes. I have heard, via non-pandering news sources, what is on the tapes and the consequences that came out of their release, and I feel sufficiently informed on the matter.

You read and proudly link to a site called BigGovernment.com. I find this amusing.

Yonivore
03-10-2011, 11:16 PM
The source has had no bearing on my choice not to watch the tapes. I have heard, via non-pandering news sources, what is on the tapes and the consequences that came out of their release, and I feel sufficiently informed on the matter.

You read and proudly link to a site called BigGovernment.com. I find this amusing.
Okay.

So, do you believe NPR should be de-funded?

Spurminator
03-10-2011, 11:30 PM
No, I don't. The idea of public broadcast media has merit as a freely and easily accessed medium of news, information and continuing education. It is a relative drop in the bucket but is something I feel a developed nation should have.

I think people who are unable to work at NPR/PBS and carry themselves in reasonable and non-partisan manner have failed in their obligation to the public and should be fired.

Marcus Bryant
03-10-2011, 11:34 PM
It's the entitlements...

At 23% of the budget, with a substantial increase since 2000 it is most certainly a significant cause.

Spurminator
03-10-2011, 11:36 PM
No, I don't. The idea of public broadcast media has merit as a freely and easily accessed medium of news, information and continuing education. It is a relative drop in the bucket but is something I feel a developed nation should have.

I think people who are unable to work at NPR/PBS and carry themselves in reasonable and non-partisan manner have failed in their obligation to the public and should be fired.

I'll add that I really don't care all that much. If pressed for an opinion on the matter, I'd like to see it funded, but there are a lot of things more deserving of my concern.

Marcus Bryant
03-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Bump up the payroll tax, push back the retirement age a few years, and be done with it. Naturally, the tax increase would mean the imposition of socialism and the increase in retirement age would mean the ascent of fascism.

Yonivore
03-10-2011, 11:47 PM

People at the highest level of the organization were willing to entertain the idea of accepting and hiding donations from a terrorist front organization.

These weren't people in the mail room.

But, at least I know where you stand.

Spurminator
03-10-2011, 11:52 PM
People at the highest level of the organization were willing to entertain the idea of accepting and hiding donations from a terrorist front organization.

These weren't people in the mail room.

But, at least I know where you stand.

Yes, you asked where I stand on NPR's funding. I take it your point here is that these people failed in their responsibility to the public and should be fired, as I suggested in my post.

Glad we could agree. Good talk.

Yonivore
03-10-2011, 11:52 PM
At 23% of the budget, with a substantial increase since 2000 it is most certainly a significant cause.
If it were a significant cause, it would have been a significant cause back in the 70's. It wasn't.

The facts are that Defense spending has fallen while entitlement spending has grown out of control.

35% of Americans get their wages from the federal government, (http://www.cnbc.com/id/41969508/Welfare_State_Handouts_Make_Up_One_Third_of_U_S_Wa ges) in the form of welfare and other handouts...and, that's not counting federal employees. There's something wrong with that.

Yonivore
03-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Yes, you asked where I stand on NPR's funding. I take it your point here is that these people failed in their responsibility to the public and should be fired, as I suggested in my post.

Glad we could agree. Good talk.
I don't think the behavior stops at the Schillers or with Lively. I think the entire public broadcasting system should have its funding yanked and its tax exempt status lifted.

Fuck'em.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2011, 11:55 PM
lol simon templar

Spurminator
03-10-2011, 11:57 PM
I don't think the behavior stops at the Schillers or with Lively. I think the entire public broadcasting system should have its funding yanked and its tax exempt status lifted.

Fuck'em.

Do you believe this behavior is an inherent inevitability of the concept of a public broadcasting service?

Yonivore
03-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Do you believe this behavior is an inherent inevitability of the concept of a public broadcasting service?
I don't know but, it appears to be in the one we have.

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Back in the 70s we faced nuclear annihilation as a real threat to national security. Now we engage in conjecture about vague threats from a primitive band of 3rd world goat herders and spend as much as back then as a % of GDP on the military.

Further, we outspend the rest of the world, combined, on the military.

Also, when I see all these 'conservative' baby boomers voluntarily giving up Medicare and Social Security benefits then I'll believe the bellyaching about big government. Until then, something's gotta give and excessive military spening is a significant part of the problem.

Spurminator
03-11-2011, 12:04 AM
So perhaps rather than defunding it, the solution is to fix it.

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Popular conservatism bitches about the entitlements and the checks sent out, and cashes them. Send your checks back, Yonivore, then I'll believe you.

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 12:08 AM
eh, defund it. The country will survive.

Yonivore
03-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Popular conservatism bitches about the entitlements and the checks sent out, and cashes them. Send your checks back, Yonivore, then I'll believe you.
I don't receive any entitlements from the federal government.

Yonivore
03-11-2011, 12:14 AM
So perhaps rather than defunding it, the solution is to fix it.
Well, if I thought the government should be in the broadcast business, I'd say, sure; fix it. But, since I don't hold that view, defunding seems the appropriate option, to me.

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 12:14 AM
I don't receive any entitlements from the federal government.

Fine, send them back when you get them.

Yonivore
03-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Fine, send them back when you get them.
And, when do you anticipate that will be?

Spurminator
03-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Well, if I thought the government should be in the broadcast business, I'd say, sure; fix it. But, since I don't hold that view, defunding seems the appropriate option, to me.

Then why didn't you just say that? That's perfectly reasonable. Why do you keep trying to convince us that Public Broadcast is a wasteful institution because the people at the top of the organization are a bunch of terrorist-sympathizing liberals?

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 12:18 AM
When you open your mailbox one day.

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Then why didn't you just say that? That's perfectly reasonable. Why do you keep trying to convince us that Public Broadcast is a wasteful institution because the people at the top of the organization are a bunch of terrorist-sympathizing liberals?

Disagreement requires demonization, which provides him with confirmation of personal rightness and righteousness.

Yonivore
03-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Then why didn't you just say that? That's perfectly reasonable.
I have said that before.

Why do you keep trying to convince us that Public Broadcast is a wasteful institution because the people at the top of the organization are a bunch of terrorist-sympathizing liberals?
Because, I think that's the case, as well.

Yonivore
03-11-2011, 12:23 AM
When you open your mailbox one day.
Nah, I don't think so.

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Of course.

Winehole23
03-11-2011, 01:53 AM
Then why didn't you just say that? That's perfectly reasonable. Yoni's method is to wrap a kernel of truth or common sense in a skein of begged questions, exaggerations, half-lies and dire improbabilities so long, that it takes forever to unwrap it -- supposing of course that one has previously deemed it worthy of unwrapping. The possibility is temptingly easy to overlook.

Or, Yoni merely liked what you said and agreed with it.

Yonivore
03-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Yoni's method is to wrap a kernel of truth or common sense in a skein of begged questions, exaggerations, half-lies and dire improbabilities so long, that it takes forever to unwrap it -- supposing of course that one has previously deemed it worthy of unwrapping. The possibility is temptingly easy to overlook.

Or, Yoni merely liked what you said and agreed with it.
Or, it could be that I've long held the position the government shouldn't be in the broadcast business and was making an entirely different point that public broadcasting, as it currently exists in America -- particularly, at NPR, is a prime example of why government shouldn't be in the broadcast business.

Winehole23
03-11-2011, 09:56 AM
See how easy it is to be understood once you remove all the propagandistic cant and hyperbole?

balli
03-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Shameless theft from one morning over at reddit, but:

YJFivQYjC-Q

edit: Haywood Jabuzoff- I'll tell you how to spell that later, I say to the stenographer! :lmao:lmao

http://i.imgur.com/UxCIi.jpg

The House on Thursday voted to strip National Public Radio's federal funding, a move that followed the release of a "sting" video showing an NPR executive criticizing the Republican Party and saying the station didn't need millions of dollars in federal money.

The measure passed 228-192, mostly along party lines, after a vigorous debate over the merits of public radio and the need for the government to reduce spending in the wake of a $1.3 trillion debt and $14 trillion deficit that threaten the economy.

"The object of this bill is to get NPR out of the taxpayer's pocket," said Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn. "It is time for us to be good stewards and save the money of the American taxpayer."

NPR receives about $90 million in federal funding annually, but the Congressional Budget Office calculated that the net savings from defunding the network would be zero.

Democrats seized on the CBO analysis and ridiculed the GOP for trying to silence popular public radio programs like "Prairie Home Companion" and "Car Talk" for their own political reasons.

"This legislation is no more than an ideological attack on public radio masquerading as a fiscal issue," said Rep. David Cicilline, D-R.I.

boutons_deux
03-18-2011, 11:18 AM
30 million listeners for NPR. Keep attacking it, GOP, the NPR listeners are Watching You.

ChumpDumper
03-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Or, it could be that I've long held the position the government shouldn't be in the broadcast business and was making an entirely different point that public broadcasting, as it currently exists in America -- particularly, at NPR, is a prime example of why government shouldn't be in the broadcast business.What specifically on NPR did you find so objectionable?

boutons_deux
03-18-2011, 01:10 PM
"particularly, at NPR, is a prime example of why government shouldn't be in the broadcast business."

NPR is prime example of why not-for-profit taxpayer supported journalism should exist.

Corporations have destroyed/monetized all other TV journalism into fawning, compliant lapdogs to corporate/establishmet objective$.

That NPR is left-wing, commie is Just Another Repug/Fox Propaganda Lie.

Of course, Yoni pops in with his check-box conservative position against NPR as dictated by his policy dictators.

George Gervin's Afro
03-18-2011, 01:12 PM
I didn't realize so many of the conservatives on this board listened to NPR..You guys have..right? All of these opinions on the content I would assume you have actually listened to the station... or are you guys just repeating what you've heard?

balli
03-18-2011, 01:21 PM
"I feel like public radio should address this directly, because I think anybody who listens to our stations understands that what they're hearing is mainstream media reporting," Glass said. "We have nothing to fear from a discussion of what is the news coverage we're doing. As somebody who works in public radio, it is killing me that people on the right are going around trying to basically rebrand us, saying that it's biased news, it's left wing news, when I feel like anybody who listens to the shows knows that it's not. And we are not fighting back, we are not saying anything back. I find it completely annoying, and I don't understand it."

Glass acknowledged that journalists tend to be more liberal than the general public, but he said "that doesn't change what is going out over the air."

"Go through this morning's 'Morning Edition' and find me even a sentence that smells like political bias to you," he said. "Like find one."

At best, Colbert hit the nail on the head when he said that, "reality has a well-known liberal bias."

The only thing remotely left wing about NPR is that it isn't the stuff of the spin fantasy world; Fox Propoganda Network. Conservative scums are terrified of actual reporting, actual reality, actual Unbias. Anyway, good job on your token house vote. Good luck, yoni and the rest of the shitbag GOP nation, that's about as far as you're gonna get.

TeyshaBlue
03-18-2011, 01:22 PM
This quasi-non-square-peg conservative has been a supporter of NPR for about 10 years. And I've got the coffee mugs and aprons to prove it.:lol

boutons_deux
03-18-2011, 04:40 PM
hyper-politicized, hyper-polarizing Fox Repug Propaganda network and Repugs are simply "who's not with us is against us", are not legimate.

For them, there is no neutral, no middle, no independence. And anything that is not with them must be destroyed, eliminated.

Tolerating these intolerant assholes gets you screwed, as Barry has found as he searches in vain, stupidly for compromises.

boutons_deux
06-06-2011, 09:25 AM
NPR’s Morning Shows Are Bigger than Fox News and Rush Limbaugh

Here’s why Fox News is always trying to defund NPR. In 2010, Morning Edition and All Things Considered averaged 13 million and 12 million plus listeners each. In 2011 Fox and Friends have an audience of 1.09 million, while Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh’s radio shows are in decline.

While the top rated Fox and Friends averages 1.09 million, FNC’s daytime lineup averages 1.085 million. Before anyone on the right grumbles about an apples and oranges comparison, consider that in the spring of 2010 Glenn Beck only had 9 million listeners. Rush Limbaugh, who depending on the market, had 15 million listeners, and Sean Hannity had 14 million listeners.

Today, Limbaugh is now down to 10 million listeners, and Hannity is down to around 9 million. Glenn Beck’s radio ratings dipped 39% at one point. For all the talk of the strength of the right wing media, the point remains that they cater to a relatively small audience. They are loud, but they are not huge. No wonder Fox News and the right wing talkers are so desperate to defund NPR.

http://www.politicususa.com/en/npr-fox-news-rush?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+%28Politi cus+USA+%29

coyotes_geek
06-06-2011, 09:53 AM
NPR’s Morning Shows Are Bigger than Fox News and Rush Limbaugh

Here’s why Fox News is always trying to defund NPR. In 2010, Morning Edition and All Things Considered averaged 13 million and 12 million plus listeners each. In 2011 Fox and Friends have an audience of 1.09 million, while Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh’s radio shows are in decline.

While the top rated Fox and Friends averages 1.09 million, FNC’s daytime lineup averages 1.085 million. Before anyone on the right grumbles about an apples and oranges comparison, consider that in the spring of 2010 Glenn Beck only had 9 million listeners. Rush Limbaugh, who depending on the market, had 15 million listeners, and Sean Hannity had 14 million listeners.

Today, Limbaugh is now down to 10 million listeners, and Hannity is down to around 9 million. Glenn Beck’s radio ratings dipped 39% at one point. For all the talk of the strength of the right wing media, the point remains that they cater to a relatively small audience. They are loud, but they are not huge. No wonder Fox News and the right wing talkers are so desperate to defund NPR.

http://www.politicususa.com/en/npr-fox-news-rush?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+%28Politi cus+USA+%29

All the more reason to defund them. If their audience truly is that big then they don't need taxpayer support.

boutons_deux
06-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Correct, they haven't needed taxpayer support for years, since the Gingrich Repugs went after NPR in the 90s.

Only about 3% of their income is govt sources.

Wild Cobra
06-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Boutons, again, you prove yourself to be a useful idiot for the left. That is not the reason at all. It all has to do with tax payer dollars going to what conservatives consider a partisan entity.

Coyote, I agree with you.

Wild Cobra
06-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Correct, they haven't needed taxpayer support for years, since the Gingrich Repugs went after NPR in the 90s.

Then you agree we can stop the subsidies, then there is no cause to complain. Right?

coyotes_geek
06-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Great. So what's all the fuss about defunding them about? Just defund them and let's move on.

George Gervin's Afro
06-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Boutons, again, you prove yourself to be a useful idiot for the left. That is not the reason at all. It all has to do with tax payer dollars going to what conservatives consider a partisan entity.

Coyote, I agree with you.

does anyone else get tickeld when WC refers to someone else as an idiot?

boutons_deux
06-06-2011, 11:49 AM
"It all has to do with tax payer dollars going to what conservatives consider a partisan entity."

I consider giving taxpayer dollars to "Christian" brain-washing schools to be a Repug partisan abuse and Constitutional violation. But you and WC have no objection?

Wild Cobra
06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
"It all has to do with tax payer dollars going to what conservatives consider a partisan entity."

I consider giving taxpayer dollars to "Christian" brain-washing schools to be a Repug partisan abuse and Constitutional violation. But you and WC have no objection?
I'm not aware of that happening. The schools today clearly advocate PC, which many people disagree with. I think the schools should stick to teaching.

boutons_deux
06-06-2011, 09:10 PM
"While NPR does not receive any direct federal funding, it does receive a small number of competitive grants from CPB and federal agencies like the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce. This funding amounts to approximately 2% of NPR’s overall revenues."

Selecting NPR because it's not hard-core right-wing fundamentalist, you guys seem to never pick up stories similar to this one:

The Insane Interest Group Politics That Have America Subsidizing Brazilian Cotton Farmers

giving Brazilian cotton farmers $147 million a year in subsidies to allow us to continue subsidizing US cotton farmers without imperiling the interests of US biotech firms.

http://thinkprogress.org/yglesias/2011/06/06/237330/the-insane-interest-group-politics-that-have-america-subsidizing-brazilian-cotton-farmers/

UCA is never too broke to bail out corps and capitalists, but too broke to lay off teachers (TX, etc), fireman, police, poor, sick, old, disabled.

Wild Cobra
06-06-2011, 10:27 PM
"While NPR does not receive any direct federal funding, it does receive a small number of competitive grants from CPB and federal agencies like the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce. This funding amounts to approximately 2% of NPR’s overall revenues."

Selecting NPR because it's not hard-core right-wing fundamentalist, you guys seem to never pick up stories similar to this one:

The Insane Interest Group Politics That Have America Subsidizing Brazilian Cotton Farmers

giving Brazilian cotton farmers $147 million a year in subsidies to allow us to continue subsidizing US cotton farmers without imperiling the interests of US biotech firms.

http://thinkprogress.org/yglesias/2011/06/06/237330/the-insane-interest-group-politics-that-have-america-subsidizing-brazilian-cotton-farmers/

UCA is never too broke to bail out corps and capitalists, but too broke to lay off teachers (TX, etc), fireman, police, poor, sick, old, disabled.

Looks like it's time to remove ourselves from the WTO. That is if this is real.

These amendments affect HR 1 (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr1pcs/pdf/BILLS-112hr1pcs.pdf), which I could not find any subsidy spending to Brazil in.

I really wish you would research and back up your propaganda.

Wild Cobra
06-06-2011, 11:32 PM

I found the WTO finding (http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/assets/crs/RL32571.pdf) on this. Again, the Think Progress story lies. I assume NPR picked up the story, and why you are spouting the utter bullshit about lack of partisanship.

Second Finding

With respect to Brazil’s request for $1.155 billion in countermeasures related to the “prohibited” subsidies, the arbitrator found that Brazil was only entitled to retaliate for the effects of these subsidies on Brazilian products and not for their full effect on the rest of the world (ROW). The arbitrator used Brazil’s share of world exports of those products receiving GSM 102 credit guarantees (estimated to be 11.7% in 2006) to apportion Brazil’s share of the subsidy effect from the entire global market effect. With this revision to Brazil’s formula, the arbitrator estimated the countermeasure at $147.4 million in FY2006—comprising an interest rate effect of $25.27 million, marginal additionality of $41.3 million, and full additionality of $80.8 million. Furthermore, the arbitrator ruled that the retaliatory amount accorded Brazil would vary each year (via formula) based on the total of exporter applications received by the U.S. government under the GSM 102 program for the most recently concluded fiscal year. The formula would consider an interest rate subsidy component and the trade displacement additionality (both full and marginal) of the subsidy component of GSM 102.

This is a fine. Was it paid? No. Not until 2010 was it agreed to be put in a shared technology fund. I did see legislation to reduce US cotton subsidies before finding this, but am not going to look for it again. I couldn't find in any congressional text of the last two congress' showing payments to Brazil over cotton.

Here is the last good article I found on the situation:

U.S. and Brazil Reach Agreement on Cotton Dispute (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/business/07trade.html)

Watch out Beef Growers. Brazilian beef was agreed to be deemed disease free over this.

NPR is too often full of beefshit. They scare people with unconfirmed stories.

TeyshaBlue
06-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Remarkable display of wilful ignnorance.

Soul_Patch
06-07-2011, 09:07 AM
So, i read this whole thread.

Why am i supposed to hate NPR again? I still dont follow.

boutons_deux
06-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Why am i supposed to hate NPR again

Because, like most of USA, it's not hard-core fundamentalist extreme right-wing.

Soul_Patch
06-07-2011, 04:14 PM
I find talk of the nation to be one of the better political commentary shows out there.

NPR ranks right under POTUS radio (satellite) for me when it comes to talk radio.