PDA

View Full Version : Pistons vs. Spurs 3/9/11: Random Game Thoughts

TDfan2007
03-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Coming into tonight's game the Spurs were looking to bounce back after a royal ass whooping at the hands of the defending champs. 1 quarter in, it seemed as though the Spurs were looking to take every ounce of frustration that they had out on the Pistons. However, lethargic defense, stagnant offense, poor rebounding, and an all around lack of effort allowed Detroit back in the game. To the Pistons' credit, they revved up the intensity in the second half, and the Spurs just did not match it. Unfortunately for the Pistons though...they're not a very good basketball team. As such, the Spurs still pulled out a win.

The Good:

-McDyess starting! A fantastic adjustment by Pop. Dice spreads the floor for Tim, and is a fantastic pick and pop player when working the two-man game with Tony/Manu. He's also this team's 2nd-best interior defender. Just as important, Dejuan didn't miss a beat coming off the bench. Hopefully Dice keeps his starting spot and this wasn't just some sign of respect from Pop with it being Dice's 1000th game.

-Manu attacking the rim. This is the Manu that many Spurs fans have been clamoring for for a while now. Gone were the ill-advised 3s as Manu put the pressure on Detroit's bigs off the screen and roll time and time again.

-Tony Parker. What injury? Tony was absolutely incredible. His foot was on the gas pedal from start to finish on BOTH ends. When Manu and Tony are attacking the basket like he did today this team goes from great to almost unbeatable.

-Timmy's rebounding. His rebounding had been sub par for the last few games, so this was a welcome sign.

-RJ's offense Good aggressive game from RJ. It helps when your teammates are looking for you. This was definitely the case tonight, and Jefferson came up big in the first half. I would have liked more aggressiveness from him in the second half, but I'll take 12-15 points from RJ any day.

The Bad:

-Turnovers. No idea what happened here.

-George Hill's court vision. Just...terrible.

-2nd half offense. After that 1st quarter eruption our offense looked out of sync and stagnant far too often. I didn't like the fact that we went away from Timmy in the 2nd half. He was 5-5 in the 1st half and saw the ball very little in the second half. This was a great opportunity to feed Tim, let him dominate, and get his confidence/rhythm going. I feel like we didn't exploit Tim in the post as much as we could have.

-Defense. This was not a good defensive performance. The pistons ran their offense virtually uninterrupted for most of the game. Most importantly I was disappointed with the effort of George in fighting through screens (a problem he's had since well...he got here). Allowing this craptacular Pistons team to shoot 45% from the field is inexcusable.

The Ugly:

- Rebounding.This is just getting regoddamndiculous. The main culprit here is Jefferson, and has been for a while. He doesn't box out, and when he does he doesn't hold his position well enough and just gets thrown around. Jefferson's struggles aside, rebounding has to be a team effort. Speaking of which...

-Effort. I would have put this under "The Bad," but given the fact that our guys got their asses handed to them on Sunday, I expected to see them come out with much more intensity than they did. Mistakes happen, professionals or not, but the lack of intensity was inexcusable.

-Timmy's right block one handed fadeaway. This shot is pure trash and needs to be eliminated IMMEDIATELY. Use your left hand Timmy!

I might make these thoughts a regular thing depending on how you guys like it. I'm not touching game grades, since Cry Havoc is all over that shit.

Pauleta14
03-10-2011, 12:56 AM
thanks!

nice read before sleep...

Velo
03-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Specifically, Offensive rebounds. We got killed there...20-5 Pistons

Manu-of-steel
03-10-2011, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the nice write up!

polandprzem
03-10-2011, 05:48 AM
I wonder if spurs can picked it up.

They've been playing inconsistent ball recently and it's something new as it's mid of March where the spurs suppose to gather themselves and destroy opponents by cold execution on both ends of the court.

Anybody has seen flashes of an outstanding D this season? If not it simply means that the spurs can't play elite type of D and their offense will be the key and that's the problem. Also we will depend on our gambling D in the playoffs. Jeez hope Bonner can shoot treys cause LA team just made him hesitate those shots and made him non factor from the long distance and they do not mind Bonner dribbling inside the basket.

Worry
me
some

polandprzem
03-10-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm sorry :(

It seems like my posts always killing threads

Sleepy_Floyd
03-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm sorry :(

It seems like my posts always killing threads

No, that would be me. The few very times I posted I feel like I walked into a room and was like "Yeah! Spurs..." and then everyone left.:depressed :lol

Cane
03-10-2011, 12:26 PM
In that 2nd half the Spurs looked like the Celtics and Mavs did last night - they basically got out-rebounded and outworked except in the Spurs case they managed to grab a W.

Anyway that was a game of two halves. Spurs went into coast mode in the 2nd and tried to play too much 1v1 without bothering the Pistons enough defensively. Their skilled and lengthy wing players can be a bad matchup for a lot of the Spurs wings.

Spurs Brazil
03-10-2011, 03:17 PM
The Spurs struggled keeping Detroit off the offensive glass as the Pistons grabbed 20 to match the second-highest total of the season for an opponent. Four of their opponents’ top 11 offensive rebounding games have come in their last six games. The Spurs have to do a better job in cleaning the glass as they build to the playoffs.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/09/five-quick-takes-will-spurs-lineup-change-be-permanent/