PDA

View Full Version : Perry says state not to blame for school woes

djohn2oo8
03-10-2011, 10:07 AM
AUSTIN — Gov. Rick Perry (http://topics.chron.com/topics/Rick_Perry) said Wednesday the state's not to blame if teachers lose their jobs as school districts grapple with the potential loss of billions of state dollars.
S
chool groups took issue with Perry's effort to distance the state from the effects of budget cuts, which by one estimate could cost up to 100,000 school district jobs through the next two years.

"The lieutenant governor, the (Texas House) speaker, and their colleagues aren't going to hire or fire one teacher, best I can tell. That is a local decision that will be made at the local districts," Perry said when asked about a Texas Capitol rally planned Saturday by teachers, parents and others concerned about the potential cuts.

Families and small businesses across Texas "are making decisions about what's a priority," Perry said, "… and I think school districts are no different."

He said if he were deciding, he'd focus on "non-teaching" staff - which a number of school districts have said wouldn't suffice to meet the cuts.
"Let there be no mistake, the decisions being made in school districts across the state regarding staff layoffs are a direct result of state funding cuts proposed by lawmakers," an alliance of education groups said in a joint statement.

"We urge lawmakers to use a balanced approach in developing a state budget, including accessing the rainy day fund" state savings account, said the Texas Association of School Administrators, Texas Association of School Boards and Texas School Alliance.

Texas could fire every school superintendent, all principals and assistant principals, every school counselor, every librarian, every school nurse, all cafeteria workers, custodians and bus drivers - all 329,574 non-teacher jobs - and still not save the $11.6 billion in public education cuts, according to average salary figures on the TEA website.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7465134.html

George Gervin's Afro
03-10-2011, 10:09 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7465134.html

This guy is a piece of shit...

boutons_deux
03-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Texas budget mess got started with 2006 property tax cut

The economic downturn isn't helping the shortfall, but it's not driving it, either. The driving factor is a decision by Gov. Rick Perry and the Legislature in 2006 to reduce property taxes by $14 billion every two years and raise only about $9 billion to replace that money.
In other words, the Legislature committed $5 billion every two years to holding down property taxes instead of spending that money on education, public safety or other priorities.
Then the state's new business tax brought in drastically less than projected, and that $5 billion gap turned into a nearly $9 billion gap. Lawmakers from both parties did little to address that reality when they met in 2009, and in fact they made the gap a little wider by exempting 40,000 small businesses from the new tax.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/02/22/1987967/texas-budget-mess-got-started.html#ixzz1GD5ciK4l

George Gervin's Afro
03-10-2011, 10:23 AM

The economic downturn isn't helping the shortfall, but it's not driving it, either. The driving factor is a decision by Gov. Rick Perry and the Legislature in 2006 to reduce property taxes by $14 billion every two years and raise only about $9 billion to replace that money.
In other words, the Legislature committed $5 billion every two years to holding down property taxes instead of spending that money on education, public safety or other priorities.
Then the state's new business tax brought in drastically less than projected, and that $5 billion gap turned into a nearly $9 billion gap. Lawmakers from both parties did little to address that reality when they met in 2009, and in fact they made the gap a little wider by exempting 40,000 small businesses from the new tax.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/02/22/1987967/texas-budget-mess-got-started.html#ixzz1GD5ciK4l

No boutons it was Washingon's fault...

Rick reminds us all the time... that is in between his taking credit for the friendly business environment and that Texas is the conservative model for the nation....

boutons_deux
03-10-2011, 10:27 AM
"No boutons it was Washingon's fault..."

What? Isn't it all HUSSAINcare's fault?

TeyshaBlue
03-10-2011, 10:40 AM
this guy is a piece of shit...

+10.

coyotes_geek
03-10-2011, 10:41 AM
This guy is a piece of shit...

Yep.

Marcus Bryant
03-10-2011, 11:22 AM
So the $ will come from Santa Claus.

Das Texan
03-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Why people elected this fucking clown to yet another term when he has fucked Texas is beyond me.

Spurminator
03-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Because he's a Republican and he doesn't talk all faggy and shit.

Marcus Bryant
03-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Sure, Goodhair the Secessionist is a buffoon.

Who's up for paying more in property taxes and a new state income tax?

TeyshaBlue
03-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Who's up for paying more in property taxes and a new state income tax?

I don't know bout property taxes, but I'd be able to tolerate a .25/gal gas tax.

CosmicCowboy
03-10-2011, 12:14 PM
I would support using the "rainy day fund" along with across the board cutbacks now to balance the budget, then instituting another .25 % sales tax that would be dedicated to building the "rainy day fund" back up to 10-15 billion, then ending the tax.

coyotes_geek
03-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Because he's a Republican and he doesn't talk all faggy and shit.

Pretty much. Perry's got Texas politics figured out. Be a loud, angry, white guy in the republican primary because loud, angry, white guys are the only ones who bother to vote in republican primaries. Then in the general election just shut up knowing that while independents and moderate republicans may not like you, they can't bring themselves to vote for a democrat.

Wild Cobra
03-10-2011, 12:18 PM
I would support using the "rainy day fund" along with across the board cutbacks now to balance the budget, then instituting another .25 cent sales tax that would be dedicated to building the "rainy day fund" back up to 10-15 billion, then ending the tax.
No matter what state we speak of, or even the federal government, I believe we need a tax that affects everyone. I have mentioned the social tax before. How about reducing income taxes, and reducing sales taxes in states with no income tax. Them implement a low rate of taxing all gross income. No exceptions, no credits, etc. A strait small percentage from everyone. Then as government revenue needs to increase or decrease, we increase or decrease this new tax. A tax that affects everyone, so that they will be more conscience of the spending habits of the people they elect to office.

coyotes_geek
03-10-2011, 12:22 PM
I would support using the "rainy day fund" along with across the board cutbacks now to balance the budget, then instituting another .25 % sales tax that would be dedicated to building the "rainy day fund" back up to 10-15 billion, then ending the tax.

I'd be okay with that.

Stringer_Bell
03-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Wow, so much butthurt just because Texas is open for business. I'm sorry we're not some other scum-sucking state that accepts Obamacare, bloated school budgets, and don't want to secede with our guns in hand and country music on the stereo. If you disagree, there's 49 other states that would love to be your nanny.

Signed, a real Patriot willing to make difficult fiscal decisions

rjv
03-10-2011, 12:49 PM

but hey-he didn't raise taxes ! isn't that all that really matters anymore ?

boutons_deux
03-10-2011, 01:18 PM
"so much butthurt just because Texas is open for business"

When the Repugs defund the EPA, the Houston ship channel will be open for inflammability, again.

The Reckoning
03-10-2011, 01:18 PM
a new state income tax?

:tu

i dont understand why a fixed income tax couldnt solve everything....

boutons_deux
03-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Just uncut the 2006 property tax cut, duh, and see how that goes.

What royalty fees does TX get from resource extraction? I'm sure the compromised, owned Good Ol' Boys on TX railroad commission would love to raise those fees.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Just build more F1 tracks with tax money and everything will be fine.

RandomGuy
03-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Pretty much. Perry's got Texas politics figured out. Be a loud, angry, white guy in the republican primary because loud, angry, white guys are the only ones who bother to vote in republican primaries. Then in the general election just shut up knowing that while independents and moderate republicans may not like you, they can't bring themselves to vote for a democrat.

Bingo.

RandomGuy
03-10-2011, 02:13 PM
No matter what state we speak of, or even the federal government, I believe we need a tax that affects everyone. I have mentioned the social tax before. How about reducing income taxes, and reducing sales taxes in states with no income tax. Them implement a low rate of taxing all gross income. No exceptions, no credits, etc. A strait small percentage from everyone. Then as government revenue needs to increase or decrease, we increase or decrease this new tax. A tax that affects everyone, so that they will be more conscience of the spending habits of the people they elect to office.

Becasue it is perfectly moral and reasonable to take 22% of the income of a single working mother who has to choose between shoes, electricity, or food for her kids.

DMX7
03-10-2011, 02:16 PM

lol, I was thinking the same thing. It's funny because Bobby Knight loves the guy and said it on TV, and I was thinking that's really the kind of person who got him elected.

DMX7
03-10-2011, 02:19 PM
I believe we need a tax that affects everyone. I have mentioned the social tax before. How about reducing income taxes, and reducing sales taxes in states with no income tax. Them implement a low rate of taxing all gross income. No exceptions, no credits, etc. A strait small percentage from everyone. Then as government revenue needs to increase or decrease, we increase or decrease this new tax. A tax that affects everyone, so that they will be more conscience of the spending habits of the people they elect to office.

Sales tax does affect everyone, you goddamn idiot.

Wild Cobra
03-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Sales tax does affect everyone, you goddamn idiot.
Not proportionally.

George Gervin's Afro
03-10-2011, 08:53 PM
if you make more you pay more.. not proportionally..

FuzzyLumpkins
03-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Wow.

This guy needs to grab a set of political balls from Truman's grave and be a leader.

PM5K
03-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Didn't read the thread but UGH. Seriously, I would have rather had any other Republican, even though I generally vote Democrat.

Winehole23
03-11-2011, 10:34 AM
One tough grandma called it four years ago:

http://www.window.state.tx.us/news/60515letter.html

coyotes_geek
03-11-2011, 10:41 AM
"One tough grandma" called it four years ago:

http://www.window.state.tx.us/news/60515letter.html

Wow. Nice find. :tu

I did hear on the radio this morning that Perry might be easing up on his opposition to touching the rainy day fund.

boutons_deux
03-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Not proportionally.

yep, a flat tax is highly regressive, seriously affecting the poor, while nary a blip on the wealthy.

Euro countries with 18%+ VAT have very generous income tax deductions for the poor to compensate for the regressiveness.

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 11:39 AM
WC, are you calling for a pure, across the board sales tax or one with exemptions for the necessities of life and/or some kind of standard exemption (for example, the first $20K of annual expenditures)?

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Anyways, the rainy day fund, funded by prior taxes, would seem to be the obvious source to cover those state expenditures deemed essential, and a way to mitigate a harsh upward ratchet in taxes in the near term.

Perry's electoral success in the face of his unpopularity stems from his willingness to offer what a majority want. Or, everyone loves to dump on his buffonish ways, while they want the limitations he seeks on state expenditures and taxation.

EVAY
03-11-2011, 11:51 AM

You broke the code!!!:lol

Blake
03-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Pretty much. Perry's got Texas politics figured out. Be a loud, angry, white guy in the republican primary because loud, angry, white guys are the only ones who bother to vote in republican primaries.

If only Howard Dean had been a republican

FromWayDowntown
03-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Luckily, spending on education is non-essential.

Besides, if we did away with this parasitic mentality -- if people would just send their kids to private schools and drive commerce in that way -- the State wouldn't be facing problems like this one. Seriously.

greyforest
03-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Luckily, spending on education is non-essential.

Besides, if we did away with this parasitic mentality -- if people would just send their kids to private schools and drive commerce in that way -- the State wouldn't be facing problems like this one. Seriously.

Not everybody can afford to send their kids to private schools. Maybe you can, but not everyone can.

If you are honestly proposing doing away with public education, then I guess you wouldn't mind living in a 3rd-world country where a large percentage of the population can't read or write.

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 12:43 PM
So are we up for increased property taxes and a state personal income tax, or is that just for the other guy?

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Not everybody can afford to send their kids to private schools. Maybe you can, but not everyone can.

If you are honestly proposing doing away with public education, then I guess you wouldn't mind living in a 3rd-world country where a large percentage of the population can't read or write.

...or detect sarcasm, apparently.

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 12:46 PM
It'd be great if the government gave everyone their own house and a few acres. Problem is, Santa Claus can't be counted on to provide the funds.

So until a majority is willing to pony up, all this pious angst is for naught.

CosmicCowboy
03-11-2011, 12:47 PM

:lmao

Blake

if that exact post, word for word, had come from WC I would have taken him seriously.

FromWayDowntown

yup yup

coyotes_geek
03-11-2011, 12:49 PM
If only Howard Dean had been a republican

Give Dean a campaign platform even further to the right and he'd probably be able to give Perry a run for his money.

CosmicCowboy
03-11-2011, 12:50 PM
So are we up for increased property taxes and a state personal income tax, or is that just for the other guy?

I'm up for using the "rainy day fund", then across the board cuts to make up the difference. Raise the state sales tax .25 or .50 and dedicate those funds specifically to rebuilding the "rainy day fund". When an agreed upon threshold is met...maybe 15 billion?...that sales tax increase goes away.

As for being an unfair tax? Most "necessary for life" items are already exempt from the tax...

Wild Cobra
03-11-2011, 01:42 PM
yep, a flat tax is highly regressive, seriously affecting the poor, while nary a blip on the wealthy.

Euro countries with 18%+ VAT have very generous income tax deductions for the poor to compensate for the regressiveness.
Why do you hate the people who have enough money to provide work for others?

Wild Cobra
03-11-2011, 01:43 PM
WC, are you calling for a pure, across the board sales tax or one with exemptions for the necessities of life and/or some kind of standard exemption (for example, the first $20K of annual expenditures)?
Necessities are excluded. I said that before. Even today, sales taxes exclude food. That's why when DMX7 said "Sales tax does affect everyone, you goddamn idiot," I said not proportionally.

Wild Cobra
03-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Besides Marcus, i wasn't calling for a sales tax in this thread, but a social tax. Like social security. Everyone pays the same percentage, from dollar 1.

boutons_deux
03-11-2011, 02:05 PM
"Everyone pays the same percentage, from dollar 1."

You RILLY RILLY love cruelly regressive taxation.

Isn't capped-above-4th-quintile SocSec regressive enough for you?

Marcus Bryant
03-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Besides Marcus, i wasn't calling for a sales tax in this thread, but a social tax. Like social security. Everyone pays the same percentage, from dollar 1.

So no annual personal exclusion?

TDMVPDPOY
03-11-2011, 02:37 PM
regarding to school canteens

i thought that was mainly outsourced to a operator who pays the school rent for usage or mainly parents volunteering time serving in the canteen...

there are alot of useless teachers man and useless subjects taught at school that should be scrapped

Blake
03-11-2011, 03:20 PM
there are alot of useless teachers man and useless subjects taught at school that should be scrapped

what's an example of a useless subject?

greyforest
03-11-2011, 05:26 PM

There are plenty of posters on this board with extremist stances, so it's really impossible to tell.

Wild Cobra
03-11-2011, 09:35 PM
"Everyone pays the same percentage, from dollar 1."

You RILLY RILLY love cruelly regressive taxation.

Isn't capped-above-4th-quintile SocSec regressive enough for you?
If that's what you want to believe, I simply don't give a damn. You are so far off the left, I really don't care about your stupidity. I have explained it before. People who vote need to have a dog in the fight. If they don't have their money going into the fund as well, and have their rate changes as the spending requirements change, then they shouldn't be able to vote.

Would you rather go back to a poll tax?

Wild Cobra
03-11-2011, 09:36 PM
So no annual personal exclusion?
None.

Like social security, a strait percentage, but no wealth cap either. Everyone pays a small strait percentage of their income.

Nbadan
03-11-2011, 10:17 PM
If that's what you want to believe, I simply don't give a damn. You are so far off the left, I really don't care about your stupidity. I have explained it before. People who vote need to have a dog in the fight. If they don't have their money going into the fund as well, and have their rate changes as the spending requirements change, then they shouldn't be able to vote.

Would you rather go back to a poll tax?

:rolleyes

Many corporations pay no taxes, yet they enjoy the same rights as individuals and according to the wing-nut supreme court should have the 'biggest dog in the fight"....fuck your double-standard...

Yonivore
03-11-2011, 10:18 PM

Many corporations pay no taxes, yet they enjoy the same rights as individuals and according to the wing-nut supreme court should have the 'biggest dog in the fight"....fuck your double-standard...
All Corporations pay no taxes.

Those that do write a check to the government, pass the cost on to employees, stockholders, or consumers.

Wild Cobra
03-11-2011, 10:22 PM

Why do you libtards skirt around the reason I bring this up?

It is to help make voters accountable for who they elect to office. Too many have no concern of election politicians that promise them "other people's money." If they have their money in that pot too, more will be more concerned about how the politician plans to spend tax payer dollars.

Also remember, the first time I brought this concept up. Require all employers to give employees a pay raise, equal to the employers match of social security and medicare insurances.

Abolish social security and medicare deductions, and call it a "social tax."

Everyone gets the same net pay after taxation. The new tax amount would be 14.2127%.

The below calculations will exclude the new temporary SS rates:

For every $1,000 you make, you pay $62 in Social security and $14.50 in medicare. Your employer matches this cost. After employees pay this, they have a net $923.50 for those hours.

Your employer would be required to raise you pay by 7.65%. You would now make $1,076.50 for the same worked hours. Taxing 14.2127% from your increased income is a tax of $153.00 rather than the $76.50 you paid before. $1076.50 - $153 gives the same net pay of $923.50.

What too many people don't realize is that the employer cost of SS/medicare is part of the cost of employing them. I want this in all employees faces, that they realize this is their money. I want everyone to see just how much the government takes from everyone.

My final goal of this method is to have income tax rates fixed. they can still have the deductions for family status, exemptions, credits, etc. but can no longer be used as a political football. The new "social tax" now becomes the political football. Any time congress wants to increase or decrease taxes, this new tax is used. All voters who are actual tax payers now have a real stake in the game of who they elect.

Marcus Bryant
03-12-2011, 12:20 AM

Neither do unions, including the worthless public sector variety which organize against the general public. Fuck them.

ChuckD
03-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Why do you hate the people who have enough money to provide work for others?

Because the jobs they provide are usually in the third world.

ChuckD
03-12-2011, 09:46 AM

My one small happy thought in all of this is that his arrogance and insistence on ONE MORE TERM is probably going to cost him any national political aspirations he had by leaving him holding the bag of shit he created here in TX.

Wild Cobra
03-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Because the jobs they provide are usually in the third world.
You need to fill out one of the "butthurt" reports.

Capt Bringdown
03-12-2011, 06:20 PM
http://www.truthdig.com/images/cartoonuploads/edbudget_500.jpg