PDA

View Full Version : Spurs interested in hosting ASG... in Alamdome.

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 02:40 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/blog/2011/03/spurs-remain-interested-in-hosting-nba.html

Let's do it! :toast

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 02:41 PM
tbh let's stick to cities where there's actually shit to do

ChumpDumper
03-10-2011, 02:44 PM
tbh let's stick to cities where there's actually shit to doHow many ASGs have you personally attended?

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 02:45 PM

:sleep

Mel_13
I'm interested in dating Jessica Alba.

Buddy Holly
How many ASGs have you personally attended?

Is this a trick question? You know that kid has never left the comfort of his parents home.

Better yet, has the troll ever been to San Antonio?

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm interested in dating Jessica Alba.

But the Spurs have hosted an ASG before. You've never even seen her in person.

Advantage Spurs.

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 02:47 PM
How many ASGs have you personally attended?

One, many moons ago (1990)

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Is this a trick question? You know that kid has never left the comfort of his parents home.

Better yet, has the troll ever been to San Antonio?

1. Sick burn, really. I'm serious. This is my serious face

2. Yes, a couple times on business. There's the Alamo, some places to eat, and an open sewer the locals call the Riverwalk

ChumpDumper
03-10-2011, 02:51 PM
One, many moons ago (1990)I went to the 96 one. It was a pretty crazy week overall tbh. Lots of things to do.

Dex
03-10-2011, 02:51 PM
I understand the Alamodome could accommodate more people, but do they still even keep up with that place anymore?

Terrible investment.

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 02:52 PM
I went to the 96 one. It was a pretty crazy week overall tbh. Lots of things to do.

Very true. The atmosphere of the event and the days leading up to it far exceed the game, tbh.

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 02:53 PM

2. Yes, a couple times on business. There's the Alamo, some places to eat, and an open sewer the locals call the Riverwalk

So you never even left the central loop? Nice. Well, you explored all of SA. Good job. I'm serious. This is my serious face.

Mel_13
03-10-2011, 02:54 PM
But the Spurs have hosted an ASG before. You've never even seen her in person.

Advantage Spurs.

In the sense that one in a thousand is better odds than one in a million.

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 02:54 PM
I understand the Alamodome could accommodate more people, but do they still even keep up with that place anymore?

Terrible investment.

Yeah, it just underwent a multi million dollar interior renovation and also had new high tech scoreboards and tv screens added prior to that.

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 02:55 PM
In the sense that one in a thousand is better odds than one in a million.

I don't get it, which odds belong to who? :lol

But seriously, you honestly think there's no shot? :lol

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 02:56 PM
So you never even left the central loop? Nice. Well, you explored all of SA. Good job. I'm serious. This is my serious face.

My bad, scrah...give me a cliffs notes version of what I've missed and I'll be sure to catch it next time I'm passing through.

Mel_13
03-10-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't get it, which odds belong to who? :lol

But seriously, you honestly think there's no shot? :lol

We've had this discussion before. The Alamodome pales in comparison to Jerry World and Reliant Stadium, and that's just the other two NBA cities in the state of Texas.

San Antonio is still an NBA city so it's not impossible, but there's really no practical chance when you look at the locations/facilities that the NBA has recently selected.

George Gervin's Afro
03-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Will someone let john know that SA has hosted numerous Final Fours..Of course he will make the claim that the All-Star game is bigger than the Final 4...

LongtimeSpursFan
03-10-2011, 03:11 PM
My bad, scrah...give me a cliffs notes version of what I've missed and I'll be sure to catch it next time I'm passing through.

Unfortunately these are the types of individuals the ASG attracts. Unless its a bar, club or gentleman establishment they are not interested. Im sure San Antonio with its history and culture can provide more than enough 'entertainment' for more most folks.

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 03:12 PM
We've had this discussion before. The Alamodome pales in comparison to Jerry World and Reliant Stadium, and that's just the other two NBA cities in the state of Texas.

Reliant stadium has been around almost ten years and when Houston hosted in 2006, they hosted it at the Toyota center.

Dallas hosted most of the events in the NBA arena while only the actual game was held at Cowboys stadium because Cuban wanted to break records.

So throwing out football stadiums as a reason for why SA won't host an all star game or diminishes the chances of hosting is silly because playing in a large stadium is rare and not something the NBA looks at.

San Antonio is still an NBA city so it's not impossible, but there's really no practical chance when you look at the locations/facilities that the NBA has recently selected.

Because the facility is just one of the things looked at. The Alamodome would be used simply because the rodeo takes place during the ASG.

I'd say if the Spurs put a bid in, I'd like their chances.

Mel_13
03-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Reliant stadium has been around almost ten years and when Houston hosted in 2006, they hosted it at the Toyota center.

Dallas hosted most of the events in the NBA arena while only the actual game was held at Cowboys stadium because Cuban wanted to break records.

So throwing out football stadiums as a reason for why SA won't host a game is silly because playing in a large stadium is rare.

Because the facility is just one of the things looked at. The Alamodome would be used simply because the rodeo takes place during the ASG.

I'd say if the Spurs put a bid in, I'd like their chances.

You said the same thing last year and they picked Orlando.

Dream on if you like, but the recent decisions made by the NBA and the NCAA are telling. The biggest events aren't coming back to San Antonio.

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 03:18 PM

Dream on if you like, but the recent decisions made by the NBA and the NCAA are telling. The biggest events aren't coming back to San Antonio.

I said what? I don't think I've ever had a Spurs hosting ASG discussion on this forum or ever in my life to be honest. Could you find the thread?

As for Orlando, they got the ASG because they got a new arena.

You're acting like the Spurs put a bid in every year and get snubbed. They don't. Who know's when the last time the Spurs put a bid in.

Dex
03-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Yeah, it just underwent a multi million dollar interior renovation and also had new high tech scoreboards and tv screens added prior to that.

Nice, hadn't heard about that up here in Austin.

Guess they are hoping to attract SOMETHING then.

spursfan09
03-10-2011, 03:20 PM

Do you think the Spurs would have better chacnes if it was hosted in the ATT cEnter?

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Here's some info on a separate upgrade regarding the concessions.

http://www.digitalsignageexpo.net/DNNArticleMaster/DNNArticleView/tabid/78/ArticleId/3660/Texas-Digital-Completes-Digital-Menu-Board-Project-at-Alamodome.aspx

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Do you think the Spurs would have better chacnes if it was hosted in the ATT cEnter?

They couldn't, because of the rodeo, that's why they haven't hosted since 1996.

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Unfortunately these are the types of individuals the ASG attracts. Unless its a bar, club or gentleman establishment they are not interested. Im sure San Antonio with its history and culture can provide more than enough 'entertainment' for more most folks.

If I was a family man then I'm sure San Antonio would be just swell. If I'm paying for airfare for both me and my girl I want it to be to an exciting/vibrant city such as LA, Chi, NYC, NO, Miami, etc.

If I was married and had kids I'm sure SA would be perfect, and truth be told that's probably most of the people attending. Just not my personal preference, tbh

Mel_13
03-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I said what? I don't think I've ever had a Spurs hosting ASG discussion on this forum or ever in my life to be honest. Could you find the thread?

As for Orlando, they got the ASG because they got a new arena.

You're acting like the Spurs put a bid in every year and get snubbed. They don't. Who know's when the last time the Spurs put a bid in.

Check your own post history. :rolleyes

I live in San Antonio and love the place. I'm a Spurs season ticket holder and have been to dozens of events at the Alamodome. It's not hating on San Antonio to accept the reality that the NBA All-Star game is a pipe dream. When your potential bid starts with the fact that your NBA arena is unavailable, you're pretty well screwed.

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 03:29 PM
If I was a family man then I'm sure San Antonio would be just swell. If I'm paying for airfare for both me and my girl I want it to be to an exciting/vibrant city such as LA, Chi, NYC, NO, Miami, etc.

If I was married and had kids I'm sure SA would be perfect, and truth be told that's probably most of the people attending. Just not my personal preference, tbh

Who do you think the NBA is targeting during AS weekend? Young guys with girlfriends? Yeah, there's a huge profit to be made from that target demo.

No, they're gonna go after families. Families that come in and spend on tickets and merch and other things.

A guy with a girlfriend is a bonus for them.

But honestly, outside of the french qt, you honestly think NO is vibrant? lol

Anyway, bro, spend your money however you want and keep your opinion on SA but guess what, there's a reason the Final Four came to SA four times. There's a reason so many fans come in from out of state to watch the AlamoBowl, there's a reason the dome hosts so many events that yearly brings people into the city who return.

But hey, you and your girl can chill wherever you like.

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Check your own post history. :rolleyes

Bro, you're the one making the claim, burden of proof is on you.

I live in San Antonio and love the place. I'm a Spurs season ticket holder and have been to dozens of events at the Alamodome. It's not hating on San Antonio to accept the reality that the NBA All-Star game is a pipe dream. When your potential bid starts with the fact that your NBA arena is unavailable, you're pretty well screwed.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. :toast

Mel_13
03-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Bro, you're the one making the claim, burden of proof is on you.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. :toast

lol burden of proof.

You're entitled to your dreams, I've said as much. You're the one that keeps trying to make a case for something that all relevant evidence argues against.

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Who do you think the NBA is targeting during AS weekend? Young guys with girlfriends? Yeah, there's a huge profit to be made from that target demo.

No, they're gonna go after families. Families that come in and spend on tickets and merch and other things.

A guy with a girlfriend is a bonus for them.

But honestly, outside of the french qt, you honestly think NO is vibrant? lol

Anyway, bro, spend your money however you want and keep your opinion on SA but guess what, there's a reason the Final Four came to SA four times. There's a reason so many fans come in from out of state to watch the AlamoBowl, there's a reason the dome hosts so many events that yearly brings people into the city who return.

But hey, you and your girl can chill wherever you like.

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 03:39 PM
lol burden of proof.

I know I never argued with you over this because never have the Spurs made their intentions known i don't believe.

You're entitled to your dreams, I've said as much. You're the one that keeps trying to make a case for something that all relevant evidence argues against.

The thing is, you argue evidence for criteria you've made up. Show me the NBA's criteria for picking a NBA team and if they match yours then you got me, otherwise...

Mel_13
03-10-2011, 03:40 PM
but guess what, there's a reason the Final Four came to SA four times.

And there are reasons why it hasn't been here since 2008. The NCAA has named the Final Four locations through 2016. It's coming to Texas in 2011 (Houston), 2014 (Arlington), and 2016 (Houston, again). Indy got it in 2010 and will get it again in 2015.

The NCAA has spoken quite clearly. It found San Antonio's bids wanting.

Those aren't opinions, those are facts.

Mel_13
03-10-2011, 03:42 PM
I know I never argued with you over this because never have the Spurs made their intentions known i don't believe.

Amnesia, I suppose.

The thing is, you argue evidence for criteria you've made up. Show me the NBA's criteria for picking a NBA team and if they match yours then you got me, otherwise...

The evidence is the sites chosen. It doesn't get any clearer than that.

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 03:43 PM
And there are reasons why it hasn't been here since 2008. The NCAA has named the Final Four locations through 2016. It's coming to Texas in 2011 (Houston), 2014 (Arlington), and 2016 (Houston, again). Indy got it in 2010 and will get it again in 2015.

The NCAA has spoken quite clearly. It found San Antonio's bids wanting.

Those aren't opinions, those are facts.

Yes, that's a different case altogether. The NCAA has criteria and that criteria excludes the Alamodome now. That's understandable.

Those criteria have nothing to do with the NBA and the ASG. The NCAA wants as many people it can get packed into these new football stadiums. The NBA is content with 18k arenas.

But my point was, the NCAA isn't returning to a city if it doesn't like it or isn't making money or getting complaints.

That was directed towards John and not you.

lefty
03-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Alamodome?

WTF

Mel_13
03-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Yes, that's a different case altogether. The NCAA has criteria and that criteria excludes the Alamodome now. That's understandable.

??

Really? Do tell.

The NCAA has criteria that precludes the selection of the Alamodome, yet San Antonio submitted bids for future events anyway?

Please...

MannyIsGod
03-10-2011, 03:48 PM
The NBA isn't bringing the ASG back to San Antonio. It doesn't make any sense.

crc21209
03-10-2011, 03:48 PM

Sup troll....

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Sup troll....

Hey buddy

crc21209
03-10-2011, 03:53 PM

A blow-up doll doesnt count as a girl....

crc21209
03-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Anyway, It would be awesome if they could pull it off because I could actually attend the events and everything now that I'm older. I was only 8 in 1996 :lol. But I highly doubt it happens...

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 03:57 PM
??

Really? Do tell.

The NCAA has criteria that precludes the selection of the Alamodome, yet San Antonio submitted bids for future events anyway?

Please...

Huh? I'm saying the Alamodome is not longer a viable candidate for the men's final four. That's understandable.

The NCAA wants newer venues that can hold more people.

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Hey buddy

:lol

There's only one Buddy.

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 03:58 PM
It doesn't make any sense.

I'd be interested in why you think that.

I honestly don't see what what would preclude it from happening.

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 03:59 PM

There's only one Buddy.

I think Mel is right in this argument, but you're still alright in my book cause you're a CoCo fan :toast

gospursgojas
03-10-2011, 05:05 PM
I can see it now...

Dunk contest...

"GRIFFIN THROWS THE BALL OFF THE CURTAIN!..."

tmtcsc
03-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Terrible investment.

You are kidding right ? Being sarcastic ? Because that is probably the most uninformed opinion I've read on here.

Besides hosting 2 NFL games and being a temporary home for the Spurs, the Alamodome has hosted numerous College football and high school games, an All-Star NBA game as well as many other events.

It has easily paid for itself and did so many years ago.

Cane
03-10-2011, 05:48 PM
It'd be fun if it happened but I'm not holding my breath especially with the renovating going on at MSG and a new arena being built in Brooklyn. After Orlando I think the ASG will be bound for NYC but then again those arenas may not be ready.

You are kidding right ? Being sarcastic ? Because that is probably the most uninformed opinion I've read on here.

Besides hosting 2 NFL games and being a temporary home for the Spurs, the Alamodome has hosted numerous College football and high school games, an All-Star NBA game as well as many other events.

It has easily paid for itself and did so many years ago.

And soon UTSA will be playing football games there.

Leonard Curse
03-10-2011, 05:54 PM

wouldnt talk about ugly city you live in a trash can my friend theres alot to do here my family lives in L.A its utter shit