PDA

View Full Version : Drama-free Spurs the pick to win it all

duncan228
03-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Drama-free Spurs the pick to win it all (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42002669/ns/sports-fan_zone/)
With Parker, Ginobili and Duncan, San Antonio will be too much for L.A.
Opinion
By JT the Brick
NBCSports.com contributor

The drama continues to intensify in a great NBA season as we get closer to the playoffs. Each team has a great storyline to follow, enough to make your head spin. But the one to watch is the team that dodgers drama the best.

This week has been dominated by the Miami Heat and their losing steak. Coach Erik Spoelstra admitted some players cried after losing at home to the Bulls last Sunday, and this South Beach soap opera has listeners flooding into my radio show slamming the "Big 3" for their underachieving ways.

The Lakers have been rolling since the All-Star break, winning eight straight as Phil Jackson appears to have awakened his roster as the postseason draws near. The two-time defending champs mailed in the first half of the season and seemed to care more about the All-Star parties in Hollywood instead of fighting for home-court advantage throughout the playoffs. But now the Lakers are rolling.

The Knicks purged most of their roster to get Carmelo Anthony, while the Jazz shipped Deron Williams to the Nets, fearing he would become a free agent after next season.

But despite all that, the Spurs are the team to beat and are my pick to win the title.

Yes, the Spurs' home loss to the Lakers — one in which San Antonio trailed by 30 points for most of the contest — was shocking. For a Gregg Popovich-coached team, this was unacceptable. Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson enjoyed sending the message to Spurs fans that they would be ready when the playoffs begin.

But as of Wednesday night, San Antonio leads Dallas by six games and L.A. by seven in the loss column in the Western Conference standings. The Spurs' last three losses came against the Lakers, Grizzlies and Bulls — the three hottest teams in the NBA. San Antonio doesn't need to panic, despite looking lazy on defense and stagnant on offense.

Don't forget what got the Spurs to the best record in the league and complete control of their destiny. Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker have combined for 10 titles. They lead their teammates on and off the court.

Keep reading... (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42002669/ns/sports-fan_zone/)

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42002669/ns/sports-fan_zone/

tdunk21
03-10-2011, 09:04 PM
:toast

Crookshanks
03-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Great article! I concur!

kamikazi_player
03-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Don't agree if they can win it all, but great article nonetheless. :toast

ducks
03-10-2011, 09:10 PM
be quiet do not tell rascal

rmt
03-10-2011, 09:13 PM
RJ comes off the bench?

spurs1990
03-10-2011, 09:16 PM
He's got some big ones to state this after that resounding annihilation last Sunday.

Spurs and Mavs fan
03-10-2011, 09:48 PM
The vast majority of people in sports media are idiots, but this guy is a rare levelheaded type.

Spurs and Mavs fan
03-10-2011, 09:52 PM
He's got some big ones to state this after that resounding annihilation last Sunday.

That actually indicates someone who thinks logically and whose opinion is not swayed instantly - "Spurs are going to win the title..........Spurs are going to lose in the first round!....oh wait......Spurs win it anyway"

DieHardSpursFan1537
03-10-2011, 09:56 PM
I've never read many NBC articles, but a great read! Thanks 228!

Budkin
03-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Still fucking ridiculous that we were down that much to the Lakers. Every time I'm reminded of that I want to :bang

4RINGS
03-10-2011, 10:51 PM
I was at the Sunday game vs. the Lakers...too many Laker fans in the house. But, I know we can take them out in 7 games if we are healthy.

ohmwrecker
03-10-2011, 11:16 PM
I can't take anyone whose nom de plume is JT the brick seriously.

Sean Cagney
03-10-2011, 11:19 PM

That is one game, it happens to the best of them from time to time.

td4mvp3
03-10-2011, 11:19 PM
i read a lot of platitudes but not a lot of substance in the story, particularly how and why he thought duncan would come out of this crappy performance against the lakers that has happened the past 3 games.

Hoops Czar
03-10-2011, 11:31 PM
The vast majority of people in sports media are idiots, but this guy is a rare levelheaded type.

By levelheaded, you mean the sports media members who pick the Spurs.... right? The rest can suck a lemon because they just don't have a clue. How flattering.

TampaDude
03-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Of course we're going to win it all.

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

Baseline
03-11-2011, 01:00 AM
I appreciate the article, and I hope JT is right.

But seriously, the article reads like a 7th grade book report.

DrSteffo
03-11-2011, 03:32 AM
Spurs are obviously the best (check the win/loss column) but we won't beat the Fakers if our starters play on 50% of their capacity like they were stoned or something. I don't expect that to happen in the POs.

Giuseppe
03-11-2011, 06:14 AM
I appreciate the article, and I hope JT is right.

But seriously, the article reads like a 7th grade book report.

Base, yer two faces are adorable.

Blake
03-11-2011, 09:25 AM
I can't take anyone whose nom de plume is JT the brick seriously.

He was a former winner of jim rome's smack-off.

He's done pretty well for himself since those days of just being a caller to someone else's talk show.

That said, I think jts opinions are pretty generic and boring. Screaming doesn't make the opinions any more listenable.

Horse
03-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Oh so I guess cause the clippers beat boston the other night their better than the celtics too right? It was one fucking game. We beat them easy the first game in SA beat them again in la. But all that counts is they beat us sunday?

BlackBellamy
03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
"Ginobili is having his best season at the age of 33. He is averaging a career-high 17.8 points per game to go along with five assists per game."

ummm... '07-'08?

TDMVPDPOY
03-11-2011, 02:51 PM
premature ejaculation thread

just watch them jump when given the opportunity

VI_Massive
03-11-2011, 02:52 PM
This article is terrible! Sure, I want the Spurs to win too, but this guy's perspective is based on nothing concrete or objective.

I'm really not surprised he's a former sports talk radio caller. That's exactly what this article reads like.

slayermin
03-11-2011, 04:21 PM
J.T. is on at night on 760 here in SA and I heard him talk about this on Wednesday. He basically stated that he wasn't a Laker fan or a Spurs fan but he picks the Spurs to win it all. He told Looney, who is a Laker fan, that he wasn't going to like what he had to say.