PDA

View Full Version : Fabricio Oberto free agent

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Today the Power Foward or Center of the Argentinian National Team has paid his buyout (USD 850,000 aprox.) to Pamesa Valencia and is a free agent.

It is rumoured that he'll join an NBA team or a top European club.

Since he paid his buyout, it means he wants to play in the NBA. Surely he will talk with some GMs in the next weeks. If he doesn't get a deal, he'll look for another club in Europe.

TwoHandJam
06-02-2005, 02:42 PM
I really like this guy. He's really crafty and with his length he's a lot like a poor man's Horry. I wouldn't complain if we could get him here but I wouldn't sacrifice Scola to get him.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-02-2005, 02:52 PM
The rumours place him between Chicago, Sacramento, Charlotte, New Orleans or Atlanta. The Spurs would have to resign Scola and someone else to sign him, and I don't think that if he finally moves to the NBA it would be to have TMass minutes.

Mark in Austin
06-02-2005, 02:59 PM
If (Big if) the Spurs are intent on trading Rasho, and the MLE is split in two in the new CBA, Oberto would be a nice pickup with the smaller part of the MLE. Sign Scola with the larger portion.

Duncan,
Mohammed,
Scola,
Oberto, and
Horry if he re-signs

is a pretty stout 4-5 contingent. Plus Oberto is another player to come out of Magnano's motion offense. He knows how to pass.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-02-2005, 03:05 PM
If (Big if) the Spurs are intent on trading Rasho, and the MLE is split in two in the new CBA, Oberto would be a nice pickup with the smaller part of the MLE. Sign Scola with the larger portion.

Duncan,
Mohammed,
Scola,
Oberto, and
Horry if he re-signs

is a pretty stout 4-5 contingent. Plus Oberto is another player to come out of Magnano's motion offense. He knows how to pass.

If Manu, Scola, Oberto and even Magnano as a coach arrive at SA, prepare to suffer an Argentinian invasion to this forum and everything Spurs-related. :lol

Yes, he is a good passer for his size, has a good post play, his defence is very good (and not just zone, man to man too), has experience and is a very good team player. The negative side is his age, his height (which would lead into quite a few blocked shots), and his FT shooting (in the six years he has played in Spain his average was 48% from the FT line).

So yes, he would fit perfectly into the Spurs! :lol

RobinsontoDuncan
06-02-2005, 03:23 PM
who would want rasho, and who woulod we have to take to get him?

ChumpDumper
06-02-2005, 04:20 PM
who would want rashoTwo-thirds of the NBA.
who would want rasho, and who woulod we have to take to get him?There's the rub. You have to take back close to the same amount in salary unless the other team has cap space or a trade exception. When someone just says "Trade Rasho for an SF" it's not quite that simple. More than likely, more players would have to be included -- and the size and length of their contracts can become an issue.

The question isn't whether we could move Rasho if it came to that -- it's whether the Spurs would find a deal that works for them in return.

Seru Giran
06-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Oberto is all heart and as someone said he's a crafty player. He'd be an upgrade over Rasho IMO. Only knock on him is he's 30 years old.

http://www.fabrioberto.com/

Xolotl
06-02-2005, 04:29 PM
who would want rasho, and who woulod we have to take to get him?

I think alot of teams would want Rasho. Even if he's not the quickest defender he can still block/alter shots. And, you can't teach size

johndraegerhhs
06-02-2005, 05:20 PM
yea

hendrix
06-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Oberto is all heart and as someone said he's a crafty player. He'd be an upgrade over Rasho IMO. Only knock on him is he's 30 years old.

http://www.fabrioberto.com/

His defense is really good, and a kind of mini-Duncan (im not talking of the height people). But his place is not in San Antonio.

Solid D
06-02-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't think Pop is going to get rid of Rasho but you never know. When he's healthy, Rasho does the little things that Pop appreciates.

Oberto is a very good player but I don't think he would be interested in a Sean Marks type of role. He might end up in joining Chapu in Chicago or somewhere like Sacramento.

Solid D
06-02-2005, 05:45 PM
I still am bothered by Stephon Marbury's senseless chop-down on Oberto in the closing moments of the USA-Agentina Olympic game. It was totally unnecessary and breaking his hand like that knocked Oberto out of the Gold Medal game against the Italians.

SuperManu!!!
06-03-2005, 12:30 AM
I wish oberto goes to a crappy nba team....he would learn more than going to a team like SA. Although....it would be nice to see him here, I rather have scola, he haves a brighter future

TMTTRIO
06-03-2005, 01:04 AM
Interesting Pic there on his website:)
http://www.fabrioberto.com/multimedia/imagenes/imagen_03.jpg

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-03-2005, 04:35 AM
I know that Oberto stated that he has a massive respect for TD, as a player and as a person. I think Manu let Timmy know about this and that's why they salute each other that way after games.