PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

SenorSpur
06-02-2005, 02:39 PM
OK. Is it just me or did anyone else find the WCF locker room celebration and trophy presentation somewhat odd?

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that we're going to the finals and we have a chance for our 3rd championship in 7 years. But if I look at this from a novice perspective or someone who tuned in not knowing anything about basketball, I would have thought the Spurs just won the NBA crown and there were no games left to play.

I found the celebration to be a bit overhyped and NFL-like. I'm looking for the "big cigar" and I'm sure Tim and company are too. But hey, it definitely beats the alternative of going home.

NoMoneyDown
06-02-2005, 02:41 PM
???

They accomplished a major feat. I would think it odd if they didn't celebrate like that.

bigzak25
06-02-2005, 02:41 PM
they deserve to celebrate....i didn't think it was too much, but i was admittedly drunk and pretty happy at the time....

a couple days of rest and they'll get back to the business at hand.... :smokin

sa_butta
06-02-2005, 02:43 PM
I actually thought it wasnt enough, and damnit we have every right to celebrate we won the frickin West.

spurschick
06-02-2005, 02:48 PM
I thought that the celebration was more subdued than in 2003.

Tek_XX
06-02-2005, 03:28 PM
The Spurs aren't satisfied with the WCF, so i wouldn't worry. And really for them it's been there done this, they weren't celebrating that hard. They probably left for their plane right after that.

mrcoon29
06-02-2005, 03:30 PM
I thought it was appropriate. Plus, short and sweet and onto the Next round of business.

Xolotl
06-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Does anyone have a pic of that trophy? I thought it looked pretty nice, and would like to see it again.

spur219
06-02-2005, 03:34 PM
I actually saw the celebration very modest. They were celebrating but in a way that they know that it is not over and that this celebration was just a sample of what they can have if the work hard and win the Finals.

MiNuS
06-02-2005, 03:37 PM
do you go celebrating sex at 67 like you did at 16?

that's right!

sa_butta
06-02-2005, 03:39 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/spurs_360_050601.jpg
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/parker_180_050601.jpg

Xolotl
06-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks butta

Doesn't Stern usually hand out the trophy what happened?

Jimcs50
06-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Did you see how the Spurs reacted when they won? They did not run all over the court lifting their jerseys up, or thumping their chests. They went to each Phoenix player and coach and hugged them and even offered some words of encouragement or props for their play.

This team waited til they were in the lockerroom away from the Phoenix players and fans before acting a little crazy. They get a week off, they had a hard fought series, they deserved a little celebration. They can not take it for granted that they will win it all. They wanted to enjoy this accomplishment, because you never know if they will get to again.

carpe diem

sa_butta
06-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Did you see how the Spurs reacted when they won? They did not run all over the court lifting their jerseys up, or thumping their chests. They went to each Phoenix player and coach and hugged them and even offered some words of encouragement or props for their play.

This team waited til they were in the lockerroom away from the Phoenix players and fans before acting a little crazy. They get a week off, they had a hard fought series, they deserved a little celebration. They can not take it for granted that they will win it all. They wanted to enjoy this accomplishment, because you never know if they will get to again.

carpe diemUnlike some other teams that win one game in a seven game series and run around llike they just won the Championship.

SWC Bonfire
06-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Remember when Portland won in the second round of 1999 and set off fireworks and had a huge celebration? For winning the second round? I remember Bonzi Wells acting like an idiot.

I bet they were glad they got their celebrating in early.

Xolotl
06-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Remember when Portland won in the second round of 1999 and set off fireworks and had a huge celebration? For winning the second round? I remember Bonzi Wells acting like an idiot.

I bet they were glad they got their celebrating in early.

No, but I remember fireworks going off against Golden State in the Alamodome, and it set off the fire hoses :lol

SWC Bonfire
06-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Didn't the water cannons come on because of a malfunction? I thought that was a reg. season game.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Man, that pic makes Holt look like Woody Paige from Cold Pizza and Around the Horn. And why the hell wasn't Stern there to present it? It's not like he needed to get to Miami early because game five could be a clincher there. Or was he busy making no headway in the labor talks? I'm starting to get a little sick of Stern. He's no Bud Selig though.

The celebration was just fine, although I couldn't see Tim Duncan in any of the shots. He was probably laying down in an ice bin after this game.

Xolotl
06-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Didn't the water cannons come on because of a malfunction? I thought that was a reg. season game.

Yeah it was a reg. season game. I think it might have been the first game of the year. I thought it was b/c of the fireworks they went off.

I just remember being there and getting wet all of a sudden

SWC Bonfire
06-02-2005, 03:56 PM
We'll get to see David Stern talking through his gritted teeth and fake smile again this year for the Spurs-Pistons finals.

BillsCarnage
06-02-2005, 04:06 PM

carpe diem

Yup, it was good to see. The Spurs are a class organization and they know the WCF is not the trophy they covet. It got them to the finals, nothing more, nothing less.

samikeyp
06-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Yeah it was a reg. season game. I think it might have been the first game of the year. I thought it was b/c of the fireworks they went off.

it was the opening game of the 1994-95 season.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-02-2005, 04:13 PM
I thought Tim Duncan not being there was a little odd, and Pop and his staff were no where around.

It didn't look to me like the team was all that gleeful. Holt even had to tell them to reach up and touch the trophy when he had it above his head.

It all looked a little staged if you ask me. I don't think the team was all that hyped about it. The Spurs only focus on the final prize, as is appropriate for a team wanting and intending to win it all.

sa_butta
06-02-2005, 04:17 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/spurs_360_050601.jpg
Look at Horry, he is like "Whoopty doo, when
do we get the real trophy".
Ginobili looks like a kid in a candy store.

ducks
06-02-2005, 04:19 PM
holt said they was still work todo
holt has said this is the best spur team though!

bigbendbruisebrother
06-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Does anyone have a pic of that trophy? I thought it looked pretty nice, and would like to see it again.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050602/capt.pna13606020438.spurs_suns_pna136.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050602/capt.pna13806020439.spurs_suns_pna138.jpg

slayermin
06-02-2005, 04:45 PM
It's probably a good thing for the Spurs International fanbase to see Manu and TP with the Western Conf. trophy. It will build up excitement for the Finals and maybe increase the ratings in their respective countries.

But overall, I loved the toned down celebration. It's a great sign that the team is focused on winning it all.

TNT21
06-02-2005, 04:53 PM
I didn't think it was enough! If we would have been at home, there would have been confetti and baloons falling from the sky. Plus I think they aren't satisfied with just being the WC Champs, so maybe that's why it was kinda subdued!