PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Parker?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-12-2011, 12:22 PM
What happened to the awesome defensive performances night in and night out?

What happened to his consistent mid range jumper?

Was 2007-2008 Parker a complete aberration?
Did we see a glimpse of what Parker could become, or a big giant coincidence?

I have been waiting for Parker to assert himself and show us if 07-08 Parker still exists, and have maintained all season long that we need him if we want to win the championship this year.

Dex
03-12-2011, 12:27 PM
What happened to the awesome defensive performances night in and night out?

What happened to his consistent mid range jumper?

Was 2007-2008 Parker a complete aberration?
Did we see a glimpse of what Parker could become, or a big giant coincidence?

I have been waiting for Parker to assert himself and show us if 07-08 Parker still exists, and have maintained all season long that we need him if we want to win the championship this year.

I feel like Tony has regressed on his jumper. If you look at the shot charts, he's not shooting terribly from mid-range, but he hardly ever does it anymore; it's pretty much a last option in plays.

I know the Spurs systematically try to avoid long twos, but when Parker was beasting in 2007-2008, he was going to that shot with regularity and having great success with it.

Hitting a few jumpers from mid-range only opened up his ability to drive, but it's a weapon that he hardly seems to use anymore.

Spursfan092120
03-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Tony shoots when he has to. It's been more important for him to be a slasher and facilitator than a shooter. We have plenty of shooters. The guy's been averaging over 20 a game since coming back from his injury..let's give him a little slack.

Kori Ellis
03-12-2011, 12:52 PM
The year that Parker was "beasting" was 08-09, not 07-08. (Not that he was bad in 07-08.)

Mugen
03-12-2011, 01:06 PM
maybe you mean 07-08 Tony Parker in the Suns series, absolute beast. But Kori is right, 09 Parker was a monster just because he had to carry the load without Manu.

That said, i'm extremely happy with TP's play this year. Hes had his ups and downs like all of our players but his passing/playmaking has improved and his finishing much better around the rim than last year when he was hurt most of the time.

He's regressed a little bit on his midrange J but like someone said, we need him to be more of a slaher this year anyways with our abundance of 3pt shooters and Manu not slashing as much. The midrange J will be extremely important in the playoffs though against teams like DAL and LA.

His defense has also regressed but with as much as he has to do on this team, i'll cut him slack. Very solid year from TP.

Kori Ellis
03-12-2011, 01:11 PM
He might be slightly regressed on his mid-range jumper because he's been practicing his threes more (if that makes sense). Defensively, he usually kicks things up late in the season and in the playoffs. Overall, he's been great this year though -- a very steady year.

Cane
03-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Tony Parker doesn't get as many minutes or FGA as he used to but he has picked up other areas of his game like steals and has shot a few more 3 pointers than usual. The offense is also different and the Big 3 + roleplayers are actually healthy. Still he's putting up a pretty solid PER (20.7) which would basically tie as his third best from that stat, FWIW. This is his second highest FG% year also.

Hopefully Tony Parker and the Big 3 can continue to amp up their game come playoffs time especially since they'll get more minutes and opportunities. Even though the Spurs have been winning at an incredible pace; I get the feeling that the big 3 are coasting to get a lot of that done which they should be.

spurs10
03-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Tony has been a great leader and facilitator this season. He's been getting everyone involved because he has more "weapons" this year. Might not look as productive, but it has a lot to do with our great success so far. Wait for the playoffs and he'll probably kick into yet a higher gear. TP has beeen badass!

Dex
03-12-2011, 01:29 PM
The year that Parker was "beasting" was 08-09, not 07-08. (Not that he was bad in 07-08.)

I stand corrected. :bang Damn seasons go by too fast.

jjktkk
03-12-2011, 01:34 PM
His jumper is off this year, but he still has his quicks and still is getting in the paint and finishing, so not worried at all. The Spurs got enough firepower as far as 3 point shooters.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-12-2011, 01:34 PM
hyeah i mean tto say 08-09 as well

My main issue is the consistency with his jumper. I understand he wants to facilitate, and we have plenty of shooters, etc, but the problem is those shooters will probably miss in the playoffs (Bonner, Matt) and Parker has almost always had to resort to jump shots to get us out of playoff holes the last few years.

I am worried he just wont be able to flip the switch and start shooting quality mid rangers when the playoffs start. In fact, his whole form is all kinds of fucked up right now. If you notice when he takes a mid range jumper, his whole body stiffens up in a line, and moves away from the ball and basket. He starts to move away and fall backwards before his release is even finished. It used to be on occasion a year ago or so, now he does this every time.

How has his jumper regressed so much? I guess we were lucky to get what we got in 07-09

Solid D
03-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Yeah, his best season was 2008-09. He had more of everything in 2008-09 because he stepped up when Manu missed half the season.

Lately, Parker hasn't been as quick on defense but I've chalked that up to his calf strain. Who knows what else has going on with him after 65 games? He started off the season in the top 20 in steals, but as the season has worn on, he has leveled-out a bit. His last 4 games he's averaging 2.0 SPG, though.

It's interesting that you posted this after he shot fairly well from the perimeter against the Kings (5-7 and 2-2 from the arc). I think it has been Parker's best year in his over-all play and feel for the game. It is also one of his best 3-point shooting years. He's worked on it and as a career .315 shooter from the arc, he's shooting .380 this year. He really only has had one decent 3-point shooting year since Pop trimmed his wings on shooting them. That was in their last championship run of 2006-07 (.395 with only 15 makes).

He is a very accomplished passer, now, out of screen/rolls. He's looking to assist on a more regular basis. In fact, I wish he would look to pass more often. As we know by now, the Spurs are undefeated (29-0) when TP has 7 or more assists. In their 11 losses, he's averaging 3.5 APG. In their wins, he's averaging 7.2.

He has better options for scoring than he has had the past several years. Tony did a poor job of seeing and finding open men vs. the Kings. But over all, I think this is TP's best year. When he plays poorly, he impacts the success of the Spurs much more than if Tim or Manu have a bad game. The stats bear that out.

jjktkk
03-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Heading into the playoffs, I'm alot more concerned with Ginoboli wearing down and the Spurs fronline than Parker.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Yeah, his best season was 2008-09. He had more of everything in 2008-09 because he stepped up when Manu missed half the season.

Lately, Parker hasn't been as quick on defense but I've chalked that up to his calf strain. Who knows what else has going on with him after 65 games? He started off the season in the top 20 in steals, but as the season has worn on, he has leveled-out a bit. His last 4 games he's averaging 2.0 SPG, though.

It's interesting that you posted this after he shot fairly well from the perimeter against the Kings (5-7 and 2-2 from the arc). I think it has been Parker's best year in his over-all play and feel for the game. It is also one of his best 3-point shooting years. He's worked on it and as a career .315 shooter from the arc, he's shooting .380 this year. He really only has had one decent 3-point shooting year since Pop trimmed his wings on shooting them. That was in their last championship run of 2006-07 (.395 with only 15 makes).

He is a very accomplished passer, now, out of screen/rolls. He's looking to assist on a more regular basis. In fact, I wish he would look to pass more often. As we know by now, the Spurs are undefeated (29-0) when TP has 7 or more assists. In their 11 losses, he's averaging 3.5 APG. In their wins, he's averaging 7.2.

He has better options for scoring than he has had the past several years. Tony did a poor job of seeing and finding open men vs. the Kings. But over all, I think this is TP's best year. When he plays poorly, he impacts the success of the Spurs much more than if Tim or Manu have a bad game. The stats bear that out.

Good take. And back in January I still thought Parker was having his best season ever.

But something about his jumper is just wrong to me.

And I fully believe that he will have to make that on a regular basis when/if we play the Lakers in the playoffs. It just has to happen.

Solid D
03-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Good take. And back in January I still thought Parker was having his best season ever.

But something about his jumper is just wrong to me.

And I fully believe that he will have to make that on a regular basis when/if we play the Lakers in the playoffs. It just has to happen.

Amen! If the Lakers are going to collapse the paint like they did in the Sunday Massacre, Parker has to take and hit what he's given.

DesignatedT
03-12-2011, 02:47 PM
He isn't needed to be that aggressive and assertive on offense this season. If he wanted to he could average 20+ ppg a game... is that what you are worried about?

moisaenz
03-12-2011, 03:23 PM
ANother paranoid thread after the laker game.....There is no need for parker to go crazy on offense like he used to... Gary neal has a better midrange and three point game than he does... G. Hill is another weapon...

TMTTRIO
03-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Not worried about Tony at all. His three point shot has improved greatly and he's still being very successful at getting to the rim and scoring. If there's one I'm more concerned about it's Manu. Manu has no offensive game lately (except for a game here and there) and his three point shot has been MIA for a while now (3-7 last night). Even his FT shooting is going down hill.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Amen! If the Lakers are going to collapse the paint like they did in the Sunday Massacre, Parker has to take and hit what he's given.

Yeah they have been using the same strategy against us since 2003.

Brazil
03-12-2011, 11:43 PM
I agree regarding his JS, for the rest this is IMO the most acomplished season of TP's career.

moisaenz
03-12-2011, 11:49 PM
He is just coasting... let it rest..

DirkISaCocLuvinPuSSy
03-13-2011, 12:21 AM
yea cuz chill, you'll see it in the first round

Fireball
03-13-2011, 02:29 AM
He shoots +50% overall and has added the corner 3 ... nuff said

03-13-2011, 02:46 AM
wth do you guys want from parker? he is having one of his best years.

bigdog
03-13-2011, 04:52 AM
I think Parker is doing fine. He's found the corner 3, which is nice, and he's finishing around the rim again. He can still hit the midrange J off the dribble. He'll be fine.

Holden_Caulfield
03-13-2011, 05:12 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/071/874/eb_2_crop_340x234.jpg?1290045275

ginobili fan
03-13-2011, 05:28 AM
Even though I wish Parker was a beast ala 2008-2009, it's quite impossible now or unnecessary because of all the shooters we have:
Manu can kick that sweet fadeway mid range,
Hill has improved as a shooter ,
and Neal is our x-factor too.
So as well Parker continues doing his job at distributing the ball and finding the open man,
and he finishes well in the paint I'm good with that.

ego
03-13-2011, 11:31 AM
You can forget the mid range jumper, now TP is a beast with the corner 3 (4/5) in the last three games.
For the season at 3 : TP 0.385 > Manu 0.345 ! What happened to Parker ?

TMTTRIO
03-13-2011, 12:17 PM
You can forget the mid range jumper, now TP is a beast with the corner 3 (4/5) in the last three games.

That's what I was thinking. Tony has become more consistent with his 3pt shot than Manu. In fact I'm starting to wonder why Manu is left on the floor a lot without Tim or Tony. He can't consistently be counted on to score anymore like he used to and the Spurs seem to really go into droughts during those times.

Pauleta14
03-13-2011, 01:35 PM

You can't compare, Tony hasn't taken enough shots + he doesn't have an "off the drible" 3 pts shot that Manu has...

Manu just doesn't care about his stats a goes nuts sometimes taking hill advise 3s that kills his %, but we need these 3s (off the drible) in money time, they are harder to defend than the corner 3s...

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-13-2011, 01:44 PM
This has been Tony's most complete season ever...IMO.

The thing that impresses me is that he trusts his teammates more than ever and has facilitated the offense extremely well. I used to get the impression that the only two guys he ever wanted to pass to were Timmy and Manu. Now he believes in the rest of the roster and it shows.

He'll play D when it's necessary.

I give TP's season major props at this point.

Chomag
03-13-2011, 02:15 PM
TP seems to be having a great season. Only gripe I have with him is at times he has blinders and wont pass when there is an open man, but thats just Tony for you :lol

dbestpro
03-13-2011, 02:16 PM
All you need to know is that the Spurs have not lost this season when TP has 7 assists or more.

When the Spurs move the ball they will not lose, even to the Lakers. Ball movement begins and ends with TP. So, from that perspective, his ability to score is not as important as it is to find the open man.

Don't get me wrong. We still need his points to keep defenses honest., but it is passing to the open man that makes the Spurs the best team in th NBA.