PDA

View Full Version : Life is sweet in Big D

SenorSpur
06-02-2005, 03:10 PM
As a Spurs fan that resides in Mavs land, one of my sick pastimes is standing by and witnessing the annual Mavs playoff meltdowns (what can I say). It's such fun to see the look on Cuban's face following those series-clinching losses. I also love to listen as he spins his annual, bullshit, PR, state-of-the-team speeches, filled with phrases such as "I like this team the way it is", "we're headed in the right direction" and "if I had to do it over again, I would make the same decision".

Aside from watching their over-hyped expectations go "up in playoff smoke", I also enjoy hearing the uproar that usually emerges on local talk radio following these playoff meltdowns. The fact that my Spurs are advancing to the NBA finals, is the ultimate "egg on face" that is as humiliating for the Mavs as that Tracy McGrady poster dunk was on the noggin' of Shawn Bradley.

For now, the inevitable second-guessing on the Mavs future is a reminder to the gap between elite (Spurs) and above-average (Mavs). To which, I offer the following tidbits from metroplex talk radio heads and callers alike:

"The Mavs should not feel bad because Amare Stoudamire torched the Spurs defense too"
"How come the Mavs don't get a Bruce Bowen-type defender"
"The Spurs play ball the right way"
"Defense - not offense - wins in this league"
"TD is the elite superstar that Dirk is not"
"Bring back Nick Van Exel"
"We need a Malik Rose/Eduardo Najera-type of player"
"Where was Michael Finley?"
"It would have been interesting to see the Mavs meet the Spurs in the WCF"
"THe Mavs are closer to challenging the Spurs than the Suns"
"The Suns are closer to challenging the Spurs than the Mavs"

It's so hilarious. One thing is certain though, the Spurs are the envy of all Texas teams and the entire NBA.

Time to hang another banner in the SBC. Are you with me my brothas and sistas?

SenorSpur
06-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Oh, I forget one more:

"If Dirk had not gotten hurt in the 2003 WCF, the Mavs win the game and advance to the finals"

BillsCarnage
06-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Some great quotes there from Mavs fans. This board is pretty mellow compared to the fickle fans at Mavtalk.com. Heck, they even blocked registration over there.

A couple of good signs from AWA during the Suns/Mavs series
"Mark Cuban, the most generous man in the world. Thanks for #13"
"Cuban, thanks for the early Xmas present"

I enjoy watching his face too when they lose or a call goes against them. Classic.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-02-2005, 04:10 PM
You know, I'm used to seeing billionaires with horrible hair (Gates, Trump, etc.) but at least they look like they shower. Mark Cuban just looks plain dirty whenever I see him at those games. It takes a lot to out-jackass Jerry Jones for the title of Dopiest Owner in Dallas, but he does it with such flare.

adrienne
06-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Wow, and you're not even playing the Mavs right now. Hell, you didn't even play them at ALL these playoffs....man.

BillsCarnage
06-02-2005, 04:13 PM
:spin :spin :spin :spin :spin

jalbre6
06-02-2005, 04:16 PM
You know, I'm used to seeing billionaires with horrible hair (Gates, Trump, etc.) but at least they look like they shower. Mark Cuban just looks plain dirty whenever I see him at those games. It takes a lot to out-jackass Jerry Jones for the title of Dopiest Owner in Dallas, but he does it with such flare.

Dopiest owner (not worst dressed or stupidest on camera) in Dallas is Tom Hicks. He's still paying A-Rod $6M a year and Chan Ho Park $15M. And don't even get me started on hockey.

50 cent
06-02-2005, 04:50 PM
I live in Dallas too and enjoy the annual expectations, then devastation. This year's theme was, "We play Defense, watch out Spurs." I told all of my Mav friends, "Same song, different verse." It is pleasureable seeing my annual prognostication verified as they crawl back into their usual hole right about now. I can't wait for the same thing next year.

SWC Bonfire
06-02-2005, 04:53 PM
I can commiserate, I used to live in the metroplex.

When you came across another Spurs fan, it was sort of like two christians meeting each other back in the days of the roman empire and drawing half a fish in the sand. A GO SPURS GO and a head nod was all that was required.

PM5K
06-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Dallas is headed in the right direction...

ShoogarBear
06-02-2005, 06:40 PM
When you came across another Spurs fan, it was sort of like two christians meeting each other back in the days of the roman empire A funny analogy, since you know who Cuban reminds me of:

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/dreamworks_skg/gladiator/joaquin_phoenix/gladiator3.jpg