PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant’s show also reveals harsh truth

Spur_Fanatic
03-14-2011, 12:46 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/13/2112739/kobe-bryants-show-also-reveals.html#

I kinda gree with it.

BoricuaCJA
03-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Already has been posted by someone. I can't remember in which thread though.

I think Duncan228 did.

DazedAndConfused
03-14-2011, 01:20 AM
It will take Kobe retiring from the game before people begin to realize and understand what a remarkable talent he is.

silverblk mystix
03-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Good article...someone not ridin kobe's nutz for a change.

jjktkk
03-14-2011, 01:43 AM
Its just the law of averages. Kobe's still a great player, but father time conquers all. Will be interesting come playoff time if Kobe will chuck the triangle and go 1 on 5 when a game is tight, trying to show everyone he still gots it.

greyforest
03-14-2011, 01:52 AM
Will be interesting come playoff time if Kobe will chuck the triangle and go 1 on 5 when a game is tight, trying to show everyone he still gots it.

That's what I'm hoping for :toast

Lakers are scary when Kobe passes the ball.

midnightpulp
03-14-2011, 02:05 AM
It will take Kobe retiring from the game before people begin to realize and understand what a remarkable talent he is.

Perhaps the most fundamentally sound perimeter player to ever lace them up, and indeed a remarkable player, just not Top 5 of all-time remarkable. Go ahead and cite rings and I will tell you they are irrelevant. Rings are a team accomplishment.

It would just be nice and a refreshing change of pace from the constant Kobe cocksucking by the mainstream media and his fans if they were more honest about his career, the faults in his game, the fact that this supposed Jordan incarnate has never dominated a Finals series, and the good fortune he's had to play with the best bigmen/frontline in the league in all of his championship runs.

All of you are telling us the Lakers can't be beat because of their frontline, and theoretically, you're right. But if the Lakers do indeed hoist number 16 come June, you'll once again retroactively make it about Bryant, continuing the kind of myth-making this article talks about.

DazedAndConfused
03-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Perhaps the most fundamentally sound perimeter player to ever lace them up, and indeed a remarkable player, just not Top 5 of all-time remarkable. Go ahead and cite rings and I will tell you they are irrelevant. Rings are a team accomplishment.

It would just be nice and a refreshing change of pace from the constant Kobe cocksucking by the mainstream media and his fans if they were more honest about his career, the faults in his game, the fact that this supposed Jordan incarnate has never dominated a Finals series, and the good fortune he's had to play with the best bigmen/frontline in the league in all of his championship runs.

All of you are telling us the Lakers can't be beat because of their frontline, and theoretically, you're right. But if the Lakers do indeed hoist number 16 come June, you'll once again retroactively make it about Bryant, continuing the myth-making that this article talks about.

When he retires he will go down as 1b.) to Jordan's 1a.).

Rings are not the whole story. The bottom line is after this many years in the league, he is still the measuring stick upon which every perimeter player measures themselves against.

midnightpulp
03-14-2011, 02:14 AM
When he retires he will go down as 1b.) to Jordan's 1a.).

Rings are not the whole story. The bottom line is after this many years in the league, he is still the measuring stick upon which every perimeter player measures themselves against.

No. And have you no argument to back that up. I know it and you know it. Unless Bryant goes on a statistical tear over the next couple of years, he will never be Jordan's defacto equal, which is what this 1a, 1b nonsense is suggesting.

And what does the measuring stick argument prove other than he's the best perimeter player of his era?

cobbler
03-14-2011, 02:22 AM
No. And have you no argument to back that up. I know it and you know it. Unless Bryant goes on a statistical tear over the next couple of years, he will never be Jordan's defacto equal, which is what this 1a, 1b nonsense is suggesting.

And what does the measuring stick argument prove other than he's the best perimeter player of his era?

How about this argument:

"I hope I have no regrets about coming back this year. When I saw how Kobe was struggling physically last year, Fish [Derek Fisher] was getting older," and then he stops himself and brings the conversation back to Bryant.

"Kobe was really hurt; people don't give him enough credit. He's a remarkable person, remarkable."

"Do you like him?" I ask.

"It's not about liking him," he says. "It's about admiring his courage. There's only one individual I know that's like that, and that's Michael Jordan.

"Kobe has patterned himself after Michael, and there are a lot of identical things there, but it's one thing to hope to be like him, it's another thing to be like him."

And it's 17. 16 is alreafy in the trophy case. Nice of you to finally get off your 11 rant and recognize though.

midnightpulp
03-14-2011, 02:32 AM
How about this argument:

"I hope I have no regrets about coming back this year. When I saw how Kobe was struggling physically last year, Fish [Derek Fisher] was getting older," and then he stops himself and brings the conversation back to Bryant.

"Kobe was really hurt; people don't give him enough credit. He's a remarkable person, remarkable."

"Do you like him?" I ask.

"It's not about liking him," he says. "It's about admiring his courage. There's only one individual I know that's like that, and that's Michael Jordan.

"Kobe has patterned himself after Michael, and there are a lot of identical things there, but it's one thing to hope to be like him, it's another thing to be like him."

And it's 17. 16 is alreafy in the trophy case. Nice of you to finally get off your 11 rant and recognize though.

Those quotes (from Jerry West?) don't prove anything other than showing one person's opinion of Bryant's "courage."

Tell me how Kobe is "1b" or even the best since Jordan when:

"There really isn’t any diplomatic way to this: Tim Duncan’s playoff performances essentially run circles over Kobe Bryant’s."

"Not only has Tim Duncan been better than Kobe Bryant during his entire career, one can only wonder: were we wrong in selecting Kobe Bryant as the player of the decade? It would sure seem as such."

http://www.warriorsworld.net/2011/02...-debate-close/

Jordan statistically dominated his era. No other player in 90s "ran circles around his playoff performances," so tell me how you're supposed to construct a "1b" argument when Bryant hasn't even been the dominant player of his era?

Now go ahead and invoke the qualitative "watch the game," "will to win," "killer instinct," argument. On that point, Duncan is one of those players who are more than their stats, as well, because of his great defense.

cobbler
03-14-2011, 02:38 AM
Those quotes (from Jerry West?) don't prove anything other than showing one person's opinion of Bryant's "courage."

Tell me how Kobe is "1b" or even the best since Jordan when:

"There really isn’t any diplomatic way to this: Tim Duncan’s playoff performances essentially run circles over Kobe Bryant’s."

"Not only has Tim Duncan been better than Kobe Bryant during his entire career, one can only wonder: were we wrong in selecting Kobe Bryant as the player of the decade? It would sure seem as such."

http://www.warriorsworld.net/2011/02...-debate-close/

Jordan statistically dominated his era. No other player in 90s "ran circles around his playoff performances," so tell me how you're supposed to construct a "1b" argument when Bryant has even been the dominant player of his era?

Now go ahead and invoke the qualitative "watch the game," "will to win," "killer instinct," argument. On that point, Duncan is one of those players who are more than their stats, as well, because of his great defense.

I dont compare eras. I don't think Kobe is the GOAT. I also don't think MJ is either. But that is just my opinion. You could make a list a mile long on criteria and still would never get a concensus.

Ohhhh.... and by the way. The quotes above are from Phil. Yesterday. But hey, what we he know about bball or either of the two players.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq115/cobblerphoto/ShittyLakerLife.jpg

midnightpulp
03-14-2011, 02:43 AM
I dont compare eras. I don't think Kobe is the GOAT. I also don't think MJ is either. But that is just my opinion. You could make a list a mile long on criteria and still would never get a concensus.

Ohhhh.... and by the way. The quotes above are from Phil. Yesterday. But hey, what we he know about bball or either of the two players.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq115/cobblerphoto/ShittyLakerLife.jpg

Don't you think there's a slight possibility of a coach being biased for a player on his team?

When Phil was removed from the Lakers in '05, he wrote an entire book that bashed Bryant. So which Phil is right?

And I commend you for not basing all-time rankings on rings. I like your number 1 and 2 of Wilt and Oscar. You might actually be right, but sadly, we can never have an honest discussion about greatest players, especially in the media, because the politically correct way to measure a player these days is how many championships they've won. Considering that basketball is an 8 to 10 man deep sport, I find that illogical.

midnightpulp
03-14-2011, 02:45 AM
Lol. I missed the pic in my reply. Well done.

The goods.

cobbler
03-14-2011, 02:51 AM
Don't you think there's a slight possibility of a coach being biased for a player on his team?

When Phil was removed from the Lakers in '05, he wrote an entire book that bashed Bryant. So which Phil is right?

And I commend you for not basing all-time rankings on rings. I like your number 1 and 2 of Wilt and Oscar. You might actually be right, but sadly, we can never have an honest discussion about greatest players, especially in the media, because the politically correct way to measure a player these days is how many championships they've won. Considering that basketball is an 8 to 10 man deep sport, I find that illogical.

As do I. And I also find it illogical to measure based solely on stats. Stats have never told the whole story. Not even close. Rings are certainly a factor but a lot of that is just luck. I know a lot of the stat boys mock me but I do place a lot of value on the intangibles such as work ethic, desire, consistency, longevity, and just plain being a winner.

midnightpulp
03-14-2011, 02:55 AM
As do I. And I also find it illogical to measure based solely on stats. Stats have never told the whole story. Not even close. Rings are certainly a factor but a lot of that is just luck. I know a lot of the stat boys mock me but I do place a lot of value on the intangibles such as work ethic, desire, consistency, longevity, and just plain being a winner.

So do I. Although consistency and longevity can be measured statistically.

elemento
03-14-2011, 02:56 AM
MJ 1a and Kobe 1b? :lmao :lmao

Only if 1a means GOAT and 1b means GOAT of the sidekicks

Beau
03-14-2011, 03:11 AM
I saw this Elvis impersonator one time that I could have sworn was the real thing...

Cry Havoc
03-14-2011, 09:05 AM
When he retires he will go down as 1b.) to Jordan's 1a.)

:lmao

Giuseppe
03-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Pierce keeps backing up & Perkins keeps getting injured & traded and Kobe will leave Jordan, where he found him.

Cry Havoc
03-14-2011, 09:13 AM
and Kobe will leave Jordan, where he found him.

As the GoAT and the man people look to when they talk about NBA Finals dominance?

Yep. Kobe's definitely leaving Jordan up on that pedestal, way, way out of reach.

Giuseppe
03-14-2011, 09:16 AM
As the GoAT and the man people look to when they talk about NBA Finals dominance?

Yep. Kobe's definitely leaving Jordan up on that pedestal, way, way out of reach.

Perhaps, but, Jordan is stuck at 6. Kobe is at 5, and just a little over the hill. A lot of time for Odom/Bynum/Gasol to keep Kobe playin' in June(s).

Cry Havoc
03-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Perhaps, but, Jordan is stuck at 6. Kobe is at 5, and just a little over the hill. A lot of time for Odom/Bynum/Gasol to keep Kobe playin' in June(s).

So you expect Kobe to surpass Jordan's dominance of the game by coat tailing.

At least you admit it. :lol

Giuseppe
03-14-2011, 09:34 AM
So you expect Kobe to surpass Jordan's dominance of the game by coat tailing.

At least you admit it. :lol

Yeah, I don't give a shit how he climbs over Jordan. When it was Jordan 6-3 all "we" cared about was the raw number. Now that's it's 6-5 "you're" recalculating the cyphers in order to rewrite protocol.

Uh, uh. No. The raw number was fine at 6-3. It's fine at 6-5, and go forth with the exact same standards & practices.

namlook
03-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Go ahead and cite rings and I will tell you they are irrelevant. Rings are a team accomplishment.

Rings are not irrelevant. If they were Bill Russell wouldn't even be ranked in the top 25.