PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan Spurring San Antonio to greatness....again

SPURSCHAMPS
06-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Duncan spurring San Antonio to greatness ... again

How many here say the NBA has become too reliant upon selfish me-firsters, who wouldn't know a team concept if it climbed in the limo with them?
All those in favor, say aye. All those opposed, say Tim Duncan.

He's the one in his third NBA Finals in seven years.

The lights of the cameras and the verbiage of talk show hosts have largely been elsewhere this season. On the Lakers, with or without Phil Jackson. On woes in New York and brawls in Detroit and suspensions in Indiana and MVP debates between a guard in Phoenix and a cement truck in Miami, and Larry Brown's travel plans.

But it's June, and here come the San Antonio Spurs again. Here comes Tim Duncan.

Let us review the past few days in the life of Duncan. When the Spurs lost Game 4 against Phoenix, Duncan scored 15 points, grabbed 16 rebounds, and berated himself for having blown his team's chances. He particularly hated missing nine free throws.

For two days, he smoldered. If he were a volcano, flumes of smoke would have been wafting from the crater.

" I haven't talked to him for two days," coach Gregg Popovich would say in a press conference. "I just leave him alone in those situations. … He doesn't need anybody to talk to him. Especially a coach."

On Wednesday night, the Spurs finished off the Suns in Game 5. Duncan scored 31 points, had 15 rebounds, and missed one free throw. Better, he nodded. Better.

"I just don't like playing bad games," he said afterward.

So the NBA Finals are stuck with the Spurs again. Some might view it that way, anyway.

How are the Spurs supposed to pad their Nielsens? They are not headline hounds, quote machines or big city celebrities. They are nearly impossible to hate. They don't even have a woman driver.

But they have defense with a long reach, and a coach with a long name.

And they have Duncan. The superstar who always seems to be on the back row.

He is the antidote to virtually every bad rap on the NBA.

Too much irresponsibility? Look at Tim Duncan.

Too few players who have taken the trouble to develop complete games? See Tim Duncan.

Lots of guys who act big, talk brashly, but don't have a championship ring to their name? Not Tim Duncan.

A shortage of accountability? Tim Duncan bleeds it.

"His ultimate goal is always winning, never an ulterior motive," Phoenix' Steve Nash told the media after Duncan helped push the Suns into summer hiatus. "I think that's very admirable in our business today."

Duncan, in his press conference, pondered whether taking so much responsibility as leader of the Spurs drives his game, or weighs it down.

"I think," he said, "I can make an argument for a little bit of both."

That's Duncan. Reasoned. Balanced. Never a bubble off of plumb. It is impossible to imagine him ever charging into the stands after a fan.

For that matter, it is impossible to imagine a fan ever hurling a beer cup at Duncan. Even a drunk one.

Sooner or later, the Eastern Conference will elect its representatives, Pistons or Heat, and they will have to deal with the Spurs, who have never lost the NBA Finals. Who somehow stay on the fringe of the public's attention span, but keep showing up in the last round.

Dominance in a whisper, but how do you do that?

"David Robinson and Tim Duncan. You don't have to say anything else," Popovich answered, admitting his good fortune to have had such classy, talented, unassuming aircraft carriers.

"What we have done really well is, we haven't screwed it up."

Mike Lopresti writes for Gannett News Service

Dingle Barry
06-02-2005, 06:26 PM
fuggin awesome article

ZStomp
06-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Link???

adidas11
06-02-2005, 10:09 PM
I'll be more impressed when he win 3 titles in a row.