PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Get No Respect in Power Polls

Calispursfan11
03-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Spurs are at least five games ahead of the closest competition, but are behind the Lakers in an astounding number of recent NBA Power Polls. Just goes to show the lack of respect and rampant Laker homer-dome out there.

For example - see:

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

Kobe is 32 and has logged more seasons than most guards his age. This is the time when wear and tear starts to permanently slow people down, and Kobe will be no exception. As a result, if the Lakers don't win this season, they will not have another shot in the Kobe era wihout adding more significant talent.

honestfool84
03-14-2011, 02:27 PM
except of course at NBA.com: http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/

doldrums
03-14-2011, 02:38 PM
I don't think that Hollinger's Poll cares about respect, it works off formulas and it has them #3 plus it places greater emphasis on recent games. Probably right , in my mind, as they are not playing better ball than LA or Chicago. But what's the difference, this isn't College Football, it will all be settled in the playoffs. Plus, I think the Spurs enjoy staying beneath the radar.

polandprzem
03-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Orl vs Suns

yesterdays game

JVG named top contenders - LA, Boston, Miami, and you have to count San Antonio in

But he is not very high on Spurs and not just him, it seems like all basketball world in not so high on the spurs.

1. they are older the last year
2. They do not have a guy who is 'the guy'
3. They are small, LA are big and big wins in the playoffs

Also many spurs fans doubt their team. They doubt the spurs can beat those LA team or go and win 4 tough series when they simply has troubles putting teams away and have troubles against teams like Memphis.
And only their shooting overcoming them being careless and lack of defense. Well lack of defensive force cause they can play some D. Sad part is that the spurs D depends mostly on gambling and going on a quick transition. Tough to play such D against best teams in the playoffs

Budkin
03-14-2011, 02:48 PM
It's up and down based on the latest few games and who's hot... not who has the best record.

Supergirl
03-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Bynum is currently averaging 79% FG percentage? Wow. I'm glad he's getting that out of his system now and not in the playoffs. No way can he keep that up. It explains why the Lakers are suddenly looking good again. If Blair was averaging 79% the Spurs would be on pace for an 80-2 season or something like that.

Muser
03-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Well the season is over then.

BlackSwordsMan
03-14-2011, 03:00 PM
spurs were blown up by the lakers are you surprised?

hater
03-14-2011, 03:01 PM
tbh, in the last 10 games of each teams. Lakers look way better. That fucker Bynum is playing like Wilt :pctoss Dude looks 8 feet tall out ther. Not to mention next to him are Gasol or Odom

WildcardManu
03-14-2011, 03:03 PM
They usually base it off the what they did the previous week.

cherylsteele
03-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Who cares about power polls, rankings.

CubanMustGo
03-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Spurs are suddenly struggling to get by teams like Houston, Detroit, and Sacto , got pounded by the Lakers, and you're worried about where they are in power rankings? They're not playing as well as they were earlier in the year, and certainly aren't playing like the top team in the league right now.

Dex
03-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Can we set up an autobot that provide all of these redundant, yet appropriate, answers for all Power Rankings threads?

JR3
03-14-2011, 03:14 PM
I think a lot of Spurs fans doubt their team because we are not used to winning with offense. We have seen defense when it counts this season and that is why we have the best record and that is why I like our chances in the playoffs. I also think that Spurs fans watch a little too much ESPN- and ESPN worships the big markets and makes them look invinsible when they are not. If anything I give the big 3 the benifit of the doubt come playoff time. They are proven winners. I'm confident they can pull out one more championship.

PM5K
03-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Seriously who cares? Spurs fans have the biggest inferiority complex of any team in the league. We have four rings, polls and rankings and stats don't mean shit.

SenorSpur
03-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Spurs are at least five games ahead of the closest competition, but are behind the Lakers in an astounding number of recent NBA Power Polls. Just goes to show the lack of respect and rampant Laker homer-dome out there.

For example - see:

Kobe is 32 and has logged more seasons than most guards his age. This is the time when wear and tear starts to permanently slow people down, and Kobe will be no exception. As a result, if the Lakers don't win this season, they will not have another shot in the Kobe era wihout adding more significant talent.

That's what happens when you endure a 30 point rout, on your homecourt, to the defending champions.

If this were 2 weeks ago, before that epic battle, I'd be bitching about it. However because the Fakers "hung the Spurs out to dry", in such a convincing fashion, it's not a big deal. In fact, it's pretty easy to see why they're now considered the darlings of the NBA.

spurs10
03-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Bynum will have to be dealt with. I'll bet the ranch he doesn't shoot 79% against Tim in the playoffs. Tim is one of our best defensive players we have, I'm sure Pop and he are on it.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Seriously who cares? Spurs fans have the biggest inferiority complex of any team in the league. We have four rings, polls and rankings and stats don't mean shit.

Does this count as an edition of "Thawts"?

CubanMustGo
03-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Here's some respect: look at who people pick to win tonight's Spurs@cHeat game: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=nba&pollId=108693

mytespurs
03-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Orl vs Suns

yesterdays game

JVG named top contenders - LA, Boston, Miami, and you have to count San Antonio in

But he is not very high on Spurs and not just him, it seems like all basketball world in not so high on the spurs.

1. they are older the last year
2. They do not have a guy who is 'the guy'
3. They are small, LA are big and big wins in the playoffs

Also many spurs fans doubt their team. They doubt the spurs can beat those LA team or go and win 4 tough series when they simply has troubles putting teams away and have troubles against teams like Memphis.
And only their shooting overcoming them being careless and lack of defense. Well lack of defensive force cause they can play some D. Sad part is that the spurs D depends mostly on gambling and going on a quick transition. Tough to play such D against best teams in the playoffs

Good analysis! Count me as doubter for the reasons u mentioned above,

I hope spurs prove all doubtgers wrong!

Killakobe81
03-14-2011, 04:21 PM

For example - see:

spurs the Rodnet Dangerfield of the NBA ...
Who cares? Spurs have HCA, have championship proven winner who cares what Jon Barry, JVG, chuck Kenny etc. have to say?

jay_shs
03-14-2011, 04:22 PM
gotta beat the Heat who just beat the Lakers, huge statement game there.

wildbill2u
03-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Spur players keep talking about the need for improving team defense. Time is running out in regular season and to be honest, I don't see consistent defensive improvement. They are able to turn some on at the end of games against lesser teams, but had no answer for the Lakers.

Time to quit talking and dig deep.

Obstructed_View
03-14-2011, 04:27 PM
If I put on my homer glasses, I don't think I could put the Spurs too high in the power rankings at the moment. Struggling against teams like Sacramento and Detroit aren't really ways to show the league that you're a top team. Hell, the Spurs got swatted by LA on national TV, had a few days to think about it, and have yet to elevate their level of play.

And the Lakers are far and away the best team right now. If the Spurs wanted a claim to that, they could have decided to show up for the Laker game.

polandprzem
03-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Spur players keep talking about the need for improving team defense. Time is running out in regular season and to be honest, I don't see consistent defensive improvement. They are able to turn some on at the end of games against lesser teams, but had no answer for the Lakers.

Time to quit talking and dig deep.

As I said before, if the spurs were capable of playing great defense we would have seen in earlier in this year, at least flashes of great D.

The biggest concern

wontstartdumbthreads
03-14-2011, 04:30 PM
If I put on my homer glasses, I don't think I could put the Spurs too high in the power rankings at the moment. Struggling against teams like Sacramento and Detroit aren't really ways to show the league that you're a top team. Hell, the Spurs got swatted by LA on national TV, had a few days to think about it, and have yet to elevate their level of play.

And the Lakers are far and away the best team right now. If the Spurs wanted a claim to that, they could have decided to show up for the Laker game.

I hear what you're saying but both Sac and Det have both beaten good teams this year more than once. Although without Evans, the Kings have sucked. But the beat down at the hands of the Lakers was enough for the drop IMO.

Obstructed_View
03-14-2011, 04:34 PM
I hear what you're saying but both Sac and Det have both beaten good teams this year more than once. Although without Evans, the Kings have sucked. But the beat down at the hands of the Lakers was enough for the drop IMO.

I'd be willing to give some credit to their opponents if they hadn't been so consistently underwhelming for quite a long stretch. They've got some really good first quarters, and some really strong finishes of close games, but those things are actually the only thing keeping them afloat.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-14-2011, 04:43 PM
I'd be willing to give some credit to their opponents if they hadn't been so consistently underwhelming for quite a long stretch. They've got some really good first quarters, and some really strong finishes of close games, but those things are actually the only thing keeping them afloat.

I know what you're saying. Spurs seem to never beat the bad teams as badly as they should. It sure doesn't feel like a 54-12 team that is 8-2 in the last 10.

PM5K
03-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Does this count as an edition of "Thawts"?

No, but since you're excited about it don't worry, they'll be back soon.

MarHill
03-14-2011, 05:09 PM

Unfortunately, I agree with you even though I'm a Spurs fan.

We are hypersensitive about getting recognition (and love) from the media.

If the Spurs are good enough to win it all...they will get all the recognition they need.

It's time for Hypersensitive Spurs fan to let it go!

Obstructed_View
03-14-2011, 06:50 PM
I know what you're saying. Spurs seem to never beat the bad teams as badly as they should. It sure doesn't feel like a 54-12 team that is 8-2 in the last 10.

This simply isn't the same team in the last ten games, because they put teams away before that. That they've been good enough to win most of these games is a testament to how good they are, but has little to do with how they've played. If the season ended after 82 games and they were handed a trophy I probably wouldn't be critical. :)

DieHardSpursFan1537
03-14-2011, 09:39 PM
They'll go down a couple spots next Monday after that 30 point loss to Miami.

Of course, nobody gives a shit about Power Rankings.

Calispursfan11
03-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Perhaps they are legitimately behind the Lakers if we only count play in the last couple of weeks, but overall, I don't think we can call the Lakers far and away the best team in the league without question. That's just silly.

duncan228
03-15-2011, 01:45 AM
Top 10, hit the link for the rest.

NBA Power Rankings: How about a Spurs vs. Bulls NBA finals? (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/14/nba-power-rankings-how-about-a-spurs-vs-bulls-nba-finals/)
Kurt Helin
ProBasketballTalk
NBC Sports

It still feels like with the top six teams you could flip a coin week to week on who is playing the best at any given moment. This week the coin came up Spurs.

1. Spurs (54-12, Last Week #4). After a loss to the Lakers a week ago Sunday they put together three nice wins, now comes a more interesting showdowns with the Heat Monday and Mavericks Friday.

2. Bulls (47-18, LW #5). Their defense has them 9-1 in their last 10 games and a real threat to come out of the East. And as long as they win the Derrick Rose for MVP train will keep picking up steam.

3. Lakers (47-20, LW #1). They lost to the Heat with poor execution at the end of the game. They solved that problem against the Mavericks by making sure it wasn’t close late. Lakers still 9-1 in their last 10. Lakers/Magic — and Andrew Bynum vs. Dwight Howard — will be interesting Monday night.

4. Mavericks (47-19, LW #3). They keep winning, the remain a contender, but then you watch the Lakers handle them with ease and you wonder if that is a playoff preview with this squad. Again.

5. Celtics (47-17, LW #2). The Celtics, with losses to the Clippers and Sixers last week, seem to be slumping toward the playoffs. They did that last year, too. More losses could be on the way — the banged up Celtics have five games in seven days starting Sunday night.

6. Heat (45-21, LW #8). They beat the Lakers and the hot Grizzlies in one week. They can beat good teams. They can prove it again this week with a lineup of Spurs, Thunder, Hawks and Nuggets.

7. Thunder (42-23, LW #7). No Jeff Green has meant more James Harden, and that’s a good thing as he is stepping up. He’s shooting 50.4 percent in the team’s last 10 games.

8. Magic (42-25, LW #6). They are your four seed in the East, almost certainly. The question is, do they want to match up with in the second round: the Celtics, Bulls or Heat?

9. Grizzlies (36-21, LW #9). Carmelo Anthony beating you at the buzzer, that happens. But the beat down from the Knicks was more concerning. The Griz can get revenge on the Knicks Thursday night.

10. Nuggets (39-27, LW #12). They are 7-2 since trading Carmelo Anthony and doing that against quality opponents. They are joining the Grizzlies as the team top squads would prefer to avoid in the first round.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/14/nba-power-rankings-how-about-a-spurs-vs-bulls-nba-finals/

tmtcsc
03-15-2011, 01:57 AM
Getting blown out by 30 points to the Heat and getting dominated on your home court by the 2 time defending champs will do that.

It's right on. As much as I want the Spurs to get their 5th title this year, LA is firmly in our way. If Bynum continues to play at his high level we aren't beating them. It's not our age, it's our talent.

Timmy cowers like a mental midget when he faces taller players. We got the good record by staying healthy and with our offense, but offense doesn't win championships. We all know that and yet we try to believe that somehow things will be different this year. Well, not without more luck than it usually takes to win.

Tim's best attribute this year is getting rebounds and he's not that great at that either. He rarely will cost you a game but he isn't really producing much of a spark. Tiago has been a joke. Remember how everyone was surprised how little money he took to play here ? Maybe Pop and RC knew exactly what he was worth. Without him producing or at least getting in Bynums way, DOOMZ !!!!

Sean Cagney
03-15-2011, 02:13 AM
Getting blown out by 30 points to the Heat and getting dominated on your home court by the 2 time defending champs will do that.

It's right on. As much as I want the Spurs to get their 5th title this year, LA is firmly in our way. If Bynum continues to play at his high level we aren't beating them. It's not our age, it's our talent.

Timmy cowers like a mental midget when he faces taller players. We got the good record by staying healthy and with our offense, but offense doesn't win championships. We all know that and yet we try to believe that somehow things will be different this year. Well, not without more luck than it usually takes to win.

Tim's best attribute this year is getting rebounds and he's not that great at that either. He rarely will cost you a game but he isn't really producing much of a spark. Tiago has been a joke. Remember how everyone was surprised how little money he took to play here ? Maybe Pop and RC knew exactly what he was worth. Without him producing or at least getting in Bynums way, DOOMZ !!!!

I agree, but that Doomz shit is far played out, that was cool about 10 years ago man, not now! I agree on most of what you said though, good post and I agree. I am guessing you are from Spursreport with that corny old Doomz shit right? They use that there alot! I love that board too but man that is corny now.

# 1 Troll
03-15-2011, 02:15 AM
Might have something to do with the fact that they have been beating by a combined 60 points the last two games they have actually played REAL championship teams.

Sean Cagney
03-15-2011, 02:25 AM
Might have something to do with the fact that they have been beating by a combined 60 points the last two games they have actually played REAL championship teams.

Won one by 30 and beat LA by 20 earlier this year, but you are still ugly as hell and short and fat.... Reality 101 for you. Change your avi immediately man, you are one of the funniest looking idiots I have seen, everytime I see it I laugh my ass off.

LOL at a mavs fan too talking about true contenders when his team has 0 titles in how ever many years like you know about that there! HAhhahhahahahaahhahhahahahahah.... Enjoy our ringless Mavs, LA will out then in round two with their homecourt over you guys, period. Another lost year without a ring.