PDA

View Full Version : Suns need a Combo Guard

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 06:08 PM
A guard who can take over for Nash and force Duncan to guard Marion. They should trade Q. Richardson or Steven Hunter for this type of player. Some of these players are Bobby Jackson, Jason Terry, Mike James, and etc.

ducks
06-02-2005, 06:08 PM
they need a guy like rasho first
or they should have hired mike brown
a good d coach

ALVAREZ6
06-02-2005, 06:10 PM
They have Joe Johnson.

ducks
06-02-2005, 06:11 PM
joe johnson MUST BE RESIGNED IF YOU ARE A SUN FAN

ChumpDumper
06-02-2005, 06:12 PM
They already have one of the better combo guards in the league -- they just need to keep him.

Extra Stout
06-02-2005, 06:14 PM
A guard who can take over for Nash and force Duncan to guard Marion. They should trade Q. Richardson or Steven Hunter for this type of player. Some of these players are Bobby Jackson, Jason Terry, Mike James, and etc.Or, as another example, Joe Johnson.

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Nash can't play heavy minutes like he does to sustain a running game. They need someone who can play both the pg and sg to give him rest. Joe Johnson is not a good ball handler and Barbosa isn't any good. Q. Richardson was their weakness in the playoffs and they won't be the same if they went big.

ducks
06-02-2005, 06:15 PM
so you are saying let joe go and get ad?

ChumpDumper
06-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Joe Johnson is not a good ball handlerLooked good to me when he was playing the point throughout the season.

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 06:18 PM
they need both and move Joe to the 3. This would give them more versatility for certain matchups. A center would slow down their running game which they had so much success with. Johnson can't push the temple like Nash and that is key for Phoenix. They would be unstoppable with.
Nash/Bobby Jackson
Joe Johnson/Bobby Jackson
Jim Jackson/Joe Johnson
Marion/Stoudemire
Stoudemire/Hunter
They lost alot of points when Nash was on the bench.

ducks
06-02-2005, 06:21 PM
call me hopefully
but I think nash will not be as good next year
he went out to prove to cuban how stupid he was
the honey moon is over now for him in a sun uniform

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 06:30 PM
they need a guy like rasho first
or they should have hired mike brown
a good d coach
They got one in Steven Hunter. They just need to resign him and get used to him playing with Amare and Marion. Combo guard is the missing piece.

ducks
06-02-2005, 06:34 PM
so should they get ad mav?

picnroll
06-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Suns have to deal with Joe Johnson and Hunter this off season. If they sign Johnson, assuming, it will cost him $7 million next year giving them Johnson, Amare, Marion, Nash, Richardson, Jim Jackson and Barbosa on the books for approx. $41 miilion plus ending contracts of Eisley and Voskuhl worth $9 million that they might move to shore up depth.

The next year the Suns will have to sign Amare to a max contract with only Voskuhl and Eisley going off the books unless the Suns have already traded their ending contracts for players with longer contracts this coming year to shore up depth.

As a Spurs fan I wouldn't mind seeing somebody like Cleveland, Clippers, Alanta making a run at Johnson. Either way though Sarver, the Suns owner, has said he wants and intends to make a profit on the team so it doesn't look like we'll see a Cuban-like effort to buy a title.

ducks
06-02-2005, 06:38 PM
I heard at on time that joe would not mind going to bobcats

bobcats could give JOE the bank

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Nash doesn't have much time left so this owner will never get a title if he wants a profit. Sacramento needs a shooting guard and Q. Richardson is young. They aren't going to win a title anytime soon so why keep B. Jackson?

ALVAREZ6
06-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Nash pretty much plays the whole game, they don't need another PG. Joe Johnson does the job for them ,and he is an amazing shooter from all over the court.

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 07:20 PM
I think Joe Johnson is better at the 2 and 3. He can play point guard but can't push the ball like Nash or most point guards can. Bobby Jackson would be an energy player coming off the bench that can push the ball to speed up the tempo.

ALVAREZ6
06-02-2005, 07:23 PM
I think Joe Johnson is better at the 2 and 3. He can play point guard but can't push the ball like Nash or most point guards can. Bobby Jackson would be an energy player coming off the bench that can push the ball to speed up the tempo.
They don't need another PG.

Like I already said, Nash plays most of the game. When he's on, the tempo of the game is pretty high.

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 07:26 PM
They can play Bobby Jackson at the 2 with Nash and Joe Johnson at the 3. It brings more versatility in certain matchups.

AZLouis
06-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Clear room on your IR, Bobby Jackson has just been signed.

JJ fills that need for a backup PG/combo guard that's being discussed here and has already been said. Take it from a guy that's seen all the games and playoffs.

Barbosa is going to be a good PG/SG backup. Likely a better SG backup because he can score with the best of them. Nash has him in his wings and he will become a better decision maker. He is a guy who was under Marbury's wings and wanted to emulate his game.

Sarvar also intends to sign JJ. He and Colangelo are on the record saying that they will sign JJ and Amare at all cost.

T Park
06-02-2005, 07:34 PM
He and Colangelo are on the record saying that they will sign JJ and Amare at all cost

when will they sign some players that care about defense, and a coach that does as well??

Until then they are not a viable threat.

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Bobby Jackson is a much better player than Barbosa. I have seen little improvement from last year to this year. Anyone looks good with Nash as a point guard but with Bobby Jackson he will get more open shots than when he was in Sacramento. How old is Barbosa?

Solid D
06-02-2005, 08:20 PM
True, Barbosa is a combo guard. Barbosa is 22.

Suns need size in the pivot more than anything else.

AZLouis
06-02-2005, 09:31 PM
The Suns game plan is different. They are not going to be a defensive minded team. Obviously they would rather play a more uptempo style of ball and put points on the board which gives them the best chance to win. Hence the 62 wins in the season and WCF run.

Last year they won 29 games! People forget that they just got good.

Bobby Jackson is not a good fit for the team. He's not an improvement over Barbosa and is an injury liability as shown during the past 2 years. Not to mention he will cost more than Barbs.

Suns do need another defensive presence. Marion and JJ provide solid d. And Amare has realy come on at the end of this season with his defense. A lot of the game plan is to not fould and keep the game flowing so the Suns can get out in the open.

To not say they are a viable threat is wishful thinking. They made it to the WCF and gave the Spurs 4 good games, even though they lost 3 of those 4. Game 3 was just as ass kicking.

Next year with some experience under their belt and an improved bench and a possible big drafted, the Suns will even be better.

I would have to imagine that after winning 29 games last season the Suns didn't expect a 38-4 start to the season and a total of 62 wins. COY, MVP, 3 all stars, 3 all leaguers, and an all defensive team selection. The coach is fine and no change needs to be made or will be.

AZLouis
06-02-2005, 09:39 PM
New deals in works for Johnson, Stoudemire as Suns face bright future

By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
June 2, 2005
PHOENIX (AP) -- Shaking off their disappointment, the Phoenix Suns already were looking to their bright future a day after their elimination from the Western Conference finals.

``You've got to take your lumps somewhere along the line to be a champion,'' Steve Nash said, ``and hopefully this is one of those building blocks to be something better.''

The Suns held a team meeting on Thursday, then players met individually with Suns president Bryan Colangelo and coach Mike D'Antoni.

ADVERTISEMENT

The top priorities for the offseason, Colangelo said afterward, are re-signing Joe Johnson and inking Amare Stoudemire to an extension.

There will be other minor adjustments, perhaps adding a bit more size on the bench.

``We're going to get better,'' Colangelo said. ``We're going to do everything we can this offseason to improve.''

Johnson is just 23, Stoudemire is 22, and the Suns want to lock up both rising young stars to long-term deals.

Johnson is the team's most accurate 3-point shooter, best perimeter defender and a player who can break defenders down off the dribble.

His absence was sorely felt when he fractured his left eye socket against Dallas in the conference semifinals and had to sit out the first two games of the Western Conference finals. Johnson is a restricted free agent, meaning the Suns can match any offer he gets from another team.

Colangelo has said that any team that signs Johnson will be wasting its time.

Johnson said Colangelo and D'Antoni assured him he is a crucial part of their plans. The Suns could have signed the young guard before the season began, and he will cost a lot more money now.

``I'd love to stay here and be a part of it,'' Johnson said, ``but like I've been saying all year, this is a business and business comes first.''

The Suns have exercised their option for Stoudemire next season under the contract he signed as a rookie, but with his emergence as one of the best players in the game, they want to sign him for what obviously will be the maximum amount allowed.

Stoudemire expressed no desire to play elsewhere.

``I love the city of Phoenix and I love the state of Arizona,'' Stoudemire said. ``The fans here have been amazing since the first day I got here. I have no complaints about the organization, team or anything like that, so it's looking good right now.''

The Suns' 101-95 loss to San Antonio on Wednesday night sent the Spurs to the NBA Finals and ended the NBA's feel-good story of the season.

With a frenetic, refreshingly entertaining style directed by Nash, and with Stoudemire emerging as an awe-inspiring performer, Phoenix went from 29 victories in 2003-04 to an NBA-best 62 this season, the third-best turnaround in league history.

The Suns averaged 110 points in the regular season, the most by any team in a decade, and boosted it to 112 in the playoffs. Nash, lured from Dallas by a big contract, had his best season and was named the league's MVP.

Nash, Stoudemire and Shawn Marion were named first-, second- and third-team all-NBA, respectively.

D'Antoni, who turned the team loose to run and gun while still exercising low-key control, was named coach of the year. Colangelo was the Sporting News executive of the year.

The biggest needed improvement, obviously, has to come on defense. The Suns often were able to outscore opponents without exerting much effort at the other end of the court. But the Spurs often shredded Phoenix for easy layups or wide-open jumpers.

``Our main focus is we've got to work on becoming a great defensive team,'' Stoudemire said, ``because our offense is unlimited.''

Through the playoffs, the higher the stakes, the better Stoudemire performed. He averaged 29.9 points in 15 playoff games, 37 against San Antonio in a jaw-dropping mix of mid-range jumpers, acrobatic inside moves and thunderous dunks. Stoudemire is well on his way to reaching his goal of becoming one of the NBA's best.

``With this team, once I polish my game up a little more,'' he said, ``I'll be able to take us to the promised land.''

Stoudemire defined his future role as ``point center,'' a hybrid position that would have him touching the ball even more.

``Playing the position I played this year with a different twist,'' Stoudemire explained, ``with more of an inside-outside type game. With that point center thing, I think that's the right position to call me right now.''

D'Antoni said anything Stoudemire wants to call himself is fine with him.

``He is developing into the best in the NBA ...,'' D'Antoni said. ``He's going to get better and he wants to be the best. He's going to define how to play in the NBA hopefully in the next 10 years. He's going to be the model that people are going to have to adapt to.

``That's a lot to heap on a 22-year-old kid, but if we're going to be successful, he's got some broad shoulders and I'm going to try to be sitting on them. I'll be riding them.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-sunswrapup&prov=ap&type=lgns

JMarkJohns
06-02-2005, 09:55 PM
There's one main area of weakness with Johnson and it's he sometimes gives careless or lazy passes. Other than that, he can handle the backup PG duties for upwards of 20 minutes a game.

Barbosa is as talented as they come, but D'Antoni saw fit to sit him after every mistake, defensive lapse or turnover, thus, his confidense isn't very high. His shots is solid from 20 feet and on and he pushes the ball. He's better than most give him credit for, but he's barely played a full-time back-ups minutes for one year in the two years he's been in the League, so inexperience factors in here. He'll come around...

Suns need a big, athletic bruiser who can boc-out and grab boards. The Suns force misses. You all should know this, but they lack the siz and skill to consistantly dominate the defensive glass, typically allowing 15-20 offensive rebounds.

I believe that this will be solved with the addition of Sean May for depth, Amare's and Hunter's improvement and extended use of either Amare and Hunter or Amare ad May at the 4/5 spots.

Overall, rebounding is the main issue, not defense. Look back at the box-scores of this series and the amount of offensive rebounds the Suns gave up will total around 100.

For a five game series, that's laughably awful.

myhc
06-02-2005, 10:01 PM
You really think Sean May is the answer? I don't really know what big men are available out there, but I don't think he'd fit into your up tempo style. Dude is like 6-8, 260.

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Hunter is the answer and he should be starting next year so they can get used to that lineup.

JMarkJohns
06-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Sean may will measure about 6-8, but has really trimmed down from his 290 freshman weight to last year 265 junior weight.

He gets down to 255, he will fit the system perfectly and here's why.

Last year he was still a bit overweight, but ran with an up-tempo college team and he still dominated. He ran the floor very well, yet still had the ability to bang down low and grab every rebound that came near him.

This will need to improve (weight/stamina) with the Suns, but May will certainly be able to come in and bang around for 20 minutes, which is all the Suns need. They don't need an All-Star, nor even a starter. Just depth. They need a big-bodied hustle-bum who can grab 7/8 boards, score 9/10 points and body up on the oppositions best PF/C, allowing Stoudemire to block shots and rebound.

Hunter is also huge and has stated he wants to remain in Phoenix and has said he will attempt to bulk up this offseason, trying to gain around 10/15 pounds of muscle.

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Putting Amare at center was the only way the offense was made so easily. Amare had all the room while the other players spaced out the floor. Putting in a center or Sean May may hurt the team. The perfect player which I don't think exists is an athletic center that can hit the 3.

JMarkJohns
06-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Amare would stay at the C, Marion at PF with Hunter off the bench at C and May off the bench at PF.

May has a good 15-18 jumper. Much better than Hunters and it's is still improving.

May showed that weight hid very good athleticism for someone his size and with increased weight loss/strength training, he should become even more mobile. He'll never be a leaper or gazelle or whatnot, but he's as athletic as a bruiser is going to get.

As has been said here, some concessions will have to be made for this Suns team to improve. One is a notch down in speed and athleticisim for better size, skill and need.

May answers the need of bench foward.

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Barbosa I'm still not convinced will be that good. Nash will have to play heavy minutes without a solid backup. I think the key is to be able to run 48 minutes and have a deep bench.

JMarkJohns
06-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Johnson is more than capable as a backup and anything from Barbosa is jus added.

Suns got a 2nd-rounder, so perhaps take a PG with it.

2centsworth
06-02-2005, 10:58 PM
JJ is amazingly inconsistent against the spurs. Maybe it's just Bruce, but 2 out of 3 years JJ has been hit and miss against the spurs. Suns could use a player like Bruce who can shut people down and hit 3's. They could also use some help on the boards.

leemajors
06-02-2005, 11:02 PM
hunter is not really that good, he is just that much better than jake voskuhl. what i can't figure out is how a team with joe johnson, amare and marion only won 29 games last year. have you seen the pic on the front of the official suns page? looks like duncan and amare are about to kiss.

JMarkJohns
06-02-2005, 11:07 PM
hunter is not really that good, he is just that much better than jake voskuhl. what i can't figure out is how a team with joe johnson, amare and marion only won 29 games last year. have you seen the pic on the front of the official suns page? looks like duncan and amare are about to kiss.

Amare missed over 30 games that season and JJ wasn't the JJ he is now, but the JJ of which 2centsworth speaks of...JJ didn't take of until after the trade.

Also, Barbosa ran the point as a 20 year-old with limited english and they had a very inexperienced coach.

Basically, the Suns were 7-7 before Amare went down, then quickly feel to 10-17/19 before trading Marbury. After the trade Phoenix won 6/7 games in their next 20 before going just under .500 the rest of the way with a healthy squad.

2centsworth
06-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Amare missed over 30 games that season and JJ wasn't the JJ he is now, but the JJ of which 2centsworth speaks of...JJ didn't take of until after the trade.

He has been a different player since the trade, but what happened to him yesterday? 6-17 which is ok if you contribute in other ways, but what else did he give but missed shots? He had 4 measly rbs and 4st in 42 minutes, the guy is huge and there's no reason why he can't get more boards.

JMarkJohns
06-02-2005, 11:35 PM
I certainly wasn't expecting JJ to light the world afire wearing that mask. That's something the player needs time to get used to, not just a few days.

He certainly could've grabbed a few more rebounds, but other than that, he was far from the problem, which was Richardson's and Marion's continued struggles and a lack of made threes. Once Nash went cold, the game was over.

spurster
06-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Part of the success of the Suns was that Nash was able to play 40+ minutes/game most of the season and all of the playoffs. My recollection was that in previous years , Nash was worn down by the playoffs. The Suns need to play Nash less and perhaps Barbosa more. It takes some time to create an NBA PG. Now that the Suns know that home court advantage isn't everything in the playoffs, they should give their bench a few more minutes and add/use a defensive player or two.

2centsworth
06-03-2005, 09:57 PM
I certainly wasn't expecting JJ to light the world afire wearing that mask. That's something the player needs time to get used to, not just a few days.
Mask didn't matter in game 4, but mattered in game 5? He's just inconsistent against the spurs.

AZLouis
06-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Maybe it had to do with game 4 being his first since game 2 of the previous series. 8 minutes in JJ lobbed up an ugly airball. The mask I am sure doesn't deter strength.

He was winded and rusty. And yes he probably had to adjust a little to wearing a mask on his face which caused him to sweat more.

mavsfan1000
06-03-2005, 11:27 PM
I think you need more than a 5 man team. You have the best starting lineup in basketball but no bench. Nash can't play entire games and Joe Johnson will wear down to if he plays the whole game. Jim Jackson and one more guard that is good enough to crack the rotation in the playoffs could be the answer. I'm not saying Bobby Jackson but someone similar.

NASHville
06-03-2005, 11:31 PM
I agree. Playing every minute just isn't healthy.

AZLouis
06-03-2005, 11:33 PM
JJ logged 39 minutes a game this season, more than anybody. He has logged those kind of minutes since joining the Suns. This was the first time he was injured and it had nothing to do with wearing down.

Nonetheless I agree the Suns need another guy or two on the bench that can be relied upon at anytime.

Bobby Jackson is not the answer. He's older now, costs more money, and has been injured quite a lot recently.

Marko Jaric could be an interesting choice. I like Dan Dickau. Dan Gadzuric. There were rumors of a Samuel Dalembert trade(but that involved JJ and will that won't fly anymore).

Not to mention they won only 29 games last year with virtually the same guys other than Nash and Q. Their sudden success surprised not only the fans but the team as well.

ducks
06-03-2005, 11:38 PM
ad would not be a bad choice if he was cheap enough
however I think he wants to start

mavsfan1000
06-03-2005, 11:47 PM
All you need is an energy player coming off the bench and playing defense and scoring. This would keep Nash and Joe Johnson fresh at the end of games. Are there any type of players like that in the draft you know?

2centsworth
06-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Maybe it had to do with game 4 being his first since game 2 of the previous series. 8 minutes in JJ lobbed up an ugly airball. The mask I am sure doesn't deter strength.

He was winded and rusty. And yes he probably had to adjust a little to wearing a mask on his face which caused him to sweat more.

what in the world are you talking about. JJ played game 3, and then put up 28 in game 4. Then he stunk it up in game 5. I'm just pointing out his inconsistent play agaisnt the spurs.

2centsworth
06-04-2005, 12:10 AM
keep in mind that he can BARELY see through his stupid mask --guy impressed me in game 4

again mask is no problem, but then it's a problem. More inconsistency to me

mavsfan1000
06-04-2005, 12:18 AM
again mask is no problem, but then it's a problem. More inconsistency to me
In this series he was but in the regular season he was the one of the most consistent guard players in the league.

JMarkJohns
06-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Johnson was basically just-below average across the board in his games, but with one huge quarter (game 4, third) where he caught fire and made shots.

I still say the mask was more the cause and not the player.

I wouldn't mind seeing Julius Hodge become a Sun, but wings aren't their pressing needs. Maybe if the Suns traded for another 1st-rounder, but not without.

Suns want one more wing, but need two more bigs.

AZLouis
06-04-2005, 07:23 AM
2cents, sorry meant to type game 3 for the WCF, typo.

May 11 to May 28. That's how long it was between games for JJ in the playoffs. In between that time he went through a surgery, had a concussion, a broken orbital, blood in his left eye causing blurriness, unable to workout or play for a few days, not practice until before game 3, have the injured area swollen even up until game 3, and finally go through different adjustments of wearing a protective mask to help protect his eye socket because of the surgery and metal plates installed into his face.

http://probasketball.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=probasketball&zu=http://www.hoopsstats.com/ Click there to see his stats against the Spurs for this season. Includes playoffs.

2centsworth
06-04-2005, 10:54 AM
2cents, sorry meant to type game 3 for the WCF, typo.

May 11 to May 28. That's how long it was between games for JJ in the playoffs. In between that time he went through a surgery, had a concussion, a broken orbital, blood in his left eye causing blurriness, unable to workout or play for a few days, not practice until before game 3, have the injured area swollen even up until game 3, and finally go through different adjustments of wearing a protective mask to help protect his eye socket because of the surgery and metal plates installed into his face.

http://probasketball.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=probasketball&zu=http://www.hoopsstats.com/ Click there to see his stats against the Spurs for this season. Includes playoffs.
my only point was that like the '03 season he would be phenomenal in one game and mediocre in the next. But I'm probably wrong about him, he's probably all world and I don't know it yet.