PDA

View Full Version : The Blair/Bonner frontcourt should only be on during garbage time

Amuseddaysleeper
03-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Really shows how thin the Spurs frontline is, complete joke pairing those two together.

Sucks, because the McDyess/Duncan combo is an absolute beast.

Mugen
03-14-2011, 07:43 PM
if Pop plays them together in the playoffs for any extended period of time, then the spurs will be in A LOT of trouble.

thought it was a knee-jerk by Pop after the Laker game and i still don't agree with it.

4>0rings
03-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Bonner resigned.

epic :lmao

Gagnrath
03-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Bonner is a fine situational back-up big, and Blair is good as an energy guy , and even a serviceable starter depending on match-ups, the problem is you can't have a short match-up limited guy in with a slow limited jump-shooting big. Either guy paired with an athletic average defender with some inside game is fine. Their games just don't compliment each other especially against a driving team.

ChuckD
03-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Unfortunately, Dice starting buys you about 20 minutes of primetime Blair/Bonner paint "protection".

benefactor
03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
It's a joke...and get ready Spur fan...we are going to see it in the playoffs too.

Warlord23
03-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Let's do some math here.

There are 96 (48 X 2) minutes available at the C + PF spots. Assume that Pop will play Timmy 36 mpg and Dice 30 mpg in the playoffs. That's 66 minutes, which leaves 96 - 66 = 30 minutes for the other bigs.

If Timmy and Dice start (which IMO is the right thing to do) and finish games together, they definitely play together for:
- The first 6 minutes of the game
- The first 6 minutes of the 2nd half
- The last 6 minutes of the game

That's about 18 minutes when they play together. Of the remaining 30 minutes, Duncan will play w/o Dice for 36-18 = 18 minutes, and Dice will play w/o Duncan for 30-18 = 12 minutes. Therefore either one of Dice and Duncan will be on the floor for 18 + 12 = 30 mins.

Basically, with the above distribution, either Duncan or Dice can stay on the floor at all times:
- Both together for 18 minutes
- Duncan, but no Dice for 18 minutes
- Dice, but no Duncan for 12 minutes

That is what Pop should aim for IMO. No more Bonner/Blair combo except for spot minutes.

timtonymanu
03-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Damn you, Splitter for getting hurt.

ChuckD
03-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Let's do some math here.

There are 96 (48 X 2) minutes available at the C + PF spots. Assume that Pop will play Timmy 36 mpg and Dice 30 mpg in the playoffs. That's 66 minutes, which leaves 96 - 66 = 30 minutes for the other bigs.

If Timmy and Dice start (which IMO is the right thing to do) and finish games together, they definitely play together for:
- The first 6 minutes of the game
- The first 6 minutes of the 2nd half
- The last 6 minutes of the game

That's about 18 minutes when they play together. Of the remaining 30 minutes, Duncan will play w/o Dice for 36-18 = 18 minutes, and Dice will play w/o Duncan for 30-18 = 12 minutes. Therefore either one of Dice and Duncan will be on the floor for 18 + 12 = 30 mins.

Basically, with the above distribution, either Duncan or Dice can stay on the floor at all times:
- Both together for 18 minutes
- Duncan, but no Dice for 18 minutes
- Dice, but no Duncan for 12 minutes

That is what Pop should aim for IMO. No more Bonner/Blair combo except for spot minutes.

Dice climbing from 17 in the regular season to 30 in the playoffs is not a realistic projection.

TD 21
03-14-2011, 08:52 PM
It's a joke...and get ready Spur fan...we are going to see it in the playoffs too.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. And if you are, then this team is throwing away a good chance at a championship, all because their coach is ignorant and stubborn.

Splitter should have utilized to guard elite face-up four's from the moment he got healthy earlier this season. It's not ideal to be working him in at this late date, but it's not too late either. I don't care about hurting anyone's feelings, this is about what's best for the team. You can't play a team with three guys who get to the line as consistently as the Heat and play a Blair-Bonner duo for a long stretch. Those guys were licking their chops from the moment they saw that. Bosh repeatedly attacked Bonner for profit.

You wonder why elite teams clearly don't respect this team to the level they should based on their record? It's because they couldn't be any less imposing. Two undersized, defenseless power forwards and three shooting guards, two of which are undersized, comprise the second unit.

I get that if Splitter plays with Blair, there's a lack of shooting and if he plays with Bonner, there's a lack of rebounding. But they need someone who's a defensive presence and can at least somewhat protect the rim. My inclination is the same as my initial one when it comes to the bigs and that is that Blair should ultimately be dropped from the rotation.

SpursRulez4eVeR
03-14-2011, 08:54 PM
make no mistake, this game has been mostly garbage.

Capt Bringdown
03-14-2011, 08:58 PM
It was a sad day when Bonner first slipped on a Spurs uniform.
And our championship ambitions may have been killed when he re-signed.
There's no way to dodge the doubt, he is a colossal failure.

A gimmicky regular-season trick shot artist that becomes a tremendous liability when it counts.

Warlord23
03-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Dice climbing from 17 in the regular season to 30 in the playoffs is not a realistic projection.

I'm hoping that he's saving up minutes to spend in the playoffs, and that Pop would rather play him 30 mins a night and try to shorten the first 2 playoff series by a game apiece than give him fewer minutes but have the series go more games.

Bruno
03-14-2011, 09:06 PM
I want to puke whenever I see this frontcourt. I don't get why Pop is so stubborn and keep using it.

PS: Free Tiago.

benefactor
03-14-2011, 09:23 PM
I want to puke whenever I see this frontcourt. I don't get why Pop is so stubborn and keep using it.

PS: Free Tiago.
Pop will realize it when it's too late. See George Hill in his rookie season.

Mugen
03-14-2011, 09:25 PM

lol i've been sayin that all year but the Pop Apologists kept pointing at our record.

it'd be nice to see TPark spin the Blair/Bonner front court :lol

Mugen
03-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Damn you, Splitter for getting hurt.

btw that's a bullshit excuse for Pop.

he's had plenty of time to develop Splitter into a rotational player this season but his stubborness has kept him from doing so.

You can argue that Splitter was never that good to begin with but he never got a fair shot. To say Pop is blameless in his lack of development is pure bullshit from the Pop homers.

timtonymanu
03-14-2011, 09:34 PM
lol i've been sayin that all year but the Pop Apologists kept pointing at our record.

it'd be nice to see TPark spin the Blair/Bonner front court :lol

54-13 Panic!!!! Oh noes!!!!

Mugen
03-14-2011, 09:39 PM
54-13 Panic!!!! Oh noes!!!!

Not panic, but concerned.

Concerned that the things that are most important to win in the playoffs are the things that these Spurs struggle with...Rebounding, Defense, Half-court execution against physical defenses...

But if you want to keep sounding like MavFan and be happy with your regular season championship, go ahead. 0-0 when the playoffs start and it only takes one game to lose HC advantage.

timtonymanu
03-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Not panic, but concerned.

Concerned that the things that are most important to win in the playoffs are the things that these Spurs struggle with...Rebounding, Defense, Half-court execution against physical defenses...

But if you want to keep sounding like MavFan and be happy with your regular season championship, go ahead. 0-0 when the playoffs start and it only takes one game to lose HC advantage.

I was quoting EricB there. I wasn't serious.

MaNu4Tres
03-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Agree with Benefactor and TD 21..

:lol at Pop going with Novak over Splitter at the 4/5 in recent games.

Pop may be the best X's and O's coach in the league, but when it comes to rotations/playing the right combination's of players, Pop doesn't give his team the best chance to win games. Yes I said it.

Splitter needs to play, just like Hill needed to in 08-09' over Vaughn; Just like Stephen Jackson in 02' when he sat the whole year; Just like Kurt Thomas needed to play against LA in Conference Finals in 08' when Pop elected to go small with Finley/Udoka on Odom and Spurs wounded up being dominated on the offensive glass giving Lakers 2-3-4 shots per possession; Same goes for 06' series with Dallas when Pop sat Nazr for no damn reason and Spurs ended up giving away possessions by Josh Howard going Rodman on the offensive glass ( Duncan was being taken out on the perimeter in pick and rolls on the defensive end).

But most importantly, the past 3-4 years this team has been in dire need of quality length inside to compliment Duncan on the defensive end. And once Pop finally gets it (Splitter), he refuses to actually give it a fucking try because he has a hard on for any player that can spread the floor. Who cares if they can't defend when it matters. Who cares if they are undersized in the interior. Hell bring back Greg Sutton or Dale Ellis to come play the five might as well Pop. :shootme

I just want our defensive minded coach back. You know the one who used to prioritize interior defense.

Is that too much to ask?

/End rant

timtonymanu
03-14-2011, 09:44 PM

Pop may be the best X's and O's coach in the league, but when it comes to rotations/playing the right combination's of players, Pop doesn't give his team the best chance to win games. Yes I said it.

Splitter needs to play, just like Hill needed to in 08-09' over Vaughn; Just like Stephen Jackson in 02' when he sat the whole year, Just like Kurt Thomas needed to play against LA in Conference Finals in 08' when Pop elected to go small with Finley/Udoka on Odom.

But most importantly, the past 3-4 years this team has been in dire need of quality length inside to compliment Duncan on the defensive end. And once Pop finally gets it (Splitter), he refuses to actually give it a fucking try because he has a hard on for any player that can spread the floor. Who cares if they can't defend when it matters. Who cares if they are undersized in the interior. Hell bring back Greg Sutton or Dale Ellis to come play the five might as well Pop. :shootme

I just want our defensive minded coach back. You know the one who used to prioritize interior defense.

Is that too much to ask?

Here's to living and dieing by the 3 come playoff time (meaning here's to going out in 6 games in the WCSF or WCF) :toast

/End rant

Seriously Brent Barry must be laughing his ass off. A player like Novak would have been in the doghouse in the defensive years. I knew the Novak signing would mean Pop is more obsessed with soft 3 point shooters.

Capt Bringdown
03-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Just like Kurt Thomas needed to play against LA in Conference Finals in 08' when Pop elected to go small with Finley/Udoka on Odom.

Almost lost my breakfast, thanks for the memory :bang

MaNu4Tres
03-14-2011, 09:56 PM

Exactly.

HarlemHeat37
03-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Well, there's a month left, that's a lot of basketball..

If the Spurs get blown out by the Mavs, maybe Pop finally makes a change..doubtful, but it's possible, I suppose..

SenorSpur
03-14-2011, 10:26 PM
The Blair/Bonner pairing shouldn't even be on the court together during garbage time.

J Mack
03-14-2011, 11:02 PM

he's had plenty of time to develop Splitter into a rotational player this season but his stubborness has kept him from doing so.

You can argue that Splitter was never that good to begin with but he never got a fair shot. To say Pop is blameless in his lack of development is pure bullshit from the Pop homers.
Amen to that !:wakeup

Borosai
03-14-2011, 11:07 PM
I like both of these guys, but I agree: they have no business being the Spurs' frontcourt. Pop is one stubborn sumbitch.

crc21209
03-14-2011, 11:54 PM
At all costs, Pop has to avoid playing Bonner and Blair at the same time. There is no fucking way this team will be successful with those two playing major minutes together. One of TD or Dice has to be out on the floor with either Bonner or Blair....

ElNono
03-15-2011, 12:08 AM
The problem is: now you're shorthanded. You're not going to make Tiago into an NBA player in 10 games. And I agree it's unrealistic to pretend that Dice will have the fitness all of a sudden to go for 30 mins a night on a deep playoff run.

We're obviously rolling with what we have...

SenorSpur
03-15-2011, 12:22 AM
The problem is: now you're shorthanded. You're not going to make Tiago into an NBA player in 10 games. And I agree it's unrealistic to pretend that Dice will have the fitness all of a sudden to go for 30 mins a night on a deep playoff run.

We're obviously rolling with what we have...

Yep. They're forced to roll with what they have now.

I just hope Pop realizes how he's compromised the team's title hopes by burying Splitter on the bench. It's not as though Duncan is the Duncan of five years ago. The man needs help. And he doesn't have very much.

Obviously he sees them everyday and supposedly knows best, but I can't begin to understand how Pop came to the conclusion that a supporting cast of Blair, Dice and Bonner gives the Spurs the best chance against the likes of the top-tier competition in the NBA - regular season record notwithstanding.

As others have stated, I love Pop as a strategist, motivator and leader, but his stubborness hurts the team. Integrating Tiago should've been THE top priority - not an afterthought. Anderson should've been second. Now, both will have to wait until next year.

rmt
03-15-2011, 12:25 AM

Agreed. Pop's had more than enough time to work in Splitter. It's not like Splitter's a complete rookie. Even James Anderson (since he's come back) seems like he gets more minutes than Splitter.

This game was the exact opposite of last Heat game. Heat's great interior defense = Manu + TP not getting to the rim and Heat defenders staying home on the 3pt shooters. This renders Bonner (especially) and RJ useless. This is just a preview of the playoffs against elite contenders.

What's with Manu guarding Lebron? Lebron's a handful for RJ much less Manu who seemed like he was bouncing off Lebron.

BTW, American Arena was rocking tonight. Not an empty seat in the section behind the visitors' bench. The atmosphere was awesome - first time in about 5 years since I've been going. Quite a few wearing Duncan jerseys. Lots of Lebron jerseys - much more than Wade's. Can't say I like the ticket prices - about 3-4 times face value unlike in past years when they were lots of empty seats and tickets could be had for face value.

Splits
03-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Splitter minutes thread!

You people are intolerable. The dude sucks, plain and simple.

Splits
03-15-2011, 12:49 AM
You do realize Bonner logged 7 minutes tonight, right? And Gary Neal was 2-13?

Capt Bringdown
03-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Yep. They're forced to roll with what they have now.

I just hope Pop realizes how he's compromised the team's title hopes by burying Splitter on the bench. It's not as though Duncan is the Duncan of five years ago. The man needs help. And he doesn't have very much.

Obviously he sees them everyday and supposedly knows best, but I can't begin to understand how Pop came to the conclusion that a supporting cast of Blair, Dice and Bonner gives the Spurs the best chance against the likes of the top-tier competition in the NBA - regular season record notwithstanding.

As others have stated, I love Pop as a strategist, motivator and leader, but his stubborness hurts the team. Integrating Tiago should've been THE top priority - not an afterthought. Anderson should've been second. Now, both will have to wait until next year.

Post of the year IMO. As much fun as this season has been, it's disappointing to know we're heading into the playoffs without having done our very best to help Duncan out in the middle.

Let's call the decision to not integrate Splitter what it is: Incompetent.

The clincher for me is Pop's recent move to showcase Novak. WTF?

Man In Black
03-15-2011, 01:21 AM
I miss the pace of the game when Blair started. While I agree that the team is short when up against big teams, it's a question of just playing your style to the best of it's ability and see where it falls. It can't just be when McDyess starts against elite teams, the Spurs lose, but that's how it's played out thus far.

TD 21
03-15-2011, 01:22 AM

Splitter needs to play, just like Hill needed to in 08-09' over Vaughn; Just like Stephen Jackson in 02' when he sat the whole year; Just like Kurt Thomas needed to play against LA in Conference Finals in 08' when Pop elected to go small with Finley/Udoka on Odom and Spurs wounded up being dominated on the offensive glass giving Lakers 2-3-4 shots per possession; Same goes for 06' series with Dallas when Pop sat Nazr for no damn reason and Spurs ended up giving away possessions by Josh Howard going Rodman on the offensive glass ( Duncan was being taken out on the perimeter in pick and rolls on the defensive end).

Is that too much to ask?

/End rant

He passed away in May of '06.

He stresses defense, then plays a bench that has no chance to adequately defend, let alone against a team with three scorers the caliber of the Heat's big three. What a hypocrite.

It's clear what needs to happen. Duncan needs to tell him to play Splitter. That's the only way he might insert him into the rotation, other than injury. Even then, he'd probably go down to three bigs, insert Novak into the rotation or play Jefferson as a four more often.

Capt Bringdown
03-15-2011, 02:05 AM
It's clear what needs to happen. Duncan needs to tell him to play Splitter. That's the only way he might insert him into the rotation, other than injury.

These kinds of things happen on other teams. Wouldn't mind seeing it here.

Sean Cagney
03-15-2011, 02:53 AM
You do realize Bonner logged 7 minutes tonight, right? And Gary Neal was 2-13?

Bonner logged 7 damn mins because he let his man score at will on hims in layup drills, Bosh was killing that dude and he logged 7 mins for a reason! If he is not defending and not shooting well then why play him? He did not shoot and did not defend worth a damn, so what is he good for then? I saw him out there I saw some stupid fouls and some blowing by him don't try to sugar coat that there. Neal sucked hell yeah, BUT he has more heart than Bonner IMO and is not a black hole. Bonner is just shyt late in the year, neal that is to be determined.

Buddy Holly
03-15-2011, 03:56 AM
You do realize Bonner logged 7 minutes tonight, right?

Yeah because even Pop realized he was an incredible liability on the court. He was put in and the Heat not only took the lead but went up double digits in the blink of an eye. That's what prompted this thread.