PDA

View Full Version : If we don't resign Devin...

Nephets
06-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Do you think we should go after the FA Antonio Daniels? I sure do.

ducks
06-02-2005, 06:33 PM
and who's minutes would he take?

PM5K
I don't even want to think about the off-season and signing or resigning guys right now....

ducks
and if spurs can not afford brown how can they with ad
who had a great postseason against the spurs

ducks
06-02-2005, 06:40 PM
if spurs do not resign him alot of homers are going to cry a river

PM5K
06-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Well we are making our Championship run without him, he's certainly a very young and talented player with a lot of upside, but if we can't afford to keep him then we can't.

Jdspur20
06-02-2005, 07:25 PM
wrong timing forum.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2005, 07:32 PM
AD couldn't cut it for us before, nothing would change if he came back (unless we were up against the Sonics in a series).

T Park
06-02-2005, 07:35 PM
i would do that.

Antonio has matured, and his jumper has improved quite a bit.

His PG skills also have improved as well.

Kori Ellis
06-02-2005, 07:40 PM
With what money?

I thought everyone wanted Scola here with half the MLE. It's going to take more than the other half of the MLE to get Daniels.

ALVAREZ6
06-02-2005, 07:40 PM
wrong timing forum.
We are on the same page...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm just trying to figure out where you all think AD would get minutes.

We've already got a two deep at both guard spots, and AD isn't strong enough to play at the SF spot, the only weakness on this roster (I don't mean Bowen sucks, I just mean the SF spot is the only area for room for improvement on the two deep - we're set everywhere else).

mookie2001
06-02-2005, 08:00 PM
no
resign devin

Dre_7
06-02-2005, 08:02 PM
I think Devin will re-sign.

Solid D
06-02-2005, 08:07 PM
T Park, you are right-on with your assessment of Daniels. He needs to get paid though, so I don't see him fitting in with the Spurs' salary framework.

I also agree with AHF.

Plus, he's a combo guard, a good +/- impact player but he's not a wing player (2/3). He fits better in Seattle than in SA, based on the Spurs' current personnel.

Duff McCartney
06-02-2005, 08:10 PM
I don't think Devin will command much, especially with his back injury. I think teams that are interested will shy away from him.

T Park
06-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Id package Rasho and Barry up, see if you can get something of worth there, then convince antonio to sign a small deal with the MLE and then give him a beter size contract.

Kori Ellis
06-02-2005, 08:13 PM
If the CBA stays the same, then the Spurs will just have the MLE to spend this summer (approximately $5M) but Devin's salary doesn't come out of it -- they have his Early Bird's Rights.

So when you are planning free agent signings, just keep in mind that the Spurs will only have the MLE to sign Scola and whoever else. Unless you guys are talking about acquiring someone through a trade.

T Park
06-02-2005, 08:16 PM
maybe a sign and trade of Barry for Antonio Daniels???

THat I would go for.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Tpark, I know you really hate Barry, but I just don't see Pop sending him off unless it's in a package to set us at the three for the rest of the Duncan era.

I've gotta laugh though - Nate McMillan said Barry wasn't in their team's future, and you think he is going to take him back in a trade for the guy who is backing up both Ridnour and Ray Allen? Put down the crack pipe.

T Park
06-02-2005, 08:29 PM
I've gotta laugh though - Nate McMillan said Barry wasn't in their team's future, and you think he is going to take him back in a trade for the guy who is backing up both Ridnour and Ray Allen? Put down the crack pipe.

Take Barry, or get nothing for him.

Who wouldve thought the Spurs wouldve taken Steve Smith for Derek Anderson???

No crazier than proposing Rasho and someone for Shane Battier.

T Park
06-02-2005, 08:30 PM
I know you really hate Barry,

as much as you hate pop

Kori Ellis
06-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Would you take Bonzi Wells (and his expiring contract) for Rasho?

T Park
06-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Would you take Bonzi Wells (and his expiring contract) for Rasho?

No, the negatives outweigh the positives.

I would take Bonzi for much cheaper, but not at the expense of a starting center.

Ocotillo
Does Devin go the route of Stephen Jackson or Charles Smith?

Barry and Rasho as a package might attract some interest but it would have to be something really good for the team.

Kori Ellis

It would have to be Shane and someone for Rasho. Shane makes nearly two million dollars less than Rasho next season.

Kori Ellis
06-02-2005, 08:33 PM
No, the negatives outweigh the positives.

I would take Bonzi for much cheaper, but not at the expense of a starting center.

Yeah -- it sucks that he makes $8M next season, but it would be a sweet expiring contract to have.

Solid D
06-02-2005, 08:36 PM
NOOOOOOOOO! Talented, freakish scorer with lack of emotional control. The pain is = or > the pleasure.

Kori Ellis
06-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Does Devin go the route of Stephen Jackson or Charles Smith?

I think the Spurs will offer Devin a two year contract with a team option on the second year (or something like that).

cbrown
06-02-2005, 08:47 PM
How much are we talking about per year to bring in Scola and how good do you guys think this guy can be? I've heard a little about but anyone with more insight?

Solid D
06-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Scola's very good. He's more offensively gifted than on defense and D is what RC had encouraged him to work on while playing for TAU Ceramica. He fouls too much, though.

He was so good in the Olympics that he was basically Argentina's most valuable player in the Gold Medal game against Italy. He was the top scorer and rebounder in that game and he really took up the slack for the injured Oberto. He is the real deal as a basketball player and he's very emotional.

ChumpDumper
06-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Devin's back is poison to GMs right now -- he'll have to prove himself healthy in the Finals or in offseason workouts to get offers more than a few million.

AD is going to start somewhere, maybe Cleveland. All we need is a vet to play spot minutes in case of injuries or crap play by the young'ns. I repeat my pimpage of Nick Van Exel if he becomes available -- he sounds ready to take on that role.

The more I look at the Rasho-for-SF trades the fewer actual possibilities I see that make much sense outside of Memphis. Most potential deals would include the Spurs' taking on too much additional crap to get that one guy. A Memphis deal would be ok since there would only be a couple years of $2-3 million in crap contracts to pay off (Big Jake or Troy Bell) -- not so easy otherwise unless other teams get involved. Of course the new CBA might change everything, including salary matching.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2005, 09:18 PM

Who said Rasho and *someone*?

My list included Battier, but Memphis would have to send another player our way or we'd have to get a third party involved.

Actually getting someone that can contribute makes a lot more sense than your eagerness to trade one bit role player for another.

boutons
06-02-2005, 10:22 PM
"I think the Spurs will offer Devin a two year contract"

how does injury insurance work? but I guess nobody would insure Devin at this point.

For taking on an injured, questionable player, can team have some kind of cancellation if the injury recurs?

angel_luv
06-02-2005, 10:32 PM
I want to keep Devin. Why can't we just leave the team as is? What we have seems to be working well. If it's not broke...

ChumpDumper
06-02-2005, 10:43 PM
For taking on an injured, questionable player, can team have some kind of cancellation if the injury recurs?For longer contracts the deal comes off the books is the injury ends a player's career a period of time after the player last plays. Not much use for short contracts, though again that might change with the new CBA.

clubalien
06-03-2005, 02:46 PM
i think scola is hyped
i would rather have

mohammad, horry, nash before having scola on my team

sungo99
06-03-2005, 03:30 PM
With what money?

I thought everyone wanted Scola here with half the MLE. It's going to take more than the other half of the MLE to get Daniels.

Wait. You're saying he won't take a lifetime supply of bean and cheese tacos from Taco Cabana?

Why the hell do we need another PG anyway?

ducks
06-03-2005, 05:31 PM
ad is not a point guard atleast with the spurs
he sucked at it as a spur

ducks
06-03-2005, 05:38 PM
I do not want ad to go to the cavs

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2005, 06:19 PM
I want to keep Devin. Why can't we just leave the team as is? What we have seems to be working well. If it's not broke.

The problem with this line of thinking is:

1. You're talking about Devin like he's healthy. We don't know what is giong to happen with his back. He could never see the court again, in theory.

2. Bowen is getting up there. The most glaring weakness on this team is at the SF, you've gotta do something to address it.

3. The Spurs make deals for good guys. By the time Nazr leaves he'll be as loved as Malik was in the community, and he'll score a lot more points, block a lot more shots, and grab a lot more rebounds along the way.

i think scola is hyped
i would rather have

Dude, it's not like Scola is going to come in as a replacement for either of Nazr or Horry, he's coming in to play with them.

Kori Ellis
06-03-2005, 09:24 PM
You're talking about Devin like he's healthy. We don't know what is giong to happen with his back. He could never see the court again, in theory.

Just FYI ...

I don't know if you heard yesterday's Pop show, but Pop said that they have been re-assured by doctors that when (not if) Devin gets better he will be as good as before. I know this isn't conclusive evidence. But the Spurs have been told by several different medical people that this is not going to be something to hamper his career. It's not the same as David.

That being said .. I agree with you that the Spurs need to target a young, long 3 this summer.

Dre_7
06-03-2005, 09:54 PM

Nash? Someone said something about Nash?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Kori, that's great to hear, I like what Devin brings ot the table on the court, and as a homegrown product I want to see him succeed.

That said, if there's one thing I've learned from watching sports is that when the back is involved, nothing is absolutely certain WRT injuries.

E20
06-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Who thinks we could get Jack back? He'd be the perfect SF. He is Bowens' size and I heard that Larry Bird didn't want too much hot heads on the team.

Dre_7
06-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Jax is taller then Bowen, isnt he?

E20
06-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Aren't they both around 6'8-6'9?

Dre_7
06-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Bowen is like 6'6"-6'7" and Jax is like 6'8"-6'9" right?

E20
06-03-2005, 10:25 PM
NBA.com says:

Bruce Bowen
Height: 6'7
Weight: 200lbs

Stephen Jackson
Height: 6'8
Weight: 218lbs

B.AlMighty
06-03-2005, 10:34 PM
I'd say let's get some solid veteran players who are willing to play for a decent contract for a chance to win a ring.

Mark in Austin
06-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm still interested to see what The Third can bring to the table...

Kori Ellis
06-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Bowen is like 6'6"-6'7" and Jax is like 6'8"-6'9" right?

Correct. Bowen is a little shorter than his listed 6'7 and Jack is a little taller than his listed 6'8.

xcoriate
06-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Sign AD with what cant someone post a trade/signing that works logistically.

wildbill2u
06-04-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't think Devin will command much, especially with his back injury. I think teams that are interested will shy away from him.

Unless he can play again with his old physical ability and skills, the Spurs won't sign him either. What we really need is a long SF with good defensive and offensive skills. (Duh! Doesn't everybody?) to back up and eventually replace Bowen.

Devin may not be tall enough but could back up if he's healthy.

wildbill2u
06-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Just FYI ...

they have been re-assured by doctors that when (not if) Devin gets better he will be as good as before...But the Spurs have been told by several different medical people that this is not going to be something to hamper his career. . .That being said .. I agree with you that the Spurs need to target a young, long 3 this summer.

Great news about Devin. The key to the future is our long SF spot to replace Bowen. And no more tweeners who can't guard bigger SFs. I don't see the Spurs trying to trade anyone now on the team--if they can keep them within the cap. The key is a draft 'find'--maybe from Africa or Uzbeckistan or somewhere--who will sign for peanuts or just to take showers with Manu and TP. :spin :spin :spin

and I believe the FO can find one. I believe! :elephant

Mr. Body
06-04-2005, 02:06 PM
The key to the future is our long SF spot to replace Bowen. And no more tweeners who can't guard bigger SFs.

With Scola to become the primary low post substitute next year and beyond, this is absolutely true. Bowen will be the first of the starters to become less effective, despite his phenomenal shape. Sanikidze is an interesting prospect, yet a few years away. I have utterly no faith or expectations in Linton Johnson or whatever his name is, and fully expect the Spurs to draft a SF of some kind, whether it's Gelebale or some other International prospect, or Ryan Gomes or some other homegrown product. They really don't have many other needs.