PDA

View Full Version : Matt Bonner

Ice009
03-14-2011, 08:36 PM
What exactly does Pop think Matt Bonner is going to give him to keep playing him so many minutes against the best teams?

When a team wants to take Bonner out of the game and if they are focused on him like the Lakers were last week and the Heat are tonight they will take him out of the game 95% of the time.

Pop has to have some sort of strategy when Bonner is giving the team nothing because he can't keep playing him as he is a defensive sieve. I understand Pop isn't going to flat out bench him, but he's got to have some sort of back up plan because you're going to see teams take out Bonner more and more and not give him three point looks at all.

Bonner's play really depends on TP, Manu and TD. If those guys are killing it then the other team has to focus on them and that gives Bonner his open looks, but I think it will be harder for TP, Manu and TD to get going against the great defensive teams to give Bonner those consistent open looks. It's going to be hard to get a guy shots when he needs to be open as he has a slow three point release. When teams are playing Bonner tight then I'd much rather a player that can at least create his own shot. Splitter hasn't been that good at all, but at least he can get a shot up without being wide open. Anyone have any ideas? Is it too late for Splitter? Is there any other options?

Now defensively has Pop even thought about the consequences of a Bonner and Blair rotation????????????????? It appears he hasn't at all because what good is it up being 3 or 4 when the starters take a rest and being down 10 when they come back. Opposing teams are going to LOVE playing against that rotation. Matt Bonner gives everyone confidence. I feel like I can KICK HIS ASS, so what do you think NBA players think when they face him? They've got to be fucking ECSTATIC when he is guarding them.

Pop needs to have a good think about this strategy because playing Bonner a lot against the best teams and also playing Bonner with Blair too much is not the way to go.

itzsoweezee
03-14-2011, 08:51 PM
This is a problem that's existed for several years now. Popovich has done nothing to suggest over that time that he has a clue. Bonner's become less and less of a role player and more of an integral part of the rotation. It's scary.

Ice009
03-14-2011, 08:58 PM
This is a problem that's existed for several years now. Popovich has done nothing to suggest over that time that he has a clue. Bonner's become less and less of a role player and more of an integral part of the rotation. It's scary.

So what do you think? There is nothing we can do about it? No tweaks the team can make if Bonner is having a bad game to pull him early and go with another option?

How about throwing Novak out there for a few minutes and then trying again with Matt in the next quarter? It's the extended time that Pop gives Bonner when he is playing bad that gets the team in a hole.

I'm not talking about 25 minute games I am talking about Matt Bonner being bad in a 5 minute stretch and leaving him out there too long and the other team gets on a roll and gets a 12-2 run or something like that going. Pop has to take note of those situations early and make a quicker change.

4>0rings
03-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Maybe when McDyess retires Pop will give Bonner his share. That way we can appease Bonner from all his coveters all over the NBA.

3 more years! 3 more years!