PDA

View Full Version : But hey, we have the best regular season record!!!!!

Basketball Power
03-14-2011, 09:24 PM
right? who cares we have no big man and out best big is a HOFer on his last legs, we have the best regular season record so obviously we must be doing something right. I mean, when we beat teams like the Cavs, Pistons, Kings, Rockets, that must mean something come playoff time!!!! :lol

Dice
03-14-2011, 09:30 PM
I agree. This game defines the Spurs entire season and there's no getting over it. We should have traded for all those avaliable free agents.

Troy Murphy wouldn't have let this shit happen. Take Wade out. That's what he'd do.

4>0rings
03-14-2011, 09:32 PM
3 more years!!! 3 more years!!! 3 more years!!!

DieHardSpursFan1537
03-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Homecourt advantage in the playoffs will be huge.

Basketball Power
03-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Homecourt advantage in the playoffs will be huge.

right, I'm sure after the thrashing by the Lakers in SA they are really worried about having to win a game in SA

HC advantage won't get you rebounds over Bynum an Gasol with our midget centers

boutons_deux
03-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Another month of playing like vs Lakers & Heat, Spurs will lose HCA.

Sean Cagney
03-14-2011, 09:45 PM
right, I'm sure after the thrashing by the Lakers in SA they are really worried about having to win a game in SA

HC advantage won't get you rebounds over Bynum an Gasol with our midget centers

This is true!

spursince#99
03-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Lol we should have traded our midget bigs away when we had the chance...

Basketball Power
03-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Lol we should have traded our midget bigs away when we had the chance...

why? we have the best regular season record, doesn't that = championships?

Juggity
03-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Well, I guess one good thing this brings is lowered expectations. if we catch the bitches unawares in the playoffs our chances improve exponentially!

alchemist
03-14-2011, 10:34 PM
you should be enjoying this run, nothing is without criticism of course but who honestly expected these guys to be in this position this late into the season? These games are tough to swallow but that's how it goes sometimes.

Basketball Power
03-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Spurs are NOT and never were a title contender this season

rjv
03-15-2011, 09:01 AM
not so subtle troll thread.

elbamba
03-15-2011, 09:34 AM
To be honest, I will be happy with the regular season best record and not winning in the playoffs. I want another championship for SA, but lets be realistic, did anyone see this team potentially winning 60+ games this year. Last year we looked like we would go under 50 not over in March.

I hope they win it all, but I have enjoyed watching spurs basketball as much this year as any other. This team is old but they are fun to watch. I miss the defense of Bowen and the passing ability of the 07 team, but this year has been a good year for the Spurs.

rjv
03-15-2011, 09:47 AM
spurs can still get by the 1st 2 rounds although a loss to memphis or OKC would not be entirely impossible, especially against OKC.

but they can get by the thunder and then they would more than likely have to face the lakers. this is where it would most likely end and LA would be heavily favored due to their length and the spurs lack of a halfcourt game, which is what really has been exposed over the last 2 games contenders. but to be there with HCA and a chance to see if they can pull the upset would not be all that bad a scenario.

LongtimeSpursFan
03-15-2011, 09:50 AM
right? who cares we have no big man and out best big is a HOFer on his last legs, we have the best regular season record so obviously we must be doing something right. I mean, when we beat teams like the Cavs, Pistons, Kings, Rockets, that must mean something come playoff time!!!! :lol

Ha ha ha...that's so funny.

tuncaboylu
03-15-2011, 10:25 AM

So go and suck a Laker dick.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Oh noes!

cheguevara
03-15-2011, 10:32 AM

stop bitching faggot

Basketball Power
03-15-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm just pointing how how pathetic the Spurs FO was this regular season, did they learn nothing from the Suns teams that had better records then the Spurs but didn't do shit in the playoffs, we were the SA Suns this season. I said it all year because we sucked on defense, had no interior D, out bigs were shit midgets. We had a 6ft7inch C for god sake!!

We would shit on Rasho, Nazr, Oberto, but those were big bodies that took up damn space. It wasn't always about the numbers because they sure as hell didn't produce them but they were starting Cs on a CHAMPIONSHIP teams.

LongtimeSpursFan
03-15-2011, 10:40 AM

Ok, I'll bite. Can you please point out your list of contenders so I can easily discount them?

Basketball Power
03-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Ok, I'll bite. Can you please point out your list of contenders so I can easily discount them?

A contenders: Lakers, Celtics
B contenders: Heat, Mavs
C contenders: Bulls>Spurs

Dice
03-15-2011, 10:56 AM
C contenders? Soooo you're sayin they got a chance?

But I thought you said they were never contenders this season. And now they're C-ranked contenders? What happened? Did we pick up some free agents since then?

Bill_Brasky
03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Nice reverse jinx thread.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-15-2011, 11:01 AM

But I thought you said they were never contenders this season. And now they're C-ranked contenders? What happened? Did we pick up some free agents since then?

Dice > Basketball Power

elbamba
03-15-2011, 11:08 AM
spurs can still get by the 1st 2 rounds although a loss to memphis or OKC would not be entirely impossible, especially against OKC.

but they can get by the thunder and then they would more than likely have to face the lakers. this is where it would most likely end and LA would be heavily favored due to their length and the spurs lack of a halfcourt game, which is what really has been exposed over the last 2 games contenders. but to be there with HCA and a chance to see if they can pull the upset would not be all that bad a scenario.

Exactly. I am not taking this year for granted. The Spurs have given me one last quality year out of Duncan. I thought it was over. If we hit the conference finals, I will be more than satisfied.

I am also still going to be mad at Pop for what I believe was a stubborn waste of Splitter's first year.

Blake
03-15-2011, 11:13 AM
It feels like the spurs are just coasting now.

rascal
03-15-2011, 11:18 AM
The spurs are close but the inability of the front office to bring in a quality frontline player will do them in. Sitting on the roster and not making any moves at the trade deadline because they had the best record was another conservative bad front office decision. The front office is too conservative about getting the last piece or two to push the team over the top. A top front office realizes how close they are and makes that final move.

rascal
03-15-2011, 11:19 AM
It feels like the spurs are just coasting now.

They will coast right out of the playoffs too.

rjv
03-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Exactly. I am not taking this year for granted. The Spurs have given me one last quality year out of Duncan. I thought it was over. If we hit the conference finals, I will be more than satisfied.

I am also still going to be mad at Pop for what I believe was a stubborn waste of Splitter's first year.

well that is a good point. i watched last night and it seems as if pop knows we have to start working on a half court set and it seems as if when dice and timmy are out there we manage just fine and this helps when teams sag on us in the paint. but when we go to the bench and go to small ball we get killed because without the ability to kick out to the shooters our offense shuts down. this is where we could have used splitter as an option down low but apparently pop is not impressed with what tiago has to offer in the post although i agree that splitter has not really been given the chance to show his game.

perhaps more pick and roll sets with manu and blair may work ? hill really does not run the pick and roll offense all that well. (splitter seems to be decent at this so that is another riddle to me)

rjv
03-15-2011, 11:27 AM
The spurs are close but the inability of the front office to bring in a quality frontline player will do them in. Sitting on the roster and not making any moves at the trade deadline because they had the best record was another conservative bad front office decision. The front office is too conservative about getting the last piece or two to push the team over the top. A top front office realizes how close they are and makes that final move.

there were really no options. murphy was not going to be the answer.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-15-2011, 11:31 AM

I think Pop did what he had to do this year. With Splitter getting more time, I don't think they end up with HCA locked up right now. I think the single biggest event that has hurt the Spurs chances at a title is the return of a healthy Bynum to the Lakers. Had he been with them the whole year and playing like this, I think Pop would try to get Tiago more minutes and experience. Who even knew that Bynum would 1) get healthy enough to play and 2) would be able to get to this level this quickly. With Bynum's history, I think there was a lot of doubt how effective he was going to be this year.

Blake
03-15-2011, 11:40 AM
They will coast right out of the playoffs too.

Against who?

Blake
03-15-2011, 11:43 AM
The spurs are close but the inability of the front office to bring iton a quality frontline player will do them in. Sitting on the roster and not making any moves at the trade deadline because they had the best record was another conservative bad front office decision. The front office is too conservative about getting the last piece or two to push the team over the top. A top front office realizes how close they are and makes that final move.

You mean like how conservative they were when they went after rj?

Foolish front office!

LongtimeSpursFan
03-15-2011, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=Basketball Power;5054951]

A contenders:

Lakers - Dont even know who best player on team is? A past his prime superstar that takes his team out of their offensive sets with constant ballhogging and poor shot selection in close games. A power forward that many experts consider 'too soft'. Or a 23 year old man-child that has comes out to play when he feels like it. He is too inconsistent to be counted on during playoffs (also is too injury prone).
This team is very old and lacks any athleticism on the exterior plus their outside shooting is suspect. Says alot about a team when their two best outside shooters are Fisher and Artest.

Celtics - This team is old, unathletic and in a slump losing to subpar teams (Nets, Clippers, Sixers). This is what happens when you play your Big Three too many minutes during the regular season. Their inside presence may be big but do you consider Shaquille O'Neal, Jermaine O'Neal and Big Baby better than SA's big men? Not quite the defensive stalwarts they were a couple of years ago.

B contenders:

Heat - No inside presence. Bosh needs more big games to show he can have an impact in the playoffs. After Bosh they dont have any bigs that are capable of making an impact during the playoffs.
This team reminds me of the USA Basketball team. Lots of potential when they get steals, loose balls or great outlet passes for easy baskets. But pit them against a team that can play great team ball and they resort to one on one basketball. A recipe for second round departure.

Mavs - A jump shooting team that lacks an offensive presence (rank 26th in league with free throw attempts). Four of their top six players are over the age of 30 and one of their starters lacks very little big game/playoff experience. Plus, they are the Dallas Mavericks (similar to the Spurs of the 80's they just seem to lack the mental toughness to winning). If the Lakers are able to secure the 2nd seed I just cant see this Mavs team winning two rounds without HCA.

C contenders:

Bulls - This is really the only team that has so much upside and is difficult to gauge. They are long, athletic, defensive minded and have a great superstar that actually makes his team so much better. Very difficult to find many weaknesses on this team other than they are still young and lack big game playoff experience.

Basketball Power
03-15-2011, 01:43 PM

Spurs have the 6th best chance in winning the title, meaning 5 other teams need to fuck up. Yeah, I'd say the Spurs NEVER had a shot

spurtech09
03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
people up in here need to get over themselves .....should be happy that the spurs have a winning record....who would of know that the spurs would be 53-13 at this point....the spurs must be doing something right to have a 53-13 record.....just a bunch of fakers up in here thats all what it is....I believe spurs will go all the way and win a championship...won't be easy but they will get there....cause I believe:)

Basketball Power
03-15-2011, 05:16 PM
people up in here need to get over themselves .....should be happy that the spurs have a winning record....

so the Spurs went from winning 4 titles in 9 years to they should be happy being +.500?

have we fallen off that fast?

Dice
03-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Spurs have the 6th best chance in winning the title, meaning 5 other teams need to fuck up. Yeah, I'd say the Spurs NEVER had a shot

But suppose in the Mavs/Lakers battle game 7 Dirk and Bynum collide and break their hips. Spurs go on to face the Celtics who have lost Garnett because he chest thumped too hard after dunking on some guard. AND Paul Pierce has lost his lucky headband. He gets a loaner from his good pal Jason Terry but the damn thing keeps falling down over his eyes cause it's too f'n big.

We're right back in it baby!!:lobt2:

Slippy
03-16-2011, 08:51 AM
So the point of this thread is having the best record in the rugular season doesn't cut it. Did the play-offs already happen?

Compared to last season and season before, you think Spurs fans would gladly take it. Go figure? All this un-ravelling from 2 losses in the space of a week. Spurs fans sure are a fickle bunch of emos. It seems, this team has a play-off weakness, that's all that matters.

Forget other good teams have weaknesses too. Why care about this spurs teams' strengths over a season.

So what if they are healthy with a comfortable lead in keeping HCA. Ignore the motivation factor behind it all considering this team's history with injuries, having to fight for play-off positioning around this time. Don't even bother to note that only one team in the west has matched it with the Spurs in the hornets. Put aside what role experience, chemistry and adjustments play in a 7 game series. Pay no attention to the best bunch of shooters surrounding the big three in a very long time. Lets just focus on the negative.

Simply put. This team has given it's self the best shot at winning a title but that's not good enough for some.