PDA

View Full Version : Would the Spurs have made it this far without the Nazr/Malik trade?

IceColdBrewski
06-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Since Nazr has been such a huge factor.

Thoughts?

ALVAREZ6
06-02-2005, 06:34 PM
I don't think so....

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Malik would guard Stoudemire so yes I think they can.

ducks
06-02-2005, 06:37 PM
I do not know
duncan being hurt was not good
now rasho had proved he could score without duncan
if duncan told rasho he needed to score would he with duncan I do not know
I like nazr better then rasho but had the spurs survived tell rasho got healthy then they would have gotten this far

rose could have helped against the suns

easjer
06-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Nope.

Much love for Malik, always, but we needed a true size center. Especially after Rasho's ankle injury.

Nazr's a better hustler and offensive rebounder than Malik.

CosmicCowboy
06-02-2005, 06:40 PM
It would have been a lot harder...thats for sure...Nazr has been very effective...especially rebounding...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Malik would guard Stoudemire so yes I think they can.

:lmao

Malik would have gotten postered enough times for Amare to have a new one for every day of the year.

Mr. Body
06-02-2005, 06:44 PM
His offensive boards have been huge. He has shot a great percentage (.558), gets one block a game (1.06) and nearly one steal a game (.75), in the postseason he has gotten nearly as many offensive boards (3.4) as defensive (3.6). Plus, don't forget he is 1 for 1 from three point land. :)

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 06:48 PM
:lmao

Malik would have gotten postered enough times for Amare to have a new one for every day of the year.
Who doesn't get postered? Malik is physical which is important against Stoudemire.

PM5K
06-02-2005, 06:50 PM
He's also put up very good numbers in fairly limited minutes due to the fact that Phoenix goes "small" all the time.....

Timmy21
06-02-2005, 07:05 PM
No way Rose is no good. He is also undersized. I'm glad they got rid of him

ducks
06-02-2005, 07:07 PM
rember scola is about the same size as rose

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Amare is a PF so it would matchup well.

ALVAREZ6
06-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Scola has 3 inches on him. Plus, he has a better offensive game.

ducks
06-02-2005, 07:09 PM
I did not relize he was 3 inches bigger then him

humm
I still liek k brown over him

PM5K
06-02-2005, 07:10 PM
I wonder what Kwame will be worth next season, it's really hard to say but I think he's got a lot of upside, especially here playing next to Timmy but that's just wishful thinking....

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Amare doesn't have much of a postup game so it wouldn't be such a big deal about height. He just wants to dunk everytime.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2005, 07:12 PM

Scola: 6'8"
Rose: 6'5"

As for Malik, do you really believe, mavsboy, that if Nazr and Tim couldn't guard him, Malik could.

Hell, any contact on Amare was an automatic foul call. Malik would have been fouling out in two minutes.

ALVAREZ6
06-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Scola: 6'8"
Rose: 6'5"

I thought it was more like:
Scola: 6'10"
Rose: 6'7"

?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2005, 07:15 PM
It's called padding your stats.

NASHville
06-02-2005, 07:16 PM
It was a good trade for the Spurs.
The Suns would not have made it this far without the trade for Nash either.

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 07:17 PM
In order of guarding Stoudemire. Duncan, Horry, Rose, and Rasho. That is enough players to put on Amare.

ALVAREZ6
06-02-2005, 07:19 PM
There's no doubt about it that the Nazr for Malik trade was a great move. It was very smart. We brought it a guy that starts now, and has some size, husltes on the boards, gets a lot of offensive boards...he does what we need him to do.

Even though Malik was loved here, the Spurs made the best move for the team.

Supreme Allah
06-02-2005, 07:38 PM
I was one of the few people excited about the trade on this board when it happened. Now everyones on Nazr's nuts like squirrels. Nazr is the x factor!

Im Here Huckleberry
06-02-2005, 08:18 PM
I was one of the few people excited about the trade on this board when it happened. Now everyones on Nazr's nuts like squirrels. Nazr is the x factor!

Nicely put! :lol
I like Malik but I knew we needed another "young" big body with some upside.
I thought it was a good trade when it went down.

How about in the off season we trade Rasho to NY to get Malik back, at least he hustles and isn't afraid of the rim.
Wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2005, 08:25 PM
We don't need an overpaid 6'5" bench warmer back on this team.

The only deal sending out Rasho that makes sense is if we lock up Scola, extend Nazr, and then ship out Rasho for Bowen's replacement at SF.

People need to get it through their skulls that the only times Malik is going to be back in town is the playoffs after his regular season ends in NY and whenever it is each year NY comes to play SA.

1Parker1
06-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Rasho would not have been able to keep up with the Suns and we would have missed out on the 7 or 8 points Nazr averaged in the series.

Furthermore, as much as I love Malik, I don't think he would have been able to handle Amare, get us so many offensive rebounds, and blocked shots that Nazr gave us in this series. Suns would have driven more to the lane and gotten easy buckets. Malik would have brought us energy---which I don't think we really needed in this series because it seemed Spurs brought it every game.

SIDENOTE: Manu looks so HAPPY in your signature pic, Alvarez! Very nice! You can tell he is really enjoying and appreciating this.

picnroll
06-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Speaking of Scola

link (http://www.euroleague.net/)

Scola, Tau up 1-0!
Euroleague runner-up Tau Ceramica stepped strong into the Spanish League semifinals on Thursday when it downed visiting Unicaja 72-63 in the opening game of their best-of-five series. Tau's defense dominated the first and last quarters, while Luis Scola led the offense with 23 points on 9-for-13 shooting and pulled a game-high 8 rebounds.

Solid D
06-02-2005, 08:49 PM
The Spurs may have been able to get this far, but I think they would have had more trouble with Seattle with Malik.

The real question is, would they have been able to get past Miami or Detroit with Malik instead of Nazr? I say probably not. Nazr's length and offensive rebounding for second chance points seems better than Malik's and that's important versus defensive teams who put a premium on getting stops.

Im Here Huckleberry
06-02-2005, 08:51 PM
We don't need an overpaid 6'5" bench warmer back on this team.

The only deal sending out Rasho that makes sense is if we lock up Scola, extend Nazr, and then ship out Rasho for Bowen's replacement at SF.

People need to get it through their skulls that the only times Malik is going to be back in town is the playoffs after his regular season ends in NY and whenever it is each year NY comes to play SA.

Agreed.
The only reason I say that is because I remember the Sean Elliott trade that brought him back and well it wouldn't surprise me.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2005, 09:20 PM
The difference is Elliott was one of the better swing men in the league at that time.

You can't even put Malik at the top of the list for bench big men.

Im Here Huckleberry
06-02-2005, 09:29 PM
All I know is I was not upset with the trade of Malik for Nazr, I liked Nazr when he was in Atlanta with Ratliff.
He obviously made an impact when it counted.
Props to Pop for having the cajones to pull the trigger.

IceColdBrewski
06-02-2005, 10:14 PM
All I know is I was not upset with the trade of Malik for Nazr, I liked Nazr when he was in Atlanta with Ratliff.
He obviously made an impact when it counted.
Props to Pop for having the cajones to pull the trigger.

"I'm Here Huckleberry."????

Dude. I hate to tell you this but the actual line in that movie is "I'm your Huckleberry."

:lol

SequSpur
06-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Would Muhammed start if it wasn't for Rasho getting hurt?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

angel_luv
06-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Malik was a winner. He helped us win two titles.
We were unbelieveably blessed to have gained another champion in Nazr.

I think that both Nazr and Malik ( whom I still really miss, btw) have been indispensable to this ball club, in their own way at their own time.

IceColdBrewski
06-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Would Muhammed start if it wasn't for Rasho getting hurt?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sounds like a good idea for a thread title. Too bad you wasted it here.

wildbill2u
06-02-2005, 10:52 PM
We wouldn't be in this position without NASR. Thank Malik for his contributions but it was time for him to go. His biggest contribution in this season was as trade bait for NASR.

T Park
06-02-2005, 10:56 PM
You know, Sequ asks a fantastic question.

Was the Rasho injury a blessing in disguise???

Weird. It seemed that giving him the starting job boosted him and he took advantage of it.

I cant wait to see how he is next year healthy and after a Spurs training camp.

hahaha.....

Im Here Huckleberry
06-02-2005, 10:57 PM
"I'm Here Huckleberry."????

Dude. I hate to tell you this but the actual line in that movie is "I'm your Huckleberry."

:lol

Yeah i found that out months after i created the name.. :lol
thanks for calling me out on it though ... :rolleyes

Guess ole huck will be disappear... :lol

Unless I can get it changed, is that possible?

IceColdBrewski
06-02-2005, 10:59 PM
I was one of the few people excited about the trade on this board when it happened. Now everyones on Nazr's nuts like squirrels!

My thoughts exactly. If I had a dollar for every Spurs fan who questioned this trade I'd be a rich man. I was one of the few who gave it the thumbs up when so many were against it. Now everyone wants to pretend they knew it was a good move from the start.

2centsworth
06-02-2005, 11:00 PM
It's I'm your huckleberry.

IceColdBrewski
06-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Yeah i found that out months after i created the name.. :lol
thanks for calling me out on it though ... :rolleyes

Guess ole huck will be disappear... :lol

Unless I can get it changed, is that possible?

Sorry. Didn't mean to put ya out there. That wasn't my intention.

Yes. It's possible to change it. :smokin

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2005, 11:18 PM

So did Jaren Jackson and Mario Elie, but that doesn't mean they're still useful to the team.

T Park
06-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Jaren Jackson

I think he hurt the team in the fact of giving a good sized contract to a guy after having a good playoffs.

ALA Jackson, Stephen....
Claxton, Speedy

timvp
06-03-2005, 12:13 AM
So did Jaren Jackson and Mario Elie, but that doesn't mean they're still useful to the team.

Somebody needs a Spurs history course.

timvp
06-03-2005, 12:14 AM
Oh and major props to Nazr. At first I thought it was a pretty even trade. Then I was hard on him when he sucked. But Nazr's turned it around and has played awesome.

Good trade. He's the final piece to the starting lineup.

:smokin

Old School Chic
06-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Malik was a great player but I have to admit that Nazr Is much better for the team. Now, Rasho In the other hand needs to start packing

He SUX!

Chris
06-03-2005, 12:45 AM
The trade involving Malik was about money and cap space. I think we all know that. Has everyone forgot Rasho's incredible D and occasional 15+ point games. He has has 2 leg injuries this year. Last time I checked it helps to have healthy legs in basketball. Naz is great but don't be surprised when Rasho comes out starting next year.

timvp
06-03-2005, 12:52 AM
The trade involving Malik was about money and cap space. I think we all know that. Has everyone forgot Rasho's incredible D and occasional 15+ point games. He has has 2 leg injuries this year. Last time I checked it helps to have healthy legs in basketball. Naz is great but don't be surprised when Rasho comes out starting next year.

1) Rasho will never start on the Spurs again unless Nazr or Tim get injured.
2) Trading Malik wasn't about cap space.
3) Rasho had one game in which he scored more than 15 points his year.
4) Rash is said to be 100% by his own admission.
5) Rasho's D is good. Not incredible.

Plain and simple, Rasho got Wally Pip'ed. I feel sorry for him a little bit, but it looks like he's having the time of his life on the bench. He's all smiles on the sidelines. He's supporting everyone ... and that's all you can really ask from him with him being in the position he's in.

In the Finals, he should get some run. It'll be interesting to see how he performes.

IceColdBrewski
06-03-2005, 12:52 AM
The trade involving Malik was about money and cap space. I think we all know that.

If it were only about "money and cap space", they would have made the trade a long time ago. Thank God the FO was smart enough to wait until the deal was right. In this case, they got a replacement for their shitty center.

Chris
06-03-2005, 01:09 AM
You say its not about money and cap space but you seem to have forgotten Parker's "healthy" extension several months before the trade occurred. Not to mention Manu was re-signed with a lucrative extension as well. Holtz notices that he's paying over 6 million to someone who see's maybe 15 minutes in a game and is quite past their prime. It all about the dinero man.

Kori Ellis
06-03-2005, 01:11 AM
It might have been about money in the sense that they didn't want to pay for someone who wasn't playing. But it wasn't about cap space. The Spurs didn't have any cap space before he was traded and don't have any now.

IceColdBrewski
06-03-2005, 01:15 AM
It might have been about money in the sense that they didn't want to pay for someone who wasn't playing.

Exactly. That's the only way you can convince me about the whole "money" thing.

They were big-time overpaying for a guy that didn't even play half the time. So yes. I guess it was about money.

Chris
06-03-2005, 01:16 AM
I was wrong about the cap space. Sorry. :rolleyes

cqsallie
06-03-2005, 01:28 AM
If you listened to the Pop Show on 760 today, the same question was asked of him - although the Malik Rose trade wasn't brought up. Pop stated that he was pleasantly surprised by Nazr's abilities and contributions. I think if you listened to it, you wouldn't have to ask many more questions about Nazr and what he's meant to the Spurs.
Love you!!!

Spurgal
06-03-2005, 04:01 AM
Would the Spurs have made it this far without the Nazr/Malik trade?

Yes.

Unfortunately, as much as I like and miss Malik being a Spurs player, I have to admit that the trade was for the best.

Nazr Is doing a great job with the team and I'm sure Malik will do just fine with whatever NBA team he plays for. Who knows maybe one day we will see him In a Spurs uniform again but until then all we can do Is wish him the best.

Vashner
06-03-2005, 05:09 AM
With Malik they COULD of still been in the Finals. They did win 2 rings with him BTW...

Useruser666
06-03-2005, 08:00 AM
With Malik they COULD of still been in the Finals. They did win 2 rings with him BTW...

The Spurs won two rings with Malik as their starting center?

ObiwanGinobili
06-03-2005, 08:43 AM
I actually don;t think so.
Not that I'm all anti-rasho or anything. Nad I love Mailk too...

BUt Nazr's brought that french thing we need.. you know the jen se qua or whatever.

ObiwanGinobili
06-03-2005, 08:44 AM

UH HEHM: david robinson. ring a bell?

Friscospur
06-03-2005, 10:20 AM
NO WAY IN THE WORLD. Malik was a huge liablity and turnover prone...

angel_luv
06-03-2005, 06:22 PM

That is a valid point and why I said:

"We were unbelieveably blessed to have gained another champion in Nazr. " and both Nazr and Malik have been indispensable to this ball club, in their own way at their own time.