PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the Spurs?

ChrisRichards
03-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Beat down (Lakers) after beat down (Heat) from contenders.

Are they finally showing their age late into the season?

Are they only built for regular season just like the Cavs last year?

Or are they simply coasting?

ManuBalboa
03-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Duncan is done.
Weak excuse for a frontline.
No inside presence.
Pathetic Defense.
Gimmick Offense.

v2freak
03-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Seeing as how it is still the regular season, I think the answer to your second question is no. If anything it seems they are ready for the playoffs to begin. Let Wade and James get their dunks and celebrations in now.

ezau
03-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Coasting TBH.

ElNono
03-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Trying to make it interesting after everybody else sucked for the season...

timtonymanu
03-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Hill is a vagina.
RJ doesn't seem focused a lot.
Bonner/Blair is a terrible front line.
Defense isn't improving.
Spurs overall attitude is to coast.

They are playing like how they did in 08-10. Barely squeaking by non-contenders. Looking like pussies against the best teams.

Cry Havoc
03-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Just

http://www.gaminggenerations.com/store/images/Cruisin_USA_N64.jpg

PublicOption
03-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Hill is a vagina.
RJ doesn't seem focused a lot.
Bonner/Blair is a terrible front line.
Defense isn't improving.
Spurs overall attitude is to coast.

They are playing like how they did in 08-10. Barely squeaking by non-contenders. Looking like pussies against the best teams.

STFU

they are getting played by the league as per usual. what is amazing is the league puts the hammer down when it wants its favorites to succeed.

the ONLY thing the refs in the NBA can't control is hot shooting from outside the 3 point line.

the officiating was obviously one sides tonight yet Pop didn't get T'd up or thrown out......the Spurs are coasting and they will fuck shit up in the playoffs.

SourCandy
03-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Spurs are a great team tbh. However I can usually see if they are gonna win or not by the end of the 1st qtr. I don't know it it's just me but once they suck on the 1st they suck till the end.

Reck
03-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Those 4 championships seem to think differently.

Comparing the cavs with the Spurs is laughable.

I wanna say they are in coasting mode but not really.

There is no reason to be losing by a margin of 20 points to elite teams.

Tonight's game was badly coached by Pop, that is all.

Oh and the players didn't care to lose because they played with zero confidence or want.

jag
03-14-2011, 09:51 PM
STFU

they are getting played by the league as per usual. what is amazing is the league puts the hammer down when it wants its favorites to succeed.

the ONLY thing the refs in the NBA can't control is hot shooting from outside the 3 point line.

the officiating was obviously one sides tonight yet Pop didn't get T'd up or thrown out......the Spurs are coasting and they will fuck shit up in the playoffs.

:lol

in2deep
03-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Defense sucks.

ChrisRichards
03-14-2011, 09:55 PM
I don't know about you guys but if Chris Bosh is dropping 30 points on Tim Duncan and Tony McDyess then I can't imagine what Lamarcus Aldrige's average against them in the playoffs.

Spurs are battle tested, that much is true, but sometimes old age and lack of depth can take a toll on any team come playoff time.

BlackSwordsMan
03-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Its only a 100$ why can't you pay kori?

Bill_Brasky
03-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Defense just isn't there at this point, and I'm starting to worry. I can see dropping a couple of close ones to scrub teams but to get blown out against 2 contenders the way they did is just inexcusable.

jag
03-14-2011, 10:00 PM
I don't know about you guys but if Chris Bosh is dropping 30 points on Tim Duncan and Tony McDyess then I can't imagine what Lamarcus Aldrige's average against them in the playoffs.

Spurs are battle tested, that much is true, but sometimes old age and lack of depth can take a toll on any team come playoff time.

The Spurs have depth, and other than Duncan they don't really "look" old. They just have no size...which is painful to watch. If for no other reason than allowing a white man to get some NBA minutes, Tiago Splitter's 7-foot ass needs some minutes over Blair when matching up with other 7-footers.

ChrisRichards
03-14-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm going to give the Spurs all the benefit of a doubt, but tbh, they are not going past the Lakers or OKC if they ever meet those teams. Size and youth is going to kill them when other teams adust the tempo of their game. Without Duncan playing near an All Star form, it will be difficult for them to advance further. I won't be surprised either if Portland or Memphis pulls an upset in the first rd.

Cry Havoc
03-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Spurs are 7 games up in the West and people are wondering why it's hard for them to come out playing to win every night. :lol

ChrisRichards
03-14-2011, 10:06 PM
The Spurs have depth, and other than Duncan they don't really "look" old. They just have no size...which is painful to watch. If for no other reason than allowing a white man to get some NBA minutes, Tiago Splitter's 7-foot ass needs some minutes over Blair when matching up with other 7-footers.
No offense, the quality of their depth pales in comparison to other contenders they'll face in the West (Mavs/Lakers & OKC)

With

ChrisRichards
03-14-2011, 10:07 PM
No offense, the quality of their depth pales in comparison to other contenders they'll face in the West (Mavs/Lakers & OKC)

With no

ChrisRichards
03-14-2011, 10:07 PM

jag
03-14-2011, 10:12 PM

The Spurs problem isn't depth, it's size. If you want to include their lack of big men as a depth problem, then I guess you're right in that sense. But they have good backcourt/shooting depth. No coach is going to run a 10 man rotation in the playoffs...rosters get cut down to 7-8 players. So it doesn't really matter if JJ Barea is better than Steve Novak.

Spur_Fanatic
03-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Shit happens. Or Pop is playing mind games. :D

When Heat lost the previous game, no one though the Heat were done (and Heat were on a serious bad streak). Bosh owned the Spurs early on this one, and there was no real effort to climb that one up. And the refs didn't helped.

Still, Heat deserved the win more, gratz.

j.dizzle
03-14-2011, 10:20 PM
STFU

How hard are they gonna fuck shit up? :lol

Dunc n Dave
03-14-2011, 10:26 PM

No offense, but you are a welcher who needs to pay up or shut up...

j.dizzle
03-14-2011, 10:27 PM
I didnt get to watch the game today but a few key things with the Spurs.
1. Hill has regressed a lot & is damn near missing in action on the road.
2. Dick keeps getting limper & limper as the playoffs get closer.
3. Manu cant take over games like he was in the beginning of the season.
4. Gary Neal has never seen a shot he didnt like haha.
5. I dont know why Pop never plays Splitter. He might be soft but Bonner is a huge liability out there. Everyone knows he wont hit half his 3's in the playoffs.

ManuBalboa
03-14-2011, 10:28 PM
lol coasting

They can't even get good shots up ffs. brb trying a high pick'n'roll, didn't work, brb trying again, brb no one can post up on this team, brb let's try an iso, brb that doesn't work, brb take shit shot or let bonner drive

hater
03-14-2011, 10:29 PM
^ agree with all except 4

Neal is our only guy who still confident out ther

jag
03-14-2011, 10:38 PM
I didnt get to watch the game today but a few key things with the Spurs.

5. I dont know why Pop never plays Splitter. He might be soft but Bonner is a huge liability out there. Everyone knows he wont hit half his 3's in the playoffs.

I joke about Splitter being set free, but on the real, does Pop plan on matching Blair/Duncan against Gasol/Bynum? That's absurd. McDyess can give good minutes against Gasol but Blair can't matchup with Gasol, Bynum or Odom. I don't even want to talk about Bonner. But I know a McDyess/Duncan duo can't be out there for 48 min.

manufan10
03-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Everyone knows he wont hit half his 3's in the playoffs.

So, he'll shoot 50%. That's good enough for me. :D

:lol

jjktkk
03-14-2011, 10:52 PM
No excuse Miami handed the Spurs their ass tonight. S.A. needs to solve the opponents defense when they take away their 3s. This has been a problem when the Spurs are facing elite defensive teams.

Roger Freemason Jr.
03-15-2011, 06:30 AM
I agree with SourCandy, I can always tell if the Spurs are going to win or lose by the way they look in the 1st quarter. but I also agree with Cry, The Spurs have every right to not push themselves to their limits every night, they've won far more games than any other team thus far, & it's not like they've been on a worrisome lose-streak, they've shown consistency in winning.

Size is a problem, but Pop dug a specific hole, and he's going to either live or die in it. If we win it this year, it will because of our backcourt, & Tony Parker's leadership.

Muser
03-15-2011, 07:36 AM
Spurs cruising, you can see it recently. WCF, lose to LA in 6 IMO.

spursfan09
03-15-2011, 07:59 AM
We have a target on our backs, and right now these games mean more to the other team for positioning and all that.

KidCongo
03-15-2011, 08:31 AM
The Heat are closer to being the Cavs of last year than the Spurs.

Edit*

I guess it also shows the importance of motivation to an athlete as if we didn't know...

Ashy Larry
03-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Its only a 100$ why can't you pay kori?

LOL ..... obviously this went unnoticed

Shank
03-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Spurs cruising, you can see it recently. WCF, lose to LA in 6 IMO.

Cruising? It didn't look like an issue with effort last night. That was a straight ass-kicking by a team that locked down on the Spurs attempt to execute and took away their favorite options. You know, the same sorts of things you tend to see when the playoffs roll around.

JamStone
03-15-2011, 09:41 AM
My thing is that while considering their record you can understand why they'd be coasting at this point, you never want to lose to another good team by 20+ points, much less 30 points. At some point against teams like the Lakers and Heat, when you get down big, your pride should kick in and you make it at least reasonably competitive. I can even understand getting blown out by a bad team more than a good or elite team because it truly would have to be boredom or not caring against a bad team. Against the good teams in the league, it makes you wonder.

What seems apparent is that when the Spurs are hitting their three pointers, their offense is virtually unstoppable. And Bonner and Neal and Jefferson have had some crazy games putting up three pointers. If they don't hit, they are very beatable. I saw Tim Duncan air ball two shots within 5 feet last night. I'm not sure what's going on with Tim. He can't have fallen that far. But their game now is very reliant getting in the open court, slashing, and hitting three point shots. But what of the old adage "live by the three, die by the three?" It's not the style of play that wins in the playoffs. It's not how the Spurs won their other championships.

It will be very interesting to see what happens in the Western Conference playoffs.

ManuBalboa
03-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Why would the Spurs coast when they still have lots of developing to do if they want to win a ring this year? Has anyone actually seen signs of improvement in the defense in the last 3 months??? Pop/Spurs FO, best in the league, is really that ignorant thinking they are good to go for the playoffs? :downspin:

Then again, Pop thinks it's good for your big men to shoot 15 footers and your guards to score all the points in the paint.

Dex
03-15-2011, 11:45 AM
CIA Pop's not going to run plays for the last month of the season.

picc84
03-15-2011, 02:25 PM
The Spurs problem is that Duncan is no longer a dominant player. Or even a very good one. It begins and ends with that. And it started in the playoffs last year, in the 2nd round. He looked good vs the Mavs. But by the time they played the Suns he regressed, and you saw what happened.

Duncan anchored the defense and offense, and its just not there anymore. Wade's block just personified how he's looked this year. The Spurs are now a jumpshooting, perimeter-oriented team who can beat anyone and beat them bad when they get good looks and the shots are falling. Just like the Suns were.

#41 Shoot Em Up
03-15-2011, 02:33 PM
What's up with the Spurs?

They suck......simple enough

Agloco
03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
They suck......simple enough

Losses to the Heat and LA: Spurs suck. :rolleyes

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Uhhh, nothing is up with the Spurs.

They're simply playing Spurs basketball.