PDA

View Full Version : Reality of the Stats: Points in the Paint

Creation88
03-14-2011, 10:43 PM
as the season sits the Lakers are #1 in defending in the paint and #4 in scoring in the paint.

the Spurs are just 14th in defending and 20th in scoring in the paint. this puts a huge amount of pressure on outside shooters (Bonner, Jefferson, Neal) to knock down big shots down the stretch.

too many jumpers and not enough easy baskets could be our doom. :sick

weebo
03-14-2011, 10:52 PM
ya the Spurs are FUCKING SOFT

SenorSpur
03-14-2011, 10:53 PM
I've said this before, yet it bears repeating. You cannot beat size and length with long-distance shooting - especially now since the better opponents are going to be diligent about driving the Spurs shooters off the arc.

MaNu4Tres
03-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Championships are won in the paint on both ends. Always has, always will.

Why Pop has been playing the players that aren't conducive to this simple equation boggles my mind. (Bonner-ball, small-ball--aka live and die by the 3 while sacrificing rebounding and defense in the interior) :shootme

Playing Splitter significant (15-20 minutes) will give the team it's best fighting chance.

Budkin
03-14-2011, 11:09 PM
How the hell did we end up with the record we have? I still don't get it. I know we got a good number of wins against teams missing major players but still...

MaNu4Tres
03-14-2011, 11:17 PM
How the hell did we end up with the record we have? I still don't get it. I know we got a good number of wins against teams missing major players but still...

Same way Dallas and Phoenix did all throughout the mid 00's til now.

Having the better offense when defenses aren't fully prepared on a game to game basis in a rough 82 game schedule.

That all changes in the playoffs when teams can diligently prepare their defensive game plan for weeks. Which almost always beats teams like Dallas, Phoenix and this Spurs team (to a degree).

Those Dallas/Phoenix teams didn't have the defense to make as many stops as their adversary; which lead to their demise. (In other words defense wins championships.)

MaNu4Tres
03-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I've said this before, yet it bears repeating. You cannot beat size and length with long-distance shooting - especially now since the better opponents are going to be diligent about driving the Spurs shooters off the arc.

It sure does, so I'll repeat it again.

You cannot beat size and length with long-distance shooting- especially now since the better opponents are going to be diligent about driving the Spurs shooters off the arc.

2Cleva
03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Creation88 - Where did you get those stats from?

LongtimeSpursFan
03-15-2011, 12:19 PM
as the season sits the Lakers are #1 in defending in the paint and #4 in scoring in the paint.

the Spurs are just 14th in defending and 20th in scoring in the paint. this puts a huge amount of pressure on outside shooters (Bonner, Jefferson, Neal) to knock down big shots down the stretch.

too many jumpers and not enough easy baskets could be our doom. :sick

Yet they were dominated recently by Cousins from the Sacramento Kings, the upstart Cleveland Cavaliers and the great Chris Bosh.

ShoogarBear
03-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Yet they were dominated recently by Cousins from the Sacramento Kings, the upstart Cleveland Cavaliers and the great Chris Bosh.

When the NBA goes to a single-elimination tournament, that will be something to be concerned about.

MaNu4Tres
03-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Just a friendly reminder ST.

Bruno
03-15-2011, 07:05 PM
http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/points-in-paint-per-game
Memphis, Clippers, Toronto and Sacramento lead the league in points scored in the paint. I'm not sure it's a good stat to show teams success.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/opponent-points-in-paint-per-game
On the other hand, Boston, Orlando and Chicago lead the league in points allow in the paint which tend to prove that it's a good stat to judge a defense. Spurs are 17th which is bad and worrisome.

Creation88
03-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Chuck said we were overrated bc we took too many jumpers and didn't get enough easy ones, i thought he was full of shit until i saw these stats. :depressed