PDA

View Full Version : Laker fans, who do you see as your biggest threat in the West?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-16-2011, 02:22 AM
?

PGDynasty24
03-16-2011, 02:32 AM
Andrew Bynum's Knee

namlook
03-16-2011, 02:35 AM
Room service at whatever hotel the Lakers are staying at.

IronMaxipad
03-16-2011, 02:36 AM
Lakers

usdane
03-16-2011, 03:02 AM
The injury bug. I respect the Spurs and Mavs (seasoned quality playoff teams).

I do think Portland can be very dangerous with the addition of Wallace and the return of Roy.

The Gemini Method
03-16-2011, 03:03 AM
Bynum's knees + Memphis = Disaster for Wilt Mikan Jabbar Shaq Russell Bynum and Lakers...fwiw tbqh...

ginobili's bald spot
03-16-2011, 03:09 AM
San Antonio and Dallas are obviously the only teams in the west that are potential answers. But I don't think either really stands out as far as threat level. They're both pretty equal in that regard.

LkrFan
03-16-2011, 04:55 AM
Mavs.

TheManFromAcme
03-16-2011, 06:10 AM
I'll wait til after the April 12th game between SA and LA. If SA comes into staples and beats us, then we got ourselves a potentially tight race here. If LA evens the series and wins convincingly, then the proverbial nail has been hammered into the Spurs coffin.

...I am gonna wait.

Not sleeping on the Spurs.

TampaDude
03-16-2011, 06:48 AM
I'll wait til after the April 12th game between SA and LA. If SA comes into staples and beats us, then we got ourselves a potentially tight race here. If LA evens the series and wins convincingly, then the proverbial nail has been hammered into the Spurs coffin.

...I am gonna wait.

Spurs will probably have HCA locked up before then, and will be resting their starters, rendering that game meaningless.

TheManFromAcme
03-16-2011, 06:58 AM
Spurs will probably have HCA locked up before then, and will be resting their starters, rendering that game meaningless.

I don't know about that Tampa. I think Pop wants that psychological edge for his guys. He's not resting anyone for that match-up. Once April starts the sprint starts. You want any and all momentum going into the POs.

TampaDude
03-16-2011, 06:59 AM
I don't know about that Tampa. I think Pop wants that psychological edge for his guys. He's not resting anyone for that match-up. Once April starts the sprint starts. You want any and all momentum going into the POs.

You don't know Pop very well, then.

TheManFromAcme
03-16-2011, 07:05 AM

Probably don't but as an arm-chair coach, it wouldn't make sense to me either.

What's the series? 2-1, spurs advantage? Both drubbed each other once and one close one?

Don't know Tampa. I think Pop wants this one.

ElNono
03-16-2011, 07:30 AM
Don't know Tampa. I think Pop wants this one.

2Cleva
03-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Honestly, I don't see a legit threat in the West to beat LA 4 out of 7 times.

To beat LA (or come close as Hou did) you have to have a few things.

- physical play inside to deter Pau and LO.
- Great rebounders to beat LA on the boards.
- Physical defender against Kobe to force him into bad looks.
- Able to dictate a game into more of a grind than what LA wants.
- Have a PG who can break LA down but creates for others more than just a scorer.

SA falls far too short in not having the D, rebounding, or physical play.

Dallas doesn't have the physical play inside, Kidd can't break down LA's D, and no one can guard Kobe.

OKC doesn't have the PG play that hurts LA the most. Westbrook can create fine for himself but not for others when he penetrates. OKC can't control tempo and win a grind either.

LA isn't unbeatable but their is a clear way of attacking them in the playoffs. No one in the West can do that 4 times in 2 weeks.

Giuseppe
03-16-2011, 07:47 AM
You have to have mental toughness to beat Bryant, Fisher and Jackson.

Only San Antonio holds those qualities in the West.

The remainder just have sustained commotion.

TheManFromAcme
03-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Just pencil us in the finals already.

Wish I had your fortitude Luva....
.....I am just a perpetual pessimist....:(

:tu

Giuseppe
03-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Wish I had your fortitude Luva....
.....I am just a perpetual pessimist....:(

I'm with Acme in the "perpetual pessimist" corner.

Luva had to drag me kickin' & screamin' last June.

hater
03-16-2011, 08:36 AM

hater
03-16-2011, 08:36 AM

:lmao pencil

Giuseppe
03-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Hell, we weren't even a blimp on the radar after the Cleveland Fiasco.

cobbler
03-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Only Laker obsticle is themselves.

cobbler
03-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Hell, we weren't even a blimp on the radar after the Cleveland Fiasco.

They never learn...

Giuseppe
03-16-2011, 08:54 AM
They never learn...

Hell, I was starting to de-learn, Cobby.

We started playing that defense of the Daddy Days where the opponent is trying to run their offense by peeking over their shoulder, protecting the ball.

Just thank Christ Artest had the gumption to approcch Kobe in that shower.

cobbler
03-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Hell, I was starting to de-learn, Cobby.

We started playing that defense of the Daddy Days where the opponent is trying to run their offense by peeking over their shoulder, protecting the ball.

Just thank Christ Artest had the gumption to approcch Kobe in that shower.

3 weeks ago we were the laughing stock to everyone. Now they are looking at all the scenarios to avoid. It's slowly sinking in, again.

tlongII
03-16-2011, 09:42 AM
We're not looking to avoid anybody.

Giuseppe
03-16-2011, 10:42 AM
We're not looking to avoid anybody.

You'll be like the old Kings:::spend the entire ramp up wringing your hands, bitching about the refs & talking under your breath about Kobe.:rolleyes

Kinda like here.

TheMACHINE
03-16-2011, 11:08 AM
i think mavs are more of a threat then the spurs.

ChrisRichards
03-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Lakers are quite possibly the luckiest team in the league. The very few teams capable of beating them suffered some key injuries. Portland lost Roy and Oden. Houston lost Tmac and Yao in 2008. Boston missed Perkins' presence in Game 7 and Jameer Nelson who historically owns the Lakers in 2008 dislocated his shoulder.

If that is not luck I dont know what is.

The Gemini Method
03-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Lakers are quite possibly the luckiest team in the league. The very few teams capable of beating them suffered some key injuries. Portland lost Roy and Oden. Houston lost Tmac and Yao in 2008. Boston missed Perkins' presence in Game 7 and Jameer Nelson who historically owns the Lakers in 2008 dislocated his shoulder.

Don't see any of the aforementioned injuries really derailing the Lakers except, maybe, the Perkins injury. Don't know what quantifies 'luck' in your book, but every single champion in sports has to have some degree of luck on their side.

Giuseppe
03-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Luck (good & bad) is a major sector to (winning & losing) an NBA Championship. No doubt about it.

Perkins not only missed Game 7 last June, he missed 3/4's of Game 6. When that injury occurred we went from ruminating & searching for a way not to lose to having a relieved high probability of winning. It was a cathartic moment in the championship quest. Jackson, Bryant and Fish recognized it immediately. They had not only lost Perkins, but, Wallace was compromised as well by the Perkin's injury. We could mentally handle Wallace then with Perkins completely out of the picture. It was an incredible & fortunate turn of events there.

TheManFromAcme
03-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Luck (good & bad) is a major sector to (winning & losing) an NBA Championship. No doubt about it.

Perkins not only missed Game 7 last June, he missed 3/4's of Game 6. When that injury occurred we went from finding a way not to lose to having a high probability of winning. Jackson, Bryant and Fish recognized it immediately. They had not only lost Perkins, but, Wallace was compromised as well by the Perkin's injury. We could mentally handle Wallace then with Perkins completely out of the picture. It was an incredible & fortunate turn of events there.

hitmanyr2k
03-16-2011, 11:22 AM

- Have a PG who can break LA down but creates for others more than just a scorer.

Those are the main reasons I'm confident the Bulls could give LA a good series and beat them...if they made it to the Finals.

bostonguy
03-16-2011, 11:25 AM
The fact that Bynum was injured and hardly played game 7 negates the Perkins injury excuse. The Celts had a 13 point lead and Sheed stepped up. Yeah they got killed on the boards, but they had a 13 point lead in the 3rd quarter. They were in great position to win that game still.

The Gemini Method
03-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Those are the main reasons I'm confident the Bulls could give LA a good series and beat them...if they made it to the Finals.

Noah would be the one the Bulls could count on giving the Lakers trouble. Boozer, on the other hand, is perennially L.A.'s cabana boy.

SourCandy
03-16-2011, 11:33 AM

I also for some reason see the blazers throwing a wrench in the lakers plan.

ChrisRichards
03-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Don't see any of the aforementioned injuries really derailing the Lakers except, maybe, the Perkins injury. Don't know what quantifies 'luck' in your book, but every single champion in sports has to have some degree of luck on their side.
True, I'm just saying that among some of the most revered Back to Back NBA champions in history (Rockets, Bulls, Celtics & Showtime Lakers) I think the Kobe led Lakers had the easiest path because of some really unusual injuries from teams who weere legitimately a threat to them.

The Bulls had to face a complete Knicks, Jazz, Suns, Blazers, Heat & Sonics team. The Rockets dismantled a perfectly healthy New York and Olrando team. The 80's Celtics/Lakers team were beating the hell out of each other with most of its key players intact.

I mean come on. The Blazers own the Lakers @ the Garden. They were young, athletic and pretty deep. But injuries to Oden & Roy recently have pretty much sealed their fate. They were that one team IMO that can beat the Lakers before OKC came. Jameer has owned the Lakers PG's in the past. In those two big wins in 2008 against the Lakers, Nelson was the constant threat. Houston was on their way to upset the Lakers in the second round when Yao went down in Game 2 or 3. And of course, who couldve dismmised the absence of Perkins? The Celtics were outrebounded in that series with Kobe grabbing 15 of them. Just tells you how much the Celtics missed a huge body like Perkins down low.

hitmanyr2k
03-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Noah would be the one the Bulls could count on giving the Lakers trouble. Boozer, on the other hand, is perennially L.A.'s cabana boy.

That was because Boozer was all by himself on those Jazz teams. He was supposed to be Utah's "big man" which is laughable against the likes of Odom, Gasol, and Bynum. Boozer can't play that role. He's too soft. Same goes for Amare when he was with Phoenix. The Lakers feasted on the boards against those cupcake frontlines. With the Bulls Boozer has legit help in the paint with Noah, Taj Gibson, Asik, and Kurt Thomas who are all more physical and capable defenders. Boozer is mainly there for rebounding and to give Rose a 2nd or 3rd option on offense.

CavsSuperFan
03-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Lakers are quite possibly the luckiest team in the league...

Roy and Oden...:lmao
Tmac and Yao...:lmao
Jameer Nelson...:lmao

Come on…You can’t be serious…That is like saying Ferrari is lucky that Kia did not show up for the race….

The Gemini Method
03-16-2011, 11:43 AM
True, I'm just saying that among some of the most revered Back to Back NBA champions in history (Rockets, Bulls, Celtics & Showtime Lakers) I think the Kobe led Lakers had the easiest path because of some really unusual injuries from teams who weere legitimately a threat to them.

The Bulls had to face a complete Knicks, Jazz, Suns, Blazers, Heat & Sonics team. The Rockets dismantled a perfectly healthy New York and Olrando team. The 80's Celtics/Lakers team were beating the hell out of each other with most of its key players intact.

I mean come on. The Blazers own the Lakers @ the Garden. They were young, athletic and pretty deep. But injuries to Oden & Roy recently have pretty much sealed their fate. They were that one team IMO that can beat the Lakers before OKC came. Jameer has owned the Lakers PG's in the past. In those two big wins in 2008 against the Lakers, Nelson was the constant threat. Houston was on their way to upset the Lakers in the second round when Yao went down in Game 2 or 3. And of course, who couldve dismmised the absence of Perkins? The Celtics were outrebounded in that series with Kobe grabbing 15 of them. Just tells you how much the Celtics missed a huge body like Perkins down low.

Yeah the Blazers own the Lakers up in the Rose Garden, but the same could be said that the Lakeshow own the Blazers @ Staples. The HCA would've been in the Lakers' favor and if you want to go that route, then sure you can make an argument. With Houston, you had a team that played with nothing to lose it might've been different if he didn't get injured. Orlando? Yeah, Jameer gave them fits, but even if he was %100, it wouldn't have changed the fact that everyone outside of him and Dwight choked for the most part. Rashard Lewis showed up for like, what? One game? Courtney Lee misses a point blank lay-up and even Howard was pretty much neutralized at times by the less-than-dominant-defensively Gasol and a gimpy Bynum. I have no argument that the Celtics' series could've gone Boston's way, that's why I think if you're going to use the 'luck' factor that one is luckiest of them all.

hitmanyr2k
03-16-2011, 11:46 AM
That would be an easy five game series if you all lucked up and met us at our annual event.

I doubt it. Lakers would probably be favored and go down in flames 2004-style with Kobe throwing up his annual 40% chucking on the big stage. The Lakers always survive Kobe's low percentage bricklaying by dominating teams on the offensive boards and getting 2nd shots. The Bulls are the best defensive team in the league for a reason. They know how to take care of the boards so teams are "one and done" against them. No second shots.

TheMACHINE
03-16-2011, 11:47 AM

Didnt you say that the Cavs were gonna win it all last year. What was thier key injury?

The Gemini Method
03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
I doubt it. Lakers would probably be favored and go down in flames 2004-style with Kobe throwing up his annual 40% chucking on the big stage. The Lakers always survive Kobe's low percentage bricklaying by dominating teams on the offensive boards and getting 2nd shots. The Bulls are the best defensive team in the league for a reason. They know how to take care of the boards so teams are "one and done" against them. No second shots.

Don't know if the Bulls have that veteran knowledge that the Pistons had in '04. They're still a young and inexperienced team that would probably give the Lakers fits, but still not have the ability when it got tight in a playoff atmosphere. Also, the lack of stellar SG play and Rose not necessarily a consistent deep threat (yet) would put them at a slight disadvantage. Would be, though, a great series--I'm just not ready to say that the Bulls are 'all the way there.'

Kyle Orton
03-16-2011, 12:05 PM
lol thinking the Bulls would beat LA. Phil Jackson makes a living on destroying PG oriented teams, he would do the same with Chicago. 5 game series max.

nkdlunch
03-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Spurs/Mavs have about 10% chance of beating LA

Rest of West 3%

Muser
03-16-2011, 12:21 PM
LA would beat Chicago in 6 imo, no team starting Keith Bogans will beat the Lakers.

bostonguy
03-16-2011, 12:24 PM
As for the thread...Dallas is the only team that has the frontcourt to matchup with them. Problem is they don't have any consistent weapons outside of Dirk in a half court set. That series would be 4-2 Lakers. Other than the Mavs, no one else is really a threat. Spurs could win a game or 2, but they just don't have the frontcourt/defense to matchup with the Lakers.

Muser
03-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Lakers will beat the Spurs in 6 max. Spurs are bound to go apeshit from 3 in one game but LA would ultimately win.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I highly doubt it.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Bynum's knee / Kobe's knee.

Nothing else.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Lakers will beat the Spurs in 6 max. Spurs are bound to go apeshit from 3 in one game but LA would ultimately win.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I highly doubt it.

Hmmm, 5 months later huh?

Killakobe81
03-16-2011, 01:42 PM
I think spurs and Mavs are both legit and pose a threat.
The winner of OKC and Portland (if form holds) is dangerous as well.

Only teams I truly fear though is Boston (with Perkins now not as sure) and Miami IF (BIG IF) Lebron hits that last level ...though right now Wade is on it so it may not matter if Lebron is just his usually great ...but not "last level" great ...yet.

But as things stand Boston is the only team that scares me as currently constituted, but less so after trading Perk.

Muser
03-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Hmmm, 5 months later huh?

I never said the Spurs would beat LA.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-16-2011, 01:46 PM
I never said the Spurs would beat LA.

Not that the Spurs would beat LA, just acknowledging the fact that SA can't beat LA.

tlongII
03-16-2011, 01:48 PM
We would get swept by you clowns.

fify

tlongII
03-16-2011, 01:49 PM
I also for some reason see the blazers throwing a wrench in the lakers plan.

Smart girl! :tu

Killakobe81
03-16-2011, 01:52 PM
fify

Blazers aint spoiling shit ...they were the Mavs BEFORE the Mavs.
Classic regular season tiger and post season kitten.
They can win a few games put a scare in a team but they aint beatingthe Lakers ...Lakers MAY not 3peat but we sure as shit aint losing to the Blazers.

Nick Manning
03-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Blazers would be a pain in the ass but they can't beat LA 4 times. OKC is the only team I can possibly see knocking off LA out West

KillerMamba
03-16-2011, 02:12 PM

This says the person who's team was gifted the NBA championship in 2006.

KillerMamba
03-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Injuries aside, the current threats are San Antonio, Dallas and OKC. Even though we've beaten OKC every time this year, never was it easy. Durant and Westbrook are problems.

I make fun of San Antonio, but they have a great team, and I'm slightly jealous that they find late 1st round/2nd round gems seemingly under their couch.

I don't think Portland is a threat. We got "over" that Rose Garden thing last year, and they can't seem to win in L.A.

hitmanyr2k
03-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Don't know if the Bulls have that veteran knowledge that the Pistons had in '04. They're still a young and inexperienced team that would probably give the Lakers fits, but still not have the ability when it got tight in a playoff atmosphere. Also, the lack of stellar SG play and Rose not necessarily a consistent deep threat (yet) would put them at a slight disadvantage. Would be, though, a great series--I'm just not ready to say that the Bulls are 'all the way there.'

The Bulls lack Finals experience but not playoff experience. Most players on the team have been in tough playoff series and even Game 7's. They just lack the big stage experience and all the glitz and media attention that comes with being in the Finals. However, if the Bulls were to get to the big stage I think they're the kind of team that wouldn't be happy just getting there.

Rose in particular strikes me as the kind of guy who wouldn't be happy just getting there. If they did make it that far he would make the most of the opportunity. For the mostpart he's quiet but he's a killer. He gets up for big games. This is a guy that said in the offseason "Why can't I be the MVP?" and people said what the fuck and :lol :lol it off (including myself). Now he's the leading candidate. Earlier in the season he asked "Why can't we be 1st seed in the East?" as if 3rd or 4th seed was beneath them. And now they're battling for #1 in the East. Last week he said "Who's to say that we can't win it this year?" :lol I love the kid's confidence and I think he's the kind of player who would shine when the lights are brightest.

Sean Cagney
03-17-2011, 12:03 AM
Blazers would be a pain in the ass but they can't beat LA 4 times. OKC is the only team I can possibly see knocking off LA out West

OKC is not better than the Spurs.

ezau
03-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Not sure why many people are scared of this old and gassed up Lakers team. Sure, they've won a couple of good games last time out, but there's nothing impressive about the Lakers this season.

The Spurs had to tank a game against the Lakers and these bozos here think that they're already the best in the West? :lol:lol

These maggots have been playing catch-up all season long and it's natural that they win games here and there. Overall, all they have is a slow and unathletic pair of bigs who will surely wither come playoff time.

Oh, did I mention that the Lakers have the thinnest bench of all the contenders? :lol:lol

Spurs in six:flag:

21_Blessings
03-17-2011, 06:32 AM

:rollin

TheManFromAcme
03-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Not sure why many people are scared of this old and gassed up Lakers team. Sure, they've won a couple of good games last time out, but there's nothing impressive about the Lakers this season.

The Spurs had to tank a game against the Lakers and these bozos here think that they're already the best in the West? :lol:lol

These maggots have been playing catch-up all season long and it's natural that they win games here and there. Overall, all they have is a slow and unathletic pair of bigs who will surely wither come playoff time.

Oh, did I mention that the Lakers have the thinnest bench of all the contenders? :lol:lol

Spurs in six:flag:

reference 3/6/2011 :toast

HarlemHeat37
05-07-2011, 01:40 AM
Andrew Bynum's Knee

Room service at whatever hotel the Lakers are staying at.

Lakers

San Antonio and Dallas are obviously the only teams in the west that are potential answers. But I don't think either really stands out as far as threat level. They're both pretty equal in that regard.

Dallas doesn't have the physical play inside, Kidd can't break down LA's D, and no one can guard Kobe.

OKC doesn't have the PG play that hurts LA the most. Westbrook can create fine for himself but not for others when he penetrates. OKC can't control tempo and win a grind either.

LA isn't unbeatable but their is a clear way of attacking them in the playoffs. No one in the West can do that 4 times in 2 weeks.

Only Laker obsticle is themselves.

Bynum's knee / Kobe's knee.

Nothing else.

TheMACHINE
05-07-2011, 01:47 AM
hey harlem..why dont you quote my answer?

HarlemHeat37
05-07-2011, 01:56 AM
Because your prediction was good, obviously..

mystargtr34
05-07-2011, 01:59 AM
:lol

DMC
05-07-2011, 02:06 AM
Some of those are correct. The Lakers are playing shitty. They are beating themselves.

TheMACHINE
05-07-2011, 02:06 AM
Because your prediction was good, obviously..

cuz i know my basketball dawg