PDA

View Full Version : Blazers' Brandon Roy rediscovers form, turns heads in Western Conference

tlongII
03-16-2011, 12:32 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2011/03/blazers_brandon_roy_rediscover.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/2011/03/9387416-large.jpg
Brandon Roy (7) reacts after hitting the 104th point of the game as the Portland Trail Blazers face the Dallas Mavericks at the Rose Garden on Tuesday.

You better believe the rest of the Western Conference this morning has taken notice of what went on Tuesday night in the Rose Garden.

It wasn't just that the Trail Blazers beat the mighty Dallas Mavericks.

It was how.

Or more precisely, with whom.

In a performance that probably sent more than a few shivers down the spines of the upper echelon teams in the West, Brandon Roy on Tuesday scored 21 points, including 10 in a pressure-packed fourth quarter to help the Blazers beat Dallas 104-101.

It was vintage Roy, too, not just a bunch of jump shots. He was slashing. Attacking. Dribbling behind his back in traffic. Directing the Blazers offense. And, of course, hitting big shot after big shot.

When the final horn sounded LaMarcus Aldridge found Roy on the court and wrapped his arms around Roy's head. He spoke into his ear.

"I told him 'Good game. Welcome back,'" Aldridge said.

The news of this growing development won't be met with that same welcome in San Antonio, Los Angeles, Dallas or Oklahoma City -- all potential first-round playoff matchups for the Blazers.

Imagine the twinge of nerves running through Gregg Popovich, Phil Jackson and Scotty Brooks this morning, hearing that the Blazers have ol' No. 7 back in action, running the show, teamed with Aldridge.

They already know what Dallas coach Rick Carlisle saw firsthand Tuesday.

"When he's healthy," Carlisle said of Roy, "he's a huge difference maker."

Of course, Tuesday was one game. There's no assurance Roy wakes up this morning and doesn't have debilitating swelling on either of his knees. The health of his knees -- both of which were operated on in January -- is that precarious.

In fact, the last time Roy scored more than 20 points was Dec. 10 in Phoenix, when he had 26. In retrospect, Roy said that game was the beginning of the end for him. Three games later, he was shut down for 30 games.

"That Phoenix game took a lot out of me," Roy said last week.

Right now, though, Roy doesn't want to look back to that Phoenix game. Or the surgeries. And he doesn't want to look too far ahead. It's part of what he calls his "process" to getting back. All the way back.

And right now, the best approach for him is to be patient. Patient with his minutes, which are supposed to be limited to 25 a game (he played 28 on Tuesday). Patient with what are surely going to be ups and downs.

Mostly, though, he is drifting through this rebirth with perspective.

While everyone else in the Rose Garden was going bananas and screaming at the top of their lungs at this trip down memory lane, Roy said he was literally laughing to himself. It was the equivalent of him stopping to smell the roses during a fire drill.

"Every time I make a layin, I just laugh ... just because I'm happy to be back doing it again," Roy said. "Almost like I'm grateful. I thank God for getting me back in this position. I'm just so happy to be back attacking the basket, getting layups."

He's not the only one. Aldridge, who has so deftly taken from Roy the responsibility of carrying this team, could instantly envision what this could mean come playoff time.

"It would be huge for us," Aldridge said. "He is really unguardable when he is in that type of rhythm like he was tonight. Any team in the league will be scared if he keeps that rhythm."

So with 15 games left in the season, the playoff race in the West just got a little more interesting. Brandon Roy, it appears, is back.

"You know, I was thinking about that," Roy said. "What is back? Didn't they say I was back after the Denver game (on Feb. 25)? The thing is, I feel good. And hopefully I will continue to feel good, because when I feel good, I can be a factor out there."

And don't think Popovich, Jackson, Carlisle and Brooks don't know that.

lefty
03-16-2011, 12:37 PM
LOL Mavs

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-16-2011, 12:43 PM
He looked good last night. Proud of the kid.