PDA

View Full Version : Which contending team could best weather the loss of its leading scorer?

duncan228
03-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Just the two with the Spurs, hit the link for the rest.

Blogtable: Leading scorers (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/03/16/blogtable-leading-scorers/?ls=iref:nbahpt1)
Sekou Smith's Hang Time Blog
NBA.com

Kobe’s ankle injury brings up this question: Which contending team could BEST weather the loss of its leading scorer?

...Steve Aschburner: I’m torn between San Antonio and Boston, just because both teams are ensemble efforts. More than Dallas, more than Chicago, more than Orlando, more than Miami, more than the Lakers. If one Spur or Celtic were removed, those left behind would pick up the scoring slack. I suppose the Spurs would fare best, since Boston has had scoring issues and already has been forced to adjust to roster changes. Yanking Paul Pierce out of the mix at this late date would be too much.

...Shaun Powell: Have to give the nod here to the Spurs, because of their depth, and that’s no disrespect to Manu Ginobili. You just figure Tim Duncan, after awakening from his regular season hibernation, would make up a point or two rather quickly.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/03/16/blogtable-leading-scorers/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

rascal
03-16-2011, 05:46 PM
No team would weather the loss of their top scorer.
No best in that.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-17-2011, 10:10 AM
IMO, Spurs would be at the bottom of this list. Maybe during the regular season, they could do OK but during the playoffs, Manu is irreplaceable. Regardless of how many points he puts up. His intensity and hustle drive this team at the times they most need it.

cheguevara
03-17-2011, 10:12 AM
we're a lottery team without Parker or Manu

Agloco
03-17-2011, 01:27 PM

For this conversation though you get to pick one of them.

To answer the original question, I'll say Boston.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-17-2011, 01:41 PM

You've got to be kidding. Maybe without Parker. Without Manu, I think the Spurs are still middle of the pack.

wildbill2u
03-17-2011, 06:19 PM
In survival mode, the Celtics would be best because of their experienced depth. With Rondo back they have almost a Big 4 and might be able to weaher the storm.

The Spurs shooting depth relies on players like Neal and Hill who really haven't been tested in playoffs at the highest levels.

Take out Kobe, LeBron, Dwight Howard, Rose, etc from other contending teams and you rip out the heart of everything they do to make them contenders.

Spursnlego
03-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Us or Boston