PDA

View Full Version : Hill fires back at Rose, Fab Five for calling Duke players 'Uncle Toms'

bdictjames
03-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Grant Hill fires back at Jalen Rose, Michigan's Fab Five for calling Duke players 'Uncle Toms'
BY Andy Clayton
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, March 16th 2011, 3:50 PM

Duke and Michigan have had some epic battles on the hardwood.

But the rivalry may have reached its boiling point Wednesday when former Duke star Grant Hill called comments made by Jalen Rose and other members of Michigan's Fab Five freshmen in a recent ESPN film "sad" and "pathetic" in an exclusive letter published by the New York Times.

ESPN's "The Fab Five" debuted on Sunday night and chronicled the Michigan careers of Rose, Juwan Howard, Chris Webber, Jimmy King and Ray Jackson. The five high school stars joined forces in 1991 and led the Wolverines to back-to-back Final Four appearances, losing in the national title game both times.

The outspoken Rose - who was an executive producer on the film and is currently an NBA analyst for the network - talked about his hatred of Duke in the two-hour documentary and his comments included the fact that he felt Duke only recruited black players he considered to be "Uncle Toms."

Hill, who was one of the stars of the Duke team that beat the Fab Five 71-51 in the '92 NCAA title game, didn't hold back in his stinging response:

I am a fan, friend and longtime competitor of the Fab Five. I have competed against Jalen Rose and Chris Webber since the age of 13. At Michigan, the Fab Five represented a cultural phenomenon that impacted the country in a permanent and positive way. The very idea of the Fab Five elicited pride and promise in much the same way the Georgetown teams did in the mid-1980s when I was in high school and idolized them. Their journey from youthful icons to successful men today is a road map for so many young, black men (and women) who saw their journey through the powerful documentary, "The Fab Five."

It was a sad and somewhat pathetic turn of events, therefore, to see friends narrating this interesting documentary about their moment in time and calling me a bitch and worse, calling all black players at Duke "Uncle Toms" and, to some degree, disparaging my parents for their education, work ethic and commitment to each other and to me.

Hill isn't the only member of that Duke team to fire back at the Fab Five. Point guard Bobby Hurley told Dan Patrick on his radio show Monday that Rose wouldn't have been a star - much less a starter - at Duke.

"He might have had a hard time hitting the floor," Hurley, now an assistant coach at Wagner College, said, "because he wouldn't have taken my spot."

Hill, a seven-time NBA All-Star who currently plays for the Phoenix Suns, ended his letter with one last tweak.

"I am proud I never lost a game against the Fab Five."

lefty
03-16-2011, 03:26 PM
CROFL Fab Five

CROFL Chris Webber timeout :lmao

Greg Oden
03-16-2011, 03:28 PM
my butt hurts :cry

redzero
03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
CROFL Fab Five

CROFL Chris Webber timeout :lmao

OMG so funny!

http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=2172914&t=o (http://www.gifsoup.com/view/2172914/laughing-kids.html)

DeadlyDynasty
03-16-2011, 03:37 PM
OMG so funny!

http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=2172914&t=o (http://www.gifsoup.com/view/2172914/laughing-kids.html)

VQ's understudy?

hater
03-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Documentary on these losers???

ESPN proving they are shit

rayjayjohnson
03-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Hill = class

Kyle Orton
03-16-2011, 03:41 PM
VQ's understudy?
If anyone who thought lefty's one liners suck was VQ's understudy then Venti would be mentoring this whole site.

lefty
03-16-2011, 03:41 PM
OMG so funny!

It wasnt supposed to be funny

Retard :lmao:lmao:lmao

redzero
03-16-2011, 03:42 PM

Retard :lmao:lmao:lmao

http://www.gifsoup.com/view4/2172914/laughing-kids-o.gif

lefty
03-16-2011, 03:42 PM
http://www.gifsoup.com/view4/2172914/laughing-kids-o.gif

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao
:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin: rollin:rollin

DeadlyDynasty
03-16-2011, 03:43 PM
If anyone who thought lefty's one liners suck was VQ's understudy then Venti would be mentoring this whole site.

True.

picc84
03-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Hill is butthurt and took Rose's comments out of context. But Hill's white media masters will love this.

lefty
03-16-2011, 03:51 PM
True

Kyle Orton

Rofl this is another tactic lefty loves to employ

lefty: really shitty one liner of some sort

anyone else: "That's not funny at all, lol lefty's one liners"

lefty ":lmao:lmao I knew it wasn't funny :lmao"

lefty
Rofl this is another tactic lefty loves to employ

lefty: really shitty one liner of some sort

anyone else: "That's not funny at all, lol lefty's one liners"

lefty ":lmao:lmao I knew it wasn't funny :lmao"
True

DeadlyDynasty
03-16-2011, 04:00 PM
NBA players are a bunch of racist scum bags. Apparently Grant Hill has been living in a cave for the last 20 years.

Greeks are better, imho

lefty
03-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Greeks are better, imho
That chick in your avy is ugly TBH

Sportcamper
03-16-2011, 04:08 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDjHIQOQphTvPtNZzRpiTMhyyipDKO4 SqQgdV7EL990U9iDLXGxwhttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLeWYUFb30dyKQbT227yftwUKTdSoQ3 FY8GYN0UXSL8s7mTc6A8A

redzero
03-16-2011, 04:17 PM
True
http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=2173998&t=o (http://www.gifsoup.com/view/2173998/kids-pointing.html)

DeadlyDynasty
03-16-2011, 04:17 PM
That chick in your avy is ugly TBH

Nope, and what's better is I'm actually fucking the girl in my avatar, while you're merely masturbating to your avy.

I won't knock you for that though lefty...at least it's sex with someone you love.

Now don't disappoint with another patented one-liner, followed by a deluge of deleted posts

IronMexican
03-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Nice pull, son.

Killakobe81
03-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Much ado about nothing.
In the doc Jalen and his crew never (Cweb refused to take part) said that they FEEL that way RIGHT now. what they said was back then, they hated duke and they thought they were a bunch of spoiled soft ass players. Jalen also admitted he was jealous of Grant and that he had "daddy issues" because Calvin was there for Grant as the son of a pro ...but Jalen did not know his pops ...

BTW this type of stuff STILL exists. At lunch today me and some buds of mine who coach AAU here in Plano/Frisco/Prosper (I don't actively coach right now) were discussing AAU ball in DFW ...and one of the main things we tell the Frisco Plano kids is that the kids from Desoto/Oakcliff/Skyline will NOT have any respect and will think they are pussies because their daddies ...have luxury cars. Kids from the suburbs ALWAYS have to prove their toughness to the innercity teams. I dont see the big deal ...Duke proved who was better when it mattered.

I have heard Webb and rose both give hill props ...sure they respect him now ...before this. LOL

lefty
03-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Nope, and what's better is I'm actually fucking the girl in my avatar, while you're merely masturbating to your avy.

I won't knock you for that though lefty...at least it's sex with someone you love.

Now don't disappoint with another patented one-liner, followed by a deluge of deleted posts
You are fucking that ?

redzero
03-16-2011, 04:34 PM
You are fucking that ?

Probably better than what you pick up at the Laugh Factory.

PublicOption
03-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Jalen Rose is such a dumbass. His illiterate, I don't know who my daddy is, ass is right where the man wants him.....with all the other illiterate nigga kind.

Kyle Orton
03-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Grant Hill is an uncle tom btw......he completely sells out to appease the most racist fanbase in the NBA.

The Gemini Method
03-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Grant's response was more Huxtable than Hood...Jalen Rose, as idiotic as he can be, may have a slight point in callin' Grant Hill an Uncle Tom...

Killakobe81
Funny thing is. I remember reading an article is SN or SI (when i used to subscribe) about how Hill used to get the same shit when he pulled up to play pickup ball or got dropped off in a luxury car. SO I dont see why he is hurt shocked or surprised and made this butthurt reply.

Jalen and crew were young and dumb and Jalen and Juwan were from the toughest hoods of Chicago and Detroit of COURSE they would resent the Hills and all of the other "carlton banks" types (just kidding) that went to duke like Battier and Hill ...

rayjayjohnson
you are such a fucking moron.

grant hill plays for the team that gave him a shot whilst the rest of the league would pass on him because of his history.

why is an educated black man instantly an 'uncle tom'? you really must love your suns, because you're clearly a member of that 'racist fanbase'.

Kyle Orton
03-16-2011, 05:23 PM
you are such a fucking moron.

grant hill plays for the team that gave him a shot whilst the rest of the league would pass on him because of his history.

why is an educated black man instantly an 'uncle tom'? you really must love your suns, because you're clearly a member of that 'racist fanbase'.
:lmao what? The Suns were one of many teams that gave him an offer after his Orlando contract expired. Show me a link that Phoenix was the only team giving him a shot.

Grant Hill is an uncle tom because he stood by and watched as Amare was given extremely racist treatment by ownership, fans and media, when he had the power to do something about it.

rayjayjohnson
03-16-2011, 05:28 PM
you mean the same grant hill who got nice and vocal in the series against the spurs last year regarding prop 1070?

Kyle Orton
03-16-2011, 05:31 PM
you mean the same grant hill who got nice and vocal in the series against the spurs last year regarding prop 1070?
1) Either admit you were talking out of your ass saying Hill was loyal to the team that "gave him a shot", or find a link proving Phoenix was the only team that gave him a shot. One or the other.

2) SB1070 is about the rights of Hispanics. Amare Stoudemire took the Suns to the WCF then was treated miserably afterward because of his skin color, and Grant Hill didn't give enough of a shit to speak out. As long as Sarver treated him with respect, he didn't care about Sarver treating Amare like a slave.

Killakobe81
03-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Not trying to get between you two, but Hill being an Uncle Tom or not is interesting, but not an issue here for me ...the issue is why be hurt about what some 18 year old kids thought of you so long ago?
and if he was doing this to heighten awareness on a race issue WITHIN the black community, attacking the views of inner city youth from almost 15 years ago in this manner makes little sense.

rayjayjohnson
03-16-2011, 05:32 PM
i think it's because hill is of the opinion that rose still thinks that same way.

grant hill is a smart dude, i'm sure he appreciates that 18 year olds are mostly kids. but he's not 18 any more.

Kyle Orton
03-16-2011, 05:34 PM
And yeah Killa is 100% right......Jalen Rose said he thought (past tense) Hill was an uncle tom, and then went on to openly say he was jealous of the family Hill came from. Hill getting butthurt about that is pretty lame. IMO it's a guilty conscience from Hill knowing about how many racist old people cheer for him at the Suns game specifically because of how "white" he acts.

rayjayjohnson
03-16-2011, 05:34 PM
1) Either admit you were talking out of your ass saying Hill was loyal to the team that "gave him a shot", or find a link proving Phoenix was the only team that gave him a shot. One or the other.

2) SB1070 is about the rights of Hispanics. Amare Stoudemire took the Suns to the WCF then was treated miserably afterward because of his skin color, and Grant Hill didn't give enough of a shit to speak out. As long as Sarver treated him with respect, he didn't care about Sarver treating Amare like a slave.

he treated amar'e like a slave because he wouldn't max him out based on two knees made of glass and one eye? amar'e cared about one thing - money.

i bet you think adrian peterson is right too.

Nick Manning
03-16-2011, 05:35 PM
What started the rayjay-KO feud?

rayjayjohnson
03-16-2011, 05:36 PM
And yeah Killa is 100% right......Jalen Rose said he thought (past tense) Hill was an uncle tom, and then went on to openly say he was jealous of the family Hill came from. Hill getting butthurt about that is pretty lame. IMO it's a guilty conscience from Hill knowing about how many racist old people cheer for him at the Suns game specifically because of how "white" he acts.

that is pathetic. what the fuck does it matter is someone 'acts' white, or 'acts' black? can't a person just act as he feels appropriate, and not have some pissweak white college student like yourself judging him for it?

Kyle Orton
03-16-2011, 05:37 PM
he treated amar'e like a slave because he wouldn't max him out based on two knees made of glass and one eye? amar'e cared about one thing - money.

i bet you think adrian peterson is right too.
1) He asked Amare to take a pay cut Amare didn't need to take on the open market, and then blamed Amare for being unreasonable when Amare took the max deal he was worth in the open market. That's treating someone like a slave.

2) I'm still waiting for the link on how Phoenix was the only team that gave Grant Hill "a shot" when no other team wanted to.

Killakobe81

Good question ...LOL
But it is a good one ... maybe not Jay z and NAS or LL vs. Kool moe D ....

But definitely in the 50 vs. Ja Rule class ...question is who is the wanksta?

Just kidding ... Carry on. you guys are entertaining ...and at least you both appear intelligent ...

# 1 Troll

sup brah??? do I look familiar? lolololololololol

Kyle Orton
03-16-2011, 05:38 PM
that is pathetic. what the fuck does it matter is someone 'acts' white, or 'acts' black? can't a person just act as he feels appropriate, and not have some pissweak white college student like yourself judging him for it?
Amare had the whole city of Phoenix judge him for wanting the contract he was worth in the open market. That's not really fair.

The Gemini Method
03-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Good question ...LOL
But it is a good one ... maybe not Jay z and NAS or LL vs. Kool moe D ....

But definitely in the 50 vs. Ja Rule class ...question is who is the wanksta?

Just kidding ... Carry on. you guys are entertaining ...and at least you both appear intelligent ...

That Jay-Z vs Nas one really didn't deliver all that many goods. I would say they're along the lines of DJ Quick vs. Ice Cube level tbqh...

# 1 Troll
Honestly dok shouldn't be allowed to talk bball, his takes suck dick and he's a Suns fan.

Kyle Orton
I made fun of him for celebrating the Nuggets trading away their one superstar caliber player and he's been butthurt ever since.

Killakobe81
03-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Nate dogg thinks Grant hill IS an Uncle Tom ... just kidding.

The issue does plague the black community all jokes aside. Hell even the filipino, japanese and mexican communities face being called "white-washed" or oreo, banana, coconut etc. That would be a better issue for Hill to focus on ...

JMarkJohns
Much ado about nothing.
In the doc Jalen and his crew never (Cweb refused to take part) said that they FEEL that way RIGHT now. what they said was back then, they hated duke and they thought they were a bunch of spoiled soft ass players. Jalen also admitted he was jealous of Grant and that he had "daddy issues" because Calvin was there for Grant as the son of a pro ...but Jalen did not know his pops ...

This. Rose finished his Anti-Duke/Hill segment by saying that it was more the context of everything he despised than Hill or his family.

Also, the segment was a teaser. The members interviewed talked of perception, and then of reality once they got beat by Duke early in 91-92. They thought this, but ultimately concluded something different.

I love Hill. He was the one player I openly rooted for as a Dukie. But the context of the comment paints a picture that someone as smart as Hill can understand. For a kid like Rose, whose uneducated mom worked multiple jobs, whose famous, athlete dad was removed from their situation, and whose overall reality was one of poverty and inner-city life (being friends with drug users/dealers/possibly gang members, etc), Hill was the poster boy for the opposite of that.

jjktkk
Grant Hill is an uncle tom btw......he completely sells out to appease the most racist fanbase in the NBA.

So, based on your opinion, all black professional athletes, actors, musicians, etc.... would be Uncle Toms then.

rayjayjohnson
1) He asked Amare to take a pay cut Amare didn't need to take on the open market, and then blamed Amare for being unreasonable when Amare took the max deal he was worth in the open market. That's treating someone like a slave.

2) I'm still waiting for the link on how Phoenix was the only team that gave Grant Hill "a shot" when no other team wanted to.

But in the end, Hill decided he wanted to be loyal to the team that signed him after his career was derailed by seasons-long injuries while he was with the Orlando Magic. He played in all 82 games in Phoenix last season for the first time in his career, averaging 12 points and 4.9 rebounds in almost 30 minutes per game. He'll provide veteran leadership on a Suns team that is transitioning after trading Shaquille O'Neal to Cleveland, and looking hard at moving forward Amar'e Stoudemire, if not now, than by next February's trade deadline.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/07/10/hill.suns/index.html

KO, you're not a stupid dude, not at all. you're posts are generally pretty clever, witty and intelligent.

I just don't like you. That ok?

Nick Manning
03-16-2011, 05:41 PM
I made fun of him for celebrating the Nuggets trading away their one superstar caliber player and he's been butthurt ever since.

"but the Nuggets are 9-2 w/o Melo" :cry

rayjayjohnson
03-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Amare had the whole city of Phoenix judge him for wanting the contract he was worth in the open market. That's not really fair.

so, by judging him for wanting money, that automatically makes them racist?

wtf dude? that's a stretch, even for you.

Killakobe81
03-16-2011, 05:43 PM

KO, you're not a stupid dude, not at all. you're posts are generally pretty clever, witty and intelligent.

Now THAT is a feud ....LOL

Nick Manning
sup brah??? do I look familiar? lolololololololol

lol tacker is so full of fail.

lol thinking that pic is bump

lol thinking i'm bump

These aren't the droids you're looking for

Kyle Orton
So, based on your opinion, all black professional athletes, actors, musicians, etc.... would be Uncle Toms then.

All the ones who watched their teammate (in this case Amare) get treated with extreme racism for just wanting fair compensation after leading a team to the WCF and not saying anything about it since they already got taken care of are uncle toms.

The Gemini Method
Nate dogg thinks Grant hill IS an Uncle Tom ... just kidding.

The issue does plague the black community all jokes aside. Hell even the filipino, japanese and mexican communities face being called "white-washed" or oreo, banana, coconut etc. That would be a better issue for Hill to focus on ...

Since we're on the Asian kick--Twinkie...yella on the outside, white on the inside...yo.

#41 Shoot Em Up
03-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Didn't read the thread, but I agree
with my niggas rayray and ashraf

rayjayjohnson
good to see i know the difference between 'your' and 'you're'

smh.

rayjayjohnson

word up son.

bros before hoes.

Kyle Orton
so, by judging him for wanting money, that automatically makes them racist?

wtf dude? that's a stretch, even for you.
No, judging him for wanting the fair compensation he could get on the open market is racist. Given that Amare got a contract even bigger than the one he asked for from Sarver, I'd say his financial demands were perfectly reasonable.

Pelicans78
03-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Nuggets weren't going to win anything with Melo anyway. He's a great scorer, but not a great player.

Greg Oden
03-16-2011, 05:45 PM
lol at the people trying to send Hill to the tree of woe because he doesn't sag his pants and talk with a thick coat of ebonics.

rayjayjohnson
03-16-2011, 05:46 PM
All the ones who watched their teammate (in this case Amare) get treated with extreme racism for just wanting fair compensation after leading a team to the WCF and not saying anything about it since they already got taken care of are uncle toms.

for fuck's sake, would you spend a huge amount of money on a car you needed for 5 years that had a cracked head gasket? that doesn't make you carist if you don't buy it.

Kyle Orton
03-16-2011, 05:47 PM

1) It's ok if you don't like me :lol

2) That article says Phoenix is the team that signed him after his career with the Magic, not the only team willing to give him a chance. I specifically remember Detroit and San Antonio (among other teams) that had offers for Hill during the 07 off season.

jjktkk
03-16-2011, 05:47 PM

And thats why you are so respected on ST. :lol

# 1 Troll
03-16-2011, 05:49 PM
lol tacker is so full of fail.

lol thinking that pic is bump

lol thinking i'm bump

These aren't the droids you're looking for

lolololololol denying it. Whta's next? dok gonna deny that he's a big fat jew queer? lolololol

rayjayjohnson
03-16-2011, 05:50 PM
1) It's ok if you don't like me :lol

2) That article says Phoenix is the team that signed him after his career with the Magic, not the only team willing to give him a chance. I specifically remember Detroit and San Antonio (among other teams) that had offers for Hill during the 07 off season.

yeah, they made offers. perhaps i should rephrase...

hill has loyalty to the suns because they gave him a deal, and then they sunk a fuckload of coin and gave him access to some of the best medical staff in the nba (second to the blazers imo), got him back into a starting role, then resigned him because they had faith he would deliver (which he has).

so is it so bad he shows loyalty back? you've not convinced even me the suns are a 'racist' organisation, yet you judge hill the same way you claim the phoenix organization and public judged a half-broken power forward.

Killakobe81
03-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Since we're on the Asian kick--Twinkie...yella on the outside, white on the inside...yo.

LOL i have heard Twinkie and banana used for Asians ...almost all non white cultures face the "sell-out" or "white-washed" issue ...

# 1 Troll
rayray bringing the good bball takes. lol dok

resistanze
The fact GH is so asshurt on what Jalen Rose thought about Duke when he was 18 kinda fuels Jalen's point.

I love my Duke brothers :cry

Kyle Orton
for fuck's sake, would you spend a huge amount of money on a car you needed for 5 years that had a cracked head gasket? that doesn't make you carist if you don't buy it.
It's not a comparable situation at all. Great players get contracts that have a high chance of outlasting their shelf life all the time in the NBA. I don't think the Lakers want to be paying Kobe 33,000,000 at age 35 (which he's projected to make), but they know that if they want Kobe from now till when he's 35, they better give him that max extension or someone else will. I've tried explaining countless times how the that contract situation isn't as cut and dry as something like buying a car.

KillerMamba
03-16-2011, 05:53 PM
And none of these players ever won a championship, college or NBA. Sorry if I'm a cynic, but that fact kind of takes the "luster" out of this supposedly "legendary" collection of talent.

Kyle Orton
03-16-2011, 05:55 PM
yeah, they made offers. perhaps i should rephrase...

hill has loyalty to the suns because they gave him a deal, and then they sunk a fuckload of coin and gave him access to some of the best medical staff in the nba (second to the blazers imo), got him back into a starting role, then resigned him because they had faith he would deliver (which he has).

so is it so bad he shows loyalty back? you've not convinced even me the suns are a 'racist' organisation, yet you judge hill the same way you claim the phoenix organization and public judged a half-broken power forward.
1) They gave him a 1 year lower level exception deal (so like $1,600,000 a year) with a player option for the 2nd year. That's not really sinking "a fuckload of coin". They gave him roughly what the other teams were offering.

2) After his 2nd year with the Suns, Sarver gave him an insulting contract offer well below what the Celtics and other teams were offering. He took a paycut in his 2nd contract with the Suns when he had no reason to. The Suns have shown anything but "loyalty" to Grant Hill.

3) Any Knicks fan or NBA fan who isn't retarded would laugh at calling the NBA's 2nd leading scorer half broken.

Greg Oden
03-16-2011, 05:55 PM
And none of these players ever won a championship, college or NBA. Sorry if I'm a cynic, but that fact kind of takes the "luster" out of this supposedly "legendary" collection of talent.

who hasn't won a championship?

Nick Manning
03-16-2011, 05:57 PM
lolololololol denying it. Whta's next? dok gonna deny that he's a big fat jew queer? lolololol

Ok I give...I'm BUMP :depressed

jjktkk
03-16-2011, 06:04 PM

41's badass troll. :lol

# 1 Troll
03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Ok I give...I'm BUMP :depressed

nice hat and smile brah lolololololololol

rayjayjohnson
03-16-2011, 06:08 PM
It's not a comparable situation at all. Great players get contracts that have a high chance of outlasting their shelf life all the time in the NBA. I don't think the Lakers want to be paying Kobe 33,000,000 at age 35 (which he's projected to make), but they know that if they want Kobe from now till when he's 35, they better give him that max extension or someone else will. I've tried explaining countless times how the that contract situation isn't as cut and dry as something like buying a car.

but you can't make the jump to labelling the suns FO as 'racist' and then act butthurt that a car analogy is too much of a stretch? wtf.

anyway, i gotta do some work. KO, that was actually kinda fun. you're still a cock tho.

Nick Manning
03-16-2011, 06:09 PM
nice hat and smile brah lolololololololol

Don't I look sexy?

Kyle Orton
03-16-2011, 06:10 PM
but you can't make the jump to labelling the suns FO as 'racist' and then act butthurt that a car analogy is too much of a stretch? wtf.

anyway, i gotta do some work. KO, that was actually kinda fun. you're still a cock tho.
When they're willing to give equally risky extensions to white players with back problems through age 38, I certainly can.

And yes it was fun. Go eat a dick.

Zelophehad
03-16-2011, 06:13 PM
lol at the people trying to send Hill to the tree of woe because he doesn't sag his pants and talk with a thick coat of ebonics.

KillerMamba
03-16-2011, 06:15 PM
who hasn't won a championship?

Not sure if you're making a statement, or if you legitimately don't know, but none of the "Fab 5" won an NCAA/NBA title.

lefty
03-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Probably better than what you pick up at the Laugh Factory.

Soooooo funny :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Greg Oden
03-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Not sure if you're making a statement, or if you legitimately don't know, but none of the "Fab 5" won an NCAA/NBA title.

read it again and realized you were talking only about the fab 5. While THAT white nigga Grant Hill sent them to the TOW.

JamStone
03-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Good for Grant. He shouldn't have to apologize or feel guilty that his parents did well for themselves. Although, I do think Jalen didn't mean that he still felt that way. He should have been more clear that it was just the way he felt when he was a 18 year old kid. I do think Jimmy was more of an ass for the things he said and that he probably still feels that way, which is unfortunate. People always trying to bring successful people down. It's simply hating. Especially the shit that the Fab Five went through with the alumni letters calling them ######s and other distasteful things, they should have seen they were acting similarly by typecasting and stereotyping Duke players, especially the black players on Duke.

Koolaid_Man
03-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Grant Hill nothing but a poor man's Kobe....Jalen jealous of Grant and Grant jealous of Kobe.... but I'd fuck the shit outta Tamia's ass.....no literally the STANKY SHIT.....

rayjayjohnson
03-16-2011, 09:27 PM
kobe rapedPERIOD

Bill_Brasky
03-16-2011, 09:30 PM

anyway, i gotta do some work. KO, that was actually kinda fun. i love you.

When they're willing to give equally risky extensions to white players with back problems through age 38, I certainly can.

And yes it was fun. I love you too.

So when's the wedding?:lol

rayjayjohnson
03-16-2011, 09:31 PM
when your mother grants me a divorce

Bill_Brasky
03-16-2011, 09:42 PM
when your mother grants me a divorce

http://i55.tinypic.com/13zz814.jpg

Stringer_Bell
03-16-2011, 09:49 PM
I don't have a problem with Jalen Rose being candid about how he felt while he played in college, but the Fab Five didn't accomplish shit and the lack of character some of the Michigan players had (remember, it's a whole team, not just FIVE players) got their wins and Final Four banners taken down. If anything, that documentary was about THE MEDIA blowing them up, not about their actual playing ability.

Grant Hill just wanted an excuse to write on some shit, it was obvious Jalen didn't carry those ideas into adulthood. He just wanted some attention since no one is talking about PHX.

senorglory
03-17-2011, 12:56 PM
In the doc Jalen and his crew never (Cweb refused to take part) said that they FEEL that way RIGHT now.

Instead, Jalen and Jimmy King went on ESPN's NewsNow earlier this week and made the point that they feel that way right now, by defending their earlier statements as true... not true at the time, but true now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6224395 see the second video link "Standing By Comments About Duke?" [Watch the whole clip, as Jalen first qualifies his remarks, before back tracking and endorsing "uncle tom" viewpoint 100%).

SoapScumKills
03-17-2011, 01:49 PM
LOL @ NIG COMMUNITY

seriously lets strive for mediocrity like real niggas should

Kyle Orton
03-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Hill should just shut his pie hole and go fuck that wife of his. Everyone knows that Duke recruits ho-cake ass niggas. This has never been a secret. Most of you idiots would say, "oh, they recruit blacks with class," but Hill and Brand are far from classy guys. Hill ditched Dumars in Detroit for Orlando without even saying goodbye. Brand suckered Baron... another ho-cake ass nigga into coming to the fucking Clippers, then bolted for Phili himself...:lol Oh, and let's not forget about Boozer, that ho-cake ass nigga suckered the Cavs into releasing him from his contract to get a better deal, then he bolts to Utah, another organization that has a history of hiring nothing but ho-cake Uncle Tom niggas. Jalen should not have to apologize for shit.

I'll even take it a step further than Rose. I would go as far as saying Duke focuses on staying away from recruiting dark skinned blacks, unless they are exceptional at playing ball, and have potential of being good Uncle Tom's, like Michael Jordan.. You can't blame em to some degree. Black kids that grown up in ghettos and single family homes are much harder to coach, and take exception to another man being hard-nosed with them. They've never had another man get in their face and chew their ass out.

I'm positive that Hill and the rest of the ho-cake niggas that played for Duke have always known that this is the perception of them, so why get all pissy because someone with clout said it on the air.

Eat your heart out Beyonce, you fucking Sasquatch, you.

3_K6I2f1zgU
http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/05/28/sunsbrooklopezgif_20100528102802_0_0.GIF

Stephen A. Smith
03-17-2011, 04:44 PM
My sources tell me that Chris Webber attempted pause the show towards the end but forgot he doesn't own a DVR.

Pelicans78
03-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Hill should just shut his pie hole and go fuck that wife of his. Everyone knows that Duke recruits ho-cake ass niggas. This has never been a secret. Most of you idiots would say, "oh, they recruit blacks with class," but Hill and Brand are far from classy guys. Hill ditched Dumars in Detroit for Orlando without even saying goodbye. Brand suckered Baron... another ho-cake ass nigga into coming to the fucking Clippers, then bolted for Phili himself...:lol Oh, and let's not forget about Boozer, that ho-cake ass nigga suckered the Cavs into releasing him from his contract to get a better deal, then he bolts to Utah, another organization that has a history of hiring nothing but ho-cake Uncle Tom niggas. Jalen should not have to apologize for shit.

I'll even take it a step further than Rose. I would go as far as saying Duke focuses on staying away from recruiting dark skinned blacks, unless they are exceptional at playing ball, and have potential of being good Uncle Tom's, like Michael Jordan.. You can't blame em to some degree. Black kids that grown up in ghettos and single family homes are much harder to coach, and take exception to another man being hard-nosed with them. They've never had another man get in their face and chew their ass out.

I'm positive that Hill and the rest of the ho-cake niggas that played for Duke have always known that this is the perception of them, so why get all pissy because someone with clout said it on the air.

Eat your heart out Beyonce, you fucking Sasquatch, you.

3_K6I2f1zgU

I didn't realize Boozer was black. I thought all Alaskans looked like that.

senorglory
03-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Instead, Jalen and Jimmy King went on ESPN's NewsNow earlier this week and made the point that they feel that way right now, by defending their earlier statements as true... not true at the time, but true now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6224395 see the second video link "Standing By Comments About Duke?" [Watch the whole clip, as Jalen first qualifies his remarks, before back tracking and endorsing "uncle tom" viewpoint 100%).

Wilbon's piece on the situation makes me think Rose is a good guy, despite having put his foot in his mouth earlier. Nor, again despite his ill-considered defensiveness in the interview linked above, does Rose seem fixated on this [uncle]tomfoolery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=6227464

Bill_Brasky
03-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Hill: 2
Rose: zero, zip, nada.

No ankle problems and who knows how great hill coulda been.

Killakobe81
03-21-2011, 09:28 AM
from ESPN TRUE HOOP today titled "Grant Hill was wrong" ...on the Hill/Rose dialogue:

Grant Hill obviously has a grievance regarding the stereotyping of black Duke players, but he’s debating a strawman at Jalen’s expense. Rose did not specifically call Hill anything other than someone to be envied--a generation ago.

Jalen exposed himself for the sake of artistic integrity, and I respect his candor. Along with a buzzword that wrung hands, Rose revealed the pain of growing up fatherless, the jealousy Grant Hill’s great life stoked. Art best connects when we transmit the uncomfortable feelings that roil our guts. Jalen did that, and did it well.

Credit to this man for being honest about an immature stage--it’s just sad the PC police have time travel capabilities. His expressed vulnerability is a cudgel against him, as that vulnerability is bizarrely re-framed as some gaffe or bully tactic. Wish more people were speaking up for him, wish more people were speaking in general.

Giuseppe
03-21-2011, 09:33 AM
from ESPN TRUE HOOP today on the Hill/rose dialogue:

Jalen exposed himself for the sake of artistic integrity, and I respect his candor.

Hill, in the name of his mother & father, and his collegiate brothers squared this.

Killakobe81
03-21-2011, 09:35 AM
A bit more ...

Rose was ignorant, but his honesty in the documentary regarding who he was is the important part. The fact that he expressed the jealousy and hurt he felt watching black players that he perceived to be “fitting in” with and profiting from a society that would not accept him is more important than his word choice. And Rose shouldn’t apologize for having those feelings.

A major reason many people deviate from (and innovate new) societal norms--ie- wear black socks, long shorts, ignore rules--is because following the paths laid out by the structure of mainstream society isn’t working. People who know there isn’t enough food don’t wait in line—the American Dream, simply put, doesn’t work for everyone. If Duke represented the white-dominated mainstream to Rose, we should be asking why he felt automatically excluded from such an institution.

But I’ve also got sympathy for the Blue Devil. Rose hasn’t gone out of his way to say “That’s how I felt in 1991. I don’t feel that way about black Duke players today.” And no one likes to be called "a bitch" in front of millions of people. I can see how Hill could feel the need to defend himself and other black people who were a part of a culture that is a source of pride and love in his life.

Killakobe81
03-21-2011, 09:40 AM
I dont have an issue if it is squared but many folks here and around the country crucified Jalen as ignorant and I thought these writers did the best job of explaining how Jalen was not wrong for expressing how many inner-city youth felt/feel about Duke. They also talked about how uncomfortable our country is with dealing with racial issues. I know this forum of all places is not a great place for social commentary ...but the reason I wanted it posted was not change anynone's mind, but maybe givethe folks that actually care about the issues acess to a different perspective ...

Giuseppe
03-21-2011, 09:40 AM
ESPN tryin' mightily to whitewash this,,,so there is no "bad guy." [White man] isn't in the immediate vicinity to fit with the requisite hair shirt so it's gonna be a king sized challenge.

They're up to it though. Anything for a $ & a dime.

duncan228
03-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Jalen Rose responds, says Duke comments taken out of context (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/jalen-rose-responds-says-duke-comments-taken-out-of-context/)
Kurt Helin

When Jalen Rose was 17 and making one of the biggest decisions of his life — where to attend college — the inner city Detroit kid didn’t want to go to Duke because he didn’t see that as a place he fit in.

In ESPN’s 30 for 30 documentary on Rose and Michigan’s Fab Five (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neumann/110311_fab_five_documentary&sportCat=ncb), Rose was brutally honest about what he was thinking when he was recruited in 1990, saying he thought Duke only recruited players that were “Uncle Toms” and not guys like him.

But Grant Hill and others from Duke took offense (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/16/grant-hill-fires-back-at-fab-five/), questioning how one should define both Duke and the black experience.

Today in the Wall Street Journal (http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2011/03/20/the-legacy-of-the-fab-five/?mod=wsj_share_twitter), Rose responded to his critics, saying everything was taken out of context, that who he was at 17 and who he is as an adult are different people.

Addressing the elephant in the room, comments from the documentary regarding Duke University were completely taken out of context. I respect the success of Duke’s program and stated this was my opinion as a teenager growing up in the inner city of Detroit. I also acknowledged that Grant Hill had something I wanted growing up – a successful family. It’s a bit disappointing some people insinuated I think black people from successful families are Uncle Toms. What made the documentary must-see TV is the fact we showed brutal honesty and addressed every topic head on and without reservation.

At the end of the day, some people will have their own opinions about the Fab Five and who we are as people. I am proud of what we achieved together from 1991-1993 and even more proud of the men we have become and how we all work in the community. For example, this past Friday, I had a groundbreaking ceremony with Dave Bing, the mayor of Detroit, for the Jalen Rose Leadership Academy, my college prep charter school for inner city youth. I am proud to be one of the few athletes to open my own school. Legacies are defined by how people remember you when you are long gone. The Fab Five and the Jalen Rose Leadership Academy are two things I will now leave behind as my legacy.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/jalen-rose-responds-says-duke-comments-taken-out-of-context/

Giuseppe
03-21-2011, 12:52 PM
ESPN never figured somebody would come back over the top like Hill has. It was a hit piece....they (ESPN) was hoping some cracker would take the bait and they could milk this for a good long while. Hill must have gotten some galley proofs of this television production. His return fire broadside was too quick, fast and comprehensive. Somebody tipped him off.

senorglory
03-24-2011, 02:05 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/jalen-rose-responds-says-duke-comments-taken-out-of-context/

Point of order: In this WSJ post, Rose still does not explicitly say that he was wrong at 17, nor does he explicitly state that he changed his mind as an adult.

Kyle Orton
03-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Point of order: In this WSJ post, Rose still does not explicitly say that he was wrong at 17, nor does he explicitly state that he changed his mind as an adult.
He talked about his thoughts as a kid growing up in Detroit, he shouldn't have to blatantly say "But I don't feel that way anymore!"

picc84
03-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Grant made himself look like the bitch uncle tom the fab five thought he was all those years ago.

dbreiden83080
03-24-2011, 07:52 PM
I just saw this documentary today. Jalen Rose was over the top arrogant about that team..

His final quote was

"Our legacy is that we were bigger than the score of the game. Did we wanna win 2 championships yes. But who won the championship 2 years ago (UNC) Tell me who won the title 5 years ago (Florida), Tell me who was the starting 5 of the UNC team that beat us (He's got me there)"

But basically he is all arrogant about the fact that they wore baggy shorts and black socks, acted like thugs, were insanely over-rated by the media and the fans and oh yeah

Choked their asses off in the big games, then got their records (Such as they were) deleted forever for rule violations

Whatever Jalen..

senorglory
03-30-2011, 05:41 AM
He talked about his thoughts as a kid growing up in Detroit, he shouldn't have to blatantly say "But I don't feel that way anymore!"

Would make sense if he did make his current thoughts blatantly clear since this is his rebuttal/response.

senorglory
03-30-2011, 05:46 AM

Also, I was responding to the summary in the linked article, which states that Rose has distanced himself from his prior state of mind: "Today in the Wall Street Journal, Rose responded to his critics, saying everything was taken out of context, that who he was at 17 and who he is as an adult are different people..." and yet, while the summary says he distinguished current from former perspective on the matter, the quotes included in the article do not contain any such statement. Still.

picc84
03-30-2011, 09:46 AM
You're being deliberately obtuse.

JoeTait75
03-30-2011, 08:06 PM
I just saw this documentary today. Jalen Rose was over the top arrogant about that team..

His final quote was

"Our legacy is that we were bigger than the score of the game. Did we wanna win 2 championships yes. But who won the championship 2 years ago (UNC) Tell me who won the title 5 years ago (Florida), Tell me who was the starting 5 of the UNC team that beat us (He's got me there)"

But basically he is all arrogant about the fact that they wore baggy shorts and black socks, acted like thugs, were insanely over-rated by the media and the fans and oh yeah

Choked their asses off in the big games, then got their records (Such as they were) deleted forever for rule violations

Whatever Jalen..

Fake-ass UNLV was all they were.