PDA

View Full Version : Working a 25-hour shift starting 0900 tomorrow...fml

DeadlyDynasty
03-16-2011, 03:58 PM
What's the longest shift you've ever worked?...none of this on-call shit either where you can crash out in your own bed, real work.

72 hours is my longest.

My guess is military personnel will have that shattered...

Blake
03-16-2011, 04:02 PM
How many hours do you get to sleep during this shift

DeadlyDynasty
03-16-2011, 04:05 PM
How many hours do you get to sleep during this shift

Working the city 911 truck manana, so maybe we'll get a couple hours. Doubtful though cause it's spring break down here. If it was an IFT shift we'd get 4-5 hours easy

baseline bum
03-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Damn, I have done 16 hour days for a week when we were trying to make a deadline, but never 25 or 72 hours straight.

SourCandy
03-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Wow that's one long work day(s) Longest shift for me was like 13hrs :lol
one lunch 30 min and 2-15min breaks. Dam sweatshop.

RandomGuy
03-16-2011, 04:19 PM
What's the longest shift you've ever worked?...none of this on-call shit either where you can crash out in your own bed, real work.

72 hours is my longest.

My guess is military personnel will have that shattered...

48 hours during an exercise once. I was due for a sleep period at the end of a shift, but we got orders to tear down and move.

The move and re-setup to operations took up the time I would have spent sleeping, and then it was our shift's turn to get back to work.

In between battle exercises, we had a chance for a shower, but I just fell into a bunk and slept. You can get un-nasty with baby-wipes, but there is no substitute for sleep.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Did fifteen hours at the ol' Galaxy theater (now the Rialto) a couple of times. Actually I guess if you want to get technical (and the managers certainly did for legal purposes) I worked a seven and a half hour shift followed by a seven and a half hour shift. Takes a couple of showers to wash the popcorn smell off when you're in there that long.

Best of luck on your marathon shift.

DeadlyDynasty
03-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Damn, I have done 16 hour days for a week when we were trying to make a deadline, but never 25 or 72 hours straight.

Do you write for a local paper?

Wow that's one long work day(s) Longest shift for me was like 13hrs :lol
one lunch 30 min and 2-15min breaks. Dam sweatshop.

Do you work for Nike?:lol

48 hours during an exercise once. I was due for a sleep period at the end of a shift, but we got orders to tear down and move.

The move and re-setup to operations took up the time I would have spent sleeping, and then it was our shift's turn to get back to work.

In between battle exercises, we had a chance for a shower, but I just fell into a bunk and slept. You can get un-nasty with baby-wipes, but there is no substitute for sleep.

Amen brotha, I start to hallucinate around 30+ hours

Did fifteen hours at the ol' Galaxy theater (now the Rialto) a couple of times. Actually I guess if you want to get technical (and the managers certainly did for legal purposes) I worked a seven and a half hour shift followed by a seven and a half hour shift. Takes a couple of showers to wash the popcorn smell off when you're in there that long.

Best of luck on your marathon shift.

I'm surprised you couldn't sneak into a movie during that time and catch a couple zzz's...unless of course you were working concessions

ashbeeigh
03-16-2011, 04:46 PM
I've been on call quite a few times for a week. But you said not to count that...but...I think the longest I've worked is about 18 hours during fundraisers or long national conventions. I wanted to die. I don't function well after about 12 hours.

pawe
03-16-2011, 05:18 PM
40 hrs, doing it right now. Ill be getting off work tomorrow at 2pm. yay! I already smell shit BTW.

TinTin
03-16-2011, 07:00 PM
24 hours at tim hortons

Sisk
03-16-2011, 07:14 PM
19 hours. Black Friday back when I worked at Circuit City.

coyotes_geek
03-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Worked 20 consecutive hours one time. Had another stretch where I worked 68 consecutive days. Weekends were only 3-4 hour days though so it was at least some kind of a break.

BlackSwordsMan
03-16-2011, 10:12 PM
What do you do?

TE
03-16-2011, 10:17 PM
I heard once in residency, Physicians work 16-17 hours a day for like four-five straight days.

Unbelievable.

:(

coyotes_geek
03-16-2011, 10:21 PM
What do you do?

Civil engineer.

DeadlyDynasty
03-18-2011, 10:53 AM
26 hours...I hate Hialeah. Who knew cubans celebrated st. patty's day...