PDA

View Full Version : Are you a "Real fan"?........ Guess not.

IceColdBrewski
06-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Yes. I know I just posted a thread titled "what is your definition of a bandwagon fan" only yesterday. But I just saw some some jackass post the following: "A real fan is positive". Which got me to thinkin about the idiots that we all have to live with. But it also got me to thinking about what people really feel on this subject. The difference of opinion must be tremendous.

What does it take to be a real fan in your opinion?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Someone who places the team as one of his top 5 joys in life.

Sii
06-02-2005, 10:31 PM
not someone who shows up to bash Tony Parker after a loss but is no where to be found after good game in a win

Duncanoypi
06-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Through thick and thin...

Win or lose...its the team you choose...

IceColdBrewski
06-02-2005, 10:42 PM
not someone who shows up to bash Tony Parker after a loss but is no where to be found after good game in a win

Well I know you're talking about me so I'll go ahead and take the bait. Like I've said before. I'm here before and after good and bad Parker games. It's not my fault that dumbasses like you aren't paying attention.

But enough of that. Unlike you, I don't want to turn this into another Parker debate. I'm serious. I've seen the same poster say "I don't worry. I'm not a bandwagoner." and "A real fan is positive".

Seriously now. Think about it. According to this guy, anyone who has ever worried, or had a negative thought about our beloved Spurs is either a "bandwagoner" or "not a real fan". I'm guessing that you've worried and/or had other than positve thoughts about the Spurs' chances at one time or another. I guess that just about covers everyone else as well. I guess that makes us ALL unlegit bandwagon fans.

Doesn't that piss you off just a tad?

LuvBones
06-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Couldn't you have continued to bitch about "this guy" on the same thread? Why start a new one about it?

IceColdBrewski
06-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Couldn't you have continued to bitch about "this guy" on the same thread? Why start a new one about it?

It's a different subject for the most part. Besides. Bumping a "dead thread" is just plain lame IMO. I'd rather start a new one.

Now then. Are you going to be man enough to add your opinion to the subject at hand? Or did you just come here to nitpick?

SequSpur
06-02-2005, 11:04 PM
Spurs fans have high expectations, always have since David got here.

So, if the Spurs don't win the trophy every year then they are pissed.

Nothing wrong with setting goals at a high level. If you don't like it or you don't like a full wagon, then go cheer for the Clippers.

These topics are stupid.

LuvBones
06-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Ok, the thread is still at the top. Anyway, sure I'll be WOMAN enough to add my opinion if that's what you so desire....

A real fan is pretty much the opposite of a bandwagoner. See your definition of a bandwagon fan thread for more. :rolleyes

samikeyp
06-02-2005, 11:05 PM

I think that says it all right there.

IceColdBrewski
06-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Ok, the thread is still at the top. Anyway, sure I'll be WOMAN enough to add my opinion if that's what you so desire....

A real fan is pretty much the opposite of a bandwagoner. See your definition of a bandwagon fan thread for more. :rolleyes

Don't get so uptight.

O.k. I'm sorry about the "be a man" thing.

Didn't know you'd take it so seriously. I thought you knew that I was just trying to sucker you into giving your opinion.

Forget it.

E20
06-02-2005, 11:14 PM

Ditto.

SequSpur
06-02-2005, 11:16 PM

Agree, but there is nothing wrong with increasing a fan's awareness or display of gratitude toward a team especially when they are going to the finals.

It's called Celebrating.

Stupid Topic.

IceColdBrewski
06-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Stupid Topic.

Stupid Topic??? Why?

I guess you think it's no big deal to be call a bandwagoner whenever you worry about the Spurs' chances. I guess you think it's o.k. to hear someone say that your "not a real fan" whenver you say something other than 100% positive about the Spurs.

Have fun with those ideals shorty. But you can count me out. I've stuck with this team through thick and thin since the early 80's when I was only 10 years old. I'll be damned if I'm going to let one of these cheerleader types tell me that I'm not a real fan.

bigzak25
06-02-2005, 11:50 PM
1st, only bandwagoner's need reassurance as to whether they are a 'real fan' or not.

true fans know if they are and could not care less what anyone else thinks or believes...

2nd, the only way to know the true Spurs fans will be to see who's left when TD retires...

lastly, this is entertainment...lets have fun, root for our team, and try not to take it all so seriously.... :smokin

IceColdBrewski
06-03-2005, 12:09 AM
1st, only bandwagoner's need reassurance as to whether they are a 'real fan' or not.

true fans know if they are and could not care less what anyone else thinks or believes...

You're so full of shit. Wait until you've followed the team through thick and think for 20-30 years. Then tell me what you think of these know-it-all punks.

I was there before David Robinson when the Spurs were the laughing stock of the league. I put up with all the shit that goes with being a fan of a shitty team. The toughest thing you probably had to put up with was the season before we drafted Duncan.

Go to hell. I've been through the fire with this team and I'll be damned if I'm going to let some punk say that I'm anything less than a 100% bonafide Spurs fan. Go ahead and accept it if you want. But you can count me out.

bigzak25
06-03-2005, 12:17 AM
why put so much stock in what some "know it all punk" says...

from what you've written, seems like you've been here for the good times and the bad...

if you are going to call out our players, especially if it's the 3rd best player on the team, then you are going to get some heat...i too have been critical of parker, but if you've been a fan for so long, then you must realize he's the best we've had in quite a while if not ever....i admit to jumpin on in 89 myself with Drob, but i've been here ever since...thick or thin.

the 20 win season wasn't the worse. we knew we had no chance. it's the heartbreaking losses that kill you....portland in 90, goldenstate in 91, the losses to the jazz and suns throughout the 90's...the heartbreaking houston series and the laydown vs la in 2001....but i'd venture to guess you know that....

i guess, a good rule of thumb is this...when criticizing our Spurs...would you rather be right, or have the player prove you wrong?

myhc
06-03-2005, 12:23 AM
This thread is about as brilliant as the Devin Brown topic. But do take solace in the fact that we finally know you've been with this team since the early 80s.

IceColdBrewski
06-03-2005, 12:34 AM
why put so much stock in what some "know it all punk" says...

from what you've written, seems like you've been here for the good times and the bad...

if you are going to call out our players, especially if it's the 3rd best player on the team, then you are going to get some heat...i too have been critical of parker, but if you've been a fan for so long, then you must realize he's the best we've had in quite a while if not ever....i admit to jumpin on in 89 myself with Drob, but i've been here ever since...thick or thin.

the 20 win season wasn't the worse. we knew we had no chance. it's the heartbreaking losses that kill you....portland in 90, goldenstate in 91, the losses to the jazz and suns throughout the 90's...the heartbreaking houston series and the laydown vs la in 2001....but i'd venture to guess you know that....

i guess, a good rule of thumb is this...when criticizing our Spurs...would you rather be right, or have the player prove you wrong?

Why does it always have to be about Parker. I can see it already. Six months from now this will be remembered as "another Parker hate thread" that I started because of this very discussion. Thanx alot.

Look. I really don't give a shit what any of these clowns think of me. That much should be clear after all this time. But work with me here. We have about a week until the next Spurs game and I'm doing my best to offer something that will cure the boredome. Even if it means playing the bad guy :hat

slayermin
06-03-2005, 02:00 AM
When the Spurs are winning, the food tastes better. Beer seems colder. The sun feels warmer. The day seems brighter.

When the Spurs lose, well, you can guess that everything isn't as great.

Mark in Austin
06-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Why does it always have to be about Parker.

We've all been wondering about that for a while now. Regardless of your intentions, you come across as somebody with an agenda against Parker. When he stinks it up, you're here to pile on. But if he plays well, there's maybe a grudging acknowledgement that he didn't suck too badly. Which would be fine if you were as equally critical of all the players. But your almost exclusive focus on Parker is why you have the rep you do.

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 08:42 AM

Well said. As someone who has been a fan of this team since 1974 and grew up with them, I have seen the Spurs and Spurs fans not get a lot of respect. Doesn't matter though. The outside world may disrespect us as a group and city and may disrespect the team and the team may go through some rough spots but that doesn't change how I feel. If you let those influences change how you feel, that's when you become a bandwagoner.

ObiwanGinobili
06-03-2005, 08:48 AM
a fan is loyal
a fan enjoys the games, and will watch them all alone if need be.
a fan doesn't forget his team exists in the offseason
a fan knows all the players names, positions and most of their stats.

then there are "superfans"...... lets not get into that.

MannyIsGod
06-03-2005, 08:55 AM
:blah :blah :blah

SWC Bonfire
06-03-2005, 08:56 AM
You don't have to be saccharine-sweet positive to be a real fan. But a real fan doesn't say things like they can't support or give up on their team. They don't bitch incessantly about players on a CHAMPIONSHIP-CALIBER ROSTER. They give the star players the benefit of the doubt when they have a bad game instead of calling them over the hill.

http://www.jeffyorkes.com/images/JY3D_SamTheEagle.jpg

YOU PEOPLE DON'T KNOW HOW GOOD YOU HAVE IT.

MadDog73
06-03-2005, 08:58 AM
It's fine to be critical of your team.

But when people start Threads like "Fire Pop" or "Trade Tony," that's when things get bad. I have no problem with people criticizing Pop for bad plays or substitutions. But, IMO, you can't hate Pop and still be a Spurs fan. It would be like hating Tim Duncan, but still calling yourself a Spurs fan. It makes no sense.

Real fans root for their team, and their players, no matter what. Even if Barry has been playing like shit for a whole series, a real fan will give him props when he steps up big for one game.

Again, I got no beef with people having legitimate criticisms of certain Spurs players or execs. But, when people just start bashing a Spur unfairly or calling for stupid trades (Tony for Kidd), then I'm going to call them on it.

PS I'm not saying Brewski has done anything like this, I'm just talking generally about fans, as the subject states.

spur219
06-03-2005, 09:43 AM
When you put the team in one of your top priorities. When you feel pain when your players feel pain. When you get upset after your team loses but yet you still stay beside and love your team. When you jump up and down when they win or when a Spurs makes an incredible play. When you never criticize a Spur player but you always support them and always believe that they will prevail. When you almost cried or did cry when Malik Rose got traded. Or when you broke a chair the day when DFish hit the .4 shot and it broke your heart in a million pieces.

But the biggest Spurs Fan is when you bleed silver and black!

LETS GO SPURS!