PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone here Hate Shaq?

Obi wan Ginobili
06-02-2005, 10:52 PM
I know he beat us 4 years in the playoffs, but we have beaten him just as many times.

Other than his David Robinson drama, he has always been a classy guy and given the spurs and Tim Duncan their due.

He is a monster in the paint and has an (what I consider) less than beautiful game.

Is it just because he is on the other side of the fence?

He is certainly no thug like Jerome James or Fortson, and certainly no crybaby like Ray Ray.

Discuss.

nacho estrada
06-02-2005, 10:59 PM
I know he beat us 4 years in the playoffs, but we have beaten him just as many times.

Other than his David Robinson drama, he has always been a classy guy and given the spurs and Tim Duncan their due.

He is a monster in the paint and has an (what I consider) less than beautiful game.

He is certainly no thug like Jerome James or Fortson, and certainly no crybaby like Ray Ray.

Discuss.

Man, Shaq hates San Antonio.. he's called the Spurs a WNBA team.. disrespect breeds hate. He doesnt even claim San Antonio, yet he went to high school here and won a state title here with Cole. And this is on top of his shit with The Admiral. He was upset cause Dave(who is arguably the classiest guy in NBA history) "disrespected" ol Snaq back in day with an autograph or something (mind you, Dave was Shaq's favorite player until then, i believe) and ever since he's held the grudge against the Spurs as a whole. Anyone who cares to expand on that , feel free. So FUCK SNAQ O NEAL.

E20
06-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Shaq's aight. Just don't like it when he plays against us.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2005, 11:01 PM
A lot of it was who he was around and the media hype in LA.

I've got a lot more respect for Shaq than Kobe, that's for sure.

Did y'all catch Shaq offering to cover the cost of Mikan's funeral tonight? Say what you want about the guy because he beat us for some rings, but that's pretty stand up of him.

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 11:02 PM
He is the most arrogant player in the nba.

EasilyAmused
06-02-2005, 11:06 PM
Did y'all catch Shaq offering to cover the cost of Mikan's funeral tonight? Say what you want about the guy because he beat us for some rings, but that's pretty stand up of him.

I thought it was a nice gesture, but it would have been nicer if he would have offered it privately.
Unless of course, he wanted to draw attention in hopes that everyone would help out.

samikeyp
06-02-2005, 11:08 PM
when he was still with Orlando, he booked an autograph session for a bunch of kids here in SA at the Live Oak Civic Center. All those kids had to pay to get in and Shaq no-showed on them. That was a big reason for me. Also the insults he has said about this city. This was a city who was a big supporter of his when he went to LSU and when he was drafted into the NBA.

But offering to pay for Mikan's funeral, IMO was incredibly thoughtful.

E20
06-02-2005, 11:11 PM
when he was still with Orlando, he booked an autograph session for a bunch of kids here in SA at the Live Oak Civic Center. All those kids had to pay to get in and Shaq no-showed on them.

That's low. Stealing money from little kids.

SequSpur
06-02-2005, 11:12 PM
I think Shaq is awesome.

His Godfather was my first sergeant at BAMC for 2 years. His Dad was our supply sergeant for 2 years. He was still at LSU at the time and used to come to the office very frequently and play pickup games at the gym on Fort Sam Houston.

Last year, I took my little buddy who has numerous medical complications to meet him and Shaq and his dad were awesome to all of us.

I don't understand the hate either, I think it is just a Laker thing, because I hate the Lakers more than any team in all of sports except for maybe the Buffalo Bills.

LuvBones
06-02-2005, 11:13 PM
IMO, it's more like love to hate him because if he were on this team I'd cheer him on like I do the rest of the team.

Kobe on the other hand...

beirmeistr
06-02-2005, 11:31 PM
I do not hate Shaq but I think he is the most pampered player in the NBA when it comes to fouls. In my opinion, he gets away with a lot of offensive fouls that would be called on Duncan or other big men.

iminlakerland
06-02-2005, 11:35 PM

Discuss.

Are you sure about that? Yes he does good deeds in the community, but i wouldnt go as far as saying shaq has always been classy, just listen to him once in a while.

Flea
06-03-2005, 12:02 AM
A lot of it was who he was around and the media hype in LA.

I've got a lot more respect for Shaq than Kobe, that's for sure.

Why announce it to the television audience? I heard his response at the end of the game and thought it would have meant a lot more had he done it privately. THAT would have been classy. Instead he chooses to announce it to everyone.

bigzak25
06-03-2005, 12:10 AM
i'm no shaq fan, but i don't hate him either....well...not so much anyway...now that he's gotten some of the laker stink off him....

but if miami beats detroit, i would take great pleasure in seeing our spurs knock his ass out though....houston/orlando part 2. can you dig it?

sanman53
06-03-2005, 12:18 AM
I dont like to hear people say he is the most dominant player in the game today. I cannot see how a guy, who's only weapon is a dunk, is dominant! To dominate, you have to be unstoppable. Just foul Shaq, and you stop him. The guy cannot shoot the ball. It is embarassing to see him shoot a jumper or free throw. Last year, Timmy D made that jumper over Shaq from beyond the free throw line (before the 0.4 shot). There is NO way Shaq could EVER make a shot like that.

Also, he challenged D-Rob to a charity boxing match in the 90's (after Robinson poured in 71 points, with jumpers and three's to win the scoring title). Personally, I think The Admiral would have destroyed him if it would have happened.

I know that is not Robinson's style (Thank goodness), but who do you all think would have won that boxing match? D.Rob or Shaq?

cqsallie
06-03-2005, 12:28 AM
Why announce it to the television audience? I heard his response at the end of the game and thought it would have meant a lot more had he done it privately. THAT would have been classy. Instead he chooses to announce it to everyone.
I third this opinion. He didn't have to announce his charity. I find this an insult to Makin's family, like they're a bunch of destitute slobs who can't afford to put their father/grandfather to rest without Shaq's help.
I don't like Shaq. I don't really hate him, since I find it hard to actually hate anyone (always finding reasons for horrible behavior). But despite his claims of being a "comedian," it's hard to find the comedy in his words - mostly because he sounds like he's talking through a mouthful of marbles. I can't stand to attempt listening to his interviews. I'm always saying, "What'd he say? What'd he say?"
He's a huge human and that's been the major factor in his success. Take him a foot farther away from the basket than his comfort zone and he's just a huge human who can't make a basket.
He's not over-rated because he's managed to find his niche, settle into it by dint of sheer size and therefore looks pretty good, but you'll notice that most people stop short of saying he's the greatest player in the NBA. Generally, the phrase is, "Most dominate."
Hell, if you were more than 7' tall and weighed a quarter of a ton, you wouldn't need a whole lot of skills, either.
That's why I don't like Shaq - throw in the crap he said about DRob and SA and you could understand. His stepfather might be the nicest man in the world, but he is not Shaq. Shaq is a creature of his own making - all glitter and glitz... :fro

johnny00
06-03-2005, 12:32 AM
He's lightened up since his Laker days, he was a real jerk to the Spurs, thier fans, and San Antonio in general back then.

bigzak25
06-03-2005, 12:35 AM
the man gets props for offering to do a good deed. he should get more if he actually does it. i will not nitpick and look for something to criticize when an individual offers to do something classy.

mrcoon29
06-03-2005, 12:39 AM
I thought that DRob autograph diss was found to be an all out lie..I swear I heard Don bring this up when Shaq put out his book a couple years ago.
I dislike Shaq for all the reasons everyone has posted. I distinctly remember the Live Oak fiasco, too.

timvp
06-03-2005, 12:44 AM
People always hate greatness.

Duncanoypi
06-03-2005, 12:58 AM
Shaq who?

mavsfan1000
06-03-2005, 01:01 AM
"I am the greatest thing since Wilt Chamberlin"-Shaq

sanman53
06-03-2005, 01:09 AM

The Big Aristotle said that? Never heard him say that, not doubting you, it really does sound like something he would say!

No comparison there, I think. Wilt would probably score 200 against him in one game. I mean, Wilt holds almost every individual record there is! Shaq is no where close! Shaq will NEVER have over 100 points in a game! NEVER have over 50 rebounds! NEVER have a game better than 20 points, 20 rebounds and 20 assists! Wilt would take this kid to school.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-03-2005, 01:11 AM
I hate shaq's game, but thats more because he's so fucking unstoppable sometimes and he's owned us but...

I dont hate him.

mouse
06-03-2005, 01:19 AM
There are only two types of NBA fans in the world.
The ones who have Shaq on their team, and the one's who wish Shaq was on their team, does that answer your question?

TDfan2007
06-03-2005, 02:08 AM
Shaq is a great player but his ego is too big. If he could just tone his ego down I'd like him a lot more.

themvp
06-03-2005, 02:31 AM
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

ZStomp
06-03-2005, 02:54 AM
I know he beat us 4 years in the playoffs

3 times....2001, 2002, and 2004....

We have beaten two times...1999 and 2003

mavsfan1000
06-03-2005, 03:57 AM
I don't like listening to people talk about how great they are. Leave that to other people saying about you. Shaq talks more about himself and continues to piss me off. :pctoss

3rdCoast
06-03-2005, 04:02 AM
I don't like listening to people talk about how great they are. Leave that to other people saying about you. Shaq talks more about himself and continues to piss me off. :pctoss
YET HE CONTINUES TO WIN

mavsfan1000
06-03-2005, 04:06 AM
So does Duncan.

phyzik
06-03-2005, 04:51 AM
let me put it this way. If I was given the choice to pick any one of the 2003 Lakers to come join the Spurs on Character alone, it would be Shaq.

Sure the guy talks alot of trash but he backs it up. Besides that he is really a cool guy. If you see him in the streets of SA if the heat make it to the finals, you WILL be suprised at how cool this guy is.

Alot of the trash talk he says is just missunderstood IMO but he admitedly pisses me off alot.

ambchang
06-03-2005, 07:02 AM
Man, Shaq hates San Antonio.. he's called the Spurs a WNBA team.. disrespect breeds hate. He doesnt even claim San Antonio, yet he went to high school here and won a state title here with Cole. And this is on top of his shit with The Admiral. He was upset cause Dave(who is arguably the classiest guy in NBA history) "disrespected" ol Snaq back in day with an autograph or something (mind you, Dave was Shaq's favorite player until then, i believe) and ever since he's held the grudge against the Spurs as a whole. Anyone who cares to expand on that , feel free. So FUCK SNAQ O NEAL.

The Robinson not signing his autograph story is a lie. NBC reported that O'Neal's last year in High school preceded Robinson's rookie year (O'Neal played for LSU 1989, same year as Robinson's rookie year), which means that O'Neal stating that he asked Robinson for an autograph after a Spurs game in San Antonion when he was in HS was made up. He was asked about it, but didn't deny or validate anything. The reason for his disrespect is that O'Neal's Orlando Magic never beat the Spurs, and Robinson refused to name O'Neal as one of the top 5 players during O'Neal's rookie season (which he wasn't - Jordan, Robinson, Hakeem, Ewing, Barkley, Malone, Stockton, Drexler were all better)

ambchang
06-03-2005, 07:13 AM
Wow, let's see .... constantly disrespecting David Robinson, dissing San Antonio as a city, calling himself the MDE, shouting in an exhibition game to Jerry Buss "are you going to pay me now?", refuse to put his body in shape during the regular season, put off his surgery right before the regular season because he has to heal on "company time", called the Kings the Queens, trying to act like a tough guy when he only picks on smaller players (that missed-punch on Brad Miller when Oakley was the one slapping him was just hilarious, and him being floored by Barkley, just incredibly funny stuff), blames every bad game on injuries, anything else people?

travis2
06-03-2005, 07:18 AM
People always hate greatness.

"Greatness" (whatever that is) somehow trumps boorishness?

Useruser666
06-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Shaq's not so bad. His game ruffles a lot of feathers, even mine when the Spurs play him. He is like a smart 8 yearold in a giant's body. Most of the disrespecting he did to DRob, the Spurs, and SA was during his stay at LA. Being that he's only socially developed to the level of a small child, it's understandable that he would get roped into having such an attitude.

Anything wrapped in gold and purple becomes a fixation for hate. Although now a days, it's more like pity. Since Shaq shed LA, he's been reborn in many peoples eyes. But if you really want to see Shaq in a good light, just stand him next to Kobe. Now doesn't Shaq all of sudden look like a good person?

Useruser666
06-03-2005, 07:25 AM
when he was still with Orlando, he booked an autograph session for a bunch of kids here in SA at the Live Oak Civic Center. All those kids had to pay to get in and Shaq no-showed on them. That was a big reason for me. Also the insults he has said about this city. This was a city who was a big supporter of his when he went to LSU and when he was drafted into the NBA.

But offering to pay for Mikan's funeral, IMO was incredibly thoughtful.

Some things I recall about the autograph session. It did have a buffet and DJ setup, so there were costs involved. The fee was only like $5.00, which is typical for events at the Live Oak civic center(It does cost money to rent the center out.). But the bigest thing was that not very many people shoowed up. I had heard that around 25 to 50 people actually went, so it was pretty much a bust.

rwb
06-03-2005, 07:32 AM
Cannot tolerate Shaq. I don't care if he could help the Spurs, I wouldn't want him here any more than I would have wanted Malone. Shaq wants everything to be about him, and that's not the Spurs way. He's an arrogant, mumbling, spoiled baby. And if the Spurs end up having to play Miami, Shaq is all we'll be seeing and hearing. I must admit that it's not as fun to hate the Lakers now that Shaq's not there.

travis2
06-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Some things I recall about the autograph session. It did have a buffet and DJ setup, so there were costs involved. The fee was only like $5.00, which is typical for events at the Live Oak civic center(It does cost money to rent the center out.). But the bigest thing was that not very many people shoowed up. I had heard that around 25 to 50 people actually went, so it was pretty much a bust.

Yeah, and it was right after he had been talking trash about the Spurs and San Antonio in general...I seem to recall him saying something really bright like "people are coming to see me not the Spurs" (paraphrased)...

Anyway, yeah, the place was dead...after his comments most people just said :flipoff.

I remember thinking at the time..."what an idiot...he actually believes enough people are going to show up that he needs to rent a place like that..."

ObiwanGinobili
06-03-2005, 07:47 AM
I'm not a fan of Shaq's in the least, but I think he's an allright guy.. even if he does say some pretty f*cked up stuff sometimes I just figure thats his lower intelect. I've notice him do some pretty nice things for other people that he didn't have to ... so maybe actions speak lowderthan words.
As far as on the court.... ewwww....he's like the jolly green giant. I think that alot of his ability is pure size and good coaching.
If he was on our team, I'll admit I might like him better.... but he be no where near my fav. In fact I bet there would be players on other teams that I'd like more.
Since he's on an opposing team tho... i say KILL HIM!

Momma_monkey
06-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Can't wait to kick his and his teams a-s-s in the Finals this year. That would be the cherry licking good.

GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!

duncan_21
06-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Let's see (in no particular order)
1. Dissing drob
2. The fact
3. For not getting in shape for the lakers
4. for not getting his toed fixed in the off season because he wanted to do it on "company time". If it's me and you're payin me bazillions of dollars I might get my surgery that allows me to do my job.
5. Proclaiming himself the most dominant player in the league
6. His shoulder he uses to back in the post as he runs over the defender and there's no call
7. His off arm he uses to push guys away to get his shot off, and never gets called for it
8. When he backs in and shuffles his feet but doesn't get called for the travel
9. His mumbling
10. How everyone thinks he's such a funny and articulate guy, he sounds like a mumbling idiot anytime he talks
11. He was a laker

Jimcs50
06-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Because I was behind him at the Ceasar's Palace Seafood Buffet one time and he took all the lobster tails before I got any. :flipoff

Don't even ask me about the dessert table.
:)

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 08:20 AM

Still...he made a committment and failed to honor it. If it was just that, it would be one thing but the fact that it was supposed to be for the kids and the kids got shafted...that bothered me. For the record...I don't hate him. I don't believe hate belongs in sports and I have always respected his ability on the court. On the court, he is one of the best ever.

Useruser666
06-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Still...he made a committment and failed to honor it. If it was just that, it would be one thing but the fact that it was supposed to be for the kids and the kids got shafted...that bothered me. For the record...I don't hate him. I don't believe hate belongs in sports and I have always respected his ability on the court. On the court, he is one of the best ever.

I guess my point was, that if you're going to go to an autograph signing for an opposing team's player, you deserve to be shafted! :lol

SWC Bonfire
06-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Shaq admitted that he made up the DRob story to act as motivation for himself, much like he congured up his "hatred" for Zo.

I like Shaq in spurts, but his self promotion is funny one minute and gets old the next. Psyching yourself up for an opponent is one thing, to publicly slander someone is something else.

Probably an OK person. Take him or leave him. But he needs to grow up (and still tell a joke every once and a while, he does have a good sense of humor).

Sec24Row7
06-03-2005, 08:34 AM
3 times....2001, 2002, and 2004....

We have beaten two times...1999 and 2003

well no... he has beaten us 4 times and we have beaten him 2.

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 08:44 AM
when was the 4th time? A team with Shaq has only played the Spurs five times in the playoffs, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004. Shaq got 01, 02 and 04, Spurs got 99 and 03.

Sec24Row7
06-03-2005, 08:51 AM
you're right... too early.

Jimcs50
06-03-2005, 08:53 AM
when was the 4th time? A team with Shaq has only played the Spurs five times in the playoffs, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004. Shaq got 01, 02 and 04, Spurs got 99 and 03.

It will be 3-3 in 2 wks.

209Goodfella
06-03-2005, 08:54 AM
I didnt care for the dissin of DROB but I think the cross eyed basterd is funny sometimes. :nerd

orhe
06-03-2005, 08:54 AM
i don't whats more disappointing? shaq's offer to cover george mikan's funeral or the fact that the media are all over it?

i came across this article about last month and it discussed in a pretty detailed fashion how George Mikan has been selling his memorabilias just to get by.... btw he has loss some of his body parts(and no he didn't sell it). (Mikan's career happened before the NBA decided to take care of their players)

now just because shaq offered help the media are all over it! WTF!!! it would've been better if they covered mikan before maybe that would've staved off his death or even just let him happily before he dies.

bigzak25
06-03-2005, 08:57 AM
eh...for those that 'hate' him?

if you ever met him, would you shake his hand if given the chance?

i would...and i'd tell him to come home to SA after his salary goes down...

SpurYank
06-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Shaq has no class. He looks at the Tim Duncan and D. Robinson interviews and is probably jealous as hell that he can't say one complete sentence. I'd have a lot more respect for him if he tried to grow in this area, and in being humble. He had very little to do with his size. Talk about being born with a silver spoon in yoiur mouth.

Also, can you imagine TD or DR ever saying saying something like "Mother Bleep ... " on national TV.

Simply no class!

Sportcamper
06-03-2005, 09:36 AM
There you have it folks...People that actually have had the pleasure to know or work with Shaquille away from basketball... think he is an awesome person... :smokin

Sequ Spur Quote: I think Shaq is awesome.

His Godfather was my first sergeant at BAMC for 2 years. His Dad was our supply sergeant for 2 years. He was still at LSU at the time and used to come to the office very frequently and play pickup games at the gym on Fort Sam Houston.

Last year, I took my little buddy who has numerous medical complications to meet him and Shaq and his dad were awesome to all of us.

I don't understand the hate either, I think it is just a Laker thing

leemajors
06-03-2005, 09:36 AM
mikan's family is very poor at this point, he had a long struggle with diabetes. there is nothing wrong with shaq offering to pay for his funeral, it is a very nice gesture. it is not his fault the media jumped all over it. i used to have little respect for shaq, but in the last few years he has proven to be an incredibly generous person. when in LA this last christmas he went to toys `r us and with his own money bought a lot of toys for underpriveleged kids and passed them out. i also hear he does a lot of community work in miami like he did in LA that is not reported on constantly. i think he has matured a bit with age. i also imagine he says a lot of stupid shit to the press just because he can, they live and die by what he says - i imagine it would be hard to not spew dumb shit just for fun if people hung on every word you uttered

Sportcamper
06-03-2005, 09:47 AM
We were just having this discussion on another board...The time Staples Center gauged the Lakers again & Dr. Buss made across the board cut backs...Shaq came in for a game & he noticed two of the towel boys were not there...

Shaq inquired...”Where is the Little Deaf Dude?” :lol

The situation was explained to him...Shaq apparently got quite upset within earshot of sportswriters...Shaq demanded that they both be picked up & be put on “his payroll" for the rest of the season...And that all of them get Championship rings, if the Lakers repeat...(I don't think Dr. Buss was too happy about being shown up in the LA Times like this)... :smokin

Shaq maybe crass & boorish...but he does have a heart of gold...

nkdlunch
06-03-2005, 09:52 AM
He aight, but he's toooooo full of himself. I can't stand to hear him talk. He might as well start talking about himself in the 3d person. Like in that Seinfeld episode.

adidas11
06-03-2005, 10:26 AM
It's true, Shaq has always done a lot for the community, and a LOT of it doesn't get any press (like it does for David Robinson). Shaq has ALWAYS been like this.

Shaq offering to pay for Mikan's funeral does not surprise me in the least. He's a standup guy, and from what I hear, Mikan's family is very poor. And to note, Shaq and Mikan were friends, and became very close during Shaq's years with my Lakers.

Now as far as his soundbites to the press? Think of it like what Ali used to do. He's says a lot of shit just to get a reaction from everyone. He's basically having fun with the press, the NBA, and everything in his surroundings (like the MTV Cribs special that they did at his LA house).

Like TimVP said, some people are just jealous of greatness. When Shaq is done with this game, he'll go down as one of the top 2 or 3 players in NBA history. Lose the hate.

Phenomanul
06-03-2005, 10:38 AM

Actually the Tally is:

Kobe & Shaq 2
Fisher 1

TD & DRob 2

Phenomanul
06-03-2005, 10:43 AM
It's true, Shaq has always done a lot for the community, and a LOT of it doesn't get any press (like it does for David Robinson). Shaq has ALWAYS been like this.

Shaq offering to pay for Mikan's funeral does not surprise me in the least. He's a standup guy, and from what I hear, Mikan's family is very poor. And to note, Shaq and Mikan were friends, and became very close during Shaq's years with my Lakers.

Now as far as his soundbites to the press? Think of it like what Ali used to do. He's says a lot of shit just to get a reaction from everyone. He's basically having fun with the press, the NBA, and everything in his surroundings (like the MTV Cribs special that they did at his LA house).

Like TimVP said, some people are just jealous of greatness. When Shaq is done with this game, he'll go down as one of the top 2 or 3 players in NBA history. Lose the hate.

Only cause ESPN rides his "nutz" as if they were the Holy Grail.
People only seem to remember recent successes.

Greater Players than Shaq.
Wilt Chamberlain
Michael Jordan
Bill Russell
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird

Dave McNulla
06-03-2005, 10:43 AM

Discuss.
i don't hate him, but his wwf antics did piss a lot of people off. he basically lied about drob to make him out to be some bad guy. that was his biggest mistake. his second was to call the spurs franchise names. if he hadn't done those two things, he could have been a favorite son of the city, in spite of his being an opponent.

but i think there is a lot more to him than a clown. he's a great player, except for myopic fans, and he's a good man. did you know that he donated to tim duncan's foundation when tim's father died in 2002?

Phenomanul
06-03-2005, 10:47 AM

By the way.... I don't hate anybody. Except Satan and his :devil 's But I guess they don't count as "human" entities.

P.S. Useruser666 is not really one of Lucifer's agents.

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 10:48 AM

Another shot at Robinson...talk about hate.

By the way.... I don't hate anybody.

Neither do I, Hem...but as usual..Adidas seems to overlook that part.

Phenomanul
06-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Only cause ESPN rides his "nutz" as if they were the Holy Grail.
People only seem to remember recent successes.

Greater Players than Shaq.
Wilt Chamberlain
Michael Jordan
Bill Russell
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird

Oh yeah... and when it's all said and done... Duncan will have at least 5 championship rings on his fingers and thus be remembered as a greater player....

lose your hate.

Phenomanul
06-03-2005, 10:52 AM

Right... like the national media lingers here in San Antonio to dig up DRob's latest act of generosity.... DRob does so many heartwarming things that go unnoticed...

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Both players have done a fine job in the community and a lot of it won't get national attention. Players all over the league do alot in their respective cities that get local attention but not national. This doesn't have to be a "who is better" contest. Has Robinson done more? possibly...but unless you know all that Shaq has done you can't say that and vice versa. Adidas always seems to think that ALL Spurs fans think their team is the only ones that ever do anything in the community. That is just not true. Some Spurs fans may think that...they would be wrong. A lot of Spurs fans like myself applaud the contributions of the Spurs but that gets interpreted, incorrectly, as we think they are the only ones. We are not bashing others, we are praising our own.

Sec24Row7
06-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Bill Russell and Chamberlain don't belong on that list honestly.

I know Ill get creamed for that, but there are 10 players in the league today that are better than chamberlain, and like 25 better than Russell.

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 11:11 AM
I know Ill get creamed for that, but there are 10 players in the league today that are better than chamberlain, and like 25 better than Russell.

Who? Not bashing you...just curious.

Phenomanul
06-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Both players have done a fine job in the community and a lot of it won't get national attention. Players all over the league do alot in their respective cities that get local attention but not national. This doesn't have to be a "who is better" contest. Has Robinson done more? possibly...but unless you know all that Shaq has done you can't say that and vice versa. Adidas always seems to think that ALL Spurs fans think their team is the only ones that ever do anything in the community. That is just not true. Some Spurs fans may think that...they would be wrong. A lot of Spurs fans like myself applaud the contributions of the Spurs but that gets interpreted, incorrectly, as we think they are the only ones. We are not bashing others, we are praising our own.

I'm not down playing Shaq's charitable contributions off the court...

I'm just trying to point out that David NEVER had to point the finger to himself for these things to get noticed. They were self-evident acts.

Again that's not to say that Shaq ALWAYS has to point out whenever he is doing something generous and selfless. But the mere fact that HE has to self promote SOME of his actions on National TV (as opposed to Local TV). I don't know.... I would "hate" to judge his motives..... especially when genuinely needy people have benefited from his actions.

Sec24Row7
06-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Ok Just off the top of my head...

Duncan
Shaq
Rasheed Wallace
Jermaine O'Neil
Amare
Kevin Garnett
Zach Randolph
Nowitzki
Yao Ming
Soon to be- Dwight Howard and Emeka Okafor

Better than Russell...

all the above plus
Ben Wallace
Antonio Davis
Robert Horry
Dale Davis
Mutombo
etc...

Remember Russell won all his championships when the league was EIGHT teams.

You just can't compare him to players in this era.

What was he too, like 6'9"?

He would get creamed by all the people in the top 10 I listed, which isn't surprising considering Chamberlain Creamed him every time they played, though he "held" him to 45.

Phenomanul
06-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Ok Just off the top of my head...

Duncan
Shaq
Rasheed Wallace
Jermaine O'Neil
Amare
Kevin Garnett
Zach Randolph
Nowitzki
Yao Ming
Soon to be- Dwight Howard and Emeka Okafor

Better than Russell...

all the above plus
Ben Wallace
Antonio Davis
Robert Horry
Dale Davis
Mutombo
etc...

Remember Russell won all his championships when the league was EIGHT teams.

You just can't compare him to players in this era.

What was he too, like 6'9"?

He would get creamed by all the people in the top 10 I listed, which isn't surprising considering Chamberlain Creamed him every time they played, though he "held" him to 45.

Man.... Russell averaged more than 20 rebounds per season two or three distinct seasons....

That is unreal.... his rebounding instincts alone should garner him a place on that list.

BTW I forgot Oscar Robertson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Elgin Baylor.

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Russell was 6'11. Wallace and the Davises don't have the offensive skills Russell had and Horry is not as good of a defender as Russell was. I would respectfully disagree. Although I do also think its not an accurate comparison when you compare players from different eras. There are some now who could play then and vice versa. Overall I think players are better athletes now but they also have a lot of improvements and advancements that help. Plane travel, luxury accomodations, improved traning regimens....legal nutritional supplements. You also never heard players back then sit out because of contract disputes or "nintendo thumb" too many variables.

Just my .02

Sec24Row7
06-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Real hard to get Rebounds against slow 6'5 white forwards shooting jumpshots 4 seconds into the shot clock.

TOP-CHERRY
06-03-2005, 11:30 AM
I don't know if this has been said already (cause I don't feel like reading 3 pgs of posts), but didn't Shaq go to the police academy?

I saw it on TV; they said that during the Finals in LA (don't remember what year) he was actually working on a case to arrest pedophiles who used the internet to meet children.

I know he sounds like a total ass on camera, but I think he's actually working really hard this year in helping his team win, and how can you not laugh at his interviews? ;)

I actually have respect for him... Which I didn't have before.
(And no; he's not overrated)

Sec24Row7
06-03-2005, 11:34 AM
btw he was 6'10" 220

my bad... but he wasn't 6'11

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 11:39 AM
nor was he 6'9

ambchang
06-03-2005, 11:53 AM
When Shaq is done with this game, he'll go down as one of the top 2 or 3 players in NBA history. Lose the hate.

Let's see ...

Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Michael Jordan
Hakeem Olajuwon
Moses Malone
David Robinson
Jerry West
Bob Cousy

Which 9 on this list would you take out to make room for Shaq?

MadDog73
06-03-2005, 11:55 AM
From what I've seen of Shaq's personal life, he seems like a great guy.

Sure, he ribs other teams, like the Spurs and the Kings, and he made fun of Yao Ming's ethnicity, which was totally unacceptable.

But I think Shaq's just dumb. He doesn't think before he does things, and it gets him in trouble sometimes.

Also, his glory days are fading fast. IF the Pistons don't beat the Heat, the Spurs will. He's not worth what he's being paid, that's for sure, not with his injuries.

SWC Bonfire
06-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Let's see ...

Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Michael Jordan
Hakeem Olajuwon
Moses Malone
David Robinson
Jerry West
Bob Cousy

Which 9 on this list would you take out to make room for Shaq?

Most casual observers would boot off the Admiral. By casual I mean not old enough to have seen David run circles around Shaq back when he was healthy and The Man.

tlongII
06-03-2005, 11:57 AM
People here hate Shaq because he has beaten the Spurs more often than he has lost to them.

ambchang
06-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Russell was 6'11. Wallace and the Davises don't have the offensive skills Russell had and Horry is not as good of a defender as Russell was. I would respectfully disagree. Although I do also think its not an accurate comparison when you compare players from different eras. There are some now who could play then and vice versa. Overall I think players are better athletes now but they also have a lot of improvements and advancements that help. Plane travel, luxury accomodations, improved traning regimens....legal nutritional supplements. You also never heard players back then sit out because of contract disputes or "nintendo thumb" too many variables.

Just my .02

Whew, I would have just left his comparisons of Russell to Wallace, the Davises and Horry by itself to let all the readers bask in his ignorant glory. Using somebody's height to downplay their greatness is just sad. Wes Unseld, Oakley and Rodman are all under 6'9" but were great defenders of big men and amazing rebounders, how do you explain that?

ambchang
06-03-2005, 12:02 PM
People here hate Shaq because he has beaten the Spurs more often than he has lost to them.

That's why you REALLY hate the Spurs.

ambchang
06-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Most casual observers would boot off the Admiral. By casual I mean not old enough to have seen David run circles around Shaq back when he was healthy and The Man.

Yeah, but there is still 8 more to take off.
BTW, just got reminded by another poster about Oscar Robertson and Elgin Baylor.
So, 10 more to take off.

adidas11
06-03-2005, 12:04 PM
On that list, I would place Jordan (the most fundamentally sound basketball player that I have ever seen) and MAYBE Bill Russell ahead of Shaq. He has already surpassed players like Bird, Magic, and Wilt.

orhe
06-03-2005, 12:05 PM
well i'm not mad at shaq :) im just mad w/ all the publicity his offer got in comparison to what Mikan got during his struggles

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 12:07 PM
This is why I don't think the "best of all time" arguments are accurate. How can you compare guards to forwards and forwards to centers? Its all subjective, I guess.

MadDog73
06-03-2005, 12:08 PM
On that list, I would place Jordan (the most fundamentally sound basketball player that I have ever seen) and MAYBE Bill Russell ahead of Shaq. He has already surpassed players like Bird, Magic, and Wilt.

Talk about a homer.... how exactly has Shaq surpassed Bird, Magic and Wilt?

ambchang
06-03-2005, 12:11 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Man, I have to see doctor from the stomach cramps I get from laughing too loud.
Just to keep the spirit going, I also find the Lada to be a superior vehicle to BMWs.

sa_butta
06-03-2005, 12:11 PM
<<Hates Shaq because he is a cocky bastard. I dont give two shits for his childish attitude and tasteless jokes. Just not a classy guy in my book. Dont get me wrong I think he is a gamer. I saw him at club three years ago after the lakers had beaten the Spurs in a regular season game and noone went up to him. Personally I wanted to Jump up and punch him in the nuts. I dont hate him cause he has beaten us before, cause Hakeem owned us but I liked him all around.

adidas11
06-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Talk about a homer.... how exactly has Shaq surpassed Bird, Magic and Wilt?

Winning 3 titles in a row (and winning 3 straight NBA Finals MVPs in a row) is a good start.

And I'm the biggest Magic Johnson fan EVER. So take that to heart in this discussion.

ambchang
06-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Winning 3 titles in a row (and winning 3 straight NBA Finals MVPs in a row) is a good start.

And I'm the biggest Magic Johnson fan EVER. So take that to heart in this discussion.

So winning 5 titles, 3 MVPs, 2 Finals MVP (or was it 3), 9 Finals appearance is not a good start?

And how about Bird? 3 rings, 3 straight MVPs?

Wilt? 2 MVPs, a 68-13 season, and another 69-13 season? 100 point game, 50.4 average, 55 rebounds, 27.4 average? Leading the league in assists as a centre.

Let's see what Shaq has done:
Winning 3 straight titles, 3 straight finals MVP (very impressive), one MVP, a 67-15 season, 15-1 postseason record, zero rebounding titles, zero blocked shot title, one scoring title as the MDE, getting swept out of the playoffs 3 times, not making the playoffs during his rookie year. And there there is the playing overweight and not getting into shape kind of unprofessionalism. Shaq COULD have been the best ever, he COULD have been the top 5 player ever, but he just isn't.

CavsSuperFan
06-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Washington Post:

"There's no one I really hate, but Kobe Bryant had a demeanor of being very cocky," he said. "What happened with Shaq. . . . If I had a chance to play with Shaq or Tim Duncan, if they told me to buy them groceries, I don't care, I buy them groceries. It's a gift to play with somebody like that. Kobe is probably one of the guys that, everybody knows it, he's got that cocky arrogance to him, everything has to surround around him the whole time. Otherwise, he doesn't function. That's the biggest example.

"If you're playing with Shaquille [O'Neal], a Hall of Famer, you keep your mouth shut and play if you want more rings," Bogut continued... :smokin

adidas11
06-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Lose the hate, ambchang. It will help improve the quality of your life.

Shaq is a top 3 player. Nuff said.

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 12:33 PM

in your opinion. but that doesn't make it so. ambchang has the right to feel how he wants.

duncan_21
06-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Actually russell was probly in the 6'6 to 6'8 range. They might have listed him at 6'9 or 6'10. Just like duncan isn't 7'0 and more like 6'10 and shaq is more like just under 7'0 and not 7'1. Height aside, from players i haven't watched oscar robertson was probably the best player of all time.

Of the players I've watched I think these guys are better:
(In no particular order)

1. Garnett
2. duncan
3. hakeem
4. magic
5. moses malone
6. jordan
7. bird

MadDog73
06-03-2005, 12:38 PM

Didn't Wilt start playing before Finals MVP awards? :rolleyes

Wilt led the league in PPG for 7 straight years. His average is 30.1 ppg.

Led rebounding for 11 of his 14 years. 22.9 reb. avg.

As for Magic Johnson, winning 5 titles, and 3 Final MVPs over 8 years is more impressive than 3 titles and 3 MVPs in a row.

Even more impressive is Magic did this with other MVP players around him (like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who won the Finals MVP in 1984-85).

And Bird? Well, true, he only has two final MVP awards. But he does have 3 rings. And the only reason he doesn't have more is the aforementioned Lakers that stopped him.

But let's take your argument a step further: Since you think that Shaq is a top 3 player, than Tim Duncan should be right beneath him, since he bookmarked the Shaq Era with 2 Rings, and 2 Final MVPs.

Phenomanul
06-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Didn't Wilt start playing before Finals MVP awards? :rolleyes

Wilt led the league in PPG for 7 straight years. His average is 30.1 ppg.

Led rebounding for 11 of his 14 years. 22.9 reb. avg.

As for Magic Johnson, winning 5 titles, and 3 Final MVPs over 8 years is more impressive than 3 titles and 3 MVPs in a row.

Even more impressive is Magic did this with other MVP players around him (like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who won the Finals MVP in 1984-85).

And Bird? Well, true, he only has two final MVP awards. But he does have 3 rings. And the only reason he doesn't have more is the aforementioned Lakers that stopped him.

But let's take your argument a step further: Since you think that Shaq is a top 3 player, than Tim Duncan should be right beneath him, since he bookmarked the Shaq Era with 2 Rings, and 2 Final MVPs.

Soon enough Adidas11's logic will be his own demise... as he will never admit that Duncan was a greater i.e. "more dominant" player than Shaq.

Time will prove us right.

clubalien
06-03-2005, 01:20 PM
spurs hate shaq because he hates SA
and he hates sa for these reasons
1:) he wishes he was david robinson
he comes from SA therefore he woudl love to play for san antonio insted of magic and the lakers but since david was here he never got a chance to play here in sa
2:)when he played david even when david was about to retire david always schooled him and polayed him grat on defense, and early years dominated him offensivly
3:)david REFUSED to give him an autograph every everyone gets an autograph from david except hen he is with his family or something but he REFUSES to give one to shaq.. enough said

basicly shaq wishes he was the home town boy getting props but david rob has always out did him. that said to make pease with the earth i think we shoudl trade breent barry + rasho + tony parker to heat for shaq and let him play center here before he retires then the world will live in peace

ambchang
06-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Lose the hate, ambchang. It will help improve the quality of your life.

Me not ranking Shaq as top 3 ever is hate, while ... what do you call yourself not ranking Chamberlain, Magic, Bird, Dr. J et al is called again?
I am not saying Shaq sucks, he is definitely top 20 all time, arguably top 10, a stretch at top 5, and just no way in top 3.
Just tell me why Shaq is top 3 of all time, like I posted earlier, 3 straight finals MVP alone is not enough.

pooh
06-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Lot of people forget also that Magic got swept twice in the finals - '83 to the Sixers and '89 to the Pistons.

I think a lot of people should get over the "dissing" Robinson thing. It's taken on a life of its' own over the years and has since become something of a "myth".

Shaq is good and right now you have to put him up there with the best of all time in the center position. As an overall factor? Who knows. Fundamentially he has flaws, but who doesn't? He's always up for league MVP every year, (as with Duncan) and every night he's capable of putting up huge numbers.

Granted he says stupid things, but if you still remember it after all these years, then his work was a success, he got inside of your head.

I'm sure he contributes to charities and everything like that. Granted he's not Robinson, and really who is?

polandprzem
06-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Actually russell was probly in the 6'6 to 6'8 range. They might have listed him at 6'9 or 6'10. Just like duncan isn't 7'0 and more like 6'10 and shaq is more like just under 7'0 and not 7'1. Height aside, from players i haven't watched oscar robertson was probably the best player of all time.

Of the players I've watched I think these guys are better:
(In no particular order)

1. Garnett
2. duncan
3. hakeem
4. magic
5. moses malone
6. jordan
7. bird

As far as I know - when Russell was playing they were listing players wihout the shoes.

pache100
06-03-2005, 02:15 PM

I am not a Shaq fan, but I have a lot of respect for the guy. You don't have to like someone to respect them. Most of Shaq's trash-talking is for his own benefit, it builds him up, somehow. David Robinson just happened to get in the cross-hairs once, I don't think Shaq meant anything personal by what he said about David Robinson.

My main complaint against Shaq is the way he talks about San Antonio. No one should ever talk down about a city that put them on the proverbial radar like San Antonio did for Shaq. If it had not been for the coaches at Cole High School and the local media and the love of the citizens of San Antonio...Shaq would be NOBODY. I just don't think he should dis San Antonio.

Other than that, I just take everything he says with a grain of salt. I actually think he's pretty humorous. I'd love to see him and Charles Barkley co-host a sports talk show together when Shaq retires. Talk about hilarious!

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Shaq likes the drama and he likes playing the bad guy. Most of the time he is really funny and he and Barkley would be great.

My main complaint against Shaq is the way he talks about San Antonio.

that was always my issue with him...but it never fostered hatred of the man and never changed my opinion of his play on the court.

MadDog73
06-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Too early to call Shaq the "greatest of all time." Way too early.

Phenomanul
06-03-2005, 02:38 PM

I am not a Shaq fan, but I have a lot of respect for the guy. You don't have to like someone to respect them. Most of Shaq's trash-talking is for his own benefit, it builds him up, somehow. David Robinson just happened to get in the cross-hairs once, I don't think Shaq meant anything personal by what he said about David Robinson.

My main complaint against Shaq is the way he talks about San Antonio. No one should ever talk down about a city that put them on the proverbial radar like San Antonio did for Shaq. If it had not been for the coaches at Cole High School and the local media and the love of the citizens of San Antonio...Shaq would be NOBODY. I just don't think he should dis San Antonio.

Other than that, I just take everything he says with a grain of salt. I actually think he's pretty humorous. I'd love to see him and Charles Barkley co-host a sports talk show together when Shaq retires. Talk about hilarious!

He wrote it in his book... dedicated a whole section to it. The whole "he wasn't thinking when he said it" argument or "didn't mean it" just doesn't cut it when you take the time to have it written down and published.

As for the second comment... I was just thinking they would show the clip of both of them fighting as part of the opening credits to the show... Now that would be irony.

edit: I added the "and published" part because I realized several posters here often "write" something down without really thinking about it....

Smackie Chan
06-03-2005, 03:56 PM
There are only two types of NBA fans in the world.
The ones who have Shaq on their team, and the one's who wish Shaq was on their team, does that answer your question?

Sometimes you just have to rack yourself :smokin

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-03-2005, 04:53 PM
He bitches to the media whenever things don't go his way. The drama with Kobe was absolutely childish and pathetic. The media licks his ass (although I guess I can't blame him for that). If he bothered to keep himself in shape he might have actually earned the whole "Most Dominant Force in the NBA" title. And last but not least, he gets called for a fraction of the offensive fouls he commits. And the commentators cover for it with their BS of "Well he's just so large that it's tough to really call what's a foul and what's just Shaq being Shaq." What a load!

mavsfan1000
06-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Would Shaq still be dominant player if the refs called everything offensive fouls and 3 seconds? I feel part of his success was getting superstar treatment. Put him in the olympics and we see how quickly he will get fouls.

adidas11
06-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Quote: "Put him in the olympics and we see how quickly he will get fouls."

Actually, Shaq won the MVP award in 1994 when he was playing with Team USA in the World Basketball Championships.

duncan_21
06-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Quote: "Put him in the olympics and we see how quickly he will get fouls."

Actually, Shaq won the MVP award in 1994 when he was playing with Team USA in the World Basketball Championships.

94 was when he still actually played basketball. The last 4 years or so he's been so out of shape that he just lowers the shoulder or raises his off arm and pushes his defender out of the way to score while the refs look the other way.

THAT style of play would get him fouled out of every olympic game. I wish he would have worked hard in his career. He was so amazing his first 5 years in the league. With his amazing quickness and strength, although he was schooled my drob throughout his career.

Duff McCartney
06-04-2005, 01:20 AM
When Shaq is done with this game, he'll go down as one of the top 2 or 3 players in NBA history. Lose the hate.

Personally, I think to be considered one of the top 2 or 3 players in the history of the NBA, you have to be able to make a shot outside of 4 feet from the rim.

Shaq couldn't make a shot outside 4 feet to save his life.

I get annoyed when people call him the greatest center ever, when the only thing he does is knock over people and dunk, or make a weak layup. You can't be great if that's the ONLY move you have. Nobody would really say this, but I will I think Shaq is as one dimensional as they come. The only reason he gets blocks and boards, is by size alone. He has only one way of ever scoring, by pushing people out of the way with his size. If he could actually shoot the ball, then maybe he'd be dominant.

duncan_21
06-04-2005, 01:36 AM
Personally, I think to be considered one of the top 2 or 3 players in the history of the NBA, you have to be able to make a shot outside of 4 feet from the rim.

Shaq couldn't make a shot outside 4 feet to save his life.

I get annoyed when people call him the greatest center ever, when the only thing he does is knock over people and dunk, or make a weak layup. You can't be great if that's the ONLY move you have. Nobody would really say this, but I will I think Shaq is as one dimensional as they come. The only reason he gets blocks and boards, is by size alone. He has only one way of ever scoring, by pushing people out of the way with his size. If he could actually shoot the ball, then maybe he'd be dominant.

My other problem other then what you already stated that by the rules shaq really doesn't have enough game to make him even a top 10 player of all time. By the rules you can't move a defender by lowering your shoulder and ramming into him or by using your off arm and moving the player that way.

Often basketball rules are ignored by officials but it is so blatent with snaq that it needs to be called. If he didn't get those no calls from the refs he wouldn't be half as effective as he has been in the last 3 or 4 years.

Spurs Biggest Fan
06-04-2005, 02:16 AM
He is always dishing his community... he was suppose to attend some kids camp in LA a while back and he was a no show -- all he thinks about is himself.. yea that's all good and dandy -- he's a great father -- but the money he gets -- I still feel he should give back to this community - whether it be LA or SA (where he went to school) or now Miami --

He is a selfish man and I just don't like him.

Yes he is dominant on the court but only because he is soooo big... heck if you were 7' tall and weighed 360 lbs -- wouldn't YOU throw your weight around too?

Well that and also that fact that he called the Spurs the WNBA -

when he gives us some credit -- maybe -- maybe - then we might give him his due - till then -- no way -- he is the enemy till then...

Wade is a cool dude -- just like the Nash -- I would never diss Wade -- I just don't want him to win vs. the spurs -- tis all -- :) - simple as that.

milkyway21
06-04-2005, 02:49 AM
i hate ShaQ because:
-he is a blabber :blah and doesn't RESPECT some of the NBA players and coaches.

-laughed and mocked Bibby for being included in the Olympic qualifying team in Puerto Rico, called him a a boy scout, who only made a name of himself bec. he plays in Sac, a playoff team.

-for calling Sacramento Kings "the Sacramento Queens".

-for calling the Spurs "an WNBA team" on David Lettermen Show after they've been swept by Duncan/Admiral in 1999?

-for the Lakers calling the Spurs "Spuritis" after the Spurs lost twice to Lakers in the 2001 & 2002 WC playoffs?

-doesn't want to participate in the Olympic Qualifying or Olympic team because Larry Brown is the coach.

-Proclaims himself as Superman?

-Being such a drama king, wanted the Lakers staff to exaggerate his injury so nobody would blame of the team's losses?

-desputing Duncan's MVP in 2002?

-agreeing to the asterisk* Phil Jackson put on Spurs' 1999 title?

-for dreaming of "immortality" because he's still on David and Olojawon's level?

-calling himself "sexy" on that wheaties breakfast box?
argghhhhhhhh!!! please. 340 lbs is sexy? :D

-said that Stu's 1 game suspension on Duncan on that Jack Nies incident was NOT enough?:cuss

-Big Ego as big as his butt!

and in 2004 All-Star, after taking some gulp.. for giving Dirk Nowitski that plastic of Gatorade or something(?), making Dirk looked like a waterboy? BTW, Dirk kinda irked on that gesture, he smiled awkwardly seemed lost what to do with ShaQ leftover :lmao.

i still have many of my reasons...so many, i lost count:rolleyes.

mavsfan1000
06-04-2005, 02:53 AM
I don't like Shaq because he has an ultra ego and says stupid shit. For example : a tattoo of superman logo. He also gets all the calls from the ref. He wouldn't be the same in the Olympics because all those are offensive fouls. At one time when he was thinner he could play basketball without fouling all the time.

milkyway21
06-04-2005, 02:59 AM
I don't like Shaq because he has an ultra ego and says stupid shit. For example : a tattoo of superman logo. He also gets all the calls from the ref. He wouldn't be the same in the Olympics because all those are offensive fouls. At one time when he was thinner he could play basketball without fouling all the time.so obsessed being Superman, even his "cribs" full of it.

i was laughing when i watched MTV visited Shaq's cribs. what a beautiful house w/ a lot of Superman's logos around it:D

SpurYank
06-04-2005, 08:23 AM
OK, I've read all your input into Shaq's popularity. I still say he doesn't have the skills of at least 5 big men in the NBA who can dribble, shoot a J, pass with skill, and apply a rationale to how and why they play the way they do. Let's face it, Shaq has pure brutal strength. If you are an opposing center defending against him, you will take a beating and have umpteen fouls called against you. Also, I watch him with the ball under the basket and he travels more often than not. But will officials call traveling? He's the NBA's meal ticket. Of course they won't.

Finally, if I were making the money he is, I'd probably be more like Bill Gates: giving for causes that help humanity and the disadvantaged. The stories about the "little deaf kid" and George Mikan are exemplary, but too little, too few, and too far in-between.

When he used that remark on TV this week, " ... I'm a ... mother 'bleeper'..." one sportscaster on SportsCenter couldn't stop complimenting him enough for being such a great funny man.

Shaq has no class.

I promise not to go here anymore. Let's get on with the playoffs.

ALVAREZ6
06-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Shaq is unfair...almost cheating.

3 Ring Timmy
06-04-2005, 11:06 AM
7 foot Punk

MadDog73
06-04-2005, 11:22 AM
"I'm just getting better and better. It's just like a bunch of worker bees protecting the king bee, because I'm not a queen bee. I'm a king bee." ---> Shaq

Speaks for itself. What an arrogant ass!

easjer
06-04-2005, 04:45 PM
I go back on forth on it all the time. I think he's a one dimensional player who gets beyond preferential treatment from the refs. When he doesn't, he bitches about it. He's got a big ego. He's said some bad things about SA. He takes no responsibility for keeping in shape or for team morale or for losses or anything. I dislike that.

But he has been generous, and has helped out the community. The Mikan gesture was great, but on the other hand, what did he do for his 'friend' and 'idol' when he was alive and desperately needed the help? Mikan had to sell all his memoriabilia, including his MVP trophy to pay for his medical treatments. ESPN had an interview where he and and his son talked about that and it was heart wrenching - the only time Mikan didn't have a smile on his face. There is a lot Shaq could have done privately and personally to help or to get the pre-65'ers a better pension deal, and he didn't.

But in the end, I don't hate him. I don't care for him, but he can be amusing. Just like in fall of '98, when I first came to college in Houston. Lakers were playing the Rockets and a friend and I were in the Galleria, and we noticed a disturbance. We went to see what it was, and there is Shaq, surrounded by a ton of people. He signed some autographs, then headed on with a small circle of body guards around him (earpieces, visible guns, etc). I laughed so hard I fell down the stairs - he was a good foot taller than the tallest of his bodyguards. Now I remember that everytime I see him.

ambchang
06-04-2005, 05:26 PM
he will not be considered top 2-3 players ever----an arguement can be made that he aint even top 2-3 center and VALID arguements (dream, wilt, russel, kareem)

ease off his nuts media/heat fans

Are you kidding? There is NO WAY Shaq is the top 2-3 center of all time, you don't even NEED arguments for that one. There's always Wilt, Kareem and Russell, and then there is Hakeem, Robinson, Moses Malone, and to a lesser extent Wes Unseld and Nate Thurmond (I think he was just extremely underrated.)

He's not the top 2-3 Laker of all time (Wilt, Magic, West, Baylor), and not even the top Heat of all time (he only played one year, Mourning beat him on this) but he is the top Magic of all time though.

reydawg
06-04-2005, 05:51 PM
I third this opinion. He didn't have to announce his charity. I find this an insult to Makin's family, like they're a bunch of destitute slobs who can't afford to put their father/grandfather to rest without Shaq's help.

You don't really believe this do you? Come on. Nobody thinks Mikan's family is slobs. I think it's pretty apparent to sports fans (who are the only ones who even know about Mikan's death and Shaq's generosity) that Mikan played in a different era and was not renumerated as well as today's players. I seriously doubt Mikan's family was insulted by Shaq's actions, so you shouldn't be either.

Bottom line here: if joe blow had never heard of GM until he died and thought that GM's family was slobs b/c they needed Shaq's public help, then joe blow is not much of a contemporary sports fan and doesn't care about Shaq and GM anyway. No big deal. Great gesture by Shaq.

Useruser666
06-04-2005, 05:55 PM
He wrote it in his book... dedicated a whole section to it. The whole "he wasn't thinking when he said it" argument or "didn't mean it" just doesn't cut it when you take the time to have it written down and published.

As for the second comment... I was just thinking they would show the clip of both of them fighting as part of the opening credits to the show... Now that would be irony.

edit: I added the "and published" part because I realized several posters here often "write" something down without really thinking about it....

Do you actually believe Shaq "wrote" that book? :lol

cherylsteele
06-04-2005, 07:03 PM

How in the world can you people not include George Mikan in this discussion?

Here a few things he changed about the game.

They widened the lane.
They introduced the shot clock.
They changed the goal-tending rule.

Hes has to be considered one the all time greats....sure he was before our time....but he was unquestionably the most dominate player of his era.

mavsfan1000
06-04-2005, 08:12 PM
The way the refs are these days he is. Shaq is always knocking the defender back which should be an offensive foul. Players are afraid to fall and get run over by Shaq so they try to stay up but it is an offensive foul.

Rydia
06-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Why do we hate a big fat arrogant refrigerator? A big mass of body that huddles under the basket waiting for his chance to DUNK? "Get me da ball more". He is the least talented in the NBA. Just because you are a big slab of meat and weigh more than anyone else? Of course he can win. Wouldn't you if you just stood there looking like a dufus and block the entire basket with your excess weight?!? He THINKS he's so clever and funny. In my opinion, I worry if he were to take an I.Q. test. Something tells me it wouldn't inch up very high. Just because he's rich and beefy doesn't constitute a good basketball player. Guess what? You need talent too. Poor Amare, he reminds me alot of Shaq. He gets that same dumb look on his face and selfishly waits around near the basket so he can show the world, "hey, look at me, I just dunked the ball! I'm sooo cool!" Real smart...
Also, I know Shaq is a married man and I didn't appreciate seeing him get caught on camera watching a lame girl walk by, and he had that same dumb look on his face like he usually does, only this time he looked awful hungry (imagine that), like he saw a nice chunk of meat! ick......
Could this be why I'm not crazy about Shaq? DUH!

Rydia
06-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Also, every single time Shaq gets the ball and he's not one foot under the basket, he shoves his hiney out and starts shoving it against the poor defender until he pretty much slams him around (remember the refrigerator remark), and oila! He draws a foul. Too bad he can't make his free throws. (And they think Tim Duncan is bad). I'm so sick to death of Shaq and his ugly tone he uses when talking with reporters. It's too bad the rest of the world isn't as handsome and intelligent as Shaquille O'Neal.....Wow!!!! :nope
I could go on and on and on.....
I think you get the point.