PDA

View Full Version : No Place To Run, No Place To Hide In Iraq

Nbadan
09-26-2004, 05:07 AM
More unreported news from the war...

Oct. 4 issue - Bricks and plaster blew inward from the wall, as the windows all shattered and I fell to the floor—whether from the shock wave, or just fright, it wasn't clear. The blast was so loud it sounded as if the building couldn't possibly stand, but it did. Toaster-size chunks of twisted metal fell in the yard and banged off the roof; later they'd be identified as pieces of a U.S. Army Humvee, blown up by a suicide car-bomb a full block away. No one was hurt in that building, which had been heavily blast-protected. But out on the street, 18 people perished, including one U.S. soldier; another three grunts were seriously burned and several children at a nearby Iraqi house were injured. Among the dead were three Iraqis who were incinerated in their car—which was so badly mangled it took wailing relatives more than a day to extract their corpses.

Perhaps the most remarkable thing about the incident was that it scarcely made the news. It was just another among a recent surge of terrorist attacks, one of two suicide car-bombs that day in the Mansour neighborhood of Baghdad. Besides, everyone was focused on the discovery of the headless corpse of American Jack Hensley, 48, found floating in the Tigris River. Gruesome videos of Hensley's beheading and that of fellow American Eugene (Jack) Armstrong, 52, played on Islamic Web sites. Armstrong's body was later dropped off only five blocks from his home, also in upscale Mansour.

In a way that bombs and bullets don't, the agony of the 23 hostages now being held by insurgents hits hard with Westerners here. It's not difficult to imagine yourself blindfolded and kneeling in a jihadi snuff film. The 140 hostages taken since April include a score of nationalities and people of many professions. Truck drivers, journalists, missionaries, businessmen—all have been targets. Many hostages have been released, but not recently. Of 28 people killed, 24 had their final screams recorded on tape and bandied about the Web. It's a form of terrorism that's deeply personal and, as in Beirut in the 1980s, disproportionately effective.

The day after Hensley's body was found, his surviving colleague, Briton Kenneth Bigley, 62, was shown in a video as he wept —and pleaded with his prime minister. "Please, please," he said, "I need you to help me, Mr. Blair, you are the only one who can help me. I need to live, I want to live..." His captors are from the Tawhid and Jihad group, led by Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi, a Jordanian terrorist with Qaeda ties. It was apparently Zarqawi—identified by the CIA from a voiceprint—who had personally cut the Americans' throats as they struggled and screamed; he then severed their heads and held them up for a bloody close-up—in one case, casually gouging out the victim's eye. Later another group, calling itself Followers of Zawahiri (after the Qaeda No. 2, Ayman al-Zawahiri), boasted that they had beheaded two Italian antiwar activists, Simona Pari and Simona Toretta, who had been snatched from their Baghdad home on Sept. 7. But no film emerged, and Italian officials said they believed the claim to be a hoax.

Throughout Italy, people hung white sheets from their windows in reply to a Vatican appeal to show solidarity with the two Simonas. In Britain, Bigley's extraordinary plea stirred up strong antiwar feelings, putting Blair in an awkward position on the eve of Labour's party conference. "I feel desperately for Kenneth Bigley and his family," said the conservative opposition leader, Michael Howard. "And I feel for Blair, too, who is in the most unenviable predicament." Blair telephoned Bigley's family twice to express his sympathy, but refused to give in to Zarqawi's demands.

That same day in Washington, President George W. Bush only mentioned the beheadings in passing, as he shared a podium with Iraqi interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi at the White House Rose Garden. "We're sickened by the atrocities. But we'll never be intimidated. And freedom is winning." For his part, the Iraqi leader blamed the press for the bad images. "In 15 out of our 18 Iraqi provinces we could hold elections tomorrow," he said. "Although this is not what we see in your media, it is a fact."

Much of that media, ourselves included, were in virtual hiding last week, as were nearly all foreign civilians—hostages have even included Russians, French, and 12 Nepalese workers, who were assassinated without any plausible justification. Intelligence that criminal gangs are kidnapping foreigners and selling them to terrorist groups has increased fears about moving around Iraq. Heavily armed convoys of contractors' SUVs, once a common sight, have all but disappeared from busy roads. "The only serious reconstruction going on now," says one Western businessman, "is inside the Green Zone," the heavily fortified area that houses Iraqi government and American Embassy offices, and is guarded by an entire U.S. Army brigade. "We're trapped in a rat's cage," says an ambassador from a non-Coalition country in Europe, who no longer leaves his bunker-like residential compound. "No area of Baghdad is risk-free."

Many foreign companies have suspended operations. Their staffs are staying off the streets, and others are refusing to come in to replace those rotating out. "We have contractors there doing nothing because of the security situation," says Will Geddes, managing director of the London-based security firm ICP Group Ltd. "There are companies that we're having to hunker down with until we feel comfortable to move them [around]." Even major news organizations are finding it difficult to staff the story: "We just can't find senior correspondents who will come to Iraq now," says the bureau chief for one major American newspaper.

Iraqis suffer most. In the same week the American hostages were taken and killed, at least 300 Iraqis died from terrorist attacks. Some 45 Iraqi translators working for the American military have been killed in Baghdad. The most recent case occurred last Monday, when a woman was gunned down in her car in the afternoon. Terrorists also killed a top official of the state-owned Northern Oil Co. last week, while two moderate Sunni sheiks were kidnapped and killed in Baghdad.

The U.S. military is doing its best to hit back. A week ago a U.S. missile destroyed a car in Baghdad carrying Sheik Abu al-Shawmi, Tawhid and Jihad's spiritual leader, according to the cleric's father. Other airstrikes have targeted suspected Zarqawi safe houses in Fallujah. But none of that has had any noticeable impact on the terrorists' operations. Last Friday six Egyptian employees of the mobile telephone company Iraqna were kidnapped. Analysts talk about the need for a major assault on the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah, but that is said to be unlikely before the U.S. presidential election in November. The last such offensive, in April, resulted in numerous American casualties.

U.S. officials insist the climate of fear has not stalled rebuilding. "It's utterly, utterly untrue that we've abandoned reconstruction," says Col. Jeffrey Phillips, deputy director of the Project and Contracting Office at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad. "I wouldn't say it's put on hold," Phillips said. "I would say certain projects are put on hold, what they call the 'out years,' but we're still pressing ahead with projects closer to hand." Priority is given to projects where security is established. "If you build it up and they blow it up, it doesn't take the two of us to figure out it's counterproductive."

U.S. officials deny speculation that many embassy staffers have been leaving Iraq recently. However, the State Department has had a hard time staffing the embassy in Baghdad, which is only at 50 to 60 percent of authorized strength, one official says, despite pay bonuses of 50 percent and more. "The only thing that will get people there is money," says an official in Washington.

That's what brought James, a young U.S. computer technician, to Iraq 12 months ago. Sitting in a house in Mansour, guarded by two dozen Kurdish guerrillas, or peshmerga, he's now considering his options. As the technical director for an Internet start-up, James provided the expertise that helped his Iraqi partner build the venture into a company employing 70 Iraqis. But now many of their clients have fled, and James is unable to visit others when they have a problem. He hasn't gone out on a service call in a couple of months. His Iraqi staff do his shopping; if he needs a doctor or barber, it's a house call. When he went home for a vacation in August, he was shocked to discover that even walking around the block was exhausting. He now uses a dance videogame to stay in shape.

"I get 10 e-mails a day from friends and family asking, 'Why don't you leave?' says James. The firm's other American expert has done just that. James says that if he evacuates now, the company will probably collapse. "I don't want to leave them in the lurch, but if things stay the way they are, I'll get out by December." That seems a long way off, but he and many other jittery expats sense that things will get worse in Iraq before they get better. And just about everyone is asking himself, Is it worth the risk?

By Rod Nordland, Newsweek International (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6100477/site/newsweek/)

Nbadan
09-26-2004, 05:39 AM
The latest entry from Riverbend, a Baghdad blogger...

Liar, Liar...

I was channel-surfing yesterday evening- trying to find something interesting to watch. I flipped vaguely to Al-Arabia and Bush's inane smile suddenly flashed across the screen. Now, normally, as soon as I see his face, I instantly change channels and try to find something that doesn't make me quite as angry. This time, I stopped to watch as Allawi's pudgy person came into view. It's always quite a scene- Bush with one of the alledged leaders of the New Iraq.

I prepared myself for several minutes of nausea as Bush began speaking. He irritates me like no one else can. Imagine long nails across a chalk board, Styrofoam being rubbed in hands, shrieking babies, barking dogs, grinding teeth, dripping faucets, honking horns – all together, all at once – and you will imagine the impact his voice has on my ears.

I sat listening, trying not to focus too much on his face, but rather on the garbage he was reiterating for at least the thousandth time since the war. I don't usually talk back to the television, but I really can't help myself when Bush is onscreen. I sit there talking back to him- calling him a liar, calling him an idiot, wondering how exactly he got so far and how they're allowing him to run for re-election. E. sat next to me on the couch, peeved, "Why are we even watching this?!" He made a jump for the remote control (which I clutch to shake at the television to emphasize particular points)- a brief struggle ensued and Riverbend came out victorious.

You know things are really going downhill in Iraq, when the Bush speech-writers have to recycle his old speeches. Listening to him yesterday, one might think he was simply copying and pasting bits and pieces from the older stuff. My favorite part was when he claimed, "Electricity has been restored above pre-war levels..." Even E. had to laugh at that one. A few days ago, most of Baghdad was in the dark for over 24 hours and lately, on our better days, we get about 12 hours of electricity. Bush got it wrong (or Allawi explained it to incorrectly)- the electricity is drastically less than pre-war levels, but the electricity BILL is way above pre-war levels. Congratulations Iraqis on THAT!! Our electricity bill was painful last month. Before the war, Iraqis might pay an average of around 5,000 Iraqi Dinars a month for electricity (the equivalent back then of $2.50) - summer or winter. Now, it's quite common to get bills above 70,000 Iraqi Dinars... for half-time electricity.

After Bush finished his piece about the glamorous changes in Iraq, Allawi got his turn. I can't seem to decide what is worse- when Bush speaks in the name of Iraqi people, or when Allawi does. Yesterday's speech was particularly embarrassing. He stood there groveling in front of the congress- thanking them for the war, the occupation and the thousands of Iraqi lives lost... and he did it all on behalf of the Iraqi people. It was infuriating and for maybe the hundredth time this year, I felt rage. Yet another exile thanking the Bush administration for the catastrophe we're trying to cope with. Our politicians are outside of the country 90% of the time (by the way, if anyone has any news of our president Ghazi Ajeel Al Yawir, do let us know- where was he last seen or heard?), the security situation is a joke, the press are shutting down and pulling out and our beloved exiles are painting rosey pictures for the American public- you know- so everyone who voted for Bush can sleep at night.

Allawi actually said "thank you" nine times. Nine times. It really should have been more- at least double that number of Iraqis died yesterday... and about five times that number the day before. Looking back on the last month alone, over 350 Iraqis have been killed either by American air strikes, fighting, or bombs... only 9 thank yous?

The elections are already a standard joke. There's talk of holding elections only in certain places where it will be 'safe' to hold them. One wonders what exactly comprises 'safe' in Iraq today. Does 'safe' mean the provinces that are seeing fewer attacks on American troops? Or does 'safe' mean the areas where the abduction of foreigners isn't occurring? Or could 'safe' mean the areas that *won't* vote for an Islamic republic and *will* vote for Allawi? Who will be allowed to choose these places? Right now, Baghdad is quite unsafe. We see daily abductions, killings, bombings and Al-Sadr City, slums of Baghdad, see air strikes... will they hold elections in Baghdad? Imagine, Bush being allowed to hold elections in 'safe' areas- like Texas and Florida.

The hostage situations are terrible. Everyone is wondering and conjecturing about the Italian hostages. Are they really dead? Is it possible? Seeing the family of the British hostage on TV is quite painful. I wonder if they'll forever hate Iraqis after this. I saw the plea the made on CNN, asking the abductors to be merciful. Dozens of Iraqis are abducted daily and no one really knows who is behind it. Some blame it on certain Islamic groups, others on certain political groups- like Chalabi's, for example. It's hardly shocking, considering our own PM, Allawi, was, by his own admission, responsible for bombings and assassinations inside of Iraq- there is some interesting information here.

For those who haven't read it, you really should. Juan Cole's "If America were Iraq, What would it be Like?".

River Bend Blog (http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_riverbendblog_archive.html#109602421527 384036)