PDA

View Full Version : "The Eight Stupidest Things Sports Fans Love to Say" - GQ.com

Spurs and Mavs fan
03-17-2011, 04:06 PM
http://www.gq.com/sports/lists/201007/fan-fallacies#slide=1

GQ.Com - Article by Nick Ingalls

1. "He doesn't care enough."
Yes, the major professional leagues are brimming with supremely talented individuals who blow their potential because they don't work hard. JaMarcus Russell, for example, might never start another NFL game. That said, there are pro athletes—very successful ones—who take endless jabs from fans because it looks as if they aren't trying, when in fact they're so gifted that they make the game look easy. Like JD Drew, an elite right fielder who's despised by fans in Philadelphia, St. Louis, Atlanta, Los Angeles and now Boston. If only he slammed his helmet after every strikeout, or dove for balls instead of making effortless catches. Randy Moss has uncared his way to an inevitable spot in the Hall of Fame. The hilarious presumption here is that, just by watching on our television, we know what players are thinking, how much they do or do not care, and whether they really too hurt to play.

2. "The Commissioner is out to get us."
The [pick one: MLB / NFL / NBA / NHL / MLS / PGA / ATP / FIFA] commissioner is a power-mad, money-hungry dictator who spends his nights contemplating which teams should be screwed over and which should succeed. Right? He assigns carefully chosen officials to specific games in order to ensure the preordained outcome. He manipulates the league's rules in order to shape his sport as he sees fit, stacking the deck for his sport's superstars. So then… why is it that LeBron James has zero championships and a boring, small market, guaranteed-low- ratings-delivering snore-chise like San Antonio has four titles in the last eleven years? Why does Alex Ovechkin get bounced from the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs while teams that play in North Carolina and central Florida have won in recent years? Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, teams win fair and square?

3. "The refs must have money on the game."
Referees were easy targets long before Tim Donaghy bet on basketball. Any call that goes against a fan's team is, ipso facto, a bad call. Fans vacillate between imploring the refs to "let them play" or "call it even" or "BLOW THE DAMN WHISTLE!" depending on which plots the most favorable course for their team. In other words, referees can't win as long as one team must lose. What fans completely ignore, and what they need to realize, is the fact that referees in all sports have incredibly difficult jobs. Honestly, what makes more sense? That officials of fast-paced, pressure-filled games occasionally blow calls that flummox the rest of us even in super-slo-mo, or that they're using their access for some malevolent purpose?

................................................(m ore, (3# through 8#,), in the link provided)

clambake
03-17-2011, 04:07 PM
9 and 10 are when a fan says "we" or "us".

vy65
03-17-2011, 04:18 PM
pretty shitty bit, especially considering Wojo's recent article on Stern.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-17-2011, 04:24 PM
You know, I've had this lingering thought that we'd be such a better team if RJ cared a little bit more. It's a miracle that we've won our four championships considering that David Stern has had the refs against us for the last 13 years. I really question why we haven't replaced Pop...if he'd play Tiago more, a guy who plays the game the right way, btw, we may not have lost a game this entire season. Man I miss the days of the Bruise Brothers and the Iceman...now THAT was basketball. And if Tim Duncan was only more of an anchor this team could really go places.......................

well, I've seen them all right up until TD. Even the most cynical fan can't argue his impact over the years....WINNER!

clambake
03-17-2011, 05:38 PM
lol we'd

honestfool84
03-17-2011, 05:45 PM
:lol this spells SpursTalk exactly.

20beastie45
03-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Nice Thread!

FeZZy
03-17-2011, 07:24 PM
hahahahahahaa all of you

bitches

Russ
03-17-2011, 07:40 PM
http://www.gq.com/sports/lists/201007/fan-fallacies#slide=1

GQ.Com - Article by Nick Ingalls

1. "He doesn't care enough."
Yes, the major professional leagues are brimming with supremely talented individuals who blow their potential because they don't work hard. JaMarcus Russell, for example, might never start another NFL game. That said, there are pro athletes—very successful ones—who take endless jabs from fans because it looks as if they aren't trying, when in fact they're so gifted that they make the game look easy. Like JD Drew, an elite right fielder who's despised by fans in Philadelphia, St. Louis, Atlanta, Los Angeles and now Boston. If only he slammed his helmet after every strikeout, or dove for balls instead of making effortless catches. Randy Moss has uncared his way to an inevitable spot in the Hall of Fame. The hilarious presumption here is that, just by watching on our television, we know what players are thinking, how much they do or do not care, and whether they really too hurt to play..............................(more, (3# through 8#,), in the link provided)[/I]

He doesn't care enough (I can tell).

2. "The Commissioner is out to get us."
The [pick one: MLB / NFL / NBA / NHL / MLS / PGA / ATP / FIFA] commissioner is a power-mad, money-hungry dictator who spends his nights contemplating which teams should be screwed over and which should succeed. Right? He assigns carefully chosen officials to specific games in order to ensure the preordained outcome. He manipulates the league's rules in order to shape his sport as he sees fit, stacking the deck for his sport's superstars. So then… why is it that LeBron James has zero championships and a boring, small market, guaranteed-low- ratings-delivering snore-chise like San Antonio has four titles in the last eleven years? Why does Alex Ovechkin get bounced from the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs while teams that play in North Carolina and central Florida have won in recent years? Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, teams win fair and square?.............(more, (3# through 8#,), in the link provided)[/I]

The Commissioner is out to get us.

3. "The refs must have money on the game."
Referees were easy targets long before Tim Donaghy bet on basketball. Any call that goes against a fan's team is, ipso facto, a bad call. Fans vacillate between imploring the refs to "let them play" or "call it even" or "BLOW THE DAMN WHISTLE!" depending on which plots the most favorable course for their team. In other words, referees can't win as long as one team must lose. What fans completely ignore, and what they need to realize, is the fact that referees in all sports have incredibly difficult jobs. Honestly, what makes more sense? That officials of fast-paced, pressure-filled games occasionally blow calls that flummox the rest of us even in super-slo-mo, or that they're using their access for some malevolent purpose?.........................(more, (3# through 8#,), in the link provided)[/I]

The refs have money on the game. No doubt about it.

VI_Massive
03-17-2011, 09:32 PM
pretty shitty bit, especially considering Wojo's recent article on Stern.

That piece was fantastic. It's not very long, but every NBA fan should read it. Here's the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-sternnba031511

This guy routinely reports some of the best breaking news and gives some of the best analysis of the league.

He's completely persuasive and compelling about Stern's influence on the league in this column. I have no idea how he's still alive.

gospursgojas
03-17-2011, 11:16 PM
That piece was fantastic. It's not very long, but every NBA fan should read it. Here's the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-sternnba031511

This guy routinely reports some of the best breaking news and gives some of the best analysis of the league.

He's completely persuasive and compelling about Stern's influence on the league in this column. I have no idea how he's still alive.

Great piece.

The only way to combat Stern would to be not to pay for his product. But what am I supposed to do, NOT watch or go to Spurs games?

Its a double edged sword.

Budkin
03-17-2011, 11:22 PM

:lol I always feel like a fucking idiot when I catch myself doing that.

gospursgojas
03-17-2011, 11:39 PM

:lol I always feel like a fucking idiot when I catch myself doing that.

:lol same here....just shows how vested we are in us...er...the team.

GSH
03-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Van Gundy is a whiny, bitchy asshole. And if the league was out to get Dwight Howard, they wouldn't keep rescinding his technical fouls. And if Stan and Dwight think that people are committing flagrant fouls, don't talk about all 593 fouls committed against Howard - give some specifics of flagrants that weren't called. The innuendo shit is weak.

And from what I understand, Stern's door is open, and he returns telephone calls. If Van Gundy thinks there is a problem, he should talk to the man himself, instead of taking it to a reporter. He knows that's going to get him a fine, and he does it anyway. And then he bitches about the fine. Brilliant.

The Clippers owner is scum, and THAT is somehow Stern's fault? I would be willing to bet that Stern has had a word or two for him. But at the end of the day, those things are the reason they have courts. And if the guy goes too far off the reservation, they have a little thing called punitive damages. But that's not for Stern to decide.

Sounds like that reporter has been letting all the little girls whisper bad things in his ear, and then he makes a story out of them. Stern has good and bad points, like most people - and all bosses. I don't think it's quite time to ram a wooden stake through his heart. Half of the players in the league are dumb-shit kids who just became instant millionaires. If Stern didn't keep his thumb down, the thing would get out of control in a heartbeat.

ALVAREZ6
03-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Stern is a pussy

lurker
03-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Saying THEY STACKED just doesn't have the same ring to it, tbh.

Killakobe81
03-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Only losers complain about "we" ... We all know that WE do not play on the teams. WE have no banners, WE have no LOB trophies, WE have no rings.

But when someone says "We stacked" or "we are hot right now" or "I dont see anybody beating us" the "we/us" is about the community of fans who support the team. If people are too dense to get that, and have to point it out constantly (that we dont play) ... THEY are the morons TBH ...

Mugen
03-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Only losers complain about "we" ... We all know that WE do not play on the teams. WE have no banners, WE have no LOB trophies, WE have no rings.

But when someone sayd "We stacked" or "we are hot right now" or "I dont see anybody beating us" the "we/us" is about the community of fans who support the team. If people are too dense to get that, and have to point it out constantly (that we dont play) ... THEY are the morons TBH ...

agreed.

but i do notice that LakerFan say it more often than other fanbases :lol

might just be this board or cuz of their recent championship run. Just sayin tho....

Killakobe81
03-18-2011, 05:50 PM
agreed.

but i do notice that LakerFan say it more often than other fanbases :lol

might just be this board or cuz of their recent championship run. Just sayin tho....

I dont disagree maybe we (LOL) do ...
But for the record to anyone on here ... anytime I say we I realize I have no bearing on the standings, the games or winning titles ...

Whisky Dog
03-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Somewhere on the list of top 10 stupid ass repeated, unoriginal, shitty article ideas is the "top ten bitchfest, insult filled article". These guys even suck at that genre.

jay_shs
03-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Journalist is a dumbass

lefty
03-18-2011, 10:27 PM
9. " We staaaaaaaaaacked "

howbouthemspurs
03-19-2011, 12:05 AM
that was funny

Dingle Barry
03-19-2011, 05:03 AM
All of those are dumb except #8.