PDA

View Full Version : Do players earn extra money during the playoffs?

2centsworth
06-02-2005, 11:07 PM
if so how much?

Obi wan Ginobili
06-02-2005, 11:08 PM
they get bonuses i think...

Plus... the ring has pawn shop value :p

SequSpur
06-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Yes. Each round they get a bonus, but I forget how much.

Their contract is for regular season play only.

exstatic
06-02-2005, 11:57 PM
IIRC, the total bonus for all rounds, per player, for the '99 Spurs was on the order of $250K. The playoffs are about pride, not money. That's not a lot of jack for essentially an additional quarter of a season.

Kori Ellis
06-03-2005, 12:13 AM
It works like this ...

There's a pool of money for the entire NBA. In 2003 it was $8.75 million.

The money is distributed for achievements in both the regular season and the post-season. For example, the team with the best record in the regular season gets a portion. And then on a sliding down scale all the way to the teams with the fifth or sixth best regular season record in each conference. Then for playoffs, the team wins the Title gets a set amount, and then it slides down to all 16 teams who made the postseason.

For example in 2003, the Spurs got $256K for having the best record in the regular season, another $224K for best record in their conference, and about $1.5M for winning the title.

After each team has their set amount of money, they break it down into "shares" and then the players vote and give people on the team (and associated with the team) different amounts of shares and half-shares. For example, the Spurs might vote and decide that Bowen deserves four shares for good D and the trainer deserves 2 1/2 shares for keeping people healthy and so on ...

Chris
06-03-2005, 12:18 AM
I wish my job was like that.