View Full Version : 2011 Draft Prospect: Josh Selby

Bruno
03-17-2011, 04:53 PM
http://www.nbadraftinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Josh_Selby.jpg
Height: 6-2
Weight: 183 lbs
Birthday: 03/27/1991
College: Kansas

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-Selby-5682/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/josh-selby)

ChuckD
03-19-2011, 11:22 AM
A projected SG who is 6'2" and shoots 38%, overall. Riiiight.

Pistons < Spurs
04-05-2011, 08:07 AM
AlexKennedyNBA
Josh Selby will enter the NBA Draft and hire an agent, according to sources. He's currently working out at Impact Basketball in Las Vegas.

admiralsnackbar
04-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Seriously? Declaring?

Dumb move by Selby.

yavozerb
04-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Seriously? Declaring?

Dumb move by Selby.

He will get drafted late in the 1st rd and get a multi year million dollar contract..I could think of alot dumber things.

admiralsnackbar
04-05-2011, 08:43 AM
He will get drafted late in the 1st rd and get a multi year million dollar contract..I could think of alot dumber things.

Dumb is maybe the wrong word? If it's a question of making money vs. making more money, which is the best decision long-term?

Late 1st seems like a stretch, but there aren't as many guards in the draft as usual, so you may be right. I see him getting taken in the 2nd. Either way, the fact that his stroke is underdeveloped and he struggles with NCAA-level defense means he'll be struggling for minutes on a bench for the duration of his rookie contract, and either taking an unimpressive contract in the NBA or fading to the Euroleagues.

Alternatively, he could keep wearing blue for a year (or take his game to Europe if he wants money right away), get some solid court-time to develop his skill to a higher level, work his efficiency up, and for sure get a ticket to the 1st round, more regular PT, and a better 2nd contract.

Pistons < Spurs
04-05-2011, 03:51 PM
@kutheshiver

After further confirmation - According to Selby's mother, Maeshon Witherspoon, Josh is in Vegas but he is only there to work out. He has not declared, hired an agent, and he has not withdrawn from KU, According to his mother.

No decision on his future has been made so until it does all that you hear about him hiring an agent and all of that is just speculation.

baseline bum
04-05-2011, 05:41 PM
I can't see the owners giving up the 4 years indentured servitude clause in the CBA, and no way the NBAPA would allow them to keep it while slashing the guaranteed money for the first two years. If I'm Selby, I come out in this shit draft while people still remember my high school potential and where I'm not stuck competing against an absolutely stacked 2012 draft class.

ChuckD
04-05-2011, 10:15 PM
If I'm Selby, I come out in this shit draft while people still remember my high school potential and where I'm not stuck competing against an absolutely stacked 2012 draft class.
Even though it's counter intuitive, you may be right. A marginal prospect this year may go undrafted next year.

Bruno
06-01-2011, 03:28 PM
He worked out today with Spurs per Matthew Bryan-Amaning:

http://twitter.com/#!/MBALIVE11/status/75996798698786816

spurs777
06-01-2011, 03:31 PM
reportedly has been killing it on the workouts

yavozerb
06-09-2011, 11:51 AM
A projected SG who is 6'2" and shoots 38%, overall. Riiiight.

Seriously? Declaring?

Dumb move by Selby.

Dumb is maybe the wrong word? If it's a question of making money vs. making more money, which is the best decision long-term?

Late 1st seems like a stretch, but there aren't as many guards in the draft as usual, so you may be right. I see him getting taken in the 2nd. Either way, the fact that his stroke is underdeveloped and he struggles with NCAA-level defense means he'll be struggling for minutes on a bench for the duration of his rookie contract, and either taking an unimpressive contract in the NBA or fading to the Euroleagues.

Alternatively, he could keep wearing blue for a year (or take his game to Europe if he wants money right away), get some solid court-time to develop his skill to a higher level, work his efficiency up, and for sure get a ticket to the 1st round, more regular PT, and a better 2nd contract.

Right now in mock drafts this kid is going anywhere from late lotto to late 1st...Doesn't look to dumb of a decesion to turn pro this season after all, does it?

ChuckD
06-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Right now in mock drafts this kid is going anywhere from late lotto to late 1st...Doesn't look to dumb of a decesion to turn pro this season after all, does it?

Monetarily? It doesn't look as bad as it did, but he could still use another year at KU. He may get into one of those Mahinmi situations where he's not good enough to play, and so never develops.

Kids want that guaranteed money, but even 10-15 years ago, half the first rounders were gone after their first contract. It's probably worse than that now. Kids should be ready, not just hungry for that perilous 2 year guarantee.

yavozerb
06-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Monetarily? It doesn't look as bad as it did, but he could still use another year at KU. He may get into one of those Mahinmi situations where he's not good enough to play, and so never develops.

Kids want that guaranteed money, but even 10-15 years ago, half the first rounders were gone after their first contract. It's probably worse than that now. Kids should be ready, not just hungry for that perilous 2 year guarantee.

A agree 100%. The kid actually gambled on a weak draft and I think knew there were few ultra athletes and he would be able to stand out.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-09-2011, 08:47 PM
My question is why are the Spurs looking at him? Don't we have enough potential SGs (Manu, Butler, Anderson, Hill to some degree)...

If he' not available when the Spurs draft in the 2nd round, then he's not really an option I'm thinking.

ChuckD
06-19-2011, 11:30 AM
My question is why are the Spurs looking at him? Don't we have enough potential SGs (Manu, Butler, Anderson, Hill to some degree)...

If he' not available when the Spurs draft in the 2nd round, then he's not really an option I'm thinking.

This guy was #2 in his HS class behind Kyrie rated by a lot of scouting services. That's why you take a look. He's raw, but aren't they all?

baseline bum
06-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Ooops

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 01:34 AM
Was watching the mid-2nd round just to see how far he'd fall.

admiralsnackbar
06-24-2011, 02:44 AM

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll320/snackbar50/american-crow.jpg

k_nguyen93
06-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Spurs should have bought that Hornets pick and gotten this kid as Joseph insurance. Leave one in D League or have them both.

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 02:17 PM
And waste a roster slot?

k_nguyen93
06-24-2011, 02:39 PM
That's true I didn't account for that. Leonard and Joseph have to replace Quinn and Novak. Green might be expendable though with Leonard there. Let him play in D League for awhile.

yavozerb
06-24-2011, 04:54 PM
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll320/snackbar50/american-crow.jpg

Was he not projected in the 1st in some mocks? With that said, I did think he was going to higher than he eventually did, but I think most felt this way..

admiralsnackbar
06-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Was he not projected in the 1st in some mocks? With that said, I did think he was going to higher than he eventually did, but I think most felt this way..

:lol The mocks weren't in question, Selby's decision and your hubris-rich counting of unhatched chickens were. At least I think most felt this way.