PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Devin Brown?

IceColdBrewski
06-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Why the hell was this guy added to the playoff roster if he isn't worth a damn right now?

Can somebody please enlighten me on this. Because I'm really starting to question what the hell Pop was thinking on this one. We coulda added somebody who would've at least been good for a few fouls every game. What the fuck is going on with Brown?

timvp
06-02-2005, 11:48 PM
He's injured.

SequSpur
06-02-2005, 11:49 PM
I am a big Devin Brown fan, but I totally agree with this.

WTF?

IceColdBrewski
06-02-2005, 11:50 PM
He's injured.

Exactly. So why the fuck was he added to the playoff roster when we had a handfull of healthy players that could have at least contribted something?

Kori Ellis
06-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Who would have contributed? Sean Marks? Massenburg barely sees the floor, so Marks wouldn't have. The Spurs were hoping Devin would be better by the late rounds.

timvp
06-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Because it was uknown how long it would take him to recover. Backs are tricky like that. One day Devin will wake up and be fine, but until then it's just a waiting game.

Plus, the Finals is still upcoming. Don't count him out yet.

It would have been dumb to put anyone else on the roster. Who would you have put on?

E20
06-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Who would you have put on?
Micheal Jordan?

IceColdBrewski
06-02-2005, 11:57 PM
The Spurs were hoping Devin would be better by the late rounds.

That's the only possible conclusion that I can come up with as well.

Brown should have just told the team to keep him off the roster from the start. I have to wonder if pride was the determining factor in his decision.

IceColdBrewski
06-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Who would have contributed? Sean Marks?

At least Marks would have been good for a few fouls and a couple of points every now and then. What has Brown done?

timvp
06-03-2005, 12:00 AM
At least Marks would have been good for a few fouls and a couple of points every now and then. What has Brown done?

The Spurs already have Rasho and TMass barely playing. Having Sean Marks behind those two would have made no sense.

If the Spurs need a lift in the upcoming series and Devin has shown to be anywhere near healthy in practice, expect Pop to put him in.

T Park
06-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Yeah

Marks, Wilks or LJ3 would contribute much more.......

WTE

Kori Ellis
06-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Brown should have just told the team to keep him off the roster from the start. I have to wonder if pride was the determining factor in his decision.

He wouldn't have know if he was going to be ready or not -- the doctors couldn't tell either. The Spurs are short in the swing spots, not in the bigs. So the logic was to keep a swingman who might play over a bigman who wouldn't see the court. Like LJ just said, Rasho and TMass are barely seeing the floor now. Marks wouldn't have gotten playing time.

Are you bitching just to bitch?

myhc
06-03-2005, 12:05 AM

So you're saying the 24 fouls between Duncan, Rasho, Rob, and TMass is not enough? To me, the benefit of possibly having a healthy Brown in the later rounds is much greater than the benefit of getting 1 or 2 fouls from the 12th man on the rotation.

T Park
06-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Are you bitching just to bitch?

Doesn't he usually??

Oh yeah, hes a "True" fan.

LuvBones
06-03-2005, 12:14 AM
Doesn't he usually??

Oh yeah, hes a "True" fan.

:lmao

SpurYank
06-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Re What's up with Devin Brown?

What is it about you Spurs fans that makes you question every decision Pop makes about our Spurs? Be content he's brought us a winner.

Devin has already played in the playoffs and it appears to me he hasn't played more minutes because Brent has more potential to score.

fraga
06-03-2005, 09:44 AM
I think he's fine and healthy by now...I think Pop just isn't giving him really any playing time...along with a bunch of other players...like Rasho...Robinson...Mass...they're getting limited time at best...

spur219
06-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Devin Brown is still hurt. The Spurs thought that he would be healthy come mid playoff time but he hasn't. His injury is very sensitive and I feel sorry for Brown because he won't get paid like he really should. Which really increases his chances of him staying in San Antonio.

ObiwanGinobili
06-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Is it true he still can't push off his right leg ??
poor devin... i really hoped he doesn;t get flogged in the off season.

fraga
06-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Still hurt??? I could've sworn I saw him play once in the playoffs...he looked fine to me...

ObiwanGinobili
06-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Still hurt??? I could've sworn I saw him play once in the playoffs...he looked fine to me...

I think that was a little test.

SWC Bonfire
06-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Devin Brown is still hurt. The Spurs thought that he would be healthy come mid playoff time but he hasn't. His injury is very sensitive and I feel sorry for Brown because he won't get paid like he really should. Which really increases his chances of him staying in San Antonio.

Does the current/will the future CBA require that he be given a guaranteed contract for a given length of time? He signed on as a free agent, right?

Will the spurs give him a 1yr contract, or do they lock him up for a while for cheap$$$?

ObiwanGinobili
06-03-2005, 10:13 AM
money wise we need ot pay everyone as littel as we can get away with....
but thinking with the herart I'd gove Devin more $$.
Still , I wouldn't spit on the 600k he got this year if you laid it at my door.

boutons
06-03-2005, 10:27 AM
"Devin Brown is still hurt."

who said? is he still having back pain and cramps?

All I've heard Pop say is that Devin's hasn't recovered from the atrophy, ie, his leg muscles have not gotten back to 100% strength.

BigVee
06-03-2005, 10:49 AM
If he was ready, he would have played plenty against the Suns. Obviously he is not able to play.

SWC Bonfire
06-03-2005, 10:55 AM
"Devin Brown is still hurt."

who said? is he still having back pain and cramps?

All I've heard Pop say is that Devin's hasn't recovered from the atrophy, ie, his leg muscles have not gotten back to 100% strength.

Not using your legs for a while SERIOUSLY causes your muscles to atrophy. I didn't even think of this. If that is the case, he won't be back in full trim 'till next year.

On the plus side, the "break" that your muscles get can allow you to build them up larger and stronger than you could before. Some people do it artificially (bodybuilders, mostly) to get the long-term benefits.

beirmeistr
06-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Not using your legs for a while SERIOUSLY causes your muscles to atrophy. I didn't even think of this. If that is the case, he won't be back in full trim 'till next year.

On the plus side, the "break" that your muscles get can allow you to build them up larger and stronger than you could before. Some people do it artificially (bodybuilders, mostly) to get the long-term benefits.
If that's the case, then Sean Marks must be in a wheelchair. lol
Sorry, Marks fans, the devil made me do it.

boutons
06-03-2005, 11:34 AM
"Not using your legs for a while SERIOUSLY causes your muscles to atrophy."

and it appears they atrophy a lot faster than you can restore them, esp when you're older and it appears to be true even of a muscular, young specimen like Devin. His leg is taking a lot longer to come back than the amt of time he was acutally incapacitated.

polandprzem
06-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Exactly. So why the fuck was he added to the playoff roster when we had a handfull of healthy players that could have at least contribted something?
Pop took a chance.
Wait one more round

ps. Mike Wilks the Spurs Jordan

Vashner
06-03-2005, 12:35 PM
With disk disease either 1. He will recover... 2. His career is over.

Now the good thing is that NBA benefits are so good if he manages his money right
he can retired young and enjoy life with a limp... as his worst case.

Pop was told by his back Dr. that he MIGHT make a full recovery. We will find out next season... unless he's released.

sa_butta
06-08-2005, 01:58 PM
After watching Devin Brown practice the past week, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich doesn't sound ready to throw the guard back into the regular rotation.

But he also wouldn't rule out Brown playing in the NBA Finals.

Brown has spent much of the past three months trying to overcome a back injury that also weakened his right leg. He has yet to regain his explosiveness.

"I see a rare sparkle here and there," Popovich said. "I'm still reticent to pull the trigger and get him on the floor, but in this series we may be forced to do that."

Before getting hurt, Brown had become one of the Spurs' most dependable reserves. With the problems Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince present on the perimeter, the Spurs might need Brown's defense for short stretches.

Brown didn't play in the Western Conference finals. He has appeared in six of the Spurs' 16 playoff games, averaging 4.2 minutes.

Brown initially injured his back while shooting before the Spurs played Detroit on March 20. He scored 18 points against the Pistons but aggravated the injury the next night in New York.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Pop was told by his back Dr. that he MIGHT make a full recovery.

Actually Pop said that he was assured by the doctor(s) that he'd be good as new when (not if) he gets better.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 02:12 PM
I think that Devin will see short (but often) stretches of playing time this series.

spur219
06-08-2005, 02:32 PM
So will this injury hurt Devin's new contract talks. I hope he remains a Spur though.

TMSKILZ
06-08-2005, 02:49 PM
I like DBrown, kid has serious upside to his game. I hope he recovers 100% from this & we're able to lock him up long term for less $ than he would have commanded/earned in the open market had he remained healthy.

bigzak25
06-08-2005, 03:32 PM
i've jinxed every spur in my signature.....malik was traded, TD got hurt, and now who's the only questionable Spur...good ol dev. i'm tired of giving him the bad karma. I'll remove him for his own good. Get well Dev...and get in the game!

Guru of Nothing
06-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Express News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA060805.devinbrown.en.2f511220c.html)

Web Posted: 06/08/2005 03:30 PM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

Devin Brown, the Spurs’ only San Antonio native, says his many friends in town know better than to ask him for tickets to the NBA Finals.

“I’ve got them trained,” Brown said with a laugh. “Nobody’s really harassing me right now. They know Mom comes first.”

Brown, a graduate of West Campus and a former UTSA standout, said reaching the Finals is a dream come true.

The Spurs face the Eastern Conference-champion Detroit Pistons in Game 1 of the best-of-seven series Thursday night at the SBC Center.

“It’s something I can’t believe right now,” Brown said. “Maybe it will sink in five or 10 years from now when I look back at it and say I went to high school here, played college here and played for an NBA championship with my hometown team.

“But I can’t look at it that way right now. We need to get four games.”

Brown said he hopes to get some minutes even though he has a herniated disc in his lower back, an injury that has robbed him of much of his strength in his right leg.

“The long layoff after we wrapped up the Phoenix series was a bonus for me,” Brown said.

“I was cheering for the (Detroit-Miami showdown in the Eastern Conference Finals) to keep going, so I could get my leg together,” Brown added. “Now, I’m good. I’m ready to go, looking forward to some good minutes tomorrow.”

Brown said other Spurs also benefited from the break.

“It was good for guys like Tim (Duncan), guys like Manu (Ginobili), guys like Tony (Parker), Bruce (Bowen) and Brent (Barry), guys that have played a lot of minutes (in the playoffs). Seattle was an up-and-down series, Denver was an up-and-down series and Phoenix was an up-and-down series. Those days off will prepare those guys for the grind-it-out series with Detroit.”

Brown said he is proud to represent UTSA in the Finals.

“They have treated me well and with a lot of respect, so I’m trying to help them out,” Brown said of the Roadrunners.

TMSKILZ
06-08-2005, 05:40 PM
He's good to go? That's awesome news man, we'll definitely need him in this series off the bench!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is huge!

bigzak25
06-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Brown added. “Now, I’m good. I’m ready to go, looking forward to some good minutes tomorrow.”

yeah!!! i fuckin did it! broke the jinx baby... :smokin

TMSKILZ
06-08-2005, 05:50 PM
LOL, thanks Bigzak!

picnroll
06-08-2005, 05:54 PM
yeah!!! i fuckin did it! broke the jinx baby... :smokin
So post Rasheed, Rip and Billups in your sig.

timvp
06-11-2005, 03:43 AM
Spurs notebook: Brown strives for reckless perfection
San Antonio Express-News

Spurs backup shooting guard Devin Brown said he worked hard to convince coach Gregg Popovich of his sound conditioning level and regenerated explosiveness over the team's eight-day layoff after winning the Western Conference finals.

He must have succeeded, at least a little bit, because Popovich called on him in the first half of Game 1, playing him six minutes.

"I just wanted to let him know I was there, and I can go in and still get some things done," said Brown, who missed the final 14 games of the regular season with a disc injury in his lower back.

"I was ready," Brown said. "A couple guys picked up some fouls early and I got a chance. I have to try to get my rhythm back. You don't want to mess up or you're going to be back, sitting next to Pop again. The way I play, I have to be reckless, and perfect, at the same time."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA061105.5S.BKNspurs.notebook.300ed5508.html

Sounds like he's getting better little by little.

Sense
06-11-2005, 04:05 AM
Devin's fine....

Shhh..

AFE7FATMAN
06-11-2005, 04:11 AM
I like Devin however I think he will get a one year contract or move on.