PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Defense: WCF.

Duff McCartney
06-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Okay...I am having an arguement with some guy on another message board. He says that Amare is a stud and he's gonna be a superstar. I agree with him on that, but the thing I don't agree with him on is that Amare abused Tim Duncan.

I agree that Amare had his moments against Tim, as did Tim against Amare. But I believe that the defensive game plan for the Spurs was to let Amare and Nash get theirs but contain everybody else.

I think the proof is in the pudding; Richardson did nothing, Marion did nothing, the Phoenix bench, what little there was, did nothing.

What do you think?

PM5K
06-03-2005, 12:24 AM
That's what I've said all along. You also have to understand that Tim does it on both ends so that makes things more difficult. He also wasn't the only player that guarded him...

T Park
06-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Uh yeah.

Hence the reasons Richardson and Marion went for a whopping 8 points and 12 boards combined in game 5.

That was the plan, let Amare and Nash get theirs, shut everyone else down.

Dre_7
06-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Its ralot easier for Amare to play great offensively when he doesnt play any D. Tim has to use energy on both ends, not just offensively, unlike Amare.

But, whatever, I could care less about Amare. 4-1
Finals baby!! Bring on the Heat or Pistons! Let Amare have his 30+ ppg against SA. Timmy will be just fine when he has his 3rd Finals MVP!

boutons
06-03-2005, 01:08 AM
I don't get the impression that Amare's lacking in energy or running his tank anywhere near emtpy. His monstrous offensive power would not be sapped by Amare RBing and playing defense at the same level as his offense.

Obstructed_View
06-03-2005, 03:34 AM
As much as I want to mention that Duncan is still playing on two bad ankles I won't.

Here's my SAS "bottom line": Amare's an awesome player. He's also watching the finals from home.

wildbill2u
06-03-2005, 02:18 PM
I suppose you might wonder about how TD would have done in scoring in the series if he hadn't been double-teamed. If Amare had guarded him one-on-one, he might have foulded out of every game.

Also, We didn't double-team Amare.

red kryptonite
06-03-2005, 02:22 PM
I can see it both ways. Amare is the newest wave of physical impossibility. He's like a David or Shaq.

I think he did torch Duncan, but then again there's the points mentioned above.

BigVee
06-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Typical of most fans they put too much emphasis on points scored. TD is so much a better player it isn't close. Forget the defense and rebounding, which he is clearly much better, he is also a much better offensive player. Amare takes care of Amare, plain and simple. He is a gifted athlete and explosive scorer. Tim makes his team much better offensively. He get them wide open shots, constantly looks for them, kicks out at the right moment, etc, etc, etc. I laugh when I here how Amare dominated TD.....simply bullshit, and a lack of understanding of how you play winnng basketball.

pache100
06-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Amare is a stud and he's gonna be a superstar.

This is Amare's third season in the league...no signs of "superstar" greatness yet. Don't you think he'd be more important than he is now? He's got ONE really good move, that little twisting hook shot. That's all he can do in the paint, except dunk and shoot free throws when he gets the opportunity to do either. He has one or two defensive moves, but the only reason that looks good is that none of his teammates have a clue how DEFENSE is spelled, much less what it is or how to do it. And he stood under the basket at the opening of the series, along with Steve Nash and the other Suns, and WATCHED Tony Parker run down the lane and lay up the ball. Stunned. No idea how to stop him.

I'm not impressed. Superstar? Don't think so.

kskonn
06-03-2005, 02:35 PM
If I recall Tim did not guard amare most of the time. It was usually horry and nazr. Tim did guard him down the stretch. On more than one occasion he shut him down on key possessions. With block, steals or forrcing bad shots.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-03-2005, 03:21 PM
4 games to 1.

The Spurs played enough D to win in 5, so who gives a flip about Amare's stats.

If he scored 60 a game and the Spurs won in 5 games then their gameplan worked.

Scoreboard baby!

Spurodamus
06-03-2005, 03:25 PM
http://members.aol.com/blackrose3000/images/negrodamus.jpg

As a wise man once said, "if pop when shooters go so was cia".

Sense
06-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Pop said that's what they planned to do..

He said amare was gonna get his points but as long as they won it wouldn't matter.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Amare didn't "dominate" or "abuse" or do anything else. Stoudemire wasn't being guarded by Duncan for much of the series. And when Duncan was guarding him he was in a fair amount of foul trouble. He played the entire half with four fouls in game 5 so most of those hightlight dunks that he blew past Tim for were instances where Tim was to some extent letting him rather than risking a fifth foul. And I know I'm not the only one who thought he was getting away with murder under his own rim. At least three times a game he did that bullshit where he'd get the ball under the rim and then downright shove Nazr, Bob, Tim, or in one case Parker (who then got whistled for a foul. How dare he throw himself in front of Amare's arms while he was stretching them!) Apparently the ref's felt that since he had "Black Jesus" on his neck they should treat him like the second coming of Christ. If that works I'm going to tatoo "not a violent criminal" on my neck and start robbing banks.

Did Stoudemire do well? Certainly. You can't discount a point average like that as a fluke. But the bottom line of all of it was that Tim beat him on both ends of the court in the clutch. Stoudemire is going to be a great player someday, but he's still got a ways to go.

nkdlunch
06-03-2005, 03:35 PM
In this series:

------ points -- rebs -- blks -- assts
Amare: 37 ----- 9.8 --- 1.6 --- 1.4
Duncan: 27.4 -- 13.8 -- 1.8 -- 3.2

besides ppg, Duncan owned him in the stats

CosmicCowboy
06-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Thats great logic guys. Spurs concede that they aren't gonna be able to keep him from scoring and concentrate on shutting down the perimeter players...ergo...he sucks because the Spurs didn't "try" to stop him. Right... :rolleyes

TwoHandJam
06-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Thats great logic guys. Spurs concede that they aren't gonna be able to keep him from scoring and concentrate on shutting down the perimeter players...ergo...he sucks because the Spurs didn't "try" to stop him. Right... :rolleyes
Amare doesn't suck but he certainly didn't "abuse" Tim which is the premise of this thread.

MannyIsGod
06-03-2005, 04:09 PM
This is Amare's third season in the league...no signs of "superstar" greatness yet. Don't you think he'd be more important than he is now? He's got ONE really good move, that little twisting hook shot. That's all he can do in the paint, except dunk and shoot free throws when he gets the opportunity to do either. He has one or two defensive moves, but the only reason that looks good is that none of his teammates have a clue how DEFENSE is spelled, much less what it is or how to do it. And he stood under the basket at the opening of the series, along with Steve Nash and the other Suns, and WATCHED Tony Parker run down the lane and lay up the ball. Stunned. No idea how to stop him.

I'm not impressed. Superstar? Don't think so.
You also have to take into consideration that he's also only 22 or so years old. The guy came straight out of HS.

You'd have to be a fool to not see superstar tatooed all over this guy. Or maybe it was black Jesus? Who knows.

Xolotl
06-03-2005, 04:11 PM
You also have to take into consideration that he's also only 22 or so years old. The guy came straight out of HS.

You'd have to be a fool to not see superstar tatooed all over this guy. Or maybe it was black Jesus? Who knows.

Think they'll take Rasho for him :lol

GoSpurs21
06-03-2005, 04:12 PM
not to mention Tim playing on two bad ankles