PDA

View Full Version : SI quotes GQ - LAL fans worst in country, and LAL Times fires back

Rummpd
03-18-2011, 12:01 PM
If there was any such exercise that’s the equivalent of throwing red meat to the masses to devour, this would be the perfect item. Sure, there are plenty of Laker stories that cause division and uprising. There’s an Andrew Bynum injury, questioning of Kobe Bryant’s shot selection, debating the Lakers’ all-time greatest players, Luke Walton’s contract and any praise for the Boston Celtics or Miami Heat. But this one surpasses them all — questioning the Lakers’ fanhood. The latest issue of GQ Magazine ranks the top 15 worst sports fans in the country and to no one’s surprise, Lakers fans are on that list. … “I think they’re accustomed to success,” [Phil] Jackson said in amusement about the rankings. “That’s kind of a natural reaction when you have a lot of success. People enjoy the show rather than feeling they have to encourage the team in an element of fanatacism.” But by no means are Lakers fans simply star-gazers [OK, GQ put it a little less delicately]. That’s all part of the show of course. There’s no atmosphere that can duplicate Laker games, where you’ll see Jeanie Buss allowing Justin Bieber to wear Jackson’s championship ring, Ron Artest chatting up Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg courtside about a possible collaboration and Dustin Hoffman appearing in every Kiss Cam segment. But to pin Laker fans as mindless celebrity-crazed socialites is simply wrong on every level.
http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/03/18/the-opening-tip-friday-mar-18/

The fans outside are hardcore," Artest said. "I'll tell you how they're different. You go into any neighborhood outside of Staples Center and talk about the Lakers. If you're not good, they'll show you how passionate they are."

So what's happened, Ron?

"No I'm not going to say nothing."

OK, fair enough. But I will. GQ can rank Lakers fans as one of the worst fanbases in sports. But nowhere will you meet fans of all various walks of life as equally passionate about their favorite team, whether it's at a Hollywood red-carpet event, a five-star restaurant, a mom-and-pop store or your next-door neighborhood. I'm not expressing this sentiment as a Lakers fan, but as one who interacts with them on a daily basis. For that, I can't thank you enough.

--Mark Medina

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/03/gq-includes-laker-fans-among-the-worst-sports-fans.html?cid=6a00d8341c506253ef014e5ff0c583970c

[Personally most LAL fans are wonderful, faithful and committed to their team, albeit backing they are backing the wrong horse of course this year despite the recent "make up beat down" of the Spurs!:flag:]

dbestpro
03-18-2011, 12:15 PM
I usually don't ask this, but in what way does this relate to the Spurs?

Rummpd
03-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Fair point but LAL is certainly SAS's biggest threat to the title IMO and i for one enjoy healthy discussions with most LAL fans who actually have been very loyal to their team (some from before the acquisition of Gasol) and in general know their basketball, and give a healthy respect to the Spurs, their fans and the Spurs championship proven cred.

15 and counting
03-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Fair point but LAL is certainly SAS's biggest threat to the title IMO and i for one enjoy healthy discussions with most LAL fans who actually have been very loyal to their team (some from before the acquisition of Gasol) and in general know their basketball, and give a healthy respect to the Spurs, their fans and the Spurs championship proven cred.

And SA is LA only obsticle in my opinion. I think the winner between these two will win it all. I also do not buy into this "LA are the worst fans". They are the most spoiled by far. If they are shitty, everyone jumps ship because they have been spoiled. They have not endured too many hardships in the past with losing records.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-18-2011, 01:34 PM
And SA is LA only obsticle in my opinion. I think the winner between these two will win it all. I also do not buy into this "LA are the worst fans". They are the most spoiled by far. If they are shitty, everyone jumps ship because they have been spoiled. They have not endured too many hardships in the past with losing records.

I once got hit in the obsticles...it hurt like hell!

gameFACE
03-18-2011, 02:20 PM
"I think over here they don't understand in L.A. they have fans with swag," Artest said. "We be laid back. We got our shades on. We got our Grey Poupon. I know some fans who travel with Grey Poupon. How many fans do you know who have Grey Poupon? They're on the front row on the floor with Grey Poupon with nice silverware, just in case they want to get a slice of steak or some caviar. We got caviar at Staples Center. We got ladies dancing. We got swag."

:lol

spurs10
03-18-2011, 02:41 PM
My obsticles are hurting just reading this!

Thompson
03-18-2011, 07:30 PM
When they lose, they like to riot, vandalize/burn cars, and loot their city.

When they win, they like to riot, vandalize/burn cars, and loot their city.

Is there really any doubt they're the worst?

KaiRMD1
03-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Knick fans are the worst because for a whole decade, they were laker fans. *rim shot*

poop
03-18-2011, 11:28 PM
in some 17 years of following the nba, LA fans are the only ones ive ever seen who will actually boo their own players, and who will (in the case of the Clippers) go to games and actively root against their own home team.

speaks volumes i think.

ChuckD
03-19-2011, 09:37 AM
From Magic to Shaq, you couldn't find a Laker fan, and from Shaq to Gasol, you couldn't find one, either. There are like 100,000,000 when they are winning, and like 236 when they're not. They have to put like special springs on the bandwagon, both to support the crowd during boom times, and so that it doesn't actually achieve orbit when everyone simultaneously jumps off in bust times.

Wilford Brimley
03-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Ron Artest should be in a cage on exhibit

Giuseppe
03-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Defending one's fandom is vulgar & unsightly.

I won't do it. I'm better than that. A damn sight better.

It's my religion.

Mark in Austin
03-19-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm sure true Lakerfans in LA are different than the bandwagon front running douchebags that show up in other towns talking shit when LA is on top but then disappear when the team is melting down.

Mr. Body
03-19-2011, 11:43 AM
The crowds during the All-Star game in LA this year were horrendous. The people there are simply not basketball fans. They don't like the game, they don't care. They just want to be seen.

Harry Callahan
03-19-2011, 12:58 PM
In the GQ article, Cowboy fans get slammed for creating a large fanbase for a team that doesn't win a lot of playoff games.

They also got slammed for being front runners when Aikman, Emmitt, and Irvin were playing.

I would say the Cowboys have a great fan base to show up in recent years with just an above average team.

The Lakers would not continue to get sell outs if they had had the same lack of playoff success.