PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs successful at waiting game

Kori Ellis
06-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Spurs successful at waiting game
Web Posted: 06/03/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA060305.1D.BKNspurs.main.2d75f581c.html

About 20 minutes had passed since the Spurs, hugging each other and laughing, skipped off the floor at America West Arena on Wednesday night. The players had pulled on their ready-made Western Conference champions T-shirts and hats, smiled for the cameras and accepted their trophy before taking the party to the privacy of their locker room.

The team's brief celebration was just starting to break up as coach Gregg Popovich met the media. As elated as Popovich was to be taking the Spurs to their third NBA Finals in seven years, he was equally relieved to be rid of the Phoenix Suns.

"I'm just very happy," Popovich said, "we don't have to play those guys again."

The Spurs will have plenty of time to prepare for their next challenge. The Finals won't begin until Thursday, giving the team seven days to rest, heal, practice and, quite possibly, grow bored.

With Detroit and Miami still battling for the Eastern Conference title, the Spurs won't even know their opponent until Saturday, at the earliest.

"I won't obsess over it because it is what it is," Popovich said of the wait. "We'll just figure out how to keep these guys in shape, how to stay sharp and do the best job we can.

"And when Detroit or Miami come along, we will find out if we were successful at doing it."

Whether they face the Pistons or the Heat, the Spurs doubt the Finals will be played in the same free-flowing style as their series against Phoenix. The Pistons finished the season second to the Spurs in scoring defense. During the playoffs, the Heat have held their opponents to 41.2 percent shooting.

The Spurs won't completely abandon their up-tempo ways but likely will be forced into more of a halfcourt game.

"I think our guys are more suited for that overall," Popovich said, when asked if the team would have to adjust to a grind-it-out game in the Finals. "We sort of have a split personality because of the personnel on our team.

"We'll play the same way. We'll try to push it. If we don't have it, we will try to get something decent in the half court. But Detroit and Miami do that, too ... Teams are a little bit more multifaceted than you might guess."

Until then, the Spurs will try to keep some momentum they have picked up the past month.

Popovich and his staff have experience managing a lengthy layoff. The Spurs had a nine-day break before starting the 1999 NBA Finals. Two years ago, they had five days off after beating Dallas in the conference finals.

Even last season, they waited six days between the first and second rounds.

The Spurs, however, have reason to welcome their current break. Neither of Tim Duncan's ankles has completely healed. Manu Ginobili, to no surprise, is bruised and needs time to re-energize. Tony Parker also has been playing with tendinitis in his left knee.

"I would love a little shorter time," Duncan said, "but you can't beat (the layoff)."

In addition, the break allows Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo, if needed, to meet again with Minnesota officials about the Timberwolves' head-coaching vacancy. Danny Ferry, the Spurs' director of basketball operations, also has been in discussions with Cleveland about becoming the Cavaliers' general manager.

Carlesimo and fellow assistant Mike Budenholzer might even need the time to expand their own families. Each coach's wife is expecting a baby soon.

After taking Thursday and today off, the team will meet Saturday. In past layoffs, the Spurs have varied the intensity and length of their workouts in an effort to stay focused but not burn out.

"Just knowing the guys we have on this team, between Robert (Horry) and the other guys who have been there before — and certainly Pop — the rest of us will just fall in line behind them," Brent Barry said. "Whether (the layoff) is good or bad, I don't know. But these guys will know how to handle it and find a way to keep us sharp."

Horry will be playing in his sixth Finals, having won the previous five. Duncan will be in his third. Ginobili, Parker and Bruce Bowen will be in their second.

Of the other seven players on the playoff roster, only Glenn Robinson had advanced even as far as the conference finals before this season. All of them, however, have learned enough to know one thing.

"We're not satisfied with just winning the West," Barry said. "As great as that is, there's a greater goal ahead of us."

Chief
06-03-2005, 01:24 AM
I know it's a long layoff.
but I'm just uncomfortable knowing that P.J. is already meeting with Minnesota about their head coaching vacancy. Can't it wait until after the finals ?

i know he's just an assistant but it would be ideal to have every member of the organization to have the spurs taking up 100% of their mind.

Chris
06-03-2005, 01:28 AM
I think right now is a good time to meet with Minnesota considering the Spurs are going to get some rest. And at the same time it was a positive thing for P.J. which reflects on the rest of the club as well. I'm sure most of the players and coaches are proud of P.J.

Kori Ellis
06-03-2005, 01:31 AM
Supposedly Kevin Garnett wants Silas there and not PJ.

Tek_XX
06-03-2005, 01:35 AM
Do ya'll think PJ will get hired?

Chris
06-03-2005, 01:39 AM
Considering K.G doesn't want PJ there I would have to say no. The owner will not risk any loss of chemistry between his star player and the coach.

cqsallie
06-03-2005, 01:47 AM
Supposedly Kevin Garnett wants Silas there and not PJ.
We have Mike Brown as the new coach of the CCs, what about Larry Brown as president? I caught an interview with the Cav's owner today, during which he said no offer is on the table, but that LBrown might be interested if medical examinations this summer prohibit his continuing as a coach. Of course, there's always the chance that he'll continue with the Pistons.
I really and truly hate to see PJ go anywhere at all, but who am I to stand in the way of his progress? It's always painful to face a former beloved coach's team. I think PJ would be superb heading up the Timberwolves, but before you know it, the whole NBA will be composed of think-alike coaches - spawns of Larry Brown and Greg Popovich, with only one thing on their minds - Defense :depressed

Chris
06-03-2005, 01:56 AM
Defense wins Championships. Pick any sport. You saw what happened to Phoenix's run and gun style. It got pwned. P.J. is lucky because he apprenticed one of the greatest coaches in history - Gregg Popovich.

wildbill2u
06-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Defense wins Championships. Pick any sport. You saw what happened to Phoenix's run and gun style. It got pwned. P.J. is lucky because he apprenticed one of the greatest coaches in history - Gregg Popovich.

Sports franchises always raid the assistant coaches of successful teams, hoping that some of the 'corporate knowledge' that Pop always talks about will come to their club.

clubalien
06-03-2005, 02:27 PM

if he said it as those guys are really good i woudl hate to play them again because they are good

but him saying

he is dissing them is pop a racistist? is it because phonex has black players, is he calling suns cry babies
spurs shoudl be a respectable honorable team therefore we shoudl fire pop :D

Dingle Barry
06-03-2005, 03:53 PM
clubalien: Leave. Or seek help. Preferably both.