PDA

View Full Version : sprinting vs jogging

Blake
03-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Ive read and heard different things as to which is better if you were to pick one.

anyone here have any experience on the subject?

balli
03-18-2011, 10:22 PM
HIIT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

lefty
03-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Well, it depends on what your goal is...

Blake
03-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Well, it depends on what your goal is...

I'd like to lose a few pounds and get back to being a bit more toned.

AnthonyM
03-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Definitely jogging then. Sprinting is really more used for training purposes. If you're just trying to lose weight recreationally, jogging is the way to go.

Plus, you can jog for 45 minutes to an hour at a time. Sprinting is for short periods. Just make sure that you're actually jogging effectively and not for only like 10 minutes a day and you'll start seeing results.

Edit: What balli posted is also effective. Interval training will help too, though I would still recommend jogging for the recreational user.

Blake
03-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Definitely jogging then. Sprinting is really more used for training purposes. If you're just trying to lose weight recreationally, jogging is the way to go.

Plus, you can jog for 45 minutes to an hour at a time. Sprinting is for short periods. Just make sure that you're actually jogging effectively and not for only like 10 minutes a day and you'll start seeing results.

Every long distance runner I know looks malnourished, imo.

This is probably not true, but I don't know many (actually any) buff marathon runners.

AnthonyM
03-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Every long distance runner I know looks malnourished, imo.

This is probably not true, but I don't know many (actually any) buff marathon runners.

Well, sprinting won't really make you buff either without any added workout. If you want to get more toned, you'll have to try some strength training exercises. If you have any access to a weight machine or bench, 30 minutes a day would help you become toned. Or if you don't have either, the simple pushups and situps will help with that. Of course, it goes without saying that you need to make sure you eat right too.

GoodOdor
03-21-2011, 04:06 PM
both suck. Just find a sport you love and play it.

Chachachango
03-21-2011, 04:31 PM
I jogg but mix in some sprinting towards the end of my run.

Rip-Hamilton32
03-21-2011, 04:36 PM
run stairs, i run about 10 kms a day and then i run 3-5 sets of stairs that has 520 steps its great for cardio and has helped me become more tone, although most people struggle with stairs

CavsSuperFan
03-21-2011, 04:38 PM
A 400 lb man just finished the LA marathon in 9 ½ hours…

Chachachango
03-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Lol 9 fucking hours. I feel bad for those working the marathon.

Cane
03-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Imo you don't have to choose either sprinting or jogging. Running is better when you mix it up otherwise it can get pretty boring and hard to keep up with. Some days run for speed, some days run for time, others distance, run with others, uphill, new routes, etc.

Work our your core muscles, be consistent, yada yada. If you really want to look toned its going to require a good diet and high activity level.

ManuBalboa
03-21-2011, 07:15 PM
It's a huge debate. Most people have jumped onto the 15-20 min HITT wagon as a better option to burn fat. I'm still in the 45-60 min nonstop jog camp 4-5x a week right before bed. This allows you to burn off all the carbs in your body and go to bed on an empty stomach (other than protein). This could be broscience though. Don't run for 45-60mins directly after lifting weights though. As long as your pre/post workout meals are well thought out you should not lose muscle.

HITT is brutal. Especially sprinting. I try to throw that in about once a week.

ashbeeigh
03-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Imo you don't have to choose either sprinting or jogging. Running is better when you mix it up otherwise it can get pretty boring and hard to keep up with. Some days run for speed, some days run for time, others distance, run with others, uphill, new routes, etc.

Work our your core muscles, be consistent, yada yada. If you really want to look toned its going to require a good diet and high activity level.

This is good advice. I've only been running for the past few months and am a self professed schedule-aholic. I love the routine of running in the exact same place at the exact same place, but am now starting to get bored with it. For those people that get bored easily it's great way to mix things up. But if you're not used to it It can hurt.

This allows you to burn off all the carbs in your body and go to bed on an empty stomach (other than protein). This could be broscience though. Don't run for 45-60mins directly after lifting weights though. As long as your pre/post workout meals are well thought out you should not lose muscle.

I think that logic is counter intuitive. It's like the Atkins diet. You're basically going into starvation mode if you don't eat good stuff (carbs and protein) you'll lose the muscle you just built up (or worked out if you are trying to lose weight). I run in the afternoon or early evening and eat a banana or granola bar and have been able to lose 10 pounds. Here's the info:

After running, especially a long run, you want to replenish energy as quickly as possible. Studies have shown that muscles are most receptive to rebuilding glycogen (stored glucose) stores within the first 30 minutes after exercise. If you eat soon after your workout, you can minimize muscle stiffness and soreness.

You'll want to consume primarily carbs, but don't ignore protein. A good rule of thumb for post-run food is a ratio of 1 gram of protein to 3 grams of carbs. Nutrition bars, such as Clif bars or Power bars, are healthy options. Other examples would be a bagel with peanut butter or a smoothie made with fruit and yogurt.

If you feel like you can't stomach solid food immediately after a run, try drinking some chocolate milk. Chocolate milk provides plenty of protein, carbohydrates and B vitamins —- making it a great recovery drink. And cold chocolate milk tastes pretty refreshing after a run.

http://running.about.com/od/nutritionandhydration/f/postruneating.htm

mavsfan1000
03-21-2011, 07:58 PM
HIIT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training
:tu But be ready to take a pounding. If you are slightly injured or have tendinitis, stay away.

DMX7
03-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Lift weights too. Even if you're not trying to bulk up, it's good for burning calories and toning.

NealwithIt
03-21-2011, 09:27 PM
If you want a killer workout try p90x plyometrics.

The Reckoning
03-21-2011, 09:43 PM
it depends how much time you have. if you dont have much, go to the track and run 10 100 meter dashes. make sure to hit the gym and do some lunges before hand so you dont pull anything.

when running the dashes, run a 25 yards 3/4 speed, then next 25 full speed, then the next 25 3/4 speed, and finish out the dash in full speed.

imo, its amazing what an hour workout 3 times a week can do for you.