PDA

View Full Version : Good sports help make sports good

Kori Ellis
06-03-2005, 02:57 AM
Good sports help make sports good
By JOHN P. LOPEZ
Houston Chronicle

The buzzer sounded and Spurs superstar Tim Duncan made his way toward Amare Stoudemire, the rising phenom.

The Spurs had just won an intense, emotional Game 5 of the Western Conference finals, with Duncan responding overwhelmingly just two nights after his chance to maybe win Game 4 was swatted away at the rim by Stoudemire.

Replays of Stoudemire's block aired all over the world, over and over again. Some players might have barked and pounded their chests at rejecting the shot of maybe the greatest player in the world.

Some might have harbored ill feelings, shown off or boasted to the media afterward, saying something stupid. In fact, many do. Too many do and too many youngsters and parents are emulating them.

But Stoudemire did not. He made the play of the game and moved on.

Duncan sets bar high
Duncan's response in Game 5? No trash talk, no silly guarantees, no boastfulness.

He was the first player on the court in Phoenix two hours before tip-off, practicing free throws. Then in the decisive victory, all Duncan did was score 31 points, grab 15 rebounds, record four assists and block three shots.

He made the biggest bucket of the game, too, tipping in his own miss at the rim with Stoudemire trying to close. Instead of roaring, talking trash or inciting the 22-year-old Stoudemire, Duncan simply turned and hustled back on defense.

And when he met Stoudemire after the game, Duncan grabbed the back of the young player's neck, pulled him close and spoke into his ear.

"Great series," Duncan told him. "I have no doubt that we'll be in this situation again. Congratulations."

Duncan then patted Stoudemire on the head, Stoudemire nodded, said thanks and the two superstars went their respective ways.

Sportsmanship is not dead in America. It's just endangered.

Contrast that display of extraordinary talent, competition and respect put on by the Spurs and Suns with what we often see even at the lowest levels of sports.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3209551

PM5K
06-03-2005, 02:59 AM
Amare just needs to cut the pushup crap because for the most part he seems like an OK guy, especially considering what he's been through in his life...

Timoha
06-03-2005, 03:19 AM
Amare just needs to cut the pushup crap because for the most part he seems like an OK guy, especially considering what he's been through in his life...

Ive read a little bit a bout his being in different high schools and (maybe) going ot jail. Can anybody fill me in as to what his story is?

Much appriciated

JMarkJohns
06-03-2005, 03:29 AM
Father died at 12, mother was in and out of jail for various reasons. Went to six different high schools in his four years, only making the grades to play one year. Was never able to go to college after his mother took several hundred (and then hundreds of thousands of dollars) on Amare's behalf...

Just a boat load of garbage.

I don't necessarily like the pushups (in fact, I hate it), but yelling or something is fine by me, no matter the player.

Amare seems to be of good character. I just hope that with success, he stays that way.

PM5K
06-03-2005, 03:35 AM
Yeah there was a story on him on Real Sports a couple years ago or so that chronicled all of that...

milkyway21
06-03-2005, 03:59 AM
Father died at 12, mother was in and out of jail for various reasons. Went to six different high schools in his four years, only making the grades to play one year. Was never able to go to college after his mother took several hundred (and then hundreds of thousands of dollars) on Amare's behalf...

Just a boat load of garbage.

I don't necessarily like the pushups (in fact, I hate it), but yelling or something is fine by me, no matter the player.

Amare seems to be of good character. I just hope that with success, he stays that way.

:huh

sounds like Cinderella man to me...pretty much like LeBron.

well, he'll definitely go places.

as for Sportmanship, as predicted the Spurs vs Suns series was the most overwhelming so far this playoffs, as i had predicted. thanks God for that..after that Sonics/Ray Allen & Denver/Karl :blah., i got tired of it all.

mavsfan1000
06-03-2005, 04:14 AM
He turned ok after going through a hard life. He could become the best player in the nba. He is only 22 and getting better.

Vashner
06-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Yea Sen McCain was on radio yesterday said Spurs are better because the are good winners AND loosers. Class acts.

johnny00
06-03-2005, 07:43 AM
We've all had a hard roll at life one time or another.

There are 8 million stories that are just as bad or worse than his.

I can't stand this look-where-he-came-from-and-how-he's-doing-now stuff. Especially for professional athletes. I don't feel that bad for him, he's probably making more than 90% of the U.S. population.

Please.

There's greater causes to support than Amare Stoudemires