PDA

View Full Version : Should Tim Duncan retire if the Spurs win the championship this year?

Jacob1983
03-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Should he? I think he should because there is probably going to be a lockout in the NBA and he is already declining as a player. He is still a decent player but do you Spurs fans really want him to eventually burn out as a player? I think it would be a good ending to a great career for Timmy if the Spurs win it this year. I hate the Spurs but Timmy is a great player and probably the best PF of all time.

BRHornet45
03-19-2011, 12:02 AM
son yes. all jokes aside, for his own legacy he should hang it up after this season. I don't think that ANYONE expected to see Duncan fall off as quickly as he has. Sure he has been showing signs of declining, but at least over the previous three seasons he was putting up about 18 and 10. Now this season he has struggled to put up 13 points per game and will more than likely fall below 9 rebounds per game as well. If Duncan retires after this season he will still finish his career averaging about 20 and 11 per game. If he continues playing simply for the paycheck, then his numbers will go down quicker and look even more pathetic than Shaq's.

Really the saddest thing about this is that Duncan is still very young at only 34 years old and it sucks seeing him struggling at such a young age. Now if he was 37, 38, or 39 and putting up those pathetic numbers then it would at least be understandable.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-19-2011, 12:04 AM
son yes. all jokes aside, for his own legacy he should hang it up after this season. I don't think that ANYONE expected to see Duncan fall off as quickly as he has. Sure he has been showing signs of declining, but at least over the previous three seasons he was putting up about 18 and 10. Now this season he has struggled to put up 13 points per game and will more than likely fall below 9 rebounds per game as well. If Duncan retires after this season he will still finish his career averaging about 20 and 11 per game. If he continues playing simply for the paycheck, then his numbers will go down quicker and look even more pathetic than Shaq's.

Who cares about stats? Timmy certainly doesn't, except the number of games he wins and the number of rings he has.

A lockout would be good for him - give him time to rest. I think he'll play 2 more years and retire with Manu.

Juggity
03-19-2011, 12:05 AM
He's got a few years of productivity left, and the Spurs are desperately in need of size, which he continues to provide. Plus he scored 22 tonight, and can turn his play up a few notches for the playoffs. Sure, he's not the player he once was, but the precipitous decline of his numbers is due to his limited minutes this season more than declining talent.

So, I'd say no he shouldn't retire yet. Not for a few years.

lefty
03-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Yes, because he will never repeat, obviously

TE
03-19-2011, 12:07 AM
No, team still needs him to anchor the paint defensively. We don't have anyone else that can do that at least have decently.

crc21209
03-19-2011, 12:10 AM

Really the saddest thing about this is that Duncan is still very young at only 34 years old and it sucks seeing him struggling at such a young age. Now if he was 37, 38, or 39 and putting up those pathetic numbers then it would at least be understandable.

:lol At this guy thinking it's all about stats. I see your a typical "Balla" type stat whore....

TE
03-19-2011, 12:11 AM

Team doesn't go through him anymore on the offensive end. If the Spurs still had a Duncan first offense he'd easily be getting close to 20 ppg.

More touches, more FGA = More shots made

Defensively, there is no one else that can anchor the defensive on the Spurs roster.

Wrong, BR, wrong.

TDMVPDPOY
03-19-2011, 12:14 AM
he still has 20m remaining on his contract, be stupid to walk away from that last paycheck

BRHornet45
03-19-2011, 12:16 AM
lol its good to see so many Spurs fans actually admitting that Duncan hasn't been a legit STAR player in about 5 years. since stats and individual success means nothing anymore all of a sudden, its all about the team!

sons you can't have your cake and eat it too. Duncan is simply a product of Pop's system and hasn't been a main piece in quite sometime. You could take virtually ANY starting big man in the NBA and put him in Duncan's place and the Spurs would still be successful. That is the God honest truth and deep down you know it ... it hurts, but you know its true. There is absolutely no "star" power in Tim Duncan anymore and hasn't been in at least 4-5 years.

TE
03-19-2011, 12:17 AM
lol its good to see so many Spurs fans actually admitting that Duncan hasn't been a legit STAR player in about 5 years. since stats and individual success means nothing anymore all of a sudden, its all about the team!

sons you can't have your cake and eat it too. Duncan is simply a product of Pop's system and hasn't been a main piece in quite sometime. You could take virtually ANY starting big man in the NBA and put him in Duncan's place and the Spurs would still be successful. That is the God honest truth and deep down you know it ... it hurts, but you know its true. There is absolutely no "star" power in Tim Duncan anymore and hasn't been in at least 4-5 years.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
03-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Yes, because he will never repeat, obviously
Magic's Lakers didn't do it until the end of their run, so he should stay.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-19-2011, 12:38 AM

Strawman, much? No-one admitted what you said in the first paragraph. And the second paragraph is complete bullshit. :rolleyes

Stats don't matter to us. Tim is still an elite defensive anchor, passer, rebounder, screen-setter and leader. His scoring has declined, so what? We don't need him to score nearly as much any more, but he can still go for 20 on any given night. You watch how much better he plays in the playoffs too.

ElNono
03-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Would certainly be nice to see Dice hang em up with a trophy...

TE
03-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Strawman, much? No-one admitted what you said in the first paragraph. And the second paragraph is complete bullshit. :rolleyes

Stats don't matter to us. Tim is still an elite defensive anchor, passer, rebounder, screen-setter and leader. His scoring has declined, so what? We don't need him to score nearly as much any more, but he can still go for 20 on any given night. You watch how much better he plays in the playoffs too.

Don't even try to hard.

Just :lmao at every anti-Duncan claim BR utters. BR hates on Duncan like Jon Barry hates on the Spurs.

It's all good bro.

jay_shs
03-19-2011, 12:44 AM
The vibe I get from this thread is a Mavs fan scared shitless that his beloved Dirk will retire ringless if the Spurs remain in the way.

Chillen
03-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Why? He has already proven he can lead a team to a championship, sure the Spurs have never repeated no argument there but right now the Spurs are 55-13 and regardless of what happens in the playoffs, he can probably play till he is 40. Just play for the Spurs and have fun, he's a future HOF and a 4-time NBA champion. If the Spurs did win the championship I don't see any reason why he would have to retire just because they won it all, this is just crap made up by fans. Basketball players should retire when their knees tell them to go f**k themselves :lol.

jay_shs
03-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Why? He has already proven he can lead a team to a championship, sure the Spurs have never repeated no argument there but right now the Spurs are 55-13 and regardless of what happens in the playoffs, he can probably play till he is 40. Just play for the Spurs and have fun, he's a future HOF and a 4-time NBA champion. If the Spurs did win the championship I don't see any reason why he would have to retire just because they won it all, this is just crap made up by fans.
Read my above post.

Chillen
03-19-2011, 12:52 AM
Read my above post.

Good point

100%duncan
03-19-2011, 01:04 AM

stupid ass piece of crap

Pelicans78
03-19-2011, 01:58 AM
Duncan should retire regardless of how the Spurs finish. He's has no business playing in the NBA. He's 4 years older than he portrays. He's done and the Spurs should release him in the offseason. Bum.

Pelicans78
03-19-2011, 02:01 AM
The Spurs aren't going to be the reason Dirk doesn't win it all.

Roger Freemason Jr.
03-19-2011, 02:20 AM

Man, I hope fate twists itself so that the Hornets somehow come out of the first round, & allows us to put the smack-down on your inferior team. If you truly believe the fecal matter that's coming out your mouth, then you really are delusional son of an ethiopian whore.

Leonard Curse
03-19-2011, 06:17 AM
i cant believe people think tim just fell off, the dude was told to go out there and get good exercise (during games) and play to stay healthy. mainly don't get hurt anymore during the reg season.

you could see during this whole season he really wasnt trying hard, i mean there were intense moments where he would. yes hes declined but the dude still puts up better numbers than gasol in his prime when he plays big minutes.

i think hes these past few games he is working himself up to the duncan we know. yeah so watch his stats go up, im serious i know it sounds dumb but they are serious about getting his knees healthy and believe me this year they are, so i expect him to be a monster in the playoffs. but from here on out i can promise you hell put up timmy numbers.

Leonard Curse
03-19-2011, 06:22 AM
and no he shouldn't retire this year.

we should focus on tiago splitter. we need to package bonner with someone else to get either a solid defensive big or get good draft picks. let timmy rest and be able destroy either off the bench or with limited minutes

now that i think about it, golden state warriors would love bonner, we could get one of their bigs haha

Bito Corleone
03-19-2011, 10:01 AM
I don't think that ANYONE expected to see Duncan fall off as quickly as he has.
Duncan > David West

ohmwrecker
03-19-2011, 10:17 AM
lol Hornets

Tp9gospursgo
03-19-2011, 11:01 AM

Why do you hate Tim Duncan so much? We rarely go to him in the post anymore because Tony and Manu are having great years and we are a great jump shooting team. Timmy will get his. Last night proves that he can still put numbers up when he needs to.

Bill_Brasky
03-19-2011, 11:05 AM

You jelly.

Juggity
03-19-2011, 11:58 AM
you could see during this whole season he really wasnt trying hard, i mean there were intense moments where he would.

This is a great point, I remember that game where he got like 3 blocks in a matter of 6 seconds. He's always been ready to step it up, but until last night's game against the Mavs, he wasn't going to get a number of minutes sufficient to allow that

w1RvA7QI0TM

SourCandy
03-19-2011, 12:07 PM
The Spurs aren't going to be the reason Dirk doesn't win it all.

Yeah mavs choke on their own.

SomeCallMeTim
03-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Duncan isn't just a good player, he's still a great player. No longer elite but better than the vast majority of players in the league.

He's the engine that drove four championships and the all-time Player of the Franchise for San Antonio so neither he nor the Spurs should be in a hurry to take him behind the barn and shoot him.

dbreiden83080
03-19-2011, 03:03 PM

LOL this is such a troll post. Timmy is playing a career low in min and playing in a new system not built around him. What team result has that produced? Best record in the NBA. Duncan has always cared more about the team than his stats, even in his MVP years. He could still put up 18 and 10 if it ran through him but he is staying fresher playing this way..

Strike
03-19-2011, 08:04 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Tim will decide when he wants to hang it up, regardless of whether or not the Spurs win a title this year.

Ghazi
03-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Yeah mavs choke on their own.

big daddy Ghazi wants to fuck the SHIT out of you

Giuseppe
03-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Gramps, taking the night off.

TheSullyMonster
03-19-2011, 10:35 PM

It would take 155 games without scoring another point for him to average 18 points a game for his career. At the end of that span, without grabbing another rebound, he would still be averaging 9.9 rpg.

His stats are fine.:lol

8FOR!3
03-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Who cares about stats? Timmy certainly doesn't, except the number of games he wins and the number of rings he has.

A lockout would be good for him - give him time to rest. I think he'll play 2 more years and retire with Manu.

The problem is you're asking a Hornets fan to care about wins and rings. He doesn't know anything about all that. :lol

Giuseppe
03-20-2011, 12:19 PM
The problem is you're asking a Hornets fan to care about wins and rings. He doesn't know anything about all that. :lol

Like asking a Spurs fan about Repeating. He's equally innately ignorant.

Dex
03-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Keep dreamin'.

DAF86
03-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Qsal_3b-dG8